58 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

I guess it's made of the same softer plastic, but based on my engineering judgement the weakest link is still the fragile chain clamp that now has to hold up against side forces too. I see very few use cases where this element might work besides some simple toyfair duck hunting game mechanism

My thought exactly. This is a very, very specialized part. Could also maybe be used in some City sets for special conveyor belts or lifts. At least, there are multiple pieces of this type included. Hopefully also some spare parts :-)

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

I see very few use cases where this element might work besides some simple toyfair duck hunting game mechanism.

I guess it could be used to connect two chains side by side to make a thread. Also, it will be amazing for all sorts of mechanisms that use belts to encode something (mechanical calculators, calendar, all sorts of things that perform a sequence of motions/operations). 

8 hours ago, kbalage said:

Which is quite interesting as I couldn't find any sets with black versions, do you know where it came from?

Honestly I bought them 15 years (or more ago) as I remember seller told me thst they were in one older set as alternative; some old sets like 851 had sometimes black 24 crown gears; maybe they were prototypes like onced black 4L differentials (that were on sale on bricklink at that time)

9 hours ago, Jundis said:

Thanks for the link, Igor! Cool tractor, btw :-P

Thanks buddy, STX steiger was long ago my favorite challenge, but it is only display model.

2 hours ago, 1gor said:

they were in one older set as alternative;

Ah yes, in the same way, I have 4 of 85x85p.jpg in Black, which came with 8880 Super Car when I bought it in 1994. But Rebrickable vehemently denies this part exists in Black...

2 hours ago, Glaysche said:

This is some more detail about the new truss part from New Elementary:

Too bad there's not much analysis on the dimensions and angles of this new part. I wonder if the middle holes in the diagonal section are in any way in system or not.

---

Apparently there's also 1x10 Technic Brick in DBG in the Ninjago City Markets, which should be new.

5 hours ago, howitzer said:

Too bad there's not much analysis on the dimensions and angles of this new part. I wonder if the middle holes in the diagonal section are in any way in system or not.

---

Apparently there's also 1x10 Technic Brick in DBG in the Ninjago City Markets, which should be new.

Seeing the picture I think they are in system. 5M wide and 6M away from both ends.

Edited by Jockos

Yes, on grid. Using some perspective corrections I come up with this:
272a4123_2.jpg

(may post could have been wrong)

Edited by Jurss

1 minute ago, Jurss said:

That is not Pythagoriam triangle.

The diagonals don't have an integer length indeed. But the holes are on grid...

On 5/23/2023 at 8:54 PM, astyanax said:

Ah yes, in the same way, I have 4 of 85x85p.jpg in Black, which came with 8880 Super Car when I bought it in 1994. But Rebrickable vehemently denies this part exists in Black...

Interesting, my 8880 has these in grey. It's the towball pins that are black in there. Are you sure it came from that set? Or maybe there were different version wrt packaging? Do you have the instruction booklet? In which color does it list those parts? I don't have access to mine right now, but I do have it somewhere..

10 hours ago, Philo said:

That makes sense, thank you!

7 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Interesting, my 8880 has these in grey. It's the towball pins that are black in there. Are you sure it came from that set? Or maybe there were different version wrt packaging? Do you have the instruction booklet? In which color does it list those parts? I don't have access to mine right now, but I do have it somewhere..

Based on the Bricklink inventory's alternative parts, it looks like the pins with tow ball were replaced with black axles with tow ball in some variants of the set because in some the wheel hub holder had a pin hole, but others had an axle hole. That way the instructions could always show a black tow ball coming out of the hub holder. The sets with the black axle with tow ball also had some in light gray in other parts of the build.

8880 came in two versions I believe. As mentioned above with the two different steering arms. One also had black 16t clutch gears.

9 hours ago, SamS said:

Based on the Bricklink inventory's alternative parts, it looks like the pins with tow ball were replaced with black axles with tow ball in some variants of the set because in some the wheel hub holder had a pin hole, but others had an axle hole. That way the instructions could always show a black tow ball coming out of the hub holder. The sets with the black axle with tow ball also had some in light gray in other parts of the build.

6 hours ago, LvdH said:

8880 came in two versions I believe. As mentioned above with the two different steering arms. One also had black 16t clutch gears.

That's interesting to know, thanks!

hello

xYzoFlx.jpg

edit: oops, I forgot that the 42152 fire plane also has red 7L flipflop beams.

Edited by SNIPE

Nice, red flip-flop beam! Curious if any of the summer sets will use it

The Perseverance set has the 7L flip flop in black, I thought. Somewhere in the suspension arms for the wheels.

Edited by Erik Leppen

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

The Perseverance set has the 7L flip flop in black, I thought. Somewhere in the suspension arms for the wheels.

Correct. It shows 2 black 7L flip flop beams in the parts list.

10 hours ago, Jockos said:

Nice, red flip-flop beam! Curious if any of the summer sets will use it

Red 7L flipflip beams appear in the Firefighting Aircraft already.

Does anyone have experience with this part:

279x279.png

I am especially interested how much play there is in the Gray gear axle (up/down/left/right), and if it is possible to push an axle through all the way or not. I'd like to use this as the only mounting point and I am Wondering if it is suitable.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:54 PM, gyenesvi said:

Finally I was able to dig up my old building instructions. They came with an additional loose 2-sided page to 'correct' steps 18 and 19.

Specifically, the White wheel hubs are replaced by Light Gray ones, and the Light Gray towball-axles are replaced by Black ones.

I do not know the reason for these replacements. Perhaps there was a weakness in the White wheel hubs.

To be clear: my set 8880 contained all parts for either step 18. Following the corrected step 18, I was left at the end with 4 White wheel hubs and 4 Light Gray towball-axles.

20230524_224946~01.jpg

The new step 19 only contains some clarifications:

20230524_225033~01.jpg

On 5/24/2023 at 1:06 PM, Philo said:

From the pictures of 42157 it looks as if the distance between the holes is 5 *along the diagonal* because there is an alternating liftarm running along there, so that they would not be in-grid. It would be pretty difficult to distinguish 5 and sqrt(5*5+1*1)=5.1 from the picture.

Edited by aeh5040

That 11L liftarm is connected at only 1 end and held in place by a half pin.

So it's really sqrt(26). That would make sense, because the holes are then all in grid.