Mike S

Coyle Banana Plantation, Stormhaven, Serentia

The log of Representative Aiden Coyle. 4th October 616:

Having heard of the banana plantation in Mooreton Bay, Alicentia, I decided it was time to have a banana plantation of our own in Stormhaven. The soil around the land in Stormhaven's immediate vicinity is mostly sandy or swampy but with the help of a ship full of newly arrived convicts that I had personally selected from one of the mainland prisons, the plantation was soon cleared and the soil around the newly planted banana trees treated with fertile soil transported from farther inland. A herd of goats were brought to the plantation to help keep the plantation from returning to its overgrown state before the convicts had cleared it. The convicts were promised a portion of the profits as well as free room and board including rum, so they set about their duties with more enthusiasm than they normally would have. I made sure that armed patrols kept a lookout for trouble from the natives and local wildlife but the Quatlicyei we came across earlier in the year must have been a sole party from a nearby island as we have not seen another native since.

END OF ENTRY

30106707932_c51aeccbbf_c.jpg

29592089903_d93433657f_c.jpg

30186652516_3f88d1dcca_c.jpg

30136204041_9f3df0160a_c.jpg

Edited by Mike S

Great job with the tall trees! I've got to figure out just how you've put the leaf pieces together. And if I see what you did, that's a very clever solution to creating the bunches of bananas.

Overall the build is nicely detailed, and I like that the building is at an angle. Well done!

Well despite my non-purist solution I was relatively happy with my banana trees.... that is until I saw this! It would be no exaggeration to say my jaw dropped on seeing those beautiful trees. I'd love a detailed shot if you have one, they are gorgeous! Overall a great plantation, fantastic job - well done!

The trees are great, and I guess that's especially important given the subject matter! :laugh:  The roof on the building is also nice.  Well done.

As others have said, the way you managed those banana clusters is ingenious! :thumbup:  I'm really loving the roof too, it has a great texture to it!

Thanks for the comments! I'm hoping to take more pictures when I can take it outside for better lighting. Might not be until Sunday before I get a chance though....

Now as the rest of the folks I'll zoom in, trying to grab some technique :-)). Well done, well executed!!

I'm certainly very jealous of that.  I have found trees a real challenge and you have knocked it out of the park here.  The roof is lovely too, there are many areas worth a comment but the trees are standout. GJ.

The banana clusters and trees are the best part of this build, but I also really like the roof technique. Great explanation on the inclusion of the goats. Glad to see MOCs from you again. 

Thanks again for the comments! Things still aren't looking too bright here for taking more photos with the hurricane and all. Hoping the skies will have cleared by Monday so I can take better pics.....

As other people have said, those banana trees look amazing.

Really like the texture of the roof as well

On 10/7/2016 at 9:09 AM, Puvel said:

As other people have said, those banana trees look amazing.

Really like the texture of the roof as well

Thanks!

Updated first post with hopefully better pictures...

Thanks for the extra pictures Mike, I'll be studying those banana trees very closely! 

Great looking plantation, Mike. I like how you have angled the (great looking) warehouse, and those trees are just perfect to me. The way you built those clusters is very effective. Good to see Stormhaven grow! The story is nice too, and I like how Corrington is setting a precedent for giving convicts a new chance in the new world. :wink: