BirdOPrey5

Serious question about Lego flowers

174 members have voted

1. 1. Do flowers go on stems studs up or studs down?

• The right way (studs up) ;)
    • The wrong way (studs down) :P
    • Either way
    • Is that a serious question?
    • Does LEGO make flowers?

I've always done studs up. I had no idea other people put them on backwards... :tongue:

It is nice that with LEGO you can go either way and it works.

I never would have imagined there was a "proper" way to use them? I always assumed they were meant to work either way to allow for some variations and textures.

During the '80s it was studs down... Guess we old guys still put htem taht way!

That would explain why I figured that was "Right" Back then is when I got into Lego. Then was out for a while.

In LDD they are shown studs down...

584ldd_flowers_studs_down.jpg

As far as I know every other brick in LDD is right side up in tool pallet.

I've always put them studs-up, don't think I even thought of putting them studs-down until I saw it in the instructions for Town Hall.

Because I prefer the look of studs-up flowers, I put them on that way in Town Hall, even though I usually follow instruction manuals precisely.

In a bit of retroactive justification to myself, all the official photos of Town Hall have studs-up flowers, only the instructions themselves are studs down :P

In LDD they are shown studs down...

584ldd_flowers_studs_down.jpg

As far as I know every other brick in LDD is right side up in tool pallet.

Just to nitpick, not every brick in LDD is right-side up. Just as an example, the new Hero Factory minifig cockpit piece is displayed upside-down in the parts palette. I'm sure there are others that aren't coming to mind, but LDD is far from a reliable resource on part orientation.

I'm early 80's, too, but I'm going to throw a wrench into the conversation:

I like a mixture of stup-up and stud-down flowers, especially when there's more than one or two triplets in a small area.

Even in the 80's studs down was the exception, not the rule, and I (child in the eighties) always put them studs up.

Laughing out very loud! Just a personal observation.

(From a quick look at comments, whether the studs are up or down on flowers appears to be an issue that primarily attracts the attention of males. Maybe females are too involved with other "serious" questions?!!! )

Anyway my vote is with the use them in both directions school to add depth and variety to the flora.

(We badly need other flower designs a la P---Mobil. Check out their roses, lilies, ivy, etc. Exquisite. And their older gardening sets are exquisite, too.)

I thought studs down was a relatively recent thing and I quite like it.

Anyway my vote is with the use them in both directions school to add depth and variety to the flora.

(We badly need other flower designs a la P---Mobil. Check out their roses, lilies, ivy, etc. Exquisite. And their older gardening sets are exquisite, too.)

These have been around but I don't think they are used on the traditional stems much:

33291.jpg?1

There are many new flower molds in friends sets.

93081c.jpg?1

93081d.jpg?1

93081e.jpg?1

Studs up would be needed to attach these guys:

93081b.jpg?1

93081a.jpg?1

^You have to also keep in mind, how many female AFOLs are out there? Let alone, how many are on this forum commenting? I don't see too many unfortunately. I think LEGO has been geared towards males, even though either gender can use it creatively. Not to start a new discussion, just my own observation about your observation :tongue:

Including a poll to this thread (as there is a poll function in this board it seems?) could be useful to know how many of each group there are :D

- studs up

- studs down

- mixed

- no flowers

Edited by antp

That pink one is used quit a bit in the Friends sets. My daughter has a lot of them.

Including a poll to this thread (as there is a poll function in this board it seems?) could be useful to know how many of each group there are :D

- studs up

- studs down

- mixed

- no flowers

Agreed, that would be a fun one.

Stud down for me too.

Maybe because when I placed flowers on the floor, the stud fit fine among baseplate studs.

@dr_spock

Great... one of my childhood sets! But I placed the flowers with stud down, anyway! :grin:

I too started LEGO in the '80s. I always assumed it was studs down and that's the way I always did it, as far as I can remember.. In fact, studs up looks really strange to me. Interesting. Thanks for pointing it out!

I have a lot of those newer types as my wife is a collector of Friends sets and you often get spares. I figured they were more of a ground hugging flower and have used some as that inbetween 'normal' flowers. To be honest I never noticed the hole, I feel compelled to go and see if they do indeed fit onto the 'normal' stems now and if so to use some in that way.

As I am currently ballasting up a lot of railway track to have enough segments to run a double loop around the living room I am useing quite a lot of flowers just to break up the green and grey and add a bit of colour. Now I am going to have to try this and also turn some of the old flowers upside down, (or the right way up?) depending on how you look at it.

Even though I have always been a studs down person for the old flowers I am now going to go and change some around for variety.

Just out of curiosity when putting them together do people prefer to have all three stems with the same colour flower, or do you like me try and put a different colour on each stem?