Sign in to follow this  
mpoh98

Book II Challenge III Cat. A - Paying Respect

Book II - Challenge III - Category A - Ancestors and Heroes

For the Dwarves!

16241017325_73a4a84cf4.jpg

"The young dwarf kneeled in front of the memorial of his father, honoring and paying respect to him. He prayed for guidance, courage, and protection in the coming war."

My entry into the Guilds of Historica Book II Challenge III - Category A. - Ancestors and Heroes.

I had tons of fun making this entry, I experimented with the wall technique that Grant Davis made up in his "Free Fish" creation. I loved the wall design, and recreated it with a few differences/added things to make it unique. The floor in front of the statue also lights up, unfortunately I wasn't able to capture it to well in the picture. But hopefully you get the gist of it. :)

Edit: Here is a better picture of the lighting so I can claim the UoP credits :wink:

16274992015_1fb408a87a.jpg

I have another entry in the works, hopefully I can finish it in time for the contest (ends on the 11th, 2 days!)! BTW, it also uses another one of Grant Davis's techniques, they are so good! :D

Enjoy!

P.S. Today (or yesterday, depending on your time zones) also marks my 2 year Anniversary on EB :)

Soli Deo Gloria!

~Matthew~

Edited by mpoh98

Great build, mpoh98!

The block-and-mortar technique for the wall is excellent! The use cheese wedges for the statue's arched legs is great as well, though I am not a fan of non-LEGO elements for the statue. The technique for the trees, as I am sure I mentioned on at least one of your builds, is also very nice.

Outstanding use of minimal colors. :thumbup: I really like the mortar between the large blocks. I feel like the little trees ought to be in planters or something; to me they look like they're growing out of a polished paving stone surface.

Great build, mpoh98!

The block-and-mortar technique for the wall is excellent! The use cheese wedges for the statue's arched legs is great as well, though I am not a fan of non-LEGO elements for the statue. The technique for the trees, as I am sure I mentioned on at least one of your builds, is also very nice.

Thanks Slegengr! :)

Outstanding use of minimal colors. :thumbup: I really like the mortar between the large blocks. I feel like the little trees ought to be in planters or something; to me they look like they're growing out of a polished paving stone surface.

Thanks mrcp6d! Ah, I see what you mean. That makes sense :P Why didn't I think of that...heh whoops.

This is very good! The wall technique is great.

Thanks Carson!

Like I said on Flickr, glad someone else is using Grant's technique. :wink:

Thanks Graham :) Grant techniques FTW! ;)

Awesome statue mpoh, the cheese-slope legs are excellent, I might have to borrow that :wink:

The wall and floor techniques are very nice as well, hope you'll be able to enter the other category on time! :classic:

Congratulations to your anniversary!

(I missed mine...)

I like the wall and the statue.

Thanks! :)

Awesome statue mpoh, the cheese-slope legs are excellent, I might have to borrow that :wink:

The wall and floor techniques are very nice as well, hope you'll be able to enter the other category on time! :classic:

Thanks Garmadon! :) Glad you like it, sure you can! :) I hope so too!

Fantastic legs on that statue! And of course that wall is phenomenal!

Thanks MKJoshA! :)

That stone work looks great, I'd like to see the back to tell the differences between Grant's and yours.

Nice use of that floor design too :thumbup: .

Really lovely entry mate... The wall is great and the statue's legs too! Awesome!

That stone work looks great, I'd like to see the back to tell the differences between Grant's and yours.

Nice use of that floor design too :thumbup: .

Thanks Isaac! It's basically the same, but I'll show you a picture.

Really lovely entry mate... The wall is great and the statue's legs too! Awesome!

Thanks Gunman! :D

That wall is just awesome! So are the trees, i might have to borrow that sometime... :grin:

Great work Matthew, a very elegant entry! I really enjoy the off-angle placement of the wall and statue. Neat idea too using the cheese slopes to give the statue a "battle ready" stance. Lovely shrubs as well. Great work!

That wall is just awesome! So are the trees, i might have to borrow that sometime... :grin:

Thanks, glad you like it! Feel free, i borrowed it from Brother Steven, who borrowed it from Chris Maddison who came up with the design :)

Great trees, great wall, great photos! Which means great moc!! :classic::thumbup:

Haha, thanks de Gothia!

Great work Matthew, a very elegant entry! I really enjoy the off-angle placement of the wall and statue. Neat idea too using the cheese slopes to give the statue a "battle ready" stance. Lovely shrubs as well. Great work!

Thanks MassEditor! Glad you like it :)

For a small build, this looks awesome! :thumbup:

Thanks Goliath!

Excellent clean build!

Thanks!

That technique for the wall is great, and the statue's legs are well done too! :thumbup:

That wall is amazing! Excellent stuff!

Thank you Lord Vladivus :)

That technique for the wall is great, and the statue's legs are well done too! :thumbup:

Thanks Kai! Glad you like it :)

+1 for the UoP credit, for stonework and trees. Not sure about the lighted build credit - are you hiding something? because it doesn't quite look to me like it lights up! (Under normal circumstances you should probably edit the claims into your first post but since the deadline already past it's too late on this one, but for the future!)

Edited by Kai NRG