Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

Wow, what a surprise. If I had the money I'd buy now Barad-Dur & the GWP instead of Rivendell only.

The Witchking comes in the big set anyway, but the other 2 figures could be Eowyn and Merry. In that case they should have Rohan armor, so I really keep my fingers crossed for some Rohan sets in the near future :excited:

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

The Witchking comes in the big set anyway,

Does he? I thought the big set has Sauron, Mouth of Sauron and "normal" Nazgul only.

Edited by sahidko

Posted (edited)

It would rather be a generic nazgul and two orcs. I don't see LEGO including three unique characters with new molds and prints in this gwp. It will sells massively anyway with this formula. It is better for them to keep super stars figures for future (expensive) sets.

Edited by Khargeust

Maybe the GWP set is based on the dead marshes to avoid any new molds? I think it will be a standard Nazgûl and then Frodo and Sam in different outfits to the Barad Dur figures 

1 hour ago, Chris10 said:

Brickclicker on IG has posted that the Barad-Dur GWP is a fell beast with three minifigures.

That would be amazing, but I will believe it only when I see it :-)

On 5/6/2024 at 6:43 AM, RichardGoring said:

Out of interest, I used Brick Hunter to calculate costs for Orthanc, without figures. Almost all the parts are available through Pick a Brick, so shipping costs don't really apply, any it came to just under $300. That's not 'do it immediately' money, but depending on what they do with Barad Dur, it might be tempting to piece it together. If you remove Treebeard and a bunch of the interior, it would be a bunch less.

I Parted together Orthanc last year (no grima or sarumon dress) with my own parts, PAB, Bricklink, and used Lego stores for somewhere around $170. 

I replaced a few parts and had to make a Bricklink order from Canada to get the stickers and a few rarer parts, and didn't build treebeard. It now it stands in my room looking very nice. 

I highly recommend parting it together if you don't care about perfect accuracy, it's a very fun set

51 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

Wow, what a surprise. If I had the money I'd buy now Barad-Dur & the GWP instead of Rivendell only.

The Witchking comes in the big set anyway, but the other 2 figures could be Eowyn and Merry. In that case they should have Rohan armor, so I really keep my fingers crossed for some Rohan sets in the near future :excited:

Not sure where you heard that. It’s only been stated that a Ringwraith is included, no one said it has the Witch King

Also, don’t hold your breath for three new figures in the GWP. It’s most likely identical Ringwraiths or Orcs

49 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Not sure where you heard that. It’s only been stated that a Ringwraith is included, no one said it has the Witch King

Also, don’t hold your breath for three new figures in the GWP. It’s most likely identical Ringwraiths or Orcs

Still an incredible gwp, really makes up for a brickheadz with Rivendell, could not be happier and will be lined up outside my store.

As much as I'd like an Eowyn/Witch-King set, I wouldn't want to see those characters locked behind a limited run GWP. My preference would be to stick with generic figures for the GWP here and save those characters for a proper set down the road.

Yeah exclusive figs in a GWP would suck, and is something they've been doing less of lately ( Beru's torso is last I can remember) a Nazgul and some orcs would be good.

1 hour ago, wesker said:

As much as I'd like an Eowyn/Witch-King set, I wouldn't want to see those characters locked behind a limited run GWP. My preference would be to stick with generic figures for the GWP here and save those characters for a proper set down the road.

100% agree. 

The GWP sounds good.  Figs will probably be a ringwraith and 2 orcs.  Looks like I may have to buy day one at the store.  

2 hours ago, wesker said:

Agreed. I'd feel guilty getting great figs like that when tons of other huge fans might miss out.

38 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Agreed. I'd feel guilty getting great figs like that when tons of other huge fans might miss out.

Agreed, I would prefer it being an extra wring wraith and two orcs or another Sam and Frodo or something like that.  If they do the witch king battle I would hope it becomes an official set next year at least (like the Rex y wing is doing).  But really hoping for more orcs and a wraith

6 hours ago, JimBaggins said:

I Parted together Orthanc last year (no grima or sarumon dress) with my own parts, PAB, Bricklink, and used Lego stores for somewhere around $170. 

I replaced a few parts and had to make a Bricklink order from Canada to get the stickers and a few rarer parts, and didn't build treebeard. It now it stands in my room looking very nice. 

I highly recommend parting it together if you don't care about perfect accuracy, it's a very fun set

Ooh, good to know, thanks. That's very tempting at that price.

6 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Maybe the GWP set is based on the dead marshes to avoid any new molds? I think it will be a standard Nazgûl and then Frodo and Sam in different outfits to the Barad Dur figures 

This seems most likely to me. Good call.

I feel like the GWP will contain generic minifigs a la battle pack. Not complaining though.

So much for waiting for double vip or something to pull the trigger on BD!

I had planned to buy this set on day 1 anyway (as I did for Rivendell). Bring it on :-)

Posted (edited)

On the one hand you don't want rare exclusive minifigs to be limited to day one purchases (and with such a high cost set), but on the other hand if it's the only way to get a fell beast, and comes with generic nazguls & orcs you want more than just one copy!

Lose-lose!

Edited by Artanis I

I hate when LEGO is locking desirable sets behind a Day One purchase of a 500€ D2C.

Hope LEGO plans to do something more with this IP than just huge D2C sets.

29 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Hope LEGO plans to do something more with this IP than just huge D2C sets.

They already are. Brickheadz.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

They already are. Brickheadz.

I meant regular sets or at least something close. Brickheadz are just a gimmick.

6 hours ago, Altair1 said:

I had planned to buy this set on day 1 anyway (as I did for Rivendell). Bring it on :-)

It went from day one to second one purchase when the GWP was mentioned lol. I feel like even if the fell-beast build is awful, just getting 3 LOTR minifigs makes the thing worth it.