LegoModularFan

Making Eurobricks More Active

1 hour ago, Hobbes said:

Is the Ambassador program still active? Does TLG even do anything to reach out to their fans? 

I certainly hope so, as there are a few members with Ambassador tags currently active here at this time.

It's been a long while since I regularly posted on this forum. Speaking only for myself, I've changed a lot. I've still been checking out the front page for news, reviews or MOCs. But that's about it. I don't often go into the forums a lot anymore. My sense of community here has been sort of jarred. And I think that's due to the changing status of LEGO in the toy business. I also see people on here I used to follow and enjoy become moderators, and I respect them, and I'm glad they are helping to curate this community--so I guess it's my own diffusion of responsibility that I don't chime in more often, because I remember who these people were and their sense of idealism when it comes to our plastic brick and I trust them. 

So let's talk about LEGO. When I joined this forum over a decade ago (I was only 10!), I was intimidated. This felt like an adult play land, and I felt I had to be trusted not to betray my youth. I quickly and totally did that, but I felt accepted nonetheless and I felt like I was in a community. And the changing nature of what LEGO means now influences my perspective. 

So, 11 years ago, LEGO were what? Maybe the number 3 or 4 toy brand in the industry? There was certainly brand recognition, and LEGO were pretty popular, but nowhere near the stratospheric height of visibility and recognition they have now. LEGO has become super popular. Which is great, I hope, for all of us, because more people get to enjoy the toy we hold so dear--for all its imagination and creative potential. But LEGO was more cult like, to me, back then. You had friends with one or two LEGO sets and they wouldn't think too much about them. This forum was not for those people. This forum was for the collectors, and the MOCers, and people who talked about swooshability (kimT, where'd you go?). This forum was for people with passion for the brand. This forum was like the Cult of LEGO: a massive internet gathering of worldwide fans started by a Frenchman. I understand that we had a lot of members talking, years ago, about existing LEGO sets--so what if we added a little imagination to that and stayed true to the multi cultural spirit of this forum and imagine what sets and themes would be like if they were targeted at different nationalities? Not saying it's a great idea, but it's an idea that I hope can be adapted. My concern is increasing the shelf life of our discussion for the sets we currently have.

It was pretty hip to me, back then--seeing the worldwide reach of my favorite toy, and plus, the fact that there were adults who not only knew about LEGO, but were devoted to them? It was a big deal to me. To sum it up, this forum felt like a cool cult. LEGO wasn't the golden brand back then. It was a little more bronze, in my mind. Well regarded and notable, but still a bit on the outside looking in. And that's why this forum felt like a cult to me. We all had ways of creatively expressing our love for the brick, and I got jazzed on seeing so many people who were into it. (Plus, no smart phones). But now, LEGO is at the top, and the novelty has worn off. Even outside the forum, we all know people who regard and appreciate LEGO in a certain way. Those people can't escape it, where we dived into it.

But I think that despite the new qualities of the brand, this forum has remained a cool place to go. I think that Eurobricks is still a really cool cult--and I think the history, the mission and the management of this forum contribute to that.

I could go on. As the company has gotten more popular, leaks have become less tolerable. I worked at LBR (the LEGO Store!) a couple of years ago, and if you leak, you're fired. As a company, LEGO have to manage the mystique of their brand, but I was thrilled to check in here, years ago, and see what the big secret was. And then you have themes with narrative that consumers could invest in (I'm thinking of Exo Force and Bionicle). And they could share their own bits of narrative (like me), or discuss what was going on. It doesn't feel like LEGO have brands like that, these days, because even with Licensed, the story that people care about and buy sets for is not LEGO's responsibility. 

So on the LEGO side, I wonder if lack of investment, in narrative or new sets has influenced a lack of activity among especially the younger segments of LEGO fans here on EB. I have to say that the narrative element remains really strong here on EB, with all the roleplaying games that I've seen. And I'm sure that there's a bunch that I haven't seen. But making a narrative out of MOCs is and always will be a brilliant way to drive investment in this forum for the basic element of the brand--not the sets, but the bricks. I would suggest that a way to drive traffic to this forum given the current limitations of the LEGO Brand is to give prizes away not just for MOCing competitions, but for the roleplaying as well (has that been done?) I don't know how that's best done--if someone creates the most memorable story moment, or creates the best set piece, or changes the state of play--but I know that for those of us who may not have the time to build a MOC of bricks, but a MOC of words, if we reward people for using the resources they can use, it could reinforce and reinvigorate activity on this forum. Finding a way to reinforce is crucial, but I think that giving away small prizes (polybags, impulse sets) could snare some new visitors and invest them in EB.

Modern detachment also plays a role, too. But I don't know if there's much to do about that. Eurobricks has a Facebook page. It's not updated often. If it were, would we see more page views and clickthroughs on here? I don't know the metrics, but hipifying the aspects of Eurobricks around the forum, especially those that we could use to drive traffic to the forum... The EB Twitter hasn't been updated in 5 years. Now that Twitter is unfortunately popular again, posting about contests and MOCs--making it a mini frontpage--could really help to get clickthroughs to the site itself, and hopefully resulting in discussion and activity. 

Also, on Twitter, Just2Good posted that he rarely visits Eurobricks any more, because there are too many "fakers and immature people". I say there's always been the same amount that's just been less visible. If what he's saying is symptomatic of why EB is losing activity, then maybe it's time for a rebrand. I think that Eurobricks has retained the same format for a long time. The site could remain relevant given a redesign. Don't get me wrong. I love and cherish this site as it stands. I'm talking about getting fresh blood. Maybe a format change where this site is less of a forum and more like a Pinterest of themes and topics, with discussion triggering with a theme or topic's picture being clicked. It's a visual world now. Which is why you might be losing interest in my words, and why it might be that certain older factions no longer have the time for this site. It's too much to consume, too hard to contextualize, all words, not visually appealing enough.

Also, we've got the Reviewer's Academy, right? If we mandate every new member to go through that, not only could we educate hundreds of new members in how to talk about LEGO seriously and entertainingly (no more "immature people" remarks), but we give this site the potential for hundreds of new content creators(!), and if we're all Reviewer Members, we can all offer constructive and loving criticism, creating an even warmer atmosphere, as well as eliciting even more discussion.

Look at what LegoModularFan has done. Hobbes came out of the woodwork to talk about this. And everyone above me has made some really interesting and far more concise points. It's not secret to the regulars on here today--we still enjoy talking to each other.

That's a lot. If you read this far, thank you. Very much. I have a lot of enthusiasm for this forum. I feel like I grew into an adult here. This forum is where that shift started. All it took was a friendly community, a cult like atmosphere, and the ability to do my (really crappy) thing. Times have changed, but I think the people who love LEGO haven't. We need to appeal to their imagination by reinforcing it, shaping it, or capturing it. Because LEGO is about anything being possible to do as long as it's imaginable. And I know this site is still one of the premier sites for LEGO discussion. And I imagine that with more discussion, investment, and adaptation, we'll be #1 again.

Edited by Cyclone Titan

49 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I certainly hope so, as there are a few members with Ambassador tags currently active here at this time.

If those are new tags and not from the glory days...

27 minutes ago, Cyclone Titan said:

It's been a long while since I regularly posted on this forum. [...]

I remember you...

27 minutes ago, Cyclone Titan said:

[...] Hobbes came out of the woodwork to talk about this. [...]

I'm complaining.

Also, it's hard to read so much centered text :-P

Just to address the desire for leaks... Unfortunately as LEGO has become bigger and produce products for large IPs belonging to huge concerns (House Mouse for one) the site becomes vulnerable to litigation we can ill afford. As a fan site run by volunteer hobbyists, if someone were to leak Star Wars sets that spoil Star Wars movies (even down to a character name) then The Eared One will get lawyers on the case.

While reddit et al are big enough to shrug off the cost, Eurobricks is small fish in comparison and would end up beggared and shut down.

I know that hardly counts for much for the leak lovers, it is sadly true.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:07 AM, Captain Nemo said:

I do have some random questions for the members, if anyone is interested feel free to reply here or to me/staff directly:  

• Would you like to see more contests?
  • What is your opinion of Tags (those small images on the left <---)?  

It'd be cool if eurobricks ran more small contests with tags as prizes.

Do you use, if ever, Eurobricks reference materials (ie. lists of Reviews, lists of MOCS, lists of Forums)? 

Brickset used to have a lot of linked EB reviews, that's actually how I came across EB in the first place, and after I found EB I used its review indexes (indices?, indexopodes?) as a useful tool when deciding which sets to pick up, but as the years go on the indexes are more and more ,both because of less reviews and less updating of the indexes.

Have you participated in games on Eurobricks (ie. Role-Playing, Mafia, etc.)?  

I joined the star warts one after I first joined EB but I got confused about the rules and whether vehicles should be from star wars cannon or not e.t.c, the rules of the role playing games still confuse me a little but I wanted to join in and so I recently joined botbs.

Do you use/visit the Eurobricks Facebook page? Eurobricks on Flickr? etc. 

I recently found Eurobricks on flickr and I put some of Botbs builds there.

Do you post MOCs online? What hosting platform do you prefer to use? 

I do for some, I use flickr as an image host, I made digital mocs for flickr and most a physical mocs are not shared though I have upload my BoTBS builds to flickr so I can embed them into my botbs posts.

Do you prefer broadly defined threads or multiple specialized threads? 

Broader, because then there is less minimodding and confusion.

What is the first page you visit when opening Eurobricks on your browser? 

It used to be vaderfan2187's poll topics before he was banned and they were shut, now its probably the bricks and pieces topic.

Perhaps a forum-games sub-forum (which wouldn't count to post total) could help build a greater sense of community and would be a good place for things like a one word at time story like there used to be on here but later mysteriously disappeared maybe it could be part of the community sub-forums and stuff like the whats your favourite... or the cats one could be moved there. 

Edited by Agent Kallus

I would like to add on the "Leaks" topic: 

The reason we as staff are quick to shut down anything close to true leaking (which would be images), and ask that members not post links or blatant instructions on how to find leaks--is due to the "blame game" factor. The Lego Police, who search the web looking for Leaks tend to (in our experience) dig to find the Leak and then they just stop digging. So for example, someone posts a Leak on Instagram--then a member here posts the same image on Eurobricks. Well in like a week we get an email from Lego saying what is essentially, "what the Hell Eurobricks, you posting leaks!" because they saw that image here first so they just stopped looking. So no, Eurobricks is not leaking. But Lego views the image on our forum, stops digging, and then just points the finger at us. Which is ironic, considering Instagram and Reddit are just littered with leaks. 

---

Anywho, thank you everyone for the constructive feedback, opinions, and answers to my impromptu questionnaire. Myself and the staff are reading all of the responses. Please keep up the discussion! :thumbup:

---

Just for the record: 

3 hours ago, Hobbes said:
  • There was a Fabuland story teller
  • There was Fabuland

Fabuland is dead and buried! :blush: 

We did a collaborative Eurobricks Fabuland display at Brickworld Chicago a few years back, mind you the world's largest Lego convention--and all we got, not stop, were side eyes and whispers of "That's not Lego..." :grin:

Just now, Captain Nemo said:

Fabuland is dead and buried! :blush: 

Off topic here just a little, but I think Fabuland should be currently revived as a subtheme under the Juniors theme. After all, both cater/catered to the same "in-between" age demographic.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Off topic here just a little, but I think Fabuland should be currently revived as a subtheme under the Juniors theme. After all, both cater/catered to the same "in-between" age demographic.

Fabuland has already been revived once

Spoiler

As Chima.

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

Just now, Agent Kallus said:

Reveal hidden contents

As Chima.

Very true. :wacko:

16 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Reveal hidden contents

As Chima.

It was the gritty reboot that's all the rage with movies nowadays.

1 minute ago, KotZ said:

It was the gritty reboot that's all the rage with movies nowadays.

In other words, it was Fabuland's DC Extended Universe. :distressed:

As a side note - the "forum" style of communication is dying everywhere. I'm not sure what's really killed it, but places I used to post (such as https://arstechnica.com/civis/ where I have 29k+ posts) feel similar. For example, they both have some long-running multi-thousand post threads, and many posts with 2-3 or fewer responses, large numbers of "old-timers" and little "new-blood".

I think a big part of it is that in the "old days" you basically had to go to a forum for many things - now there are sources for various things easier found via Google than by posting on a forum. Reddit and Facebook together cover much of what forums used to do (but I hate them both).

I don't know if there really are solutions, perhaps beyond reconsidering some of the rules that no longer apply (bumping old threads is annoying in an active forum, but in a graveyard perhaps it's the only life left?).

I note that the reviews here (for example) http://heartlaketimes.blogspot.com/ seem eerily similar to Reviewer's Academy reviews. Perhaps the content has migrated away.

Maybe the domain name itself scares some non-Europhiles away? Perhaps unlikely, but it might be something.

At least it's not as dead as Lugnet (these have a very Wally-esque feeling: https://news.lugnet.com/admin/statistics/?n=19764).

12 hours ago, Cyclone Titan said:

But making a narrative out of MOCs is and always will be a brilliant way to drive investment in this forum for the basic element of the brand--not the sets, but the bricks. I would suggest that a way to drive traffic to this forum given the current limitations of the LEGO Brand is to give prizes away not just for MOCing competitions, but for the roleplaying as well (has that been done?) I don't know how that's best done--if someone creates the most memorable story moment, or creates the best set piece, or changes the state of play--but I know that for those of us who may not have the time to build a MOC of bricks, but a MOC of words, if we reward people for using the resources they can use, it could reinforce and reinvigorate activity on this forum. Finding a way to reinforce is crucial, but I think that giving away small prizes (polybags, impulse sets) could snare some new visitors and invest them in EB.

I think that is a nice idea, but if it is to attract new people, then the rules are going to have to be understandable to anyone new to the game. I've looked a couple of times at some of the role playing areas and just backed out. If you have to invest hours or days of reading to try to understand what is going on, then it won't attract new members.

12 hours ago, Cyclone Titan said:

Also, we've got the Reviewer's Academy, right? If we mandate every new member to go through that, not only could we educate hundreds of new members in how to talk about LEGO seriously and entertainingly (no more "immature people" remarks), but we give this site the potential for hundreds of new content creators(!), and if we're all Reviewer Members, we can all offer constructive and loving criticism, creating an even warmer atmosphere, as well as eliciting even more discussion.

A similar thing here. I'm sure any new members would be better members having followed that. But if you have to follow an education program before you are allowed to join, then I doubt many people would join.

10 hours ago, bombcar said:

I think a big part of it is that in the "old days" you basically had to go to a forum for many things - now there are sources for various things easier found via Google than by posting on a forum. Reddit and Facebook together cover much of what forums used to do (but I hate them both).

This

Some people come here only for news but now you can get then on your feed on Twitter or Facebook, so for them there is really no need to come here anymore

12 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

[...] Unfortunately as LEGO has become bigger and produce products for large IPs belonging to huge concerns [...]

One of the biggest problems with the product...

11 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

We did a collaborative Eurobricks Fabuland display at Brickworld Chicago a few years back, mind you the world's largest Lego convention--and all we got, not stop, were side eyes and whispers of "That's not Lego..." :grin:

As I said, clueless people.

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

[...] "in-between" age demographic.

Now that's just wrong marketing. Fabuland caters to the 40-plusses, everybody knows that. But that's off-topic.

I agree with the sentiments that forums are not a "modern" place for discourse. Unfortunately. My "demographic" finds it uninteresting because of all the youngins who still have to learn a lot and grow up in a world of yet another declining LEGO product. Due to the lack of knowing a good product they think it is good. Poor souls. So we old people leave the forums because we tell ourselves that we don't really need that exchange (family, work and so on). But secretly we miss it. Classic midlife crisis.

The only solution is to ban everybody under the age of 35 and bring the old people back. The others can use myspace or tweet on flickr or whatever they do nowadays...

On 5/2/2018 at 1:49 AM, Littleworlds said:

I find it a shame that excellent and inventive MOCs often get no comments at all, or just very few. Of course we can't force people to appreciate them, and honest c&c is better than just generic praisal - but it would be nice to see interest in MOCs increase.

Totally agree. That's an important factor to keep members active IMO. I saw that several members stopped sharing their MOCs on EB as they didn't get a lot of replies in their latest MOCs. And some of those members didn't use to make anything else but sharing their MOCs on EB. So some of them don't even visit anymore... :sceptic: 

On 5/2/2018 at 3:30 PM, paupadros said:

@LegoModularFan has some really cool topics that I try to follow. I think showcasing modulars is firstly, very inspiring, but secondly, and antidote to the increasing speed on that forum.

Many thanks, that's really kind. I've been trying to let people write more and make the Town Forum more active for some time and I'm glad you think my presence is useful!

On 5/2/2018 at 5:56 PM, Chilis said:

@legomodularfan for bringing the question to the table.

You're very welcome, I need that's an important thing for the future of EB!

On 5/2/2018 at 10:40 PM, bombcar said:

For example; there is no list of Reviewer's Academy reviews that I can find. I love reading them, but I have to manually poke around to discover new ones.

Indeed, it would be great to have a list of Reviewers Academy's reviews! I'd also love to have a list of all members in Reviewers Academy, I don't know if that already exists.

On 5/3/2018 at 10:23 AM, Peppermint_M said:

Thanks for this thread @LegoModularFan I have also noticed how things have quieted down.

You're very welcome! I'm still surprised how serious this thread is taken! I knew EB was a great forum! :sweet:

On 5/3/2018 at 10:23 AM, Peppermint_M said:

I have also seen a change in that text reviews are now less popular, people like video reviews. Would people like video reviews to be indexed in the review index? 

I am glad that people like mini contests and tags. I can arrange a lot of those! 

Another thing: What would encourage people to post more/more MOCs?

It would be quite useful to see video reviews indexed! Very nice to hear you can arrange a lot mini contests and tags BTW! I'm not sure what would encourage other people to post. Personally, I find it enjoyable to write posts. I think it's the ranks which encourage me to post! One of the most active posters I saw on EB is @Digger of Bricks. Maybe he could give some of his reasons. For MOCs, I think it's enough interest and importantly some feedback. I also think it would be a huge step to make lurkers post.

On 5/3/2018 at 1:03 PM, RogerSmith said:

(early 2013 with my first account, I think it was)

I know that's a stupid and a useless question but what was your name in your first account? I can't help wondering... :tongue:

On 5/3/2018 at 1:03 PM, RogerSmith said:

2) There's less nostalgia:

I agree. I never thought about it, I even didn't know @LEGO Historian but checked out some of his stuff and looks really interesting. It would be great he restarts making these threads!

On 5/3/2018 at 2:15 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

I'd like to particularly lament upon how inactive The Embassy Forum is. In concept, it should be earning a lot more attention, given that it's essentially a near direct line of communications to TLG through Ambassadors. 

I completely agree! I think this would be an important step as well. I personally like the topics you posted but I don't use them as I doubt the suggestions posted there are still delivered to TLG because of the lack of interest by members (except these last days). If the suggestions are still delivered or they'll start to be delivered again, you'll definitely see me there because I have a lot of recolor and a few new piece ideas! Thanks so much to whoever confirming this! Maybe I need to post this there though.

What you said is quite interesting, @MAB.

21 hours ago, MAB said:

LEGO IDEAS.

I agree with what you said about Ideas. Indeed, it's rather annoying that someone comes simply to promote his project. I'm totally ok with someone presenting his MOC normally with putting just one Ideas link though. 

Hey @Hobbes, it's nice to see you around, even for someone you didn't know but that "someone" already knew you! :laugh: I came across your several posts and was thinking "another Fellow that's no longer posting... :hmpf_bad:" Maybe this topic already started to have impact! :blush: Your point of view is certainly different than many others, there are things I agree and not. Anyway, hope to see you around more often! Your presence on EB will make every member happy, especially the older ones and may also bring back some other older members! :shrug_oh_well:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll reply to more of you guys but in another comment, there are already plenty quotes in this one and figured out if I continue to quote people in this comment, it's going to be unreadable! :grin:

I have a suggestion which would definitely attire more AFOLs here: a translate option. Only people speaking English could join here but that translate option - I think - would seriously let EB become a real international forum. What do you think about it, everyone?

BTW, it's amazing to see how much this topic got interest! Please continue sharing your opinions, thoughts and suggestions, everyone! :classic:

Post edited according to the comment of @Robert8

Edited by LegoModularFan

12 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I know that's a stupid and a useless question but what was your name in your first account? I can't help wondering... :tongue:

I have a suggestion which would definitely attire more AFOLs here: a translate option. Only people speaking English could join here but that translate option - I think - would seriously let EB become a real international forum. What do you think about it, everyone?

BTW, it's amazing to see how much this topic got interest! Please continue sharing your opinions, thoughts and suggestions, everyone! :classic:

My first account was Roger_Smith. I had to change computers after the main HD died, had forgotten the password, and didn't have access to the email adress I used to sign up anymore...

Nay on the translate option. While the idea sounds nice in theory, that technology isn't ready yet, and most posts would propably read similar to the instructions for a cheap chinese knockoff of a cheaper version of a popular consumer product...especially with all the special AFOL terms that are thrown around round here.

35 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I didn't know that before. That's something that definitely needs to be taken in hand. I think the staff is generally right about the bans, however @CM4Sci and @VaderFan2187 seem to be missed here a lot and looked like active posters.  According to what I saw, @CM4Sci took break several times but it seems like @VaderFan2187 didn't act too wrongly. I wish the staff would give them another chance, especially to @VaderFan2187.

I don't really think we should take the discussion there because the thread might be closed 

Edited by Robert8

2 hours ago, Hobbes said:

The only solution is to ban everybody under the age of 35 and bring the old people back. The others can use myspace or tweet on flickr or whatever they do nowadays...

:iamded_lol:

This thread should be named

"Make Eurobricks Great Again" :laugh:

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

This thread should be named

"Make Eurobricks Great Again" :laugh:

MEGA? Nah, too close to the knock offs of LEGO.:grin:

8 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

[...] there are things I agree and not.[...]

Like what?

15 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

One of the most active posters I saw on EB is @Digger of Bricks. Maybe he could give some of his reasons. 

I usually post where I can, when I can, primarily to give my two cents in the hopes of perhaps influencing those at TLG, and to steer set based discussions towards a more MOCing point of view. :wink:

I never thought about it, I even didn't know @LEGO Historian but checked out some of his stuff and looks really interesting. It would be great he restarts making these threads!

I just love @whitswj and @1974's contributions to @C0zmic's LEGOLAND non-production parts topic! Not only are the parts they have fascinating, but they potentially offer a glimpse into what just could have been! :classic:

If the suggestions are still delivered or they'll start to be delivered again, you'll definitely see me there because I have a lot of recolor and a few new piece ideas!

Really! I would certainly love to hear some of those part ideas of yours! :grin:

I'd totally be on board for that, as it would most certainly broaden our community's horizons! But, like @Roger_Smith said, I'm afraid that the translation technology is just too inadequate currently. :sceptic:

7 hours ago, KotZ said:

MEGA? Nah, too close to the knock offs of LEGO.:grin:

Oh dear! :distressed:

On 5/3/2018 at 9:23 AM, Peppermint_M said:

I have also seen a change in that text reviews are now less popular, people like video reviews. Would people like video reviews to be indexed in the review index? 

To be entirely honest, I think that would be a waste of your precious time. Most video reviews are just embedded YouTube reviews and people will most likely just look them up on youtube. (Myself included)

I am glad that people like mini contests and tags. I can arrange a lot of those! 

:sweet:

I have also seen that the activity that is here is more talking about future sets and looking for leaks, not about creating and sharing. Again, a culture change or just what people want to use forums for?

Another thing: What would encourage people to post more/more MOCs?

Now I have a crazy idea that I think would help. I call it the Eurobrick awards or Eurobrickys for short. It would be an annual MOC awards and each forum would have a topic where people could nominate mocs from that forum eg. pirates ,star wars or historical, a short list could then be created from the nominations by judges/judge and then put to the polls, and the 1st 2nd and 3rd from entry category would receive a relevant tag. If permitted I could do most of the heavy lifting myself though we might want some one more skilled to make the tags (but I'd be happy to try.) and as well as the main subforums we could also have a few extras like ldd builds only, mircoscale or brickheadz etc. Just a crazy idea, I don't mind if you don't like it or want to put someone else in charge of it.

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

Now I have a crazy idea that I think would help. I call it the Eurobrick awards or Eurobrickys for short. It would be an annual MOC awards and each forum would have a topic where people could nominate mocs from that forum eg. pirates ,star wars or historical, a short list could then be created from the nominations by judges/judge and then put to the polls, and the 1st 2nd and 3rd from entry category would receive a relevant tag. If permitted I could do most of the heavy lifting myself though we might want some one more skilled to make the tags (but I'd be happy to try.) and as well as the main subforums we could also have a few extras like ldd builds only, mircoscale or brickheadz etc. Just a crazy idea, I don't mind if you don't like it or want to put someone else in charge of it.

That's a good idea. It would also get people to see builds in forums they might not frequent, and maybe they'll get an itch to start exploring there.