I have a question. What does it mean when an engine is V6 or V8? Is it the numer of pistons or is it something different?

Yes, the number is the number of cylinders. The "V" means that the cylinders are arranged in two banks in the shape of a V. By comparison, most 4-cylinders are "inline" meaning that all cylinders are in one row, and some six cylinders are "boxer" or "horizontally opposed" which means that the two banks of cylinders face directly away from each other. There are a couple more rare and odd configurations like "W" or "H". Most modern 4 cylinders are inline, most modern 6 and 8 cylinders are V.

Since 4 cylinders are arranged inline, I suppose 6 and 8 are in a V-shape (at least partly) due to the space, to avoid the engine from being too long.

Or I'm completely in the wild.

Since 4 cylinders are arranged inline, I suppose 6 and 8 are in a V-shape (at least partly) due to the space, to avoid the engine from being too long.

Space is one consideration, but dynamic balance is another important reason for cylinder arrangement.

Yup, that's partially right. An additional reason is that V engines are more balanced, and do not have issues with crankshafts. Some early straight engines had problems with the crankshaft twisting under stress.

but, back on topic. The 2h sets. If the information is correct, we will be getting an excavator, a crane, and a Mercedes truck of some sort.

Personally, my ideal scenario for the sets is as follows:

I hope the excavator is a bucket wheel type, mid size, with some new hubless gears to make the bucket, and have it be so that it can actually dig, and move the conveyors. It would have, along with the new gears, new parts for making truss frames. The largest excavators of this type I've seen are grey, but I've also seen some smaller ones in blue or green, which are both good, as long as it is bright green like 42039. Another good option would be a wheeled excavator, which has never been done in Technic before.

The crane is possibly a truss crane type, but I'd prefer a wheeled one versus a tracked one, like a Gottwald AK- 912

10001333035_5207e03285_z.jpg

It would include all parts to build a configuration with the derrick and the fly jib, as well as be displayable in transport configuration, as well as have a proper b model, unlike 8288. As for color, I kind of like the yellow and black of the crane above, but red also works. Other good options are a tracked lattice boom crane with an optional ballast cart, and everything else, or a rough terrain crane, another type of crane that hasn't been well represented in Technic.

Mercedes truck could mean a lot of things, but I'd personally like it to mean a G63 AMG 6x6, with amazing levels of detail, locking differentials, a proper gearbox, and new wheel covers for the large wheels, and unimog tires. Another good thing would be an Actros, with a pneumatic knuckleboom crane, and multidirectional tipping bed. I'd like it to be orange, or silver.

02_1598d800.jpg

Since the Actros is a very versatile type of truck, there are many options:

Semi truck with trailer. I'd like a Nooteboom extensible trailer, or maybe a Mega Windmill Transporter, or a Goldeofer vessel bed.

9035j800.jpg

9970a800.jpg

72200a800.jpg

I definitely prefer the 8 wheeled versions. :tongue:

Concrete mixer/pump

72208a800.jpg

71199d800.jpg

Tipper

825_09c800.jpg

Tow truck

72197e800.jpg

Log carrier

72183n800.jpg

These are just a few options available for the Actros, there are probably many more. :laugh:

Also good would be a 6x6 Zetros, as someone mentioned a few pages ago.

i think you just posting random pics based on nothing. Specially cos some of them are absolutely far from what LEGO can wisely put on the market.......they need to make profits.....don't forget it!

Now, as you 've been told, why don't you just wait for some official news/pics?

Another good option would be a wheeled excavator, which has never been done in Technic before.

This is not true. Set 8837 was a wheeled excavator.

8837-1.jpg

Edited by Balrog

8837 was my favorite one!!!! I still have it, OMG now I feel like LEGO should really make it!!!!!! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

i think you just posting random pics based on nothing. Specially cos some of them are absolutely far from what LEGO can wisely put on the market.......they need to make profits.....don't forget it!

Well excuse me for dreaming. I think you forgot to read the part about it being my ideal schenario for the sets. Also, these pictures aren't based on nothing, they are based on preliminary information already posted in this very thread. Keep in mind that this thread is not just about discussing official information and pictures, but what we want to see. Also, I feel a bit singled out, because several other people have posted things that are, as you say, "based on nothing",or "that Lego wouldn't make", and yet you chose to call me out.

Oops, I seem to have forgotten about 8837.

But, my point was that wheeled excavators are not really represented in Technic.

Edited by Saberwing40k

I think if Lego makes another small to medium sized excavator, it should be pneumatic for maximum playability.

Edited by Saberwing40k

True, however that is only for automobile type of engines (where the space under the hood is roughly square). In large construction and agricultural machines, 6-Cyl diesel engines are typically in-line.

Edited by DrJB

Rear wheel drive cars with longitudinally placed engines often also have inline 6 cylinder engines (although Mercedes switched to V6 some years ago). For transversal engines, inline 6 is normally too long.

Okay guys. Let's end the Engine configuration discussion and stick to 2015 set discussion. Feel free to make a new topic.

Don't moderate this topic. And bear in mind that Saberwing only expressed his personal ideas.

Who knows anything about the B-Models so far?

42032 has a pretty nice one, is that a pneumatics cyclinder I see on the crane arm?

tc9zvdvlnjiar83oxc9a.jpg

Also, are pictured for all the models for 2015 1H supposed to be on the original post?

If so, could the mods post the pictures for the sets not on there, like 42033

I believe that is a 2L pin connector with a single pin with pin hole on each end.

You can look up the parts list at Rebrickable, the mentioned parts are there.