This is in Action forum because when thread was made, it was thought that this line will be Castle theme

Actually, it started out in Historical because it was thought it would be Castle Themed. When it was determined it was a new minidoll themed it was moved to Action (And the Forum was renamed to Action & Adventure)

"the category that is generally used to house most not-quite-historic, not-quite-futuristic, not-quite-modern-day themes."

Indeed. The name Elves seemed like it would be a Fantasy Era style castle theme which had been teased with a map and other material during the Fantasy Era release time. When more details emerged there was some debate by staff and members as to where it would belong.

I put in the suggestion for Action because from the promotional "story" it seems to be a theme along the lines of girls adventure stories (in Cartoons, anime, comics etc). It was the best fit without a major forum re-organisation but did prompt a name change.

No one has any complaints about it so far!

Indeed. The name Elves seemed like it would be a Fantasy Era style castle theme which had been teased with a map and other material during the Fantasy Era release time. When more details emerged there was some debate by staff and members as to where it would belong.

I put in the suggestion for Action because from the promotional "story" it seems to be a theme along the lines of girls adventure stories (in Cartoons, anime, comics etc). It was the best fit without a major forum re-organisation but did prompt a name change.

No one has any complaints about it so far!

I'm happy with it! Although it HAS taken away any desire I might have had to venture into the historic themes forum—and I imagine they might be left wanting for more topics of discussion if the Hobbit sets don't continue and there aren't new Castle sets until next summer or later.

Often I think that if it wasn't for Hobbit/LotR then we would be "playing" with Elves in a proper castle. Maybe some other mythological creatures also ?

Often I think that if it wasn't for Hobbit/LotR then we would be "playing" with Elves in a proper castle. Maybe some other mythological creatures also ?

Maybe? But the Fantasy Castle theme ended and was replaced by the more realistic Kingdoms a few years before Lord of the RIngs, so it's far from a sure thing. In any case, the CMF fantasy figures are enough for me in terms of nonlicensed Tolkien-esque figs. I say bring on the minidolls!

It frankly did seem like Fantasy ended rather abruptly. Now people have disputed this, and they may be right, but here's what I think:

Fantasy ended abruptly in 2009 with 6 sets. Kingdoms started with a bang in 2010 (11 sets), but then quickly faded, with 4 sets in 2011, and only 1 in 2012 (Joust); the latest castle sets are just "Castle," brinklink doesn't even seem to have put them in a sub-category.

LEGO LOTR was announced in 2011.

OK, now bear with me for a moment... we'd had TONS of discussion on EB about the viability of The Lord of the Rings in LEGO. For the record, while I never thought it would happen, I was a huge proponent, and a lot of us gave a lot of great reasons why it would work. People said it was too dark, but there are examples of "dark" themes they'd done before - as long as it was fantasy - like certain aspects of Harry Potter, Star Wars, even some Indiana Jones sets. People said you need vehicles... we said there are horses, ships, winged beasts... and, really, you need things you can play with for the kids, not necessarily vehicles. They said there wouldn't be enough variety, we came up with dozens of viable sets (many of which have been made).

Now maybe TLG wasn't paying any particular attention to us, but we probably were not the only ones discussing it, and with the Hobbit movies forthcoming (at that time), I think TLG made a calculated move to eliminate competition a fantasy themed castle line would have with LOTR AND cut it off with enough time for the sets to clear off shelves before the movies and sets came out.

I think we missed out on fantasy era elves because TLG cut fantasy short for the sake of the LOTR/Hobbit license, even if they didn't have it in hand yet. I mean, the evidence was right there in their own propaganda - a map showing an elven land! They did everything else on that map!

I would be really happy to see a Fantasy II castle line that actually started with elves in the first wave. I know a lot of castle fans didn't like fantasy, but a lot of us only liked castle BECAUSE of fantasy... I got into castle because of Fantasy era, the only set I've bought since Joust (which I traded for LOTR stuff) was Dragon mountain because... hey, dragon!

CMF elves only get you so far, I'd like some variety. I can manage by mixing up a few characters and getting stuff from Brickforge, but original LEGO elves would be nice.

It frankly did seem like Fantasy ended rather abruptly. Now people have disputed this, and they may be right, but here's what I think:

And if it's the case, then we could expect Fantasy 2.0 in 2016 when the Hobbit sets have all but disappeared. EXCEPT, I'm not sure that there would be castle elf minifig sets at the same time as (or closely following) a theme with the name "Elves", minidolls or not. It's confusing marketing for the non hxcx fans.

And if it's the case, then we could expect Fantasy 2.0 in 2016 when the Hobbit sets have all but disappeared. EXCEPT, I'm not sure that there would be castle elf minifig sets at the same time as (or closely following) a theme with the name "Elves", minidolls or not. It's confusing marketing for the non hxcx fans.

You're probably right about that being confusing. Of course, conversely, a new Castle theme featuring elves would have the advantage of a huge number of pointy-eared hair molds that LOTR and Elves will have already brought to the table. So who knows?

You're probably right about that being confusing. Of course, conversely, a new Castle theme featuring elves would have the advantage of a huge number of pointy-eared hair molds that LOTR and Elves will have already brought to the table. So who knows?

I don't think they can use those Lord of the Rings molds again? I seem to recall hearing that the license holder said no? Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong? But I think they once put them on Pick-A-Brick, and then refunded people who bought them saying that they couldn't sell them? Or is that a fabricated memory?

In any case, you brought up that map. Ah, that map. I remember it well. With the Elf on it. I highly doubt the current Elves theme or Lord of the Rings had any bearing on that, but I could be wrong. I remember the guy saying "sorry, no elves" in response to that image. It does seem odd that they would draw it and never make it- but if I recall correctly, every other faction had a decent description while the elves just had "a wooded world of magic and wonder" or something generic like that? I'd need to see it again, it's been like five years.

I remember reading somewhere that the Elf was just a space filler?

I don't think they can use those Lord of the Rings molds again? I seem to recall hearing that the license holder said no? Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong? But I think they once put them on Pick-A-Brick, and then refunded people who bought them saying that they couldn't sell them? Or is that a fabricated memory?

In any case, you brought up that map. Ah, that map. I remember it well. With the Elf on it. I highly doubt the current Elves theme or Lord of the Rings had any bearing on that, but I could be wrong. I remember the guy saying "sorry, no elves" in response to that image. It does seem odd that they would draw it and never make it- but if I recall correctly, every other faction had a decent description while the elves just had "a wooded world of magic and wonder" or something generic like that? I'd need to see it again, it's been like five years.

I remember reading somewhere that the Elf was just a space filler?

I'm not sure exactly how the licensing for LotR works, but could it be possible that the rules against reuse only apply to the specific elements from those sets (thus making newly molded versions with yellow ears and such A-OK)?

And yeah, the Elf from that fantasy castle map was not based on any future plans. They very well might have moved on to elves if the sales of the Fantasy Castle theme had stayed strong enough to merit the theme's continuation, but ultimately it's not worth worrying about "what might have been".

Any mold that depicts an official movie prop or design would be covered under the license, and thus unavailable for use. The hair molds with the crowns, head molds, orc helmets, orc shields, specific weapons, the Mouth of Sauron headgear, and large creatures all covered.

I remember when Lego first created the baldric, and it seemed like that may have been generic enough that it would get non-licensed uses. Nope. It was only used for POTC and The Lone Ranger. Looks like Disney owns the rights to that mold.

Given that Lego has now made a completely separate set of elf ear molds for the CMFs and this theme, we may see Castle elves someday.

I remember when Lego first created the baldric, and it seemed like that may have been generic enough that it would get non-licensed uses. Nope. It was only used for POTC and The Lone Ranger. Looks like Disney owns the rights to that mold.

Disney owns this? The horror!

Baldrick.jpg

Those hair pieces all look fantastic! I can't wait until more info on this theme begins to surface!

EDIT: I just noticed that Brickshop.nl's product pages for the elves sets include a little rhyme: "Home to find she must be clever. Unity is needed more than ever." This is interesting. I'm guessing "she" refers to our protagonist, Emily Jones. Presenting the theme's premise as a rhyme definitely suits the fairy-tale imagery of the theme.

EDIT 2: The product descriptions on babybrick.ru also indicate that the purpose of the keys is to open the portal for Emily to return home.

Edited by Aanchir

Abit surprised to know that the ears are molded with the hairpieces. Excluding the ears, the ones are pretty similiar with Olivia and Sleepyhead. I'm not sure if making seperable ears is possible since that could be an economical way?

So... the elf girl from 41075, who doesn't appear in the box art along with other main elves (who hold the elemental powers), would also use a new hairpieces along with them? Could it mean that she would also be a key character, or these hairpieces are going to represent generic elves?

Edited by Dorayaki

Man, it's always tough keeping up with all the news and discussion around here - too many sets and themes! I'd seen something here earlier about a minidoll-based Elves theme, but today's the first time I've gotten to really go through the discussion and all. I must say, I'm looking forward to this, even if my wallet isn't.

Any mold that depicts an official movie prop or design would be covered under the license, and thus unavailable for use. The hair molds with the crowns, head molds, orc helmets, orc shields, specific weapons, the Mouth of Sauron headgear, and large creatures all covered.

It depends upon the item, and how specific the design is to a licensed work. Some elements created for licensed themes (Elizabeth Swann's hair, Indiana Jones's fedora, whip and bag, lightsaber hilts and blades, Harry Potter's hair, Hermione's hair, Dastan's hair, Thor's hammer, etc.) have indeed been reused in themes other than the ones for which they were created; some even appear in the other themes prior to the licensed use they were clearly designed for (Princess Leia's Ewok village hairstyle, for example). Other pieces, however, are forever tied to the themes they're created for (Star Wars alien and protocol droid heads, various helmets, and bigfig aliens and creatures; Indiana Jones Chachapoyan fertility idol and Mola Ram's headdress; Marvel's Hulk bigfig, Loki's helmet, etc.).

With the various hair / headgear elements created for The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings, it probably depends upon how elaborate the hairstyle is. Some of those braided dwarf beards and such are almost certainly tied to the license. But I'd bet some of the simpler hairstyles (like long straight hair with elf ears) are probably okay, at least in new colors.

It's kind of hard to judge the new hairpieces without any printing on the ears. They sort of blend in with the hair, and it looks weird. I'm sure they'll be fine once they're done, but for now they just look... off.

Will they be yellow or flesh?

It's kind of hard to judge the new hairpieces without any printing on the ears. They sort of blend in with the hair, and it looks weird. I'm sure they'll be fine once they're done, but for now they just look... off.

Will they be yellow or flesh?

Flesh, like other mini-dolls. Of course, nothing a dab of yellow paint won't fix, for those people looking to create custom elves for LEGO Castle displays.

The being "flesh" is fine by me, but the hair colors being so exotic, won't help their use in my displays, unfortunately.

Wow!

Those look great!

Love the hairpieces!

Edited by Robert8