Blakstone

Next CUUSOO set: 21103 Back to the Future™ Time Machine

I'm really excited about the set. Are we only getting that Back to the Furure set or is there a possiblitity to get a whole wave?

Just the one it seems as the intention of CUUSOO is ideas for a single set, not a theme. However it's always possible that a theme could appear in the future (Perhaps if a sequel to the franchise ever pops up).

I think that's a reason why the MWT didn't make the cut. It's too big for one set and CUUSOO doesn't make themes, just singular sets, so a modular series of western buildings was kind of farfetched. As much as I like the MWT it was always a bit impractical to do.

Zelda was an interesting idea, but the presentation of it lacked any tangible set ideas, and it did seem to be based around items rather than actual play. However I think the other big Zelda project on CUUSOO has a good chance of making it considering it's mostly based around existing Lego elements and actually has several good set ideas. And based on BTTF we know Lego will spring for a liscence if they think they can sell enough of them.

DeLorean is an interesting case, it's not that professional looking as a model. I imagine the final version could be quite different. I even noticed an illegal connection at the front :laugh: . Congrats, it's a good project & I'm sure it will sell.

No it didn't, read it again.

Ah, my mistake. *Derp*

This is interesting news and a surprise to me (and many others). I would have expected the MWT to exist in LEGO form in the future more so than the BTTF set, but LEGO has their ideas I guess. I will disagree that they will conflict with each other. Especially since this would be a D2C set anyway and not something on every store shelf, meaning most people wouldn't see the MWT, only the Lone Ranger sets. So they'd still make money either way.

As far as BTTF goes, I suppose this might be good news. I enjoyed the movies as a kid, but I can't say I've seen them since then, so I don't know how appealing this will be to me in the long run. I'll just have to wait and see the final product/price. That will be the biggest factor for me.

I didn't care so much about Zelda or Eve, so CUUSOO hasn't been a big thing for me yet. The only thing I was interested in was the MWT and that becomes a no-go.

Let's see how CUUSOO does in the future.

I seconded what others said about the MWT being dropped. Great Scott Indeed! I certainly hope it's actually on hold, not out the window. BTTF and MWT would go together for a BTTF3 recreation. Then you would only need to add the under-construction court house/clock tower, and, of course, a Train!

I think that the Modular Western Town would make a fantastic set for a Back to the Future 3 theme(with a few small alterations to go along with the buildings in the movie)....

I can see it now... A Mad Dog Tannen Figure and a Horse Cart Hauling Manure...

That car really reminds me of the hover car in the new Spider-Man set. Hopefully it gets totally revamped (no offense to the original builder) :classic:

Real disappointment about the Western Town not making it into the ranks. Back to the Future - okay, K.I.T., David Hasselhoff minifig, perhaps the addition of a rhinestone coyboy hat for a special MOD. That's about it for the highlights. Are there really Back to the Future fans still out there? As a big fan of the 80s, it was up there with the A-Team. :thumbdown: At least we have the Lone Ranger theme. :thumbup:

Don't know about the Cuusoo process. :sceptic: I'll be reluctant to vote again - theme sets seem better from what I've seen.

I'm extremely excited about the BTTF DeLorean, that's for sure! Like many, Iactually thought it had the smallest chance of passing the review process, so this is a very pleasant surprise. I'll most likely buy two of them.

Zelda was an interesting idea, but the presentation of it lacked any tangible set ideas,

Are you kidding? The project had a set idea in it. And many others suggested different possible sets, most popular one being the Temple of Time.

Missed the link to the CUSOO blog, was wondering about Eve online and thought Portal entered the review before June (memory is messy).

Eve Online did not pass review.

-Omi

I don't think the western set would have conflicted at all with the Lone Ranger sets ,considering its a shop at home exclusive, and as for The Legend of Zelda, I hope the other one passes , but I doubt it , and Back to the Future ,not interested at all.

3) BTTF is the first Cuusoo project to be green-lighted that requires a license. Being the fourth official set, this is promising news. It means that TLG is willing to go after the costs if the fanbase is there.

Nope, 21102 Minecraft Micro World needed a license as well.

I think that's a reason why the MWT didn't make the cut. It's too big for one set and CUUSOO doesn't make themes, just singular sets, so a modular series of western buildings was kind of farfetched. As much as I like the MWT it was always a bit impractical to do.

Again, nope. It was made known in the thread for MWT that it would be a single building, at least to start. There was even a thread with a poll to see which one would've been built.

I am very sad about the Western Building set. I'm assuming they are talking about the Lone Ranger theme? I don't see why this would possibly be a problem, in fact if anything the Western Building would compliment the Lone Ranger.

I'll have to wait to see what the final product of the DeLorean looks like.

Mixed feelings for me...

The only vote that I cast among the review is the modular western town.. but it did not make the mark.. Kinda speechless, but at the same time, I do glad that BTTF received a slot in the 4th feature in the LEGO CUUSOO. I do like BTTF but I am hoping to see more stuff that is less related to licensed themes.

Normally I am not the "conspiracy theory" kinda guy, but refusal of the western town (which is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the best cusoo set ever) makes me feel a bit shivery. Did Lego notice the potential in all the people eagerly awaiting the modular Western Town? So much, that they decided to reintroduce the Western theme? Basically piggybacking on the idea.

I would feel sad for the creator of the Western Town, but I would love to see what Lego will do with the Western theme. Imho this can be a theme to remain for decades. Who doesn't love cowboys and sheriffs :sweet:

I guess we can start begging for building instructions now :laugh:

Edited by Gekke Ted

Shame. They are making a set based on a movie franchise that had it's last installment 22 years ago, but they aren't making something a lot of people could actually enjoy without liking the movie. Don't get me wrong, I have got nothing against the BTTF movies, but this apparantly fits in Lego's demographic? Come on.

I get it, the Western Town would conflict with the Lone Ranger sets that are planned... Cuusoo is just dumb, that's what I have decided. Good ideas for actual good sets, that get a lot of support from the AFOL community, get shot down, while terrible ideas for sets that just get the support of a random community are going to be turned into a set. Newsflash, I can guarantee you most of the people (which aren't AFOL's or other people active in the Lego community), don't even remember voting for this and are certainly not going to buy the set when it comes out. Sure, die-hard fans of the series and a large number of AFOL's will get this set, but to me it's a damn shame that this made it, and not great ideas for sets like the Western Town.

I was disappointed in Cuusoo when they accepted a Minecraft set and not the Winchester. That probably was a sound business decision, sure, but the reasons they listed for declining the Winchester were clearly not true, and in my opinion the Minecraft set was terrible. With this now, I have decided to just not bother anymore. The AFOL community has very little influence, it seems, which is a shame as I am pretty sure Lego would feel the hit if we all suddenly stopped buying Lego. Cuusoo is subject to all kind of (non-Lego) communities and fanbases. I fear that we don't have to expect decent Lego sets from Cuusoo, just sets that they can use to get the most money out of fans of a certain thing.

^I agree.

The first idea which didn't reach the votes based on an online community (well, except the AFOL community), but because it was a great idea. And now it's sacrificed for anóther license. It reminds me of Pirates II, sacrificed because of the PotC license.

But I think the Cuusoo staff (or LEGO, whoever decides) should be ashamed for their very late decision. The release of The Lone Ranger-sets was known when it reached 10,000 votes.

Shame. They are making a set based on a movie franchise that had it's last installment 22 years ago, but they aren't making something a lot of people could actually enjoy without liking the movie. Don't get me wrong, I have got nothing against the BTTF movies, but this apparantly fits in Lego's demographic? Come on.

I get it, the Western Town would conflict with the Lone Ranger sets that are planned... Cuusoo is just dumb, that's what I have decided. Good ideas for actual good sets, that get a lot of support from the AFOL community, get shot down, while terrible ideas for sets that just get the support of a random community are going to be turned into a set. Newsflash, I can guarantee you most of the people (which aren't AFOL's or other people active in the Lego community), don't even remember voting for this and are certainly not going to buy the set when it comes out. Sure, die-hard fans of the series and a large number of AFOL's will get this set, but to me it's a damn shame that this made it, and not great ideas for sets like the Western Town.

I was disappointed in Cuusoo when they accepted a Minecraft set and not the Winchester. That probably was a sound business decision, sure, but the reasons they listed for declining the Winchester were clearly not true, and in my opinion the Minecraft set was terrible. With this now, I have decided to just not bother anymore. The AFOL community has very little influence, it seems, which is a shame as I am pretty sure Lego would feel the hit if we all suddenly stopped buying Lego. Cuusoo is subject to all kind of (non-Lego) communities and fanbases. I fear that we don't have to expect decent Lego sets from Cuusoo, just sets that they can use to get the most money out of fans of a certain thing.

I sort of agree. I had hoped that CUUSOO would be a way for LEGO to reward loyal AFOLs with sets we'd really like, but instead it has turned out to be a tool for non-LEGO fans to push through whatever arbitrary ideas are easiest to summon a voting horde for.

Real disappointment about the Western Town not making it into the ranks. Back to the Future - okay, K.I.T., David Hasselhoff minifig, perhaps the addition of a rhinestone coyboy hat for a special MOD. That's about it for the highlights. Are there really Back to the Future fans still out there? As a big fan of the 80s, it was up there with the A-Team. :thumbdown: At least we have the Lone Ranger theme. :thumbup:

Don't know about the Cuusoo process. :sceptic: I'll be reluctant to vote again - theme sets seem better from what I've seen.

K.I.T.? David Hasselhoff? Are you getting your movies mixed up with TV shows or what? K.I.T. And David Hasselhoff are from Nightrider. Back to the Future had Micheal J. Fox and the Delorean. I can't really tell what you're trying to say with that part of your comment.

I'm a huge BTTF fan myself so I'm way stoked about this! I do hope they do a little redesigning of the Delorean though.

To all the arm-chair market analysts complaining about other themes being turned down; You can't fully comprehend why a potential product wasn't green lit just from a sentence or two of information. There's a lot more that goes into this than you realize. They have guys on the Lego team who do market research on this stuff FULL TIME and spend hours upon hours trying to decide if something is feasible.

Zelda? It was literally impossible for this to have worked out since Knex already holds the license for this. It's as simple as that. You cant give the same license to two competing companies.

Eve? Very low mass appeal. Sure the designs were really cool but those things would never sell well. I'd be surprised if any of my friends even know what Eve is. Picture a mom looking through a Shop at home catalog trying to decide what to buy her son for his birthday. Do you think she'd even recognize the Eve logo? Not likely.

MWT? It's pretty dang cool, that's for sure, but you guys are in total denial if you think that this doesn't directly compete with the future Lone Ranger sets. It's the same reason why Lego can't have both Indian Jones as well as Adventurers sets. Do they complement each other? Certainly! But there's lots of you out there that will buy sets from The Lone Ranger line who wouldn't do so if you got your western fix from the modular western town. Do you really think that would sit well with the guys on the other end of the license deal? Probably not. This is a case of bad timing more than anything else. Maybe it could be resubmitted in a couple of years?

You're making a mistake if you think that Lego is specifically catering to you AFOLers with these cuusoo sets. Their goal is always to reach the most mass appeal. BTTF was easilly the most logical choice based on brand recognition alone. It just depended on if the licensing was affordable or not.

Edited by Reevr

I sort of agree. I had hoped that CUUSOO would be a way for LEGO to reward loyal AFOLs with sets we'd really like, but instead it has turned out to be a tool for non-LEGO fans to push through whatever arbitrary ideas are easiest to summon a voting horde for.

Yeah, but it's sort of logical. CUUSOO is sadly simply not for AFOLs. It's for sucking in new audiences by offering a chance to see their obsession / object of fandom / in Lego. That's why it's so lopsided towards projects based on IPs. For example the BTTF set getting the green light was newsworthy on the largest Hungarian news site while I'm 100% sure MWT wouldn't have been at all.

At this point I simply don't care for CUUSOO any more. The projects I like most are very far from hitting 10k, and even if they did somehow, I don't believe any more that they'd pass a review. Even if they are not huge so perfectly viable parts-wise and price point-wise they'd probably be shot down based on not enough desirability/marketability in Lego's most important target groups. So why bother?

Zelda? It was literally impossible for this to have worked out since Knex already holds the license for this. It's as simple as that. You cant give the same license to two competing companies.

K'nex doesn't have a Zelda license. They never made Zelda sets. In fact their license isn't Nintendo either. It is Mario Kart. The idea was feasible, and even Lego knew about the MarioKart. That's why they didn't turn it down immediately like they did with the Super Mario project.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

Are you kidding? The project had a set idea in it. And many others suggested different possible sets, most popular one being the Temple of Time.

Yes, there was the set idea for the final battle with Ganon. But the set itself wasn't like anything Lego would produce. There's no play features in the suggested set. Oh sure, Link and Ganon can fight and Ganon can play the organ, but those two things alone don't make a fun set. Also the build of the environment, while true to the game, isn't really anything special. On top of that the set idea wasn't even added until significantly later when Lego asked for it. The presentation was focused on new elements rather than sets, and that's not really what CUUSOO is about.

And I realize there are other set ideas, which is why they said a similar project in the future wasn't out of the question. Personally I would rather have the other Zelda project over this one, because that one isn't so item oriented and actually focuses on sets will real play features. I strongly endorse the other one because overall it has a much better design, and much more plausible as a Lego set.

While I'm happy for the DeLorean, I honestly can't think how the Lone Ranger theme could be an obstruction to the Modular Western concept. If anything, the modular series could serve as a useful supplement to the theme.

Too bad the legend of Zelda didn't make it, I was hoping. But it's very understandible, considering the cuusoo project itself was full of new parts.

Anyway, I like that DeLorean, I hope they don't make too many changes because I like it exactly as it is, not too big (not too expensive).