Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

21 hours ago, lego the hutt said:

We can guess that there is a good possibility that it is endor (not the forest moon).  That is the assumption most fans have guessed about the planet in the trailer that is rocky with water where we see the crashed DS.  It would make sense...

@lego the hutt since you asked here is where you say it was endor, specifically stating not the forest, moon, therefore a gas giant. Again, it is not in fact a gas giant shown in the trailers.

26 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The planet from A-Wing and Millennium Falcon is Ajan Kloss, new planet from the movie. Not Yavin IV or Endor. That's it.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Personally, I think it could be a moon of Yavin.  Or do we know for sure that it’s DS2?

Edit: Sorry for going off topic.

Also, I cannot believe that Walmart and Amazon have already slashed the prices in the US, and I can’t believe that LEGO is happy, either.  Technically it’s the stores’ prerogative, but no one is going to pay $70 for a Y-Wing if they can buy it for $55, so I suspect the two retail giants will get a sharp slap on the wrist for this.  

It's either DS2 or something new, as the remains of the DS1 were canonically used to build new alderaan.

Y-wing's only $55 at amazon!?!?! Though I would say lego still had amazon and walmart buy those from them, so they probably don't care as much.

Sorry to jump in and derail the conversation, just wondering if anyone on here knows when we're getting the Obi Wan Kenobi Star Wars 20th Anniversary polybag? I had thought it would be for Triple Force Friday but....

2 hours ago, Cut the Kragle said:

Sorry to jump in and derail the conversation, just wondering if anyone on here knows when we're getting the Obi Wan Kenobi Star Wars 20th Anniversary polybag? I had thought it would be for Triple Force Friday but....

We don't have any real information, but the only things I can think of are along with a movie release, christmas, or alongside the 2020 sets.

29 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

We don't have any real information, but the only things I can think of are along with a movie release, christmas, or alongside the 2020 sets.

It's not impossible that we see it released during the fall, there could potentially be another amazon set this year as well, as the Darth Vader castle last year. 

15 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Also, I cannot believe that Walmart and Amazon have already slashed the prices in the US, and I can’t believe that LEGO is happy, either.  Technically it’s the stores’ prerogative, but no one is going to pay $70 for a Y-Wing if they can buy it for $55, so I suspect the two retail giants will get a sharp slap on the wrist for this.

I thought that stores buy sets from Lego, and then resell at their own decided price, with TLC completely out of the equation because they've already been paid.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Thanks. Feels so odd that they have left it so long after the other Anniversary sets.

20 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

It's not impossible that we see it released during the fall, there could potentially be another amazon set this year as well, as the Darth Vader castle last year. 

Another amazon set would be pretty cool, especially if they continue to have elements of non-film/show mediums. Any way to have Aphra or Cardinal would be so cool.

19 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I thought that stores buy sets from Lego, and then resell at their own decided price, with TLC completely out of the equation because they've already been paid.

Exactly. Lego won't be mad, just confused as to why the other stores are lowering their profit margins. Lego may get very slightly less money than if everyone bought directly from them, as they surely offer bulk discounts, but that's the price to having your sets sold at retail outlets.

@Cut the Kragle Yeah, it's really weird, it might even end up being a 20th anniversary thing released in the 21st year of lego star wars.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

I built the new Y-wing tonight.  I like the design of the Resistance Y-wing because it fits so well with the Rebellion model, so I can think of it as one of the Y-wing variants that were mentioned in the Dorling Kindersley cross-section book but never seen onscreen.  The fronts of the engines are nice impressions of the sensor antennae that normally remain beneath white domes.  Since these would fit under the domes, they're a pretty great design.  The new method of attaching the engine extensions is clever, but I'm not quite sure it's legal, that is that it doesn't stress the parts with imprecise geometry.  The body of the ship is solid and rigid, with surface texture that is satisfactorily detailed and different than three detailing on the Rebel model.  I really like the fact that the ion cannons can elevate. Built as instructed, they can't point forward at zero elevation, but it's trivial to fix that. The landing gear is tall and unobtrusive, and the spring shooters are placed where they're easy to use and not too conspicuous.  The new cockpit captures the sleek shape of the Y-wing nose cone better than any previous model, but I miss the brick-built stripes of the previous model.  The Walmart price of $56 is a bit higher than it could be, but not bad.  The RRP of $70 is way too high.  Unfortunately, a minifig that's not wearing a helmet with a huge bump in the back (like Zori Bliss) can't sit in the cockpit without rattling around because the seating square is entirely tiled.  It's possible to replace the tiles at the back of the seating square with plates, but the tiles at the front can't be replaced with plates because they're half of part 33909, and that part is placed inside part 43713 in such a way that it can't be removed with the brick separator.  That's a design flaw that shouldn't have made it out of product testing.  Don't they take sets apart and put them back together in the testing phase?  That's where 90% of the fun is for me, ever since I got my first Lego spaceship.

7 hours ago, Per_SW said:

Going OT for a moment, I think what both mine and @Guyon2002 problem with a "new" Y-wing is that it goes against both the new canon and the old canon/EU, now legends, as in the old one, if I remember correctly, the Y-wing was an old ship already by the time of Yavin and it was completely supplanted by the more modern B-wings by the time the empire fell; and in the new one the Y-wings in ANH are confirmed to be relics of the clone wars by Rebels (season 3 premiere, where we see them steal some which are being decommisioned). So the perceived laziness of the new Y-wing is not so much criticism on the design (which is itself a throwback to early McQuarrie sketches), but on the fact that 30something years after Yavin the concept of the Y-wing should be something already known, tested, tried and discarded.

You should have a look at poorly funded military forces around the world and what types of tanks they still use. I'd say the Resistance has to use what it can get it's hands on and if you can't buy PEW PEW, a pew pew is better than no pew at all. 

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

I've seen the reviews of the new Kylo Ren Shuttle and the new MF.

The first one is a big improvement with a good selection of minifigs. The mechanism to move the wings is so well hidden!

The MF improvement aren't that big and the minifigs selection is just ok, but the proportions are way better. I don't have that triangle piece to give better proportions, but it's very handy for MOCs. It must be a new one or it was way out of my radar... :look: 

Edited by dvogon

36 minutes ago, dvogon said:

I don't have that triangle piece to give better proportions, but it's very handy for MOCs. It must be a new one or it was way out of my radar... :look: 

It's new

There's one thing from the new wave of sets that I don't see being discussed - new lighstabers. I got the Pasaana spender chase set, and Rey's lightsabre is new - it's not those bright transparent blue from previous sets, this one is more opaque and less "blue". I really like, but does anyone know if it's the same case with Kylo Ren's lightsaber? Is it like previous ones, or is it the new one?

32 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

There's one thing from the new wave of sets that I don't see being discussed - new lighstabers. I got the Pasaana spender chase set, and Rey's lightsabre is new - it's not those bright transparent blue from previous sets, this one is more opaque and less "blue". I really like, but does anyone know if it's the same case with Kylo Ren's lightsaber? Is it like previous ones, or is it the new one?

Yeah, trans-light blue is not the same as before, at least as far as 4L bars are concerned. Promobricks has reported on the issue a while ago: https://www.promobricks.de/frueher-trans-light-blue-milchig-light-blue/85501 (article in German). Other trans-light blue elements are the same as before (e.g. the tiles in the MF) and the other colours stay the same, at least for the time being. However, trans-clear has experienced a similar change a while ago...

8 hours ago, dvogon said:

The MF improvement aren't that big and the minifigs selection is just ok, but the proportions are way better. I don't have that triangle piece to give better proportions, but it's very handy for MOCs. It must be a new one or it was way out of my radar... :look: 

I finished my MF last night, and seeing it firsthand, I'd argue the improvements are substantial. The lack of the gaps of the 2015 and 2018 falcons is a HUGE improvement, along with the mandible sizing you mention. That said, the set does leave room for improvement with some gaps in other areas, like the space between the top cover and mandibles, and a section next to the cockpit.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I think it's only rey, but that's good they're updating the lightsaber blades.

On 10/8/2019 at 7:26 AM, Guyon2002 said:

It's become normal for me not to buy sets directly from lego. I can always get sets at 15% off on release, such a discount is much better than VIP points (which are now pretty much worthless in my eyes). I can't even remember the last time I bought directly from lego, excluding a Bricks and Pieces order a few months ago

I only buy directly from LEGO for promotions or exclusives, and even then I sometimes go to the aftermarket. Australian AFOLs just get the short end of the stick way too much. 

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

I think it's only rey, but that's good they're updating the lightsaber blades.

The same goes for Obi-Wan's lightsaber :wink: As for the cause of the change: Maybe they did it to get rid of the air bubbles? The new ones seem to be more solid

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I noticed that as well, it seems to be more of a cloudy blue.  

10 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

The same goes for Obi-Wan's lightsaber :wink: As for the cause of the change: Maybe they did it to get rid of the air bubbles? The new ones seem to be more solid

Maybe they're made from that new plantplastic?

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

As far as I know, it's only the ABS type of plastic that gets replaced by pant-based material, which is chemically identical to the oil-based stuff and thus should also look the same. But we're talking about transparent parts here, which are not based on ABS and are thus not part of the replacement efforts (I think).

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I don't think so. In addition to @Lego-Freak's analysis, I'd add that lego has been making a point to show off the whole "plants from plants" thing, with only the plant parts  of some sets being made from the plant-based plastic right now. I think they would announce when it was being implemented into other sets, and even if they were, deciding to increase the plant-based plastic's use soley to lightsaber blade parts seem like a really weird choice.

On 10/5/2019 at 2:00 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Chewbacca is the same, as is the stormtrooper from the shuttle, and I heard something about r2 having a different print but I'm not sure. Absolutely no idea with c-3po. 

I tend to use the Brickset database for this however I have noticed that they have not listed the minifigures for most of the sets from the new wave of releasses. Not sure if they add them as they go along?

27 minutes ago, legolandia said:

I tend to use the Brickset database for this however I have noticed that they have not listed the minifigures for most of the sets from the new wave of releasses. Not sure if they add them as they go along?

There are no minifigures listed there, but all the parts are listed, so you can check that using minifigure's parts.

1 hour ago, legolandia said:

Bricklink is in the process of adding all the new minifigure parts for the new SW sets. I'd guess they'd have it done by next week if you want to try checking there.