WhiteFang

PRESS RELEASE for LEGO 75222 - Betrayal at Cloud City Announcement

I quite like the set but will probably hold off for a while and hope for it being discounted fingers crossed

one thing that puzzles me is the inclusion of the carbon freezer chamber 75137 ( I know its an Iconic scene ) but considering we had that set a year or two ago  ok  its retired now but lego could have brought it back ( or a modified version to fit in with this set) thus maybe putting that detail and space to better use in other rooms.

Is there any way to get this set at a discount or is it only available at lego.com for 350€?

Because I would like to get this set but I‘m not willing to pay this ridiculous price for it

13 minutes ago, topiku said:

Is there any way to get this set at a discount or is it only available at lego.com for 350€?

Because I would like to get this set but I‘m not willing to pay this ridiculous price for it

It's not even out yet. How would you be able to buy it on sale?

It's a D2C set, so it will be an exclusive to the Lego store for some time. 

If you're that worried about the price, wait for double points and you'll get an extra €17.50 worth of points for it. That's better than nothing. 

10 hours ago, ISDAvenger said:

• This amazing set is part of the LEGO® Star Wars Master Builder Series.

I am surprised no one has mentioned this bullet comment. Be interesting what future sets comes out of this....maybe a new UCS Star Destroyer?

In reference to the BACC, overall I think it is pretty cool set and will probably buy it. There will alway be pros and cons to every design.

Sorry if I'm going offtopic, but I want to say that if TLG would make another UCS Stardestroyer, they'd better not stuff it up with magnets! Otherwise I'll just get Raskolnikov's version

And what is the master builders series? Is it like UCS? I don't understand. It'd be nice if they added a lid to it to for the AFOLs.

2 minutes ago, JarJarBonks said:

Sorry if I'm going offtopic, but I want to say that if TLG would make another UCS Stardestroyer, they'd better not stuff it up with magnets! Otherwise I'll just get Raskolnikov's version

And what is the master builders series? Is it like UCS? I don't understand. It'd be nice if they added a lid to it to for the AFOLs.

What's wrong with magnets? 

I'm pretty sure the MBS is like UCS but for the playset-style sets.

UCS for display models

MBS for big playsets

Just now, nikhkin said:

What's wrong with magnets? 

I'm pretty sure the MBS is like UCS but for the playset-style sets.

UCS for display models

MBS for big playsets

Magnets are more expensive than simple hinge bricks, and may not be as strong as hinged bricks. They also don't offer the modification of the inside if you want to add an interior. 

^ I am quite certain the usage of magnets in a way of holding panels like old SD is obsolete. Nothing suggests LEGO would go back to such practice since it has been over a decade since the last time magnet bricks were used in a standard set as some sort of connection point.

Before the photos I would probably have pre-ordered using my £100+ VIP points. Now it's official, I'm a bit "meh". More for the price and questionable design.

I'd rather wait and get it at a discounted price (hopefully) for less than £250. For reference I remember once seeing the hoth UCS for £180 ish at TRU (pre administration) so there's hope... 

It also gives time for good mods to be designed. I'm thinking the two floor approach, splitting the carbon chamber and duel scene over the two floors, droid junk room underneath, etc. 

As others have mentioned, chewie/3po special design and swapping the falcon Han/Leia for some civil minifigs would have been nice.

Edited by azzer86
Price Typo

To be completely honest, I think this set is a huge disappointment. I would rather have had a big shell with the entire bottom, instead we have a medium-ish sized playlet. This doesn't really really count as UCS, as the UCS line is supposed to focus more on size and accuracy than playability. That landing pad looks like something a five- year- old would build when you think of the actual look of the CC landing pads. This would be fine as an expensive normal set, but this shouldn't have been considered UCS.

1 minute ago, caperica said:

To be completely honest, I think this set is a huge disappointment. I would rather have had a big shell with the entire bottom, instead we have a medium-ish sized playlet. This doesn't really really count as UCS, as the UCS line is supposed to focus more on size and accuracy than playability. That landing pad looks like something a five- year- old would build when you think of the actual look of the CC landing pads. This would be fine as an expensive normal set, but this shouldn't have been considered UCS.

well good thing this isn't a UCS set ... it's not labeled a UCS set, it's not classified as a UCS set, and it will not be marketed as a UCS set ... it is an expensive normal set that is part of the new master builder series ... 

I'm somewhat happy that I don't have the urgent desire to buy this set after seeing the pics. Looks like a nice set though no more no less. 

Looks like a nice set, but much smaller than the actual thing (to be fair, a minifig scale cloud city would be huge). But since the Slave I is there, I kind of hoped that the Millennium Falcon would be too. I know we just got the UCS 75192, but the Slave I is still available and they don't seem to mind featuring it here.

And because the UCS Falcon would look out of scale here, I kind of wish a smaller Falcon was provided.

43294408715_e294f44436_h.jpg

I don't have a dog in this fight but people complaining about the price need to understand that the "10 pieces per dollar" standard goes out the window when you have lots of large bricks. And this set is full of them. Multiple large plates and wedge plates, large round quarter panels, large curved slopes, etc. The size of the brick matters. 

2 minutes ago, danth said:

I don't have a dog in this fight but people complaining about the price need to understand that the "10 pieces per dollar" standard goes out the window when you have lots of large bricks. And this set is full of them. Multiple large plates and wedge plates, large round quarter panels, large curved slopes, etc. The size of the brick matters. 

Plus, the set is only 12.4 cents per piece. It's hardly the worst PPP ratio in a Lego set, and it actually fairly common these days. 

1 hour ago, danth said:

Well the D2C Hogwarts has 6020 pieces and is only slightly more expensive than this, and that has loads of cones and wedges and BURPS. The price here is solely down to the Star Wars licence. But this is really to be expected nowadays so the complaints don’t really hold much merit - people buy Star Wars and Disney slaps a premium fee on the licence, nothing new

4 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Well the D2C Hogwarts has 6020 pieces and is only slightly more expensive than this, and that has loads of cones and wedges and BURPS. The price here is solely down to the Star Wars licence. But this is really to be expected nowadays so the complaints don’t really hold much merit - people buy Star Wars and Disney slaps a premium fee on the licence, nothing new

I‘ve looked up how much each of the set weigh.

While Hogwarts Castle weighs a bit more than 5 kilos, the Cloud city weighs 4,5 kilos. So there‘s not a huge difference.

How exactly is the carbon freezing chamber attached? I can see it is connected with the walkway but the base is just freely standing. It does not seem ideal for transportation.

1 hour ago, Whovastron said:

And only 4 minifigs. The new Cloud City has 18. Minifigs always make sets more expensive. 

I don't expect many people to agree with me but I vastly prefer the scale used for the slave 1 in this set than the standard system scale. It just allows for larger ships to be represented with out being enormous and the minifigs fit well with out looking too small for the ships and it would make more mains ships available for less like ties and x-wings.

BACC is starting to grow on me. I'm more of a playsets or minifig-scale type of guy, so I hope this set is at ~25% off some day (which will probably happen only if it does horribly, like AoH). 

400CAD is a lot for this set. I'll seriously consider it if I see it at +/- 300CAD.

4 hours ago, danth said:

That's a good point. 

Re: The new Master Builders label, I read somewhere* [salt+grain] that the new classification is meant for System scale playsets; leaving gigantic UCS style ships for Star Destroyers, i.e. ships without interiors.

I've not commented on this set as I watched the shitstorm happen over on certain groups on FB and other places but now things have calmed a little...

I actually really like the set. I think it's a great looking playset that will probably display larger than people think. The minifigure choice pretty much picks itself and there are no real surprises. IG-88 does actually make an appearance as a deactivated droid hunched over in the scrap metal room with the Ugbaughts which is exactly where he is in the promo shots of the set. Whether kids would even know the EU story about IG-88 trying to ambush Fett for Han and getting his metallic backside handed to him is another matter...but at least it's a reason for him to be there.

There are four stars of the show for me. One of them is Leia. I think that Bespin gown version looks fantastic although I'd be adding the celebration hair to the figure to make it more accurate (as the original CC set had). Second is Slave 1. I think it looks superb at that scale and is one of the best midi scale ships I've ever seen lego make. Thirdly is the printing on the inside of Lando's cape. That's going straight onto my Phoenix Customs Land as I prefer that design... but I love that cape detailing. And then finally it's Han's printed legs. That Han is perfect. The greatest version of Han in Lego form we could have hoped for (someone is going to point out that he could eventually have the sleeve pockets printed aren't they!).

I have a couple of minor gripes. One of them is the reuse of Hoth Leia. We've had her twice now and one in a reasonably priced set... so having the Bespin Escape version here would have completed the Leia OT set (ANH Gown, Hoth, Bespin Gown, Bespin Escape, ANH Gown again (Medical frigate with Luke at end of ESB), Boussh, Slave, General Leia / Endor and Ewok Village dress. No other issues with the figures. I didn't need Willrow Wood as I can make a pretty good purist custom and no kid is going to know or care who he is. I also think the Cloud Car is a nice design but eh wrong colour. Red doesn't seem right at all and orange or dark orange would have been perfect.

The price just seems a little high to me although the piece count does kind of point towards this being about right for the amount of bricks, size of bricks and the amount of minifigures. If I was able to get this for around £250 I'd probably earmark it for day one purchase.

I can’t believe that after years of waiting for a cloud city set, all anyone can do is complain. What makes it worse is that this matches the description we got months ago, we knew it would look like this so there’s no surprises. I sincerely hope that this is just the opinion of the vocal minority and the people who like it are keeping their mouths shut.

I love the look of it, and I’ll be proudly displaying it alongside the Death Star and the rest of my UCS sets. Pose the minifigures in these types of sets right and they look fantastic on display. 

24 minutes ago, Robianco said:

I've not commented on this set as I watched the shitstorm happen over on certain groups on FB and other places but now things have calmed a little...

I actually really like the set. I think it's a great looking playset that will probably display larger than people think. The minifigure choice pretty much picks itself and there are no real surprises. IG-88 does actually make an appearance as a deactivated droid hunched over in the scrap metal room with the Ugbaughts which is exactly where he is in the promo shots of the set. Whether kids would even know the EU story about IG-88 trying to ambush Fett for Han and getting his metallic backside handed to him is another matter...but at least it's a reason for him to be there.

There are four stars of the show for me. One of them is Leia. I think that Bespin gown version looks fantastic although I'd be adding the celebration hair to the figure to make it more accurate (as the original CC set had). Second is Slave 1. I think it looks superb at that scale and is one of the best midi scale ships I've ever seen lego make. Thirdly is the printing on the inside of Lando's cape. That's going straight onto my Phoenix Customs Land as I prefer that design... but I love that cape detailing. And then finally it's Han's printed legs. That Han is perfect. The greatest version of Han in Lego form we could have hoped for (someone is going to point out that he could eventually have the sleeve pockets printed aren't they!).

I have a couple of minor gripes. One of them is the reuse of Hoth Leia. We've had her twice now and one in a reasonably priced set... so having the Bespin Escape version here would have completed the Leia OT set (ANH Gown, Hoth, Bespin Gown, Bespin Escape, ANH Gown again (Medical frigate with Luke at end of ESB), Boussh, Slave, General Leia / Endor and Ewok Village dress. No other issues with the figures. I didn't need Willrow Wood as I can make a pretty good purist custom and no kid is going to know or care who he is. I also think the Cloud Car is a nice design but eh wrong colour. Red doesn't seem right at all and orange or dark orange would have been perfect.

The price just seems a little high to me although the piece count does kind of point towards this being about right for the amount of bricks, size of bricks and the amount of minifigures. If I was able to get this for around £250 I'd probably earmark it for day one purchase.

Some really good point here, I must say. So long since I saw ESB back so couldn't even remember she changed outfit again for the escape, but when I check it out now, it's just plain white. Maybe that is the reason why the thrugh in another Hoth version. It's not that hard to MOC a Bespin escape version of Leia. Again the only thing missing in my point of view here is the hair, which will be hard to visualize without making a own mold 

57 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Some really good point here, I must say. So long since I saw ESB back so couldn't even remember she changed outfit again for the escape, but when I check it out now, it's just plain white. Maybe that is the reason why the thrugh in another Hoth version. It's not that hard to MOC a Bespin escape version of Leia. Again the only thing missing in my point of view here is the hair, which will be hard to visualize without making a own mold 

The torso would have been plainer but they already have some of the detailing between the vest design on the Hoth figure. It can't be any plainer than ANH gown Leia in the DS.