MCNwakeboard

Suspended Lego Train Track

Hope your engine driver isn't afraid of heights ;) Nice job although I would be concerned about the train falling, I notice the tracks do move a bit.

Yes, there is some movement for sure since they are held up by 2x8 plates with only one side anchored in. I've had the large wheels come off a bit with the Emerald Night but haven't had problems with the Maersk Train. The corners were by far the hardest but I just built a base with plates and it seems to hold up well.

9156898323_f0e59b46c5_n.jpg9159122046_4d68d5a584_n.jpg

Its amazing that the only non LEGO in that solution is the screw in the bracket, brilliant

Fantastic idea, i love it! :)

btw you could try and build triangular support like the ones for shelves (like this one), maybe with standard click hinges. It should greatly reduce whobbling.

Great idea for the children to lay in bed watching the train go around. I was thing of similar but the height meant scenery would have to extremely restricted and I want to be able to interact with it. Nonetheless this is a nice idea and I am sure the children will enjoy it no end.

Nice to see an implementation of this in LEGO; it's really neat, and your nearly all-LEGO solution is cool.

I decided not to do a suspended track for various reasons, but I think it worked out well.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I created a shorter movie with the Maersk Train that shows the track from a bit further out.

Edited by MCNwakeboard

Nice work. I like your implementation. Could the flexing work the plates loose over time?

Very cool. None of my trains would clear the curves though, or in some cases the straights, either. :) Still, a very ingenious minimalist design.

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie

This is super cool :wub: very lucky kids. What I would have done to have something like this in my room when I was a youngen :blush:

Love the idea, but would be really worried one of the trains might fall off in time...

Nice, very nice. Can your kid actually switch the train off, or do you have to do that? (Switching off as in: preventing

the battery from draining, not just stopping the train). I can imagine it's hard to reach, which may be intended, depending

on the age.

Thanks for the comments. It has been up a week and I haven't noticed any flexing plates, but it is very possible over time. From the screws that I have tested, they seem to be hold up well. I usually stop the train in the corners since there a bit more support there with the Lego plates.

I did consider using long plates to support the straight tracks but since the wall supports are 10 inches apart (two tracks) it would be fairly expensive to purchase long plates.

Clearing the corners was challenging for the Emerald Night, specifically for the blinders in the front as you might have noticed it was changed in the film.

I have to switch the battery on and run it for the most part, mostly be design since he is 10 months old.

In Austin Tx, they have a McDonalds that is right next to a ToysRUs right off of rt 35 that has two different LGB trains that travel around the top of the ceiling like this. They go back into the kitchen and then come back out and sound off the horn. I never thought to do this with lego trains though. I have one set and when I have kids I am going to attempt to do this as long as my lady lets me. The extra track had to be pretty pricey....

Couldn't you use reverse slopping peices to build more of a bracket, so that the weight of the track pushes against the wall more, making it more stable? Or perhaps some technic crossarms that go down diagonally? Basically I mean make something so the track goes like this: At the bottom, you could stick another bracket and screw.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/

||||||||||||||||||||||||||/

||||||||||||||||||||||||/

||||||||||||||||||||||/

||||||||||||||||||||/

||||||||||||||||||/

||||||||||||||||/

|||||||||||||/

||||||||||/

||||||/

Edited by Goldenmasamune

Couldn't you use reverse slopping peices to build more of a bracket, so that the weight of the track pushes against the wall more, making it more stable? Or perhaps some technic crossarms that go down diagonally? Basically I mean make something so the track goes like this: At the bottom, you could stick another bracket and screw.

Yes that is an option similar to the one that msx80 suggested with a triangular support. Most of the stability issues are related to the track connections that don't have a wall support as those are only used every two tracks. Using the reverse slopes is an option but would require quite a few pieces. A diagonal technic cross arm would be a good option, just not something I had in the initial planning and but probably something I could test out to see how much it helps.

Cool way of execution, love the lego L as mounting brackets.

Was thinking about doing something similar, but half my room is blocked off with full height cupboards. So to make a loop, I would have to have suspended track across the middle of my room. :sceptic:

Seemed to risky. Not only for the train, but also for my safety. :laugh:

Well, if i were to do it, I would have mounted wooded planks around the wall, then put the tracks on the planks. Would probably result in a less shaky railway...

Edited by Gavinfuzzy