The Secret Of Castle Rock Cove!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic  – Started by Lord Derfel Cadarn , Feb 23 2010 12:45 PM

#1 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn
  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

A lone arch and some crumbling walls are all that remain of an old castle. A retired sailor lives by the ruins perched above a dangerous cove. A peacfull life it would seem? But he knows strange and sinister things are going on beneath the cliffs. Hes seen the strange lights and pirates in the cove down below him. They come and go often, but what are they using the cove for? If only he knew what they were hiding in the dark caves!

This is an idea ive had for a while, and i was originally going to just have a big ruined castle with a secret passage way down into the cave below. But i realised while building, that to do it propperly i would need a much bigger cave and the model would have to be twice the size. So i changed it to what you now see. Allthough i do plan to build the large original idea in the near future.

Enjoy :pir-classic:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For more and larger versions of the pictures, visit my flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/45244184@N04/

Edited by Derfel Cardarn, 23 February 2010 - 12:47 PM.

Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#2 Dr. Steve

Dr. Steve

Member: 3382

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

AMAZING MOC! The detail on the rock and cave is excellent.

This should be Pirate Front Page!

#3 Rick

Rick
  • Wants to be important too! (but already is)

Member: 5261

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

Great. I really like secret hide-outs... :pir-classic:

#4 L-space

L-space

Member: 4504

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

Wow, amazing stuff here.   :thumbup:

I like the way you built to ruins, but have to get used to the same round plates as walls for the house.''

Is there a passageway from the cave to the house or castle?
the Turtle moves...

clicky:

Posted Image
L-space | Brickshelf | Brickset | flickr

#5 Fires-storm

Fires-storm
  • Modern Wright Brother

Member: 9182

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

Wow amazing detail! an excellent cave, the skulls at the back are quite clever, and the rocks came out perfect! and now I just HAVE to ask, is there a rock building tutorial somewhere I could use? my cliffs end up looking like wall extensions :pir-grin:
If you cannot win the battle, win the war.

#6 GT-Vince

GT-Vince

Member: 9307

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:08 PM

This is amazing, all those little details, a parrot in the tree, the fruits and flowers
Very, very good

#7 Swash Buckler

Swash Buckler

Member: 8048

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

:pir-cry_happy: These gigantic dios are great- cave is excellent addition- so piratey -but there is one problem- all are similar looking- because of those rocks- they are great- but i would like to see flatter island for a while- like the sandy beaches of Bahamas (like in the works of Howard Pyle) or something similar- however i know that building giant rocks is more funny than flat beaches :pir-sceptic:

#8 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

Man this is so awesome again!
Great that you can see inside the cave on the back of the MOC, and all the details are just stunning!

Posted Image

Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#9 Loganwan

Loganwan

Member: 5011

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

Ooh, the back is great.  What a fun surprise, since the backs tend to be not only blank, but also built out of many colors.  Excellent.

The details on top are excellent as well.  I have seen a bit of the style of using round 1x1s to make buildings look rocky.  I think it looks really good in the crumbling castle, and even better in the cottage.  The use of some round and some square pieces really give an interesting look.  The roof is really well done with SNOT plates and it looks like some of the boards had to be replaced.

The rock cliff is top notch.  The rocks are great, as they blend into the jungle/heavily planted area up-top.  Very well done.
How many bricks can a Eurobrick brick, if a Eurobrick could brick bricks.

#10 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose

Member: 822

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

:pir-wub:

Just stunning!

It's safe to say you have become one of the best LEGO Pirate builders around.

The details you include in your work are overwhelming.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#11 Ratshot

Ratshot
  • Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Great cave Derfel Cardarn, you've been spoiling us with all of these great MOCs lately and I love it :pir-wub:

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#12 Nightshroud99

Nightshroud99

Member: 7668

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

Stupendous! :pir_laugh2: Thats some excellent work there!!! :jollyroger:
My YouTube Channel! 20,000 subscribers and growing! I review LEGO!
http://www.youtube.c...r/Nightshroud99

#13 Blackheart Brit

Blackheart Brit

Member: 4650

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

You are so consistently good.  This one is my favorite of yours.  All around excellent.

#14 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn
  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

Thankyou for all your great comments, I have been busy with pirate mocs this last month for the JRC. Only 1 more and my community build and then I have some castle mocs to work on. But I have some new pirate ideas that i'll start after that.

View PostL-space, on Feb 23 2010, 01:12 PM, said:

Wow, amazing stuff here.   :thumbup:

I like the way you built to ruins, but have to get used to the same round plates as walls for the house.''
Is there a passageway from the cave to the house or castle?
No, i abandoned the passageway as I'd like to do it on a larger scale in a later moc.

View PostFires-storm, on Feb 23 2010, 03:41 PM, said:

Wow amazing detail! an excellent cave, the skulls at the back are quite clever, and the rocks came out perfect! and now I just HAVE to ask, is there a rock building tutorial somewhere I could use? my cliffs end up looking like wall extensions :pir-grin:
I might make a basic tutorial for rock/cliff building as it seems quite a few people have trouble with it. In the meantime it might help you to take a look at real life pictures of coastlines to get some ideas.

View PostSwash Buckler, on Feb 23 2010, 06:42 PM, said:

:pir-cry_happy: These gigantic dios are great- cave is excellent addition- so piratey -but there is one problem- all are similar looking- because of those rocks- they are great- but i would like to see flatter island for a while- like the sandy beaches of Bahamas (like in the works of Howard Pyle) or something similar- however i know that building giant rocks is more funny than flat beaches :pir-sceptic:
Yes, they do look similar, but that is the modular style ive been working with, so they can make a coastline. I have tryed to not make them as often now, as the last one was back last year. There is so many formations and ideas that you can do with the cliffsides. I plan to make the rock work on future mocs much more interesting with lots more caves, coves, rock pools and other hidden things. I have got some flatter mocs that i plan to work on, but like you say, making rugged cliffs and caves is a lot more fun.

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on Feb 23 2010, 06:54 PM, said:

Man this is so awesome again!
Great that you can see inside the cave on the back of the MOC, and all the details are just stunning!

Posted Image

Thanks fors the blog!

View PostBonaparte, on Feb 23 2010, 07:21 PM, said:

:pir-wub:

Just stunning!

It's safe to say you have become one of the best LEGO Pirate builders around.

The details you include in your work are overwhelming.
Thankyou, always great coming from a ship moc master such as yourself :pir-classic:
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#15 Broken Bricks

Broken Bricks

Member: 9048

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

Wow!

Impressive!

So many cool things in this MOC it's hard to name just a few...but to keep it short:

I love the vegetation!! It looks very dense and tropical-like!

I also like the ruins on the right side! I think not too many MOCs go for the "ruins" look, but it's something I definitely like too see!

And the rocks...I see Swash Buckler's point about cliffs/rock formation being a little overused around here, but I have too say you've done a pretty good job at adding variety to this style. I don't mean just the cave. I also like the big pointy rock protruding from the sea a little in front of the cliff and the fact that the cliff is not too symmetrical, with that part extending out on the right side.  It looks very realistic!

A question for you Derfel:

Do you reuse parts from old MOCs to build new ones or do you have all of them next to each other?

If the latter is the case, you should have quite an amazing island going on by now!

#16 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone
  • Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

Nice work buddy, great to see you signing off for a short break with such a beauty. The ruins are fantastic as is the small house. I love the roof and facade look suitably ramshackle. The cliff detailing is up to your usual top standards and looks particularly rugged. The internal pirate cave is just the icing on the cake and is loaded up with plenty of great booty.
Good stuff. :pir-blush:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

#17 Alex the Great

Alex the Great
  • Captain Blue Hair is the best!

Member: 8678

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Another great MOC Derfel! Again your landscaping is great, but I really like how you put the 1x1 rounds under the plants, it really accents them. Then the hideout is also great, keep it up! :pir-classic:

#18 AllanSmith

AllanSmith

Member: 1340

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

View PostL-space, on Feb 24 2010, 01:12 AM, said:

Maybe the pirate used rocks from the ruins to build his house  :pir-sweet:

#19 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

Simply Stunning, I'll comment more later, but dang, stunning!!

#20 Izzy

Izzy
  • Bold Baldie

Member: 1628

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

Brilliant work as usual Luke!!!!

What a super cool unexpected surprise on the back. I love to see a MOC that looks good from every angle. And this one does not disappoint.

I love the ruins... *must buy more studs*

To Do Is To Be - Nietzsche  
To Be Is To Do - Kant
To Be Or Not To Be - Shakespeare
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra

Flickr

#21 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig

Member: 8823

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

I have  no words of this... awesome creation, man i would want a cave like that :pir_laugh2:  and i actually love the whole MOC SO much at my words just wont come out of my mouth :pir-tongue:

Godless work man, keep it up

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker, 23 February 2010 - 10:36 PM.

My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

#22 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:32 AM

The rockwork, the pathway, the roof, that incredible arch, the cave, the sea, the rockwork on the wall!!

I seriously am just dumbfounded by your MOC's, they are just so stunning, you must have like an ELitist bricklink account, or a ton of pirate sets.

I am in awe.

#23 Delta 38

Delta 38

Member: 8890

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:20 AM

Wow. Great attention to detail! I like the extra feature hidden in the back.
Hi.

#24 CommanderFox

CommanderFox
  • Can't remember his own name

Member: 5406

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:54 AM

Thats incredible Derfel Cardarn! :pir-wub:
The front beach and the house at the top are great, but the cave is the best. :pir-wub:
Great job with this Huge MOC! Truly amazing!

CommanderFox
My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#25 Admiral Bejaune

Admiral Bejaune
  • Guitar god!

Member: 1964

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

Another amazing creation!  I don't see how you have the time to build so many amazing mocs.  The cave is my favorite part in this creation.  I always like the pirate cave scenes.  The wild, unkept vegetation detailing is another trademark of yours as well as the use of 1 x 1 round pieces.  Very nice work!   :thumbup:

-Admiral Bejaune
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Introduce a little Anarchy, Upset the Established Order, and Everything becomes chaos!"

"Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all." -Edward Teach

“Lego from BrickLink comes in small plastic bags....... So Does Drugs.” -Captain GreenHair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links