I've been up for like 20 hours and almost cooked my computer, so I'll just leave it here and write more later:

Very good and thorough review as always! I look forward to picking this set up whenever it makes in to Canada... Thanks! 

Great review as always!

I don't like the look of this model at all, it looks incomplete, ugly and it is expensive. I don't I would want to buy this at all.

BTW: I liked your old logo better!

29 minutes ago, IstakaCiti said:

Great review as always!

I don't like the look of this model at all, it looks incomplete, ugly and it is expensive. I don't I would want to buy this at all.

BTW: I liked your old logo better!

I am thinking what to write but someone wrote it first. One of the worst Technic sets I have ever seen.

It is a good technic set because of the functions and mechanisms it has, which is the most important thing about lego technic.

Some people prefer manual functions to electric or electric to rc.

The ocean explorer is far worse because it's essentially a creator/city/whatever design but made in technic. It has like two small functions.

Where as the 42070 has many functions.

Edited by SNIPE

Good review Sariel nice work :thumbup:

As for the set, I like that the dog bones come in a colour other than grey, red is a useful colour to have them in. Apart from that, can't see anything else to like. The functions do work well it seems if you only want to drive this supposedly off road all terrain truck on a perfectly flat floor, but the mechanics behind them are entirely unrealistic. The shape of the truck is good but the colour hasn't grown on me at all, it's still like a babies toy. And still I get the feeling that it was a rushed design, like tlg didn't allow much time for the design phase. This set overall feels like a Micheal Bay movie. Big and loud and striking looking on the box to attract younger fans, but it's pure fantasy without any hint of believability and nothing really new or of any substance to attract those who actually care about what they are paying for. 

Great review, Sariel, thanks for making it! I think you cover all aspects very well. There seems to be a lot of complexity inside, but it all doesn't work out as we (as fans) would have liked. It's too bad. I think this could have been a great set. The lack of any front suspension is a big let-down, and in the rear, springs would add to the suspension too.

Also, the price is outrageous. I really feel that 2 stars for "value" is too much; this should have been 1 because, well, is there any set of worse value? I also feel that "functions" should have been 2 stars instead of 1, because the outriggers work, the crane works, so 4 out of 6 functions work pretty fine. You seem so let-down by the drive/steer (rightfully), but seem to forgot that this rating is a rating of all six functions. I really think one star is too harsh here.

I guess you can't expect a set that's both very big and great.

Good to see you mention your worries about the again new color. I do think you could also pay attention to what kind of pieces you get in the new color and how useful/versatile you think they are. As I complained about in the other pictures, all you get are thick beams and panels. Personally I think this deserves a mention (idem for 42069).
Looking forward to your other reviews. Curious how 42069 will fare, and whether 42068 has any surprises.

And I think @allanp sums it all up very well.

Thanks for the review and for confirming my thoughts on this set. A missed oportunity for TLG to make the Technic line even greater...

Thanks for the review, it was a pleasure to watch, as always :classic:

As others said some pictures of the gearbox would have been great, it seems TLG cared for the driving function to have a small number of gears between the motor and wheels which doesn't seem that easy considering the complexity of the gearbox.

Also what do you think about a "Modability" rating? After your video i really want to build the truck without diffs and with some kind of suspension in the last axle :laugh:

Note box graphics say RC not PF is this the new disignation for power Functions now ?

Great review and I definitly won't be buying this set. Looks flashy but crane looks tiny compared to the rest of the vehicle and playability poor due power limitations / drive train etc as shown in review.

Edited by Doug72

Beautiful and detailed review as always, thank you Sariel! I think it is a great feedback to TLG, which reflects the opinion well of many of us.

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:
Also, the price is outrageous. I really feel that 2 stars for "value" is too much; this should have been 1 because, well, is there any set of worse value? I also feel that "functions" should have been 2 stars instead of 1, because the outriggers work, the crane works, so 4 out of 6 functions work pretty fine. You seem so let-down by the drive/steer (rightfully), but seem to forgot that this rating is a rating of all six functions. I really think one star is too harsh here.

Though, totally agree with Erik in the above written. Also what I really miss: if there is gearbox position, where You can roll the truck by hand, and rotate freely the steering, than an additional HOG would have been a really-really nice feature. @Sariel: The steering angle is also disappointing, is there space to increase it with easy modification?

As the sets are tested by children initially befor finalizing the design (as seen previously in the 8275 designer video), I am really surprised about the performance... As a small kid I would have expect to drive such a big rough truck trough pretty much on everything, with devastating result on the obstacle. I know that every generation is different - as always, but was it really enough to have it big, and cool looking? :hmpf_bad: I tried to like this set, as the appearance is badass, and I like the gearbox, the outriggers, the crane (which looks also unfinished), but as @MajklSpajkl said too, it is a missed opportunity in many aspects.

• If it drives remotely, than remote should work properly - it is a known pain for years, presented in the video properly.
  • If it is called All-terrain truck, it should climb well, it should be powerfull as hell
  • Me neither can justify the price tag, I just don't see where is the money gone... springs, working front suspension, +1 XL motor for drive should have been part of the package. For 200-210 Euro RRP it would be totally fine for me as it is.

Overall, I feel like the 9397 logging truck (RRP: 119 Euro) is the same category technically and in functions as 42070. Both have nice gearbox solutions, clever motorized outriggers and crane, drivetrain, 4 cylinder engine. 42070 is... well, just bigger and azure pimped. The suspension and remote driving basicly do not add anything as advantage, as they practically useless (as I see).

Edited by agrof

I think modability is really low, the differentials are very difficult to remove and the motors and clutch gears are buried very deep inside the chassis. It's difficult to show the gearbox for the same reason. Seems that you'd need to strip it down almost completely to do any serious modding.

I don't play around with models much so the limited playability isn't much of an issue for me. I think I'll still get it just for the sake of having a big bad good-looking and fairly realistic tow truck in my collection. The most recent tow truck before this is 42008 and it's abysmal to me.

About the structure, it's quite unusual to see an XL motor connected only through the front pin holes. This from Uwe Wabra, who properly secures the side holes of XL motors in his other creations that use this type of motor, namely 8258 and 42030. I would venture for a guess that he has to keep the weight of the model to minimum.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

This is too much of a disappointment. I completely agree with Sariel's rating, and I won't be thinking about buying this set. 42055 is $40 cheaper in Canada! 

48 minutes ago, Sariel said:

I think modability is really low, the differentials are very difficult to remove and the motors and clutch gears are buried very deep inside the chassis. It's difficult to show the gearbox for the same reason. Seems that you'd need to strip it down almost completely to do any serious modding.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the Info :classic:

Don't mean to double post this.... I just made this exact comment on the 2017 set discussion but then I realized that Sariel had a whole new thread for his video review of the 42070.  But I think the following is worth mentioning about the price.  Now, I will reiterate; in no way do I think the following justifies the price.  I will say it again - The following does NOT justify the price IMO :wink: - whew.... okay, now that I said it like 50 times I will say that I think the following is an important point to consider, and may have a tiny bit to do with the elevated price.....

Great review as always.  I know these reviews are a ton of work but the efforts are well worth it. 

Again, similar to my comment above, I think weight of the box (and set) are underappreciated.   But very important and they have more significant relationships with price than do piece count.

The price (want to avoid any discussion here of getting "deals" on the 'bay, Amazon, etc - what I am concerned about is Lego's pricing) will bug people for a long time.   Deter many, including me - and the following in no way actually justifies the price, IMO, but it is something I think to note. Sariel listed the weight of the box.  4033 grams.  The other two Technic sets that sit to the right and left of 1862 (piece count of 42070) are 42030 (Volvo Loader) and 8258 (crane truck).  Their respective box weights are 3590 and 3570.  So, 42070 weights roughly 450 grams more than either.  42030 has tons of PF whereas 8258 had slightly less than 42070.  But still, 42070 is heavier, by nearly 500 grams, than either of those sets (booklets notwithstanding, please try to no get too deterred by the booklets and box.  Such are heavily correlated with each other.  Larger sets, larger boxes and booklets.  So although they add substantially to the weight of the overall set package, so do they, to a similar degree, to comparative sets).   This additional weight has to count for something, and I assume it has something to do with the price.  Of note, 42070 is heavier (box and all) than the next FIVE sets in succession (piece count), beginning with, like I said, 8258, and then 8285, 8421, our beloved Claas (by about 1200 grams), and yes, even the Unimog (by about 400 grams).  Given the Claas has 4 of the massive tires, and other sets such as the Unimog four of its massive tires (same with Volvo Loader and others) I certainly don't think the difference is only because of the massive tires in the 42070.  But likely part of it.  Probably a function of the panels, tires, and the overall fact it is a large model.  

If there still are some who are overly concerned about booklet and box in reference to the above reasoning,  Sariel also published the weight of the model.  2456 grams.  If there are any wonderful souls out there that have an intact Unimog or other of the mentioned sets above (with batteries) that would be willing to weigh and submit it would be interesting to compare how much actual ABS the 42070 has in relation to other large sets with similar piece counts.......

I agree with most of what has already been stated. This is way overpriced and the functions are subpar in my opinion. Could have been an interesting parts donor set in terms of rare/unique parts if it cost less. Still, it seems to be more complex than previously thought, so it may end up been a good learning set. 

Thanks for the review @Sariel:)

To the model...: I like the look, and the big wheels... the functions (outriggers, crane) seem to be ok. But the price...*huh*

I just got some money to buy new Lego-stuff... and i was also thinking about maybe buying this set... but sorry TLG!!!! ... im not crazy. This set would be ok for 120-150€ i would say ...and if it would be in this price-range, im sure my money would go to this.

But now, i think i will buy a 9398 and attach my claas xerion-wheels to it.

Or maybe, you could wait until 42069 is reviewed, and if that is to your liking, put your Claas tyres on that :)

15 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Or maybe, you could wait until 42069 is reviewed, and if that is to your liking, put your Claas tyres on that :)

Well.. at the moment it seems this would be my prefered set... but there are no power functions included :(

Not everything beautiful in life can be seen, just as not every beautiful Lego Technic set can have Power Function :wink:

Very true. The Porsche is beautiful and any improvements or differences I would have liked to see don't involve power functions.

Two questions: why do all the differentials need to be removed to make it a trial truck? Wouldn't it need at least one to be able to drive properly when turning or do trial trucks not turn? Secondly, why do you always call the bag for the instructions/stickers a foil bag, @Sariel?

1 hour ago, mattthewise said:

Two questions: why do all the differentials need to be removed to make it a trial truck? Wouldn't it need at least one to be able to drive properly when turning or do trial trucks not turn? Secondly, why do you always call the bag for the instructions/stickers a foil bag, @Sariel?

Trial trucks need grip at ALL wheels, ALLWAYS...

If there is a differential, and you loose contact to ground with just 1 wheel, or slip in mud, you are just stuck. All the motorpower will go to the liftet/slipping wheel, and nothing is left for those wheels wich could bring you out of this situation again. No differential means all wheels rotate at the same speed, at any time, no matter if they have grip or not.

In real life trial trucks use lockable differentials, to get out of those situations. But on loose terrain, you dont need a differential at all... the surface is slippery enough to give the required balance between the wheels.

3 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Erik,I'm afraid that CLAAS tires are too big, tires with 81,6 or perhaps 95mm would fit - please take a look at mudguards. It was nice comparison with various tires on Porsche Review by @Jim if I remember correctly, But I agree 42069 is #1 set this year no doubt.

BTW great review as ever Pawel :thumbup: