The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

On 11/13/2020 at 6:47 PM, Lucarex said:

The Caterham was hardly an iconic or beautiful car, and from what I’ve heard sold poorly even for an IDEAS set so that may explain the reluctance to approve niche cars. But then we’ve since seen iconic non-IDEAS sets like the VW bus, Routemaster, DB5, Fiat 500, so it’s not that unlikely IMO especially as can’t imagine LEGO already have a Auto Union Type C on the drawing board.

Caterham had serious design issues both in the user submitted version and the "refresh" by LEGO.  I was really looking forward to buying this set based on submission but was appalled at the product LEGO released. 

Compare the original: 

resize:1600:900 

With final product: 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7lqtghwh1xu2hp5ctG

I realize the original submission took a lot of liberties with the LEGO system but ooof. Hopefully TLG learned has a lot since then. 

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall
typos

5 minutes ago, Merlo said:

What seems to be the problem?

The distinctive exhaust was removed, brighter colour scheme, prominent logo on the side, steering problem in the final design, I could go on. Truth is, that the original design should never had been accepted because it took too many liberties. 

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

2 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

The distinctive exhaust was removed, brighter colour scheme, prominent logo on the side, steering problem in the final design, I could go on. Truth is, that the original design should never had been accepted because it took too many liberties. 

The exhaust was moved to the right side of the vehicle on the final model, but it wasn't removed. As for things like the logo and color scheme, keep in mind that those would have been decided on in conjunction with the license holder. They would not be things Lego decided on on their own.

Personally as someone who basically knew nothing about the original car before the set was released, I really enjoyed the Caterham set. It used some fascinating and impressive building techniques to achieve the distinctive shaping.

Milwaukee Art Museum reaches 10k supporters!

Edited by JintaiZ

Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask, but where can I find the ideas that reached 10k supporters?

Last time I saw the ideas.lego (cuusso or something like that?) it had a different design and they were listed together with the sets without 10k supporters, but now when I go to https://ideas.lego.com/search/global_search/ideas?idea_phase=idea_gathering_support&query=&sort=most_supported the highest amount of supporters is around 9400... I tried all the links in the menu :P

Edit: For others who cannot find it: you have to select the correct boxes in the filter of "project phase"

Edited by Lira_Bricks
Found it...

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

The Car Wash reaches 10k supporters. Congrats @paokus!

Hurrah! When I saw that set at the start of the year I thought it was terrific. I also thought it wouldn't get to 10k, as it was quite old and was still at 7 or 8k supporters, so I've been constructing my own version of it. It would be awesome to get an official LEGO version too, but sadly I suspect not. Here's hoping!

7 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Fan Vote: Help Celebrate 150 BrickHeadz!

The following candidates are...

1. Minecraft
  2. Star Wars
  3. Lilo & Stitch
  4. Jaws

Ironically, Jaws is banned from LEGO Ideas for violence!

What are your thoughts, guys?

This feels like the most random Fan Vote ever. Seriously?!?! Jaws?!?!?! LEGO is contradicting themselves here :wacko:. If they don't allow Jaws on LEGO Ideas because of "violence", then why should they make a Brickheadz based off it? :facepalm: 

On top of that, Jaws isn't the type of franchise to make merchandise off of, so LEGO choosing Jaws for a potential Brickheadz set is a really strange choice... The only potential reason that I can think of why they chose it is because Funko Pops, their competitor, is also doing it. 

As for the other candidates, they just feel like they were chosen at random. I am not going to vote for either of them. 

28 minutes ago, Lego David said:

This feels like the most random Fan Vote ever. Seriously?!?! Jaws?!?!?! LEGO is contradicting themselves here :wacko:. If they don't allow Jaws on LEGO Ideas because of "violence", then why should they make a Brickheadz based off it? :facepalm: 

On top of that, Jaws isn't the type of franchise to make merchandise off of, so LEGO choosing Jaws for a potential Brickheadz set is a really strange choice... The only potential reason that I can think of why they chose it is because Funko Pops, their competitor, is also doing it. 

As for the other candidates, they just feel like they were chosen at random. I am not going to vote for either of them. 

Yeah it’s all a bit odd and random. You’re right about Jaws even though it’s been referenced before (the SHARK poster in the Stranger Things set).

You’re probably right about Funko, as well as Jaws, recall they also made a Sharknado fig with a limited edition “blood” version too.

As for the vote, I felt that same way initially but in the end just went with SW and specified General Grievous for the hell of it. 

Edited by Lucarex

@Lego David - If Jaws would be considered as violent, then Stranger Things and Frankenstein would be too. TLG is clearly changing their minds here...

Edited by JintaiZ

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

Well, did anyone read this in the LEGO Ideas Guidelines?

IMG_0225

Edited by MatthewRC

16 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Ironically, Jaws is banned from LEGO Ideas for violence!

What are your thoughts, guys?

New sub-theme, Brickheads 18+. Hypocrisy problem solved.

Anyway Sw is going to win so there is no risk of controversy.

13 hours ago, Lego David said:

4 hours ago, astral brick said:

New sub-theme, Brickheads 18+. Hypocrisy problem solved.

Anyway Sw is going to win so there is no risk of controversy.

As far as I remember, 75936 Jurassic Park: T. rex Rampage got away with depicting a bloody severed arm in one of the Jurassic Park entrance gate's rooms.

279.jpg

Everyone assumes there is no difference between the old Saturn V 21309 set and the new 92176 because the piece count did not change and the pics look the same, but aside from the different box sizes, the new set actually includes a design fix which was admitted by the designer Carl Merriam as a "mistake" that was forgotten. In the new version a 2x4 dbg plate was changed to a 2x4 Technic plate for the lunar lander bottom. This fix makes sure the small black booster stays stuck on the module when taking it off the moon surface (lbg 2x2 tile round with stud) because the Technic holes have tighter grip that the anti-studs. This is the only difference I found when comparing the instructions other than some element number changes for identical parts.
Here is the difference (left old, right new):
rE7OmfM.png
IhAdbTS.png

Edited by R0Sch

On 11/30/2020 at 6:18 PM, R0Sch said:

Everyone assumes there is no difference between the old Saturn V 21309 set and the new 92176 because the piece count did not change and the pics look the same, but aside from the different box sizes, the new set actually includes a design fix which was admitted by the designer Carl Merriam as a "mistake" that was forgotten. In the new version a 2x4 dbg plate was changed to a 2x4 Technic plate for the lunar lander bottom. This fix makes sure the small black booster stays stuck on the module when taking it off the moon surface (lbg 2x2 tile round with stud) because the Technic holes have tighter grip that the anti-studs. This is the only difference I found when comparing the instructions other than some element number changes for identical parts.
Here is the difference (left old, right new):

Not everyone. I already mentioned there was a change in step 306 a month ago, on this very thread!

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/94814-lego-ideas-discussion/&page=197&tab=comments#comment-3314964

Edited by MAB

Any news on when we can expect details on the next Ideas set? I’m very much looking forward to The Blacksmith House and am assuming a January 1st release date based on their two month timeline.