SkaForHire

The Empire of Corrington: Sign-up and Discussion

Thanks for the welcome everybody!

However, you can get 10 extra dubloons if you register them as a freebuild! :pir-wink:

So just to check my understanding of the rules, I can claim one as my starting challenge (25DBs) and one as a Freebuild (10DBs)? All I need to do is provide links on the freebuild page and submit a webform for each build?

The first 25 is awarded simply for signing up. You need no webform for that.

For your freebuilds, you are correct. Link them in the freebuild thread and fill in the webform.

Welcome to BoBS.

Membership page updated

I removed pictures because it was unwieldy. Instead we have links to everyone's introduction. Members are listed by order joined.

If I forgot you, let me know.

Hello fellow Corlanders! , here is a sneak peak at the bomb ketch I've been working on. :pir_laugh2: Starting work on sails soon! Would like to see all of your thoughts and suggestions. :pir-tongue:

24476844261_7ec2a5ac10.jpg

And I do acknowledge that the hull design does look similar to the 6271 Imperial flagship, but I did make some tweaks to colour and parts.

New freebuild from me:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120214#entry2446151

@AA:

Looking good sofar (although the pic is a little dark). The idea of a bomb ketch is really cool

To be true to the ketch rigging, I would suggest adding a topmast to the mainmast, and putting on a squaresail. Historically, ketches typically had square sails on the main (forward and tallest mast), with fore and aft rig on the mizzen. pirate_blush.gif

I agree with Bregir.

Historically, a ketch had square sail on the front main mast.

I would make the main mast taller and put a square topsail on it, or you could make it double gaff rigged but it's harder to do seeing your build. Fore and aft rig are ok, you could make the mizzen a bit smaller btw (or taller the main) in order to well make the difference between the 2 masts as it is the ketch definition.

This was my advice, but I am not such an expert as Bregir.

Thanks for the advice. However I do prefer the look of a fore and aft rig and those were quite maneuverable and could sail at more points to the wind. Also, adding 1 square sail would mean I would have to make custom ratlines (I don't like the prefab look) which would be quite challenging. But anyways, I will try experimenting with it, thanks for the suggestions. I think the finished product will come out a little later than I expected. I have another FB that will come out tomorrow.

The thread for this lovely little duel of our is up!!! All go to there to continue betting and thrashtalking!!!

(Also: could a MOD please move all posts concerning the duel from here to there?)

Membership page updated

I removed pictures because it was unwieldy. Instead we have links to everyone's introduction. Members are listed by order joined.

If I forgot you, let me know.

Where is the membership list located. I can't find it.

@AA: If you don't want a square sail, maybe just adding a small topmast to the main mast and a triangular sail between the gaff and the mast would do the trick? Right now its name escapes me, but you can see it on many schooners and ketches :)

Topsail is the general name.

If you want to be specific you could call it a jib-headed topsail or a gaff topsail. But that also depends on how you rig it.

Topsail is the general name.

If you want to be specific you could call it a jib-headed topsail or a gaff topsail. But that also depends on how you rig it.

English naval terminology eludes me. Can we dedicate a topic to this particular terminology? You know, arrows pointing to specific masts, sails and stuff, depending on rigging? I believe it will benefit many people and could be handy for fast reference inside our forum. You full scientific Corries can do it??

Because all we oleanders do is eat, pray, fight, love and occasionally (according to some haters) burn natives for the fun of it... pirate_pirate_angry.gif !!!

I could do that, but it is a LOT of work.

And there are many variations trough ship types and ages. So it would be complicated too.

But maybe we can make it a communal effort?

Something like the pictures in the ship index showing ship types? (The pirate forum index not the BoBS one)

I think it should be possible to do a simple tutorial on the names of different sails and rigging types, but my guess is that there are already several fitting wikipedia articles. It would therefore seem somewhat like doublework. It might be more relevant to make a quick-index of the most relevant links (wikipedia and others), rather than compiling the information seperately. pirate_blush.gif

In fact, I would rather suggest people going to wikipedia themselves, but I understand that can be hard, if you do not really know what you are looking for! pirate_tong.gif

Are we sure there isn't already a ressource in the pirate forum?

There's a collection of wikipedia article links in the main index of the general Pirates forum.

Can we have a link at the said index, next to te rest BoBS indexes too then? Purely for convenience reasons.

Well, there is this topic which has a nice collection of sailing plans

I think the question is more what the names of sails and masts are of those types (for starts)

I think it is more to indicate the names of all the different sails :)

Anyway, those 2 pictures have been added tot the BOBS ship index!

Another ship joins the mighty Corrington fleet, I present the HMS Alice:

I don't think we need lots of builds posted here but since this is an age-of-sail project I rather like the idea of posting ship pics in this thread. She's another welcome addition to the fleet.

General tradition in the GOH forums was to post a teaser pic that links to the thread of the free build, I am up for continuing it here, but I don't think it should be required.