Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Am I the only one grumpy that Vader's figure is no longer rare?

Keeping minifigs rare is a pretty disgusting anti-consumer practice. It makes things harder for actual fans of the product, and only serves to encourage scalpers. At least with background characters there's some justification, int he form of lack of justification in putting them in more sets, but with main characters, characters who Lego's core target audience wants to play with, its just disgusting.

Edited by Magmafrost

Just now, Magmafrost said:

Keeping minifigs rare is a pretty disgusting anti-consumer practice. It makes things harder for actual fans of the product, and only serves to encourage scalpers.

+1

Also, making minifigures exclusive resulted to bootleggers filling that gap TLG had created so the lesser the "rare" minifigures are, the better for casual collectors and consumers.

Victims of their own marketing philosophy... well here in Australia two of the summer wave won't get a retail release which is poor. Only option is S@H.

1 hour ago, Darth Malgus said:

Victims of their own marketing philosophy... well here in Australia two of the summer wave won't get a retail release which is poor. Only option is S@H.

Not to mention it takes away all hope of ever seeing those sets for an even vaguely reasonable price. The TIE advanced and A-wing is literally cheaper to import from the US on ebay...

4 hours ago, Artanis I said:

What would be the play features of the quadjumper? Press a button and it breaks into a million parts?

Haha, that would make sense :D

Really though, what's so interesting about this design? Remember Ben Quadrinaros' podracer? Well it's that. With the cabin reworked and stuck between the engines and some added wing-thingies. 

It's true though, that as TFA lacked any imaginative ship design, so it's pretty much the only option that hasn't been made yet. And Han's freighter, but that's also not much to look at. 

But I would rather see a good, improved OT mode, or a proper T-70 any day, than some vehicle tucked away in a corner in a movie, or modified designs of existing ships in Rebels. 

Or anything from this Freemaker ad series....

If anything im happy Vader is going to finy be in a cheap set and im an owner of the Final Duel. He's just one of those characters every kid and AFOL should have so the fact he wasnt as readily available vexed me.

46 minutes ago, Forresto said:

If anything im happy Vader is going to finy be in a cheap set and im an owner of the Final Duel. He's just one of those characters every kid and AFOL should have so the fact he wasnt as readily available vexed me.

Agreed. If an obscure character is rare, fine. But Vader is one of, if not the most prominent character in Star Wars.

I'm glad that like Boba Fett, Lego is releasing Vader in a cheap set. Everyone should have the opportunity to own these figures.

4 hours ago, brobert said:

It's true though, that as TFA lacked any imaginative ship design, so it's pretty much the only option that hasn't been made yet. And Han's freighter, but that's also not much to look at.

Yeah, I'm not sure if you've had the chance to look at the The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens but it looks like the story team mostly focused on scenes and story concepts rather than ships.
In fact, I don't recall any notable ship designs in that book other than the Quad Jumper, Resistance Troop Transporter, First Order Transport, and Han's freighter.

...and of course, there were Tie Fighters and such but those are really rehashed more than original designs.

The only two unused designs I can even find are from here: http://www.comingsoon.net/extras/features/643413-10-scrapped-ideas-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens?fullpage=1#/slide/1

It states that "Rick Carter and his art department were definitely brainstorming new hero ships including J-wings, K-wings and a Tri-winged tie fighter" but that J.J. wanted "throwbacks to the OT ties and X-wings" instead.

So, maybe we'll see some of these other ship designs in Episode VIII...

12 hours ago, TWP said:

Maybe the Quadjumper was featured heavily in the Lego Force Awakens game, it might be that there are some missions with it and I think it has the Crimson Corsair appearing on Jakku too in the game. I can see that a valid reason of making it into a set :wink:

Yes, think something like that would make more sense. There is a deficit of Takodana characters

11 hours ago, paulsp2012 said:

Definitely. I may be stating star wars lego blasphemy by saying it but I prefer sets that are "scenes" rather than just a ton of ships/vehicles.

I totally agree, there have been all too little focus on buildings and locations. There are more alternatives to play with, display as well as more alternatives to modify

I'm a vehicle collector so I welcome more vehicles - but the reason why I'm not a huge fan of location-based sets is that they're usually quite lacklustre and small. Personally, the most memorable location-based set in recent memory is Jabba's palace.

7 minutes ago, Aethersprite said:

I'm a vehicle collector so I welcome more vehicles - but the reason why I'm not a huge fan of location-based sets is that they're usually quite lacklustre and small. Personally, the most memorable location-based set in recent memory is Jabba's palace.

You're right they have been lackluster as of late but I think they also have the potential to be the greatest and most memorable sets when lego designs them right.

1 hour ago, Aethersprite said:

True, I think you can also count in The Ewok Village set. :)

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

I just hope a UCS Cloud City is on the cards for Lego in 2017.

As much as I'd like for that to happen, it's very unlikely at this point! Fans have been asking for some sort of Bespin sets for ages, and all we've got is Carbon freezing chamber! Lego is ignoring our Cloud City needs , and I don't understand why. There's clearly a demand for CS set either UCS or normal set, so it will sell as long as it's good. Plus there's been no reports of Bespin sets making an appearance in 2017, so it's probably not going to happen.

True, so let's hope TLG forces us to want the quadjumper, like they did with the snowspeeder with zero screentime! :laugh:

20 minutes ago, Squarefoot_Calrissian said:

I've been away from eurobrocks since July so it's been quite a while and I'm trying to catch up on the news :classic:

Has there been any news on UCS sets for 2017? Any reply is appreciated :thumbup:

The short answer is no. Nothing new since you were last here. ;)

On 10/16/2016 at 11:06 AM, GeekByKnight said:

I hope the Guavian set doesn't have Han, Chewie, Finn and Rey. Id much rather the set be an actual Gang, maybe with a playset based on the interior of the ship Han and Cheque were flying. Rathtar would be great too, maybe something similar to the portal on the Doctor Strange set.

I'd like it to have Han & Chewie, but I don't think it needs Finn or Rey.  A Rathtar would be nice, preferably molded:

hqdefault.jpg

On 10/17/2016 at 10:51 AM, brobert said:

Which I don't quite understand, since it's a vehicle that was seen in the movie for literally 1 minute or less, until it's blown to pieces. And it kinda looks like a simple podracer...but whatever floats their boats I guess...

It's not about screen time, it's about the ship itself.

On 10/17/2016 at 1:04 PM, Tariq j said:

I wonder whether the Quadjumper will come with the Niima Outpost Gate. I think it would really appeal for those who want to create a Jakku set up with the sets.

I would absolutely love to get the gate with the Quadjumper.

On 10/17/2016 at 6:48 PM, Magmafrost said:

The Quadjumper is really the only interesting ship design in TFA. Even if its such a minor thing in the film, its still an interesting design.

I agree.  There are some cool redesigns, but this was a nice unique design.

20 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Am I the only one grumpy that Vader's figure is no longer rare?

I think so.  I don't like when minifigures are rare, it means that some people will be unable to get them or have to pay ridiculous prices to get them, and I find both of these to be unacceptable.

19 hours ago, Magmafrost said:

Keeping minifigs rare is a pretty disgusting anti-consumer practice. It makes things harder for actual fans of the product, and only serves to encourage scalpers. At least with background characters there's some justification, int he form of lack of justification in putting them in more sets, but with main characters, characters who Lego's core target audience wants to play with, its just disgusting.

I agree, rare minifigures negatively impacts the end-user.

19 hours ago, makoy said:

+1

Also, making minifigures exclusive resulted to bootleggers filling that gap TLG had created so the lesser the "rare" minifigures are, the better for casual collectors and consumers.

I was going to point this out, as well.  The last thing we want is for money to go to a bootleg competitor rather than into LEGO's profits.  Keeping minifigures rare will do just that.

44 minutes ago, Forresto said:

I never thought about it but wow we could get a Rathtar! We have to! Now THAT is exciting!

I would love to see that figure. They should make it a buildable fig though so they could have the flailing tentacle function like in the Doctor Strange set.

2017 is the 40th Anniversary of the original Star Wars so it's unlikely we'll see a UCS Cloud City set released next year. I've got my fingers crossed for a UCS Mos Eisley!

14 hours ago, Forresto said:

I totally agree. I've been a LEGO Star Wars fan for quite some time now, and the only Darth Vader I own is the medal one from the Empire Strikes Out DVD. I quite look forward to this new Vader Transformation set.

Main characters should never be rare. I think its great that Vader, Maul and Qui-Gon will be easy to obtain in affordable sets next year. Just wish the same could happen for Leia and Padme.