Bodi

[OL-FB-5HA] La Combattante

After months of labour, the royal shipyard managed finally to complete the building of La Combattante, a 40-gun frigate, 26 large calibre guns on gundeck, 2 bow chasers, 2stern chasers, 2 guns on forecastle and 8 guns on quarterdeck. She may be not a spacious ship, the living quarter is reduced to minimum, but she's a warship after all, and the goal is to pile in as many guns as possible. La Combattante is built with funds raised from the brave men of Gaufretier, hometown of Thierry LaGaufre. Commissioned as captain of this fine ship, Thierry LaGaufre has himself his crew, mostly recruited from Gaufretier, but this town situates in a remote corner of Oleon, and underpopulated, Thierry couldn't refuse everyone, so you may see some strange creature among the crew.

Concerning the building, it's the first time for me to use thread as rigging, usually I'm very prudent with non-lego elements in my mocs, but the prefab shrouds just won't work, I tried them and they looked dull. This confused me a while, until I saw the Dancing Ember of Sebeus I, his rigging technique is very clever and most importantly, easy to follow. HIs technique really saved the day, since I really rushed the build, a more complicate technique would not allow me to finish the ship today.

IqTq5d.jpg

Broadside, I think this should be enough to fend off any pirate.

A fluffy companion.

Gundeck and cabine. The whole upper deck was removable, but with the rigging fitted, it's no longer so removable.:tongue:

C & C are welcome.

VIve le Roi!

Holy moly, that's a pretty lady, Bodi! Veeeery Impressive frigate - I like everything about her - the nimble appearance, her lines and all the details, and especially the side galleries :wub:

I just won't believe you if you said this was your first ship :tongue:

I'm always a fan of a 'classic' frigate - and La Combattante is a very fine addition to that prominent list.

Congratulations on a splendid vessel - may her crew and voyages be blessed by Poseidon!

Keep it up!

Vive le Roi!

Excellent ship!!! So sleek and intimidating! And as KB said it DOES look a bit like the classics we all played with and still love! Heck, I even like the bedsheet you used as background! Once again a great ship while looking it from every perspective! I am glad we are having you with us.Keep up the good work!

Vive le Roi!

2 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Holy moly, that's a pretty lady, Bodi! Veeeery Impressive frigate - I like everything about her - the nimble appearance, her lines and all the details, and especially the side galleries :wub:

I just won't believe you if you said this was your first ship :tongue:

I'm always a fan of a 'classic' frigate - and La Combattante is a very fine addition to that prominent list.

Congratulations on a splendid vessel - may her crew and voyages be blessed by Poseidon!

Keep it up!

Vive le Roi!

Glad you like it KB.:pir_laugh2:

I've built a couple of ships before, this one is the latest, and I understant that the ships of Bobs should be newly built.

2 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Excellent ship!!! So sleek and intimidating! And as KB said it DOES look a bit like the classics we all played with and still love! Heck, I even like the bedsheet you used as background! Once again a great ship while looking it from every perspective! I am glad we are having you with us.Keep up the good work!

Vive le Roi!

A votre service, my good sire.

Vive le Roi!

This ship is a beautiful frigate. I really like the colors you used and the lines of the ship. As only a beginning shipbuilder myself, your ship gives me a lot of inspiration on things to do and ways to make ships look better. This is definitely a great way to make an entrance into BOBS. I look forward to more of your builds in the future. 

Ah, splendid ship, and great way to make your entrance into BoBS! :wub:  The lines of color on the hull work very well, and those cannon should certainly be enough to dissuade most pirates! :pir-grin:  It's always awesome to see a ship with an interior as well (and I know what you mean about the rigging impeding it too, that's always rather complicated! :pir_laugh2:), and as KB said, those stern galleries are superb!  

If there's one piece of advice I'd give, it would be to give her a couple more stay-sails or none at all - I find that the upper part here just looks a tad odd as it is.  Could be just me, though, and it definitely is an excellent ship over all!  Welcome to the Brick Seas! :pir-classic:

That is one heck of an introduction. An excellent job all around, especially considering that you used prefab hulls. You incorporate plenty of good details that one would expect to find, the brick-built guns on the upper deck are a great addition, and it's really neat that you included an interior for the lower decks (even if it is harder to access now).

As for advice, I would recommend working on the sails and rigging. Some stays and backstays should be simple to add, and could really help with the rigging (not to mention helping to keep your masts steady).

Can't wait to see your next design.

Well done, glad to have been an inspiration for you to equip some rigging :classic:.

Fancy warship, great to have in on Oleon's side!

Wonderful ship! She's beautiful. I love just how sleek and clean she is. Glad she is on the right side of BoBS.

Well, that is one heck of an introduction to BoBS! She's a beautiful ship. Great lines, great colors, and I will concur with KB's fondness of the side galleries. All I can do is echo what others have already said! I look forward to seeing more works from your shipyard! :thumbup:

excellent build Bodi, welcome to BoBS. I love all the detailing you did on the ship. The cabin and the forecastle are fantastic. Keep up the good work!

On 2017/3/18 at 9:15 PM, SilentWolf said:

This ship is a beautiful frigate. I really like the colors you used and the lines of the ship. As only a beginning shipbuilder myself, your ship gives me a lot of inspiration on things to do and ways to make ships look better. This is definitely a great way to make an entrance into BOBS. I look forward to more of your builds in the future. 

Glad you like it, Wolf. I saw your Terraman today, she's a real beast, I imagine she can be easily converted into a two-decker in wartime.:wink:

23 hours ago, Garmadon said:

... Welcome to the Brick Seas! :pir-classic:

Thank you Garmadon. I shall see to add some stay sails later. To be frank, I hadn't no idea what's a stay sail or sprit sail etc, before I start the shipbuilding, usually I pick a picture of a ship as reference, the sails configuration depends entirely on the condition in which the ship was when the photo was taken. If she's sailing in full sail, so will be my ship. :grin:

22 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

That is one heck of an introduction...

As for advice, I would recommend working on the sails and rigging. ...

Can't wait to see your next design.

Thank you for your kind comment, Captain. The works of shipbuilders in this forum gave me a lot of inspiration, they made the way much easier and provided a right path to follow.The  brick-built guns are stud-shooter, these things are just ideal to build small guns.

The rigging is a real challenge, especially those ratlines. I have to find a way.

21 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

Well done, glad to have been an inspiration for you to equip some rigging :classic:.

Fancy warship, great to have in on Oleon's side!

Glad to hear that from you Sebeus I. 

20 hours ago, KotZ said:

Wonderful ship! She's beautiful. I love just how sleek and clean she is. Glad she is on the right side of BoBS.

Thank you. It's an honour to serve under the Fleur de Lys.

19 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Well, that is one heck of an introduction to BoBS! She's a beautiful ship. Great lines, great colors, and I will concur with KB's fondness of the side galleries. All I can do is echo what others have already said! I look forward to seeing more works from your shipyard! :thumbup:

Thank you! The workers of my shipyard just launched a drakkar, double ration of rum can do wonders.:pir_laugh2:

19 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Beautyful, that's the word... I love it very much...

I think I will look forward to your ships for little bit inspiration.

Glad you like it, Professor.

18 hours ago, Mesabi said:

excellent build Bodi, welcome to BoBS. I love all the detailing you did on the ship. The cabin and the forecastle are fantastic. Keep up the good work!

Thank you. I'm quite satisfied with the cabin, the forecastle is hum, I think it's too high, but with the sails added, it's less noticeable.

Starting one's carreer in BoBS with a 40 gun frigate has never been seen before, I believe. Very impressive. I will not repeat all the praising of the hull, only say that it is very well done, and with great many details.

A few suggestions for rigging instead. (What you have is pretty good, but in principle, I always try to give some constructive feedback on ships)

It seems your rigging is altogether a bit too small in scale, as if lifted from a smaller ship. Your mainmast should probably be taller. Currently, it is about 3/4 of the length of the hull, while in most configurations, especially for frigates, it is slightly taller than the length of the hull. Raising the other masts similarly to keep it in balance. Your yardarms might need similar enlargement, but bracing them round a bit might be enough, though, to let the space between the masts seem less empty. :)

I would also suggest, for your next ship, to use less technic parts and more string to suspend the yards, making them fall more naturally.

Also, did I ever say... AMAZING BUILD! :pir-grin:

7 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Starting one's carreer in BoBS with a 40 gun frigate has never been seen before, I believe. Very impressive. I will not repeat all the praising of the hull, only say that it is very well done, and with great many details.

A few suggestions for rigging instead. (What you have is pretty good, but in principle, I always try to give some constructive feedback on ships)

It seems your rigging is altogether a bit too small in scale, as if lifted from a smaller ship. Your mainmast should probably be taller. Currently, it is about 3/4 of the length of the hull, while in most configurations, especially for frigates, it is slightly taller than the length of the hull. Raising the other masts similarly to keep it in balance. Your yardarms might need similar enlargement, but bracing them round a bit might be enough, though, to let the space between the masts seem less empty. :)

I would also suggest, for your next ship, to use less technic parts and more string to suspend the yards, making them fall more naturally.

Also, did I ever say... AMAZING BUILD! :pir-grin:

Thank you for your precious advice, Bregir, you saved me a lot time in searching for documentation. :thumbup:

58 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Glad you like it, Wolf. I saw your Terraman today, she's a real beast, I imagine she can be easily converted into a two-decker in wartime.:wink:

I just wanted to clarify that the beautiful Terraman that was just posted was by Capt Wolf.

25 minutes ago, SilentWolf said:

I just wanted to clarify that the beautiful Terraman that was just posted was by Capt Wolf.

Oh my mistake, sorry. 

Great to see another ship builder on board! (although Eslandola could really use some more...)
Well, what is there to say about this ship? Great to see a large Frigate (well, this is about as big as they got at the time), especially a good one! Overall, it is a good ship, but there are some small parts that you can see about improving on your next ship. Right now, your stern galleries (good looking ones!) are going quite far out from the hull; this isn't bad, but right now they are the widest part of the ship, which they usually shouldn't be. This could be fixed by going a bit further inwards with the hull towards them, but I would see this as a suggestion for your next ship, as it is a small issue.
The biggest one I have with this area is the area above them though - the curved part is good, but it looks very rough, with the exposed studs next to cheeseslopes. You could try using different wedgeplates stacked above each other (keeping the studs) or replace the curved parts with slopes or curved slopes(removing or completely covering them). Or just make the cheese slope usage more consistent in the area (partially covering the studs, easiest solution) - that should already solve it.
If you want some quick feedback for your next ship, you may head with pictures of your WIP to the Shipyards Guild Hall - we are always glad to help! (Maybe doublecheck with the other Oleanders if you should do that if it is an even bigger ship ;))

As well as this - I could go and repeat everything positive said by the others about this ship, just read all that into this sentence, as this is a fantastic frigate! Looking forward to the next one!

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said! She is a beautiful ship Sir, and even more amazing as it is your first! Oleon is lucky to have you!

15 hours ago, Legostone said:

Great to see another ship builder on board! (although Eslandola could really use some more...)...

Working on it. I plan to replace the curved part with slope bricks, to eliminate once for all these indesirable studs. I'll keep you updated with the progress. :pir-sweet:

11 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said! She is a beautiful ship Sir, and even more amazing as it is your first! Oleon is lucky to have you!

Thank you for your kind comment. 

9 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Gorgeous!

Glad you like it, mate.

4 hours ago, Bodi said:

Working on it. I plan to replace the curved part with slope bricks, to eliminate once for all these indesirable studs. I'll keep you updated with the progress. :pir-sweet:

Thank you for your kind comment. 

Glad you like it, mate.

Hello, Legostone, the exposed studs are now replaced by snot assembled bricks.

Sorry, forgot to attach the picture.

14900077538_DISPLAY.jpg

Beautiful frigate. It's a very fine vessel all around, although more advanced rigging would certainly be nice, if you feel the need to do it, of course. The overall shape is good and she's obviously well-armed. Beyond that I don't think I can add much to what has already been said. Good work.