oof I just spent £500 on a pick a brick order :D

Unboxing video coming soon

5 hours ago, Alex Ilea said:

I always have the same feeling when a new set comes out and I want just 1 part from it and it very expensive. Unfortunate, but I still need that part and I will buy it eventually :)

It is kinda sad that pick a brick is not available in Romania, it would have made life so much easier...

Yeah, it definitely is helpful to have PAB, which is why even if the prices are high I can't be too cranky

4 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

i pulled the trigger and bought some gearbox parts. very pricey indeed. however, hopefully they'll earn their keep. im surprised nobody was selling them on bricklink though, as they could have easily fetched around 8 usd, i feel.

I know, it's really strange! According to the Bricklink price guide (at least when I checked yesterday), six Yamaha's had been parted out, and all the gearbox parts had been sold. On a set that's been out for months, why so few? I really don't get it

The 24 tooth clucth gear prize seems fair, but the shorter gearbox ring and other gearbox parts? From the info I got, the gearbox parts are licensed parts, but maybe the 24 tooth clutch gear is actually not, hence the lower, normal price. But as with all these new parts, the price will fall, we had a very similar scenario back in 2018 with wave selectors and 20 tooth clucth gears.

26 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

The 24 tooth clucth gear prize seems fair, but the shorter gearbox ring and other gearbox parts? From the info I got, the gearbox parts are licensed parts, but maybe the 24 tooth clutch gear is actually not, hence the lower, normal price. But as with all these new parts, the price will fall, we had a very similar scenario back in 2018 with wave selectors and 20 tooth clucth gears.

Yeah, the gear's reasonable, just not the gearbox parts. Do you remember how long it took for those 2018 parts to drop in price?

I remember buying some when they were new, but just buying the minimum I wanted because they were expensive. I think I picked up more later when I saw them at cheaper prices.

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

39 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Yeah, the gear's reasonable, just not the gearbox parts. Do you remember how long it took for those 2018 parts to drop in price?

I remember buying some when they were new, but just buying the minimum I wanted because they were expensive. I think I picked up more later when I saw them at cheaper prices.

No idea, but if we check Bricklink history for wave selector, they were like 2-3€ ish in May 2020 and now they go for like 1,5-2€? Wish I could see more history though.

I tried looking for my orders, but they have long been purged, though I have a feeling their price was around 3-4€ when they were released.

Edited by Zerobricks

12 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

No idea, but if we check Bricklink history for wave selector, they were like 2-3€ ish in May 2020 and now they go for like 1,5-2€? Wish I could see more history though.

I tried looking for my orders, but they have long been purged, though I have a feeling their price was around 3-4€ when they were released.

Ok, thanks!

20 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Is that LBG or white? Either would be the first time in quite a while but it's a little hard to tell whether or not it matches the white parts above it.

Funny, but the Polaroid version appears to have a brass gear, which would make the tan one a bit closer to the original. 65akXt31o1h41THY.medium

I'm hoping they make more technic axel lengths with stoppers. 

I needed a 6 long one with a stopper today. (Granted I could cut an 8L one but want to stay purist)

On 11/13/2023 at 11:13 PM, Zerobricks said:

I reported the issue to LEGO and attached photos where you can see the new straight gears literally toucing the gears which they shouldn't.

Also my measurements are as following, remember that you have to measure the largest dimension by spinning the gear so it's perfectly aligned tip of the tooth to the tip of the tooth.

12 bevel: 13,40

12 straight: 13,99 

16 normal: 17,42

16 clutch: 17,81

20 bevel normal: 21,40

20 bevel clutch: 21,48

20 straight normal: 21,88

20 straight clutch: 21,83

I just measured some of my 20 tooth gears with crossaxles again, and found something interesting..i fixed them in place on a crossaxle, sizes changed depending on which way it was..
Measuring the same 20t straight gear (69779), fixed in place on a crossaxle, it had 21.79mm in one direction, and 21.88mm in the other (from tip to tip, aligned with the crossaxle "+")
Tested a 6 other gears of same type, with same result on all of them..

For the 20t bevel gear (18575), it was 21.26mm, and 21.40mm (tested on 2 tan, and 1 black)

I suspect this is because of the way the axle hole is designed, wider in one direction than the other..kinda annoying tho :P

On 11/13/2023 at 5:46 PM, shroomzofdoom said:

I just measured the 20T gears I have on hand with a micrometer--the green gear is 21.78mm while the blue one is 21.43mm (tan ones I have measured 21.35). Most of my gears are used so can't confirm with anything brand new. However, the 0.35-0.43 mm delta is about the thickness of an index card. This is beyond the 1 μm tolerance so I would think it's by design.

When I compared the 12T black and blue gears, the difference is about 0.60 mm.

If you think about it, those differences are probably necessary to accommodate the perpendicular meshing of gears without interference

What are those bigger black gears; tan geaes are 20tooth, light bluish gray are 28 tooth; upper (in picture top left) are 36 tooth, but what are those below (in lower left corner)?

45 minutes ago, 1gor said:

What are those bigger black gears; tan geaes are 20tooth, light bluish gray are 28 tooth; upper (in picture top left) are 36 tooth, but what are those below (in lower left corner)?

Looks like 3D printed gear. He use 4x4 alternative hole ㄱ beam too.

17 hours ago, barberminged said:

I just measured some of my 20 tooth gears with crossaxles again, and found something interesting..i fixed them in place on a crossaxle, sizes changed depending on which way it was..
Measuring the same 20t straight gear (69779), fixed in place on a crossaxle, it had 21.79mm in one direction, and 21.88mm in the other (from tip to tip, aligned with the crossaxle "+")
Tested a 6 other gears of same type, with same result on all of them..

For the 20t bevel gear (18575), it was 21.26mm, and 21.40mm (tested on 2 tan, and 1 black)

I suspect this is because of the way the axle hole is designed, wider in one direction than the other..kinda annoying tho :P

Wow, good catch, basically the whole gear deforms into an oval when you insert an axle. I wonder why they didn't compensate for it during design though, so inserting the axle would round it out.

6 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Looks like 3D printed gear. He use 4x4 alternative hole ㄱ beam too.

I see, I thought that I overslept something... Despite it I like more straight gears like old 40 tooth gear

On 11/15/2023 at 10:41 AM, Aurorasaurus said:

i pulled the trigger and bought some gearbox parts. very pricey indeed. however, hopefully they'll earn their keep.

Same here, though I only bought a minimal number of new gearbox parts, I guess they'll come in other sets in the future anyway. But since I was already browsing, I also picked up a bunch of new DBG panels, some Audi joints/tires, new flip-flop beams, basically found all the new parts I wanted from this year and ordered them in one go :)

I was looking forward to the Liebherr boom parts, with an idea to make my own version of a large scale crawler crane. Getting those parts in equal amounts to that of the set (20 each) would cost about 150€, which isn't too bad I guess, but for better scaling I would need 2-3 times the amount of parts so I'd be looking at some 300-400€ in just the boom parts. Not really sure it's worth it. I wonder if it would be easier to just use 1x16 Technic bricks, though those aren't exactly free either and I'm not sure how easy it is to build a sufficiently strong frame with those...

This year I only bought Audi tires (and red rims) to update one older MOC :devil_laugh: (but with light bluish gray rims).

14 hours ago, 1gor said:

I see, I thought that I overslept something... Despite it I like more straight gears like old 40 tooth gear

Yeah, that's a 3D printed 44T bevel I picked up on shapeways. Also a 4x4 flip flop L that I got in a random box of garage sale bricks. I was messing around with various perpendicular gears meshing and found the spacing nteresting:

12T mesh on 2L perp holes

20T mesh on 2.5L perp holes

28T mesh on 3L (one of the strongest)

36T mesh on 4.5L perp holes

I figured that 44T would mesh on 5L perp holes... And so on

I guess the price on the new Yamaha parts and the 1:1 ratio audi hubs is keeping you guys from crashing inventory right before VIP weekend! Only 24 hrs!!!

Edited by shroomzofdoom

On 9/28/2023 at 8:49 AM, dustblue said:

Anyone can tell me what's the extension ring is for? This is the short driving ring 2L, it is supposed to make the build compact right? Then why add another extension ring to it?

See how it's been used in 8466 for instance: Page 39 +/- a few pages lego.com/cdn/product-assets/product.bi.core.pdf/4164096.pdf

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

12 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Is it legal to put a bar into an axle hole? It doesn't look legal on Studio.

Stud.io (and most Lego building programs, to be honest) slightly simplifies the shape of some parts to save on processing power (and to make parts easier to model and add in general). So rounded shapes are often a little more polygonal and subtle shapes are often simplified. In the case of Technic axle holes, that tends to mean rendering them as a basic cross shape even when the actual shape is slightly more complex and allows room for properly rounded bars.

@shroomzofdoom That image from the Polaroid is the original fan submission and not the final product. In a rendering you can change the color of parts to whatever you like.

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to find some info about these 2 older turntable designs: 2855.png (2855) and 48452cx1.png (48452)

Can I ask, whether someone knows if it's possible to connect these two parts together (in a working way, to create a half-studless turntable)?

28 minutes ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Can I ask, whether someone knows if it's possible to connect these two parts together (in a working way, to create a half-studless turntable)?

I would have never thought checking it until now & (I didn't check the part numbers)

These would fit & work:

wr_231119_135546k.png

The one with the old/square bottom has more friction than the other one.

Edited by anyUser