I created this modified Bucket Wheel Excavator some time ago, and I thought I would like to share it on this forum.

After building the original BWE, I wanted to try to incorporate some Mindstorms functions into it. I managed to motorise all the active functions, using both an EV3 brick and motors, as well as some PF motors.

IMG_1393.jpg

Functions can be preprogrammed, or can be remotely controlled using an EV3 IR remote. Here is a list of the functions:

Bucket wheel rotation and main conveyor belt - PF XL motor

Lower conveyor belt - PF medium motor

Boom arm elevation - EV3 large motor

Lower conveyor swivel - EV3 large motor

Superstructure rotation - EV3 medium motor

Driving - EV3 medium motor

Since I owned an NXT as well, I used it to motorise the small mining truck that was included in the set.

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

There are also some LEDs that illuminate the 'work area', but they don't really do a good job, its just a nice thing to include.

IMG_1408.jpg

Here is a video of the excavator in action, as well as the mining truck (sorry about the poor resolution and bit rate):

More info about the machine can be found here: https://www.us.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/community/robot?projectid=3e125a5b-475c-4a4c-b3ed-e4b4f2192907

Let me know what you think of it in the comments!

Edited by The_Icestorm

This is really impressive. :thumbup: I like how you fit all the stuff in the small truck. What would be really cool is if you could have the 2 communicate, and have the truck drive to the conveyor when it starts spinning.

It seems that you managed to fix biggest disadvantage of this set and make it faster in all functions :thumbup: