Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

Delightful! It's a pleasant surprise to see a non-broken version of the classic helmets, and both new and old colors of classic space figures (including Yellow, which seemed the unlikeliest of the classic space astronaut colors to return). As a sort of silly bonus, the pink torso also means that classic space torsos are now available in all the classic Power Rangers colors. :P

Also, in the Metalbeard's Motor Trike set (70834), Benny has not just a robot arm but also a visor. Getting them upgrades left and right!

Naturally, other sets also feature various less traditional sorts of aliens and spaceships. Definitely check them all out when you get the chance! Right now I'm still looking through them on The Brothers Brick's article, which not only has lots of pictures but also descriptions that might reveal features that's aren't so obvious in the pics.

Just saw the character names and they're AMAZING.

The pink, white, and yellow spacemen respectively are named Lenny, Jenny, and Kenny. :tongue:

Already kinda posted this in the Special themes forum, but...

Benny's Space Squad?????? Shut up and take my money!!! :wub::wub::wub:

I'll definitely get a couple of those. You never can have enough classic spacemen.

Also nice to see the 918/924 tribute in Emmet & Benny's Workshop, though it's nose looks VERY stumpy - they try to conceal that by putting Benny in front of it on the box art, but it's obvious that the nose is a 6-wide straight. They should've gone that with a more pointy nose instead..

16 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Already kinda posted this in the Special themes forum, but...

Benny's Space Squad?????? Shut up and take my money!!! :wub::wub::wub:

I'll definitely get a couple of those. You never can have enough classic spacemen.

Also nice to see the 918/924 tribute in Emmet & Benny's Workshop, though it's nose looks VERY stumpy - they try to conceal that by putting Benny in front of it on the box art, but it's obvious that the nose is a 6-wide straight. They should've gone that with a more pointy nose instead..

I imagine the reason the nose is like it is is that it's a Juniors/4+ set and as such the large wedge plates had to be used for most of the wing structure. But even then it's a remarkably faithful take on the Classic Space aesthetic, especially considering having to work with that limitation.

Well, I can never complain about anything LEGO ever does again. They're giving us a Classic Space battle pack with NEW CLASSIC HELMETS. And the classic trans-yellow windscreen (slightly different mold, I know, don't care).

Now I basically have to shut up forever.

Although they probably want to take advantage of that new Classic helmet...I predict more throwback sets.  

That Classic Space battle pack will be on backorder by the end of day 1.  They might have to put a limit on how many you can buy initially.  Yeah, it is going to be sought after big time.  

*oh2* One of those will be a gift for someone, the other will multiple-y not be a gift for anyone.

Beside Benny and Friends, here are few other Space-related sets from the upcoming sequel:

70828 — Pop-Up Party Bus | 1,013 pieces | $79.99 USD

Spoiler

LEGO-Movie-2-70828-Pop-Up-Party-Bus-02-1

70831 — Emmet’s Dream House/Rescue Rocket | 706 pieces | $69.99 USD

Spoiler

LEGO-Movie-2-70831-Emmet%E2%80%99s-Dream

70835 — Rex’s Rexplorer | 1,172 pieces | $119.99 USD

Spoiler

LEGO-Movie-2-70835-Rex%E2%80%99s-Rexplor

Also, check out the other spaceship seen at the 1:25 mark of its trailer:

Just now, x105Black said:

Love the Classic Space throwback set and the pink Classic Spaceman.

Great stuff.

I think we're so desperate for Classic Space stuff (myself included) that any hint of a CS set would excite us. But look at Benny's Space Squad - it's only minifigs and a handful of pieces.

Yes, I'll be getting it myself too for sure, but let's be honest, this is really a poor set. To the starving man, crumbs feel like a banquet... :/ 

Yellow hips. Yeah, naked minifigs return!

I would have preferred another colour other than white. That was done relatively recently in the classic spaceman set.

2 hours ago, Captain Mutant said:

I think we're so desperate for Classic Space stuff (myself included) that any hint of a CS set would excite us. But look at Benny's Space Squad - it's only minifigs and a handful of pieces.

Yes, I'll be getting it myself too for sure, but let's be honest, this is really a poor set. To the starving man, crumbs feel like a banquet... :/ 

Absolutely.

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Also, check out the other spaceship seen at the 1:25 mark of its trailer:

Here's a screenshot by the way:

Rex Dangervest's Starship/Freighter from The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part Trailer

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I keep on seeing people referencing the helmets being old style, but as far as I can see from the images they're not. The rim is thicker - is it just me seeing this?

Yes, the rim of the new helmets is a little thicker than the rim of the vintage helmets, but it's not a dramatic difference.  The important thing is that the shape of the helmet on the top and rear, and the shape of the visor opening, deliberately mimic the vintage helmets.  It's close enough to look the same, whereas when they've reissued Classic Space minifigs before they've used the standard modern helmet, which bulges at the back.

Also they made the chinstrap thicker in the 80s too. So making it a little thicker again now seems appropriate.

18 hours ago, danth said:

Although they probably want to take advantage of that new Classic helmet...I predict more throwback sets.  sic 

I could see a Bright Red Classic Spaceman with the new helmet someday appearing as a commemorative CMF (similar to the Series 18 Classic Policeman CMF), perhaps with a 2 by 3 tile printed with the LL928 Galaxy Explorer's box art. :shrug_oh_well:

That ship looks really impressive

At the 1:31 mark of the trailer, you can see that it has a LL928-like spoiler. :wink:

unlike Rex's Rexplorer which looks like a tank mated with a shoebox :/ 

Yes, but do dig its dual Trans-Light Blue X-Wing canopy recolors! :sweet: