Hi Guys

I'm interested to know if there are any of you out there that are disabled and build Lego Technic.

In 1983 at the age of 19 I had a motorcycle accident that left me a Tetraplegic and confined to a wheelchair. Following a 10 month stay in hospital I was discharged to start my ‘new’ life.  Since then my days have consisted of reading, listening to music or sitting in front of a computer tapping away aimlessly trying to pass the time.  Besides my family and friends only the music gave me any real contentment.

Unfortunately 4yrs ago I had another accident when the anti-tip device on my wheelchair failed while going over a step. The impact of my head on the concrete was enough to leave my hearing badly damaged, no more music, and I now have severe tinnitus.

Until July last year I spent my time ‘wallowing’ in my own problems and wasn’t always much fun to be around.

One day I received a request from my 4 year old grandson, Jake. He'd broken a little LEGO car he'd made and wanted me to help him put it back together.  Although I have no use of my hands I didn’t have the heart to say no so after a bit of stalling and quick thinking I set about trying to help him by holding pieces in my mouth and guiding them to their ‘destination’. Although not always successful I persevered, had great fun and felt a real feeling of achievement & pride. The concentration also helped my tinnitus to the point that my moods have changed completely. That first little set took nearly a week. Following that I bought & built for him the 7638 Tow Truck, 7737 Coast Guard 4WD & Trailer and 7942 Off Road Fire Rescue set. These all took several weeks.

After doing these sets I now considered myself to be an expert builder :wink: and decided to challenge myself so I bought the 7743 Mobile Police Command Centre and to my surprise I managed to complete it, all using my mouth and only needing help twice.  It had taken me 3 weeks but I did it.

I was so proud of myself I had what can only be described as a mad moment. I thought I'd try something a little bigger, maybe a Technic set. I whilst looking around I saw the 8258 Crane Truck on Amazon for £62.99 and bought it. My reasoning being if I couldn't build it I can always sell it.

Well, cutting a long story short, after about 6 hours a day, 6 days a week and 22 weeks in total it was done. 1800+ parts all by mouth. The stickers were the only things I didn't do.

Since then I've built the 8725 Bulldozer, 8043 Excavator, 8053 Mobile Crane, 8458 Silver Champion, 8285 Tow Truck, 8466 4 x 4, 8274 Combine Harvester, 8416 Fork Lift, 8048 Buggy (which I've motorised), 8262 Quad Bike, 8264 Rally Truck & numerous other smaller technic sets.

You might say I'm hooked! I scour the internet, eBay, Gumtree, Friday Ads etc looking for boxed sets at a good price with my best bargain being the 8458 Silver Champion & 8285 Tow Truck bought together from Gumtree for £30 inc delivery!

My crowning glory and the one I feel most proud of is my latest build. The 8110 Uni Mog. I now know the meaning of the phrase 'The agony and the ecstasy!' The only parts not fitted by me (not for want of trying!) was the pneumatic tubes.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone in a similar situation to myself.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit but there's no quick way of explaining an obsession!!!

UPDATE

I feel I must explain how I build so as not to mislead anyone.

As I said, I have no use of my hands, I'm unable to move my fingers.  The use of my arms, while limited, is enough to enable me to reach parts and either 'drag' them towards me or, after (I know, Yuk!) licking the end of a finger to make it 'tacky', pick small pieces up. 

The sets pieces emptied from their bags into the sets box by my very dear (and very understanding) Wife and using a spoon straped to my hand I load them into into sorting cases. I have acquired from various sources, 12 of the (8062) Technic Briefcases. Some with & some without the sets. Each has 2 trays and numerous adjustable dividers and as they're shallow they're better to reach into.

Larger pieces are picked either by mouth (like a demented chicken pecking or so I've been told) wedging the piece between 2 fingers or using a pair of artery forceps, a surgeons tool similar to a pair of scissors (hitherto referred to as clamps). I hook my thumb through one loop and hold the other loop in my mouth.

90% of the pieces are picked up, joined, worked on by mouth but when I can't do this the same clamps and method described above are used sometimes to fix awkwardly sited friction pins in place or help squeeze pieces together.

If the clamps won't do the job I find a swift whack with the solid part of the side of my hand, or 'Grum Knock' as my Grandson calls it, often does the trick.

One other method is to use a thick terracotta coaster. The pieces to be joined are slid up against the side of the 8962 case or wooden tea tray if available and the coaster is then slid up to the pieces. It's then a matter of a few of the aforementioned whacks/Grum Knocks and usually 'hey presto' they're joined. However, pieces have been known to go flying of the table at a spectacular velocity until gravity takes over and it, rather inconveniently, lands on the floor. One piece was found on the patio having flown out the conservatory window! Note to self: It's better to sweat than to swear!

I've also made 'cradles' from Lego to hold assemblies in place while working on them and use axles threaded through the holes in pieces to hold them in alignment while trying to join them.

I've found that with a bit of lateral thinking and a few house hold bits and pieces I do get things done. All except those pesky pneumatic tubes. 

Again, I'm sorry for babbling on but I felt it necessary, after reading all your kind words, to make it clear what I can and can't do.  If it helps, for those who might know, I'm a C4/5 (complete) Tetraplegic.

UPDATE 12 May 2012

For those of you who I've not bored to tears or put to sleep, I've a further posting you might be interested in reading.

I've now finished the first parts of what I call, somewhat grandly, Project 'Mog. If you're interested (and still awake!!!) you can find it by entering Project 'Mog in the search box at the top of this page. Apologies for the links to the pics, I've not got to grips with uploading pics to Eurobricks.

If you're going to read it, thank you, if not, those who know me understand! I do tend to babble on!

grum64

PLEASE NOTE:

The above has been edited (09/09/2014) to remove a fulfilled request for help (Thank you) with a problem I was having and to correct spelling/grammatical errors.

Edited by grum64

Well Grum64 I take my hat off to you. I work for a rehab company and can really appreciate the enjoyment you must have from completing these models despite life changing scenarios. I'm sure you could be a great role model for others who may baulk at such a task. Do you also try to use LDD via head control software?

To quote others on here : keep on building!

A trully inspiring story! Just goes to show if you love doing something, there are ni limits to what you can acomplish! Personally I dont know any other disabled builder besides you, but you are an inspiration for others!

Congrats and DONT GIVE UP!

Wow - amazing story! You sound like you're obsessed now for sure and you have built some great sets so far. :thumbup: You need an 8421 to go along with your very nice collection. :classic:

Just wow, that's really inspiring. I'm not disabled but technic sure has made a great difference to my life, particularly early childhood. If you're interested, tho not as inspiring as yours, the story of how Lego technic shaped my life can be found here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33425&st=0&p=581061&fromsearch=1entry581061

Another small story I know of is that of Richard Hammond (the UK Top Gear presenter). When he was recovering in hospital after his near fatal crash, he was given a technic tractor as a gift. Apparently he said it really really helped to get over his brain injuries.

And especially welcome to Eurobricks. From personal experience this place really is the friendliest place on the net, and you will have many friends here.

What a fantastic story!

Your dedication seems to fit my personal slogan "Nothing is impossible, the impossible only takes longer time"

Keep up the good work, and keep telling this story to other, I'm sure it will be a big suport for many that struggles with even smaller hurdle.

Well Grum64 I take my hat off to you. I work for a rehab company and can really appreciate the enjoyment you must have from completing these models despite life changing scenarios. I'm sure you could be a great role model for others who may baulk at such a task. Do you also try to use LDD via head control software?

To quote others on here : keep on building!

Good Evening

Thank you for your very kind words.

About the LDD. Being a tetraplegic, I have very limited use of my arms but no use of my hands/fingers. I use laptop for things like browsing etc but haven't the fine control needed for drawing etc. To type, I use a piece of dowel strapped to my hand that has a rubber thimble on the end of it

I've looked at LDD and had a brief go but struggled a bit. I've also tried MLCad. I tried to 'draw up' a double bucket alternative to the 8110's grabber, Windows 'Sticky Keys' prove usefull as does a trackball. I've had a few attempts but can't quite envisage how to get the buckets to meet in and even and realistic way with the teeth intermeshing. I'll get there eventually but my next build is calling. I've just got the 8868 Air Claw.

Thanks again for your reply and kind words.

Wow - amazing story! You sound like you're obsessed now for sure and you have built some great sets so far. :thumbup: You need an 8421 to go along with your very nice collection. :classic:

Good Evening

I'm overwhelmed by the response to my post. I thank you and everyone else who's taken the time to leave such kind words.

As for the 8421, I did buy one from eBay, It cost me £77 but it had no box or instructions. Me, not knowing much about the collectability of some sets then sold it on eBay for £125 thinking I'd see another at that sort of price with instructions etc,. I've not been able to find one in my price range since. Lesson Learnt!!!

If you want instructions for a set 3 years or older, you can usually find them online at peeron.com

You sound more gifted than disabled to me! Enjoy the Air Claw Rig build and keep an eye out for that elusive 8421 - I know you won't let it slip past you the next time!

Just wow, that's really inspiring. I'm not disabled but technic sure has made a great difference to my life, particularly early childhood. If you're interested, tho not as inspiring as yours, the story of how Lego technic shaped my life can be found here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33425&st=0&p=581061&fromsearch=1entry581061

Another small story I know of is that of Richard Hammond (the UK Top Gear presenter). When he was recovering in hospital after his near fatal crash, he was given a technic tractor as a gift. Apparently he said it really really helped to get over his brain injuries.

And especially welcome to Eurobricks. From personal experience this , place really is the friendliest place on the net and you will have many friends here.

I've just read your story and you call me inspiring.

Like you, Lego has completely changed my life and I'll be forever grateful to all those involved in its design, production etc,. In fact I wrote to the head of the Lego company in Denmark to let him know how much I appreciate the staffs efforts. About 2 weeks later,to my surprise, I received a parcel and inside was the 8053 Mobile Crane and a really nice letter.

What a company!

By the way, I see what you mean by this forum being the friendliest place on the net.

This is a really intriguing story that - once again - shows that LEGO is so much more than a toy alone. Thank you for sharing this with us. Also I think that it is nearly impossible for us to imagine just how life looks when you can't do what most people can do. I hope you can find joy in not only building the sets, but discussing everything LEGO related here on the boards. I mean, it is one thing to enjoy something, it is a whole other thing to be able to discuss your passion with others.

Just out of curiosity, not sure if I can even ask this, but do you think you will ever be building MOCs?

PS of the Air Tech Claw Rig, be sure to check out the alternative model too. I think it's one of the best alternative models out there :)

You built 8043! I bow down to you, I don't even understand the instructions! This just shows that there is no limit to anything, no matter how you are. Oh, and Lego is a really great company, they have excellent service.

This is a really intriguing story that - once again - shows that LEGO is so much more than a toy alone. Thank you for sharing this with us. Also I think that it is nearly impossible for us to imagine just how life looks when you can't do what most people can do. I hope you can find joy in not only building the sets, but discussing everything LEGO related here on the boards. I mean, it is one thing to enjoy something, it is a whole other thing to be able to discuss your passion with others.

Just out of curiosity, not sure if I can even ask this, but do you think you will ever be building MOCs?

PS of the Air Tech Claw Rig, be sure to check out the alternative model too. I think it's one of the best alternative models out there :)

Good Evening

Thank you also for your kind words.

As for the MOCS, the nearest I've gotten is the 8048 Buggy. I wouldn't really class that as a MOC though. I just stuck a motor on top of the 'cylinder block', a few gears on the back and another motor & gears for the steering. My grandson loves playing with it but is not happy as he can't his put a mini figure in to 'drive it' as the battery box has replaced the seats!

As it was done using 90% of the kits parts it doesn't come close to the stuff you guys do. I've not really got the smarts to put an idea into reality. I'll keep trying though. Practice makes perfect.

You built 8043! I bow down to you, I don't even understand the instructions! This just shows that there is no limit to anything, no matter how you are. Oh, and Lego is a really great company, they have excellent service.

The 8043... It was indeed a bugger!!!!

About the LDD...

Unfortunately you dont have enough posts (yet) for a PM; but lets say that I worked with a few tetraplegics who had enough proximal arm motor control to use a large joystick to guide wheelchairs, and the same joysticks worked well as mouse input devices. It should be relatively easy to configure one large joystick for the mouse (left hand), and the other to map to the arrow keys (needed for LDD). A head switch could easily replicate the functionality of pressing space or ctrl etc. If you have enough wrist extension then a tenodesis grasp should help provide some stability for building...

Anyhow I look forward to seeing some photos of grandfather and grandson building technic in the best possible way. And perhaps, breaking into Mindstorms for some really fancy programming! Technicbricks has many great adventures - especially this sorting machine or a simpler mechanical one.

@ Grum64:

What a inspiring and hopeful story. Thanks for sharing it.

If you are looking for any older buildinginstructions you might want to take a look here or here.

Keep on building and sharing!

Iv been browsing Eurobricks forum for months. I never had anything interesting to post / comment. Your story did it! I am so happy and pround of You! I wish I could meet You one day :)

Wow your story is absolutely astonishing and inspiring! I thought those sets were hard to build with hands, i can even imagine without them. Keep on building!

tim

Wow, what an amazing story. Reading this just made my day! You are an inspiration to us all.

You reminded me of one of the reasons I never feel guilty about spending money on Lego (other than the obvious ones) - it brings so much joy to the world that I want to make sure TLG continues to prosper forever.