CopMike

75098 Assault on Hoth

I really wanted to like this, as I don't have The Death Star, or Ewok Village, but I just can't. There's nothing cohesive about the set. Sure, it all takes place on Hoth, but it just looks like a collection of small vignettes, instead of what I'd really want: a decent Echo Base, that really looks like a base. Calling it Assault on Hoth is even worse, THAT set would be better served by an AT-AT with an AT-ST and a bunch of snowtroopers, with a small number of rebel troopers and maybe a fixed placement turret. This gives us neither the base, nor the assault, and certainly doesn't live up to the prior standards we've come to expect from sets carrying the UCS tag.

While this is certainly a collection, there's nothing ultimate about it.

Edited by rollermonkey

I wonder why Lego has gone the lazy way in designing this 'UCS' set. Could Disney be involved in this decline? Hopefully this will not set a precedent for future UCS sets.

I did indeed want to like this set, but like the others I just can't. There's no way I will pay that much for a mediorce designed playset and the stud shooters on the P-tower just looks stupid and out of place for me. Hope that the rumored Death Star set will be way better than this.

This is the worst case of TLG ripoff I've ever seen

Details such as the lookout tower (not in ESB) and he missing fourth disc on the power generator are just way too much a coincedense for me :thumbdown:

Shame on you! (Whoever made this crap)

Hoth_World.jpg

The set is missing at least one system scaled AT-ST and the Bacta-tank to be a great playset...

I'm loving the package design, but the set itself feels inconsistent and lazy... it's a no-buy for me, even at 20% discount its still not good enough.

I'm holding my hopes up for the UCS Snowspeeder, though. :sweet:

I'll pass, due to both the ludicrous price tag, lack of certain elements and the fact that the Imperial Snowtroopers still have no leg printing.

Lets do a quick review of this set:

Mini-figs: Nothing to not like that is included here, the main problem is what is missing; where in hell is leia? Props for the droids and Toryin but there is a serious gap present with no Leia included here. The set is also named assault on hoth, namely only 2 storm troopers?

Overall a good amount of figures, but the fact that Leia is missing and the lack of a beleivable Imperial force attacking really blows.

Vehicles: Regular snowspeeder, a service utility transport: while at it we could have seen another snowspeeder included here if not for an At-St as there is again something missing here. Very dissapoiting.

Echo base itself: A very nice blast door, shield generator and what appears to be a ion cannon but looks nothing like it. Basically no interior for the base itself except for the tauntaun pen and really small command center who's worth combined doesnt exceed 30$.

The wampa cave included doesnt contribute much to the cohesion of this set and I feel should have beeb scrapped.

The trench included is honestly what the attack on hoth set should have been for 10$ more.

Overall this set is a big mystery, what in hell the designers thinking? How can you price something like this 250$? Will this set ever sell more than 30 copies?

I'm not understanding all the hate here and I'm definitely not agreeing with it. In my opinion this set shouldn't be compared to sets like the well village which are one big landscape set. To me this set opens up lots of opportunities for Star Wars sets as I see this set as like a battle set, a UCS war set. I know there isn't much on the imperial side but it will still look ace on display. I personally believe having a massive battle scene (after I've added some base plates and environment) look ten times better than some large ship. So this is going in my books as one of the best Star Wars sets on the planet and I will be handing over my money straight way on April 30th to get this awesome set :)

I'm a bit disappointed too since I was expecting the set to be something else, but to be fair:

- this is the biggest & best LEGO Hoth playset ever released

- the price/piece ratio is within the range of other 2015/2016 SW sets

- it does add a reasonable amount of nice new figs for a D2C set

If this set had been announced out of nowhere as a large SW D2C I would probably have liked it a lot more.

Given the UCS hype I was expecting something with a more substantial and challenging build instead of lots of small elements. Lesson learned; UCS now has a wider meaning.

...and finally, to whoever wrote the first press release; You might want to dial it back a little lot to stay within the realm of truth:

LEGO Assault on Hothâ„¢ Base will Challenge Even the Most Skilled Fan Builders

Experienced builders can recreate the Rebel Force’s Echo Base from Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back in an unbelievably detailed recreation (snip)

I met with my mom on a break from school yesterday and showed her the pictures from this set. Her immediate response was didn't I already own that set. Her second response was asking if they just threw together old sets? When she guessed the price she said maybe $150 dollars and when I told her $250 she shook her head and just said that's BS.

When a person's mom who doesn't care about Lego that much thinks that, that's an issue :laugh:

Edited by Forresto

The fact that this is a system scale set means that I can now (once and for all?) stop dreaming about a UCS AT-AT :(.

But maybe I'll still buy this and another system scale AT-AT. And pray that there will be a long due system scale AT-ST later this year.

One big problem is that both mini figs, speeder bike and snow speeder differs from the Hoth sets I've collected over the years.

The new Rebel trooper print actually detracts from its value rather than adding to it, for me, since I have a bunch of older troopers and I want all my uniformed troops to actually look uniform.

I agree completely when it's the Imperials that we're talking about. I kind of like mix-and-matching my rebel troopers, though, since I think they should look a bit ragtag.

Details such as the lookout tower (not in ESB) and he missing fourth disc on the power generator are just way too much a coincedense for me

I like the lookout tower and recognized it immediately from Yavin. It's not from ESB, you're right, but I like it when they take creative license like that. I do plan on correcting the generator forthwith, though -- probably an easy fix with parts I have on hand. I am sure the designers intentionally reduced the size of the generator to three modules to save pieces or something.

Edited by Raskolnikov

I hear a lot of complaining about the price of this set but I've yet to see a response to my question posted a couple of pages back.

Can someone explain how this set is a ripoff? Compared to the beloved Ewok Village this set is a better deal. 2,144 pieces w/ 15 minifigs + Wampa + Tauntaun compared to 1,990 pieces w/ 17 minifigs.

I hear a lot of complaining about the price of this set but I've yet to see a response to my question posted a couple of pages back.

The answer is simple: Its not just about the amount of parts! The Ewok Village had several things going for it that made is as good as it was.

1. It was completely new in design and what it represented.

2. It combined display quality and playability in a perfect way

3. It was (almost) one single complete build, not a bunch of medium/small sized builds. If you like Legos standard procedure of modular Set lines that focus around specific themes or not, an UCS/ Huge playset like this should focus and center around 1 thing (The Death Star UCS playset was the same), else it just feels and functions like a superpack of common small sets.

4. The Ewok Village as an UCS Set perfectly captures the essentail theme of his name/intention. The Assault on Hoth Set is a terrible set in terms of its "Assault" and it doesnt work as a general Hoth Echo Base either because it misses the Base itself. It tries to be a generel Hoth Theme (Echo Base, Assault and Scouting/Wampa Scene), and therefore doesnt do any of the possible scenes/aspects of Hoth justice.

Edited by BigEl

This one will be a pass for me. A set really has to wow me for $250… this one is not doing it. I already have Echo Base and Wampa Cave and a couple smaller Hoth sets so there's nothing in this one for me… I don't think it's that bad of a set, just… underwhelming. There's nothing really special about it compared to earlier Hoth releases, it has kind of bland minifigs(not saying they're bad, but again… nothing too special about them) and really… no Leia? You know… not like she's a central character in the movie or the Hoth scene or anything…

I guess it depends on what you want. If you're a MOCer and/or only looking at the piece value and need a Hoth set/a bunch of grey and white bricks, this one might be a better value(even if I think there are better options for either) but looking at it from a set collector I would take the Ewok Village over this any day. Ewok Village is a better looking set piece, better minifigs(IMO), HAS LEIA, and doesn't feel like a rehash of prior sets. Sure, there were a couple other Endor sets but Ewok Village still felt new. Even from a MOCer's point of view, sure, this set may have more pieces but I feel that the Village had better pieces: better colors, more unique pieces, while this set is a bunch of white and grey.

However, this is simply going off what I've seen, sadly I'm poor and have neither set, though I'm planning on(hopefully) picking up Ewok Village in the future if secondary prices aren't ridiculous(yeah… right… what are the chances of that? :tongue: ) but I have no plans to get this set.

The general consensus for this set is that it is a disappointment both in terms of scale and hype. I watched the designer video for it and I suspect there was more decision making behind the scenes that we aren't aware of. I admit I was let down by the set, mainly due to the price point. $300 CDN is out of my price range unless I had a good job. I think most of the figures are good despite only two storm troopers. What get me is the lack of a build. Ultimate Collectors Series in my mind are suppose to offer builders a challenge if not something to really take your time with. This doesn't. The figures, of course I love, and that would motive me to making such a purchase but it is rather hard to justify. I like the hangar doors and the shield generator but the turrets still don't look like the movie and the Ion cannon is an eyesore with the stud shooter. I am not a fan of the stud blasters and would have appreciated a more realistic rendition. The lack of interior details and some fictionalized elements are detracting. I will give credit to the designer though, it must have been a tough set to design. What to include and what not to include based on an open concept from the movie.

I think the designer was trying to appease a wide audience but seemingly has failed the AFOL audience who pay for the large priced sets. Most parents I don't see buying this for their kids. I see them all the time at the department stores, even when I used to work in retail, and they usually purchase smaller or mid range sets. Usually the first words out of their mouth is that its too expensive. I really hope TLG reads through this topic and understand that AFOLs (with and without children) not kids are the ones generating the profits for the past five years. More and more adults are tuning into LEGO products because of nostalgia or the influence from their children. There is a generational cycle at play and that is what driving their sales.

Edited by Wodanis

I'll say one thing for this set - it's made me suddenly appreciate 75138 a lot more. In fact I might even pick it up now although I had no intention of doing so before!

I also don't like it.

The two new parts (ion cannon and generator) were too small to be minifig scale (and since I own an half built At-At in that scale...) the other parts are...well....let's say non exceptional...

I must say that it's not SO bad compared with the ewok village (got it and mod it after two days: the trees were too low compared to an at-st) the main problem is that is a bunch of small,already seen, sets.

Said that...If nobody's going to buy it I expect I could manage to get a couple with ano high discount :P

DIS-AP-POINT-MENT

Word.

I'm so butthurt, can't get over the fact they call these playsets UCS. It's not really a problem, but man... It bothers me.

Edited by hallonsylt