I know this has been discussed to death already but still.... US $299.99 is DE 216.30€ and not DE 299.99€

Would this set be around 230€... It would land on my shelf.

However... for now, I'll keep it parked@lego and wait for a good discount.

Anyway, the design is very nice and I like the revisit LEGO did to this set.

I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't any PFs, considering what's possible (i.e. 8043), but such is life. It's an impressive model and I'm sure that I'll be getting it at some point when it's on sale! Apart from the tracks it should be an interesting build :classic:

I know this has been discussed to death already but still.... US $299.99 is DE 216.30€ and not DE 299.99€

Would this set be around 230€... It would land on my shelf.

However... for now, I'll keep it parked@lego and wait for a good discount.

Anyway, the design is very nice and I like the revisit LEGO did to this set.

Yes, but your statement remains correct. It seemingly cannot be stressed often enough. And yes, i entirely share your sentiment on the price tag.

Regarding the design itself, it is likeable. I see great improvement in build and funcionality alike. Leaving nostalgia aside, this one is way better than the previous blocky iteration. Nevertheless, i can understand every owner of the old one to pass this as the sandcrawler isn't the most important top SW item one is supposed to have. Still, design, build and minifigure composition of the new set make the old one look a little odd.

Comparing the set size to the designer's very self, this set really makes for a highly and eye-opening object to exhibit on a shelf or in a glass cabinet. Loving civilian sets, i will lure for a serious discount and maybe got for it then. At RRP (Germany), there is no way i would ever buy it.

It's a huge shame that there's no Beru minifigure. I suppose we can hope for a Lars homestead set to be released eventually, but I have my doubts seeing as this set already features nearly all of the minifigs that that set would. Seemed like such a natural opportunity to include a never-before-made minifigure. Still a Day 1 buy for me, but I'm just a tad annoyed by that oversight.

Edited by The_Chosen_1

This is leaps and bounds better than this... They're not even in the same league...

Well of course you are comparing to a set nearly 10 years old, any re-release is bound to be an improvement over the old one.

We should be judging this latest effort against what it is replicating, that being this 13004869065_89a4abfb96.jpg

and this 13004869165_74f52fecbe.jpg

The proportions and shape of the new SC looks fine, what looks off to me is the aesthetic treatment to the surface. seeing all the exposed studs and randomly placed smooth plates is an eyesore and the overall finish comes across as a first time MOC. To me a brick built SC would have been a better result though I suspect the designers decided to take the easy route by using plates to overcome the complicated surface angles. Its for that reason I have also attached the CUSSOO SC because in my opinion that SC is 99.9% as good as a LEGO built SC is ever going to get and the new SC falls flat on its face in comparison especially in the surface finish. So despite the old set 10144 being less accurate in overall shape, to me the finish is more accurate and pleasing than the one we will be getting this year.

The minifigure lineup is exactly what you would expect as a bare minimum based on the movie scene and overall quite unimaginative. Obviously we are getting Jawas and other than Uncle Owen and the 'unique' droids, the rest are forgettable. As irrelevant as Aunt Beru is to the scene, including her would have given a little spice to that minifigure lineup and for those counting on Tuskens and Banthas, all I can say is 'I told you so'.

Regardless of those criticisms I will be picking one up and maybe two if they go on sale, can't wait :wub:

Wow. What an amazing set. But it's waaay too much at UK prices. £199.99 maybe, just, but not £249.99.

Even I can't justify that, and it is one of favourite things in the whole of SW (don't know why, it just has been ever since I saw it in the film when I was tiny). I wonder how well this will sell in the UK.

It will retail for 2990 SEK in Sweden which is 468 USD / 338 EUR :P

If it wasn't for ebay and bricklink I wouldn't buy a lot of Lego, that's for sure.

Edit: it might actually follow the Danish pricing and be 2790 SEK. Still way over 400 USD.

Edited by bjorn77

Hi

thats a slap in the face for anybody who stated there HAVE to be a Lars homestead or something. Even the Tusken many people wished are not there. Its JUST the SC with alomost the same fig set as the original set had.

I like the shape and size and i never ever expected something similar or even close to see as the MB UCS that "won" Cuusoo. THAT thing is for freaks!

Where the Ewok Village is a set bought for the figs the SC is not. Its maybe a brown parts pack too - an expensive one.

While i am living in Germany i think i have to pass on this. We never get discounted D2C sets, or just a handfull at 30% off that are sold in minutes...

I like it and would be happy to have this, but on the other side its a huge brown teapot for 300€. I will save this up for the rest of OT sets this year ;)

Dino

dont know if I will buy it, will try to rebuild mb sandcrawler..and why are us prices always lower than europeans?

and no motorized things :-(

Edited by BibFortuna

The outer appearance looks great. Much better than the original. Except the 1x2 trans yellow plates are a cheap cop out for actual windows. Should be easy to mod though

A little disappointed with the interior...the technic skeleton is too prominent. I feel they should have done away with that in favor of a really detailed inside.

I'll still probably pick it up at my local lego store day one

I'm impressed by the interior......I guess this is the new UCS......the Disney way ! :laugh:

Again, it's the minifigs that are the best things in this set.....pity I don't SW any more. :blush:

Terrible. Total rip off. At least include some sleeping quarters or something, maybe just a general hangout area. Its supposed to be a home on wheels. What about the homestead? $300 dollars is outrageous.

Edited by Rob1321

Agree with Brickmamba.

Good improvement over the last Lego Sandcrawler, but disappointing compared with the CUSSOO one.

Star-Wars-Lego-Sandcrawler

House-of-plates design doesn't look like an adult collector model. Not as aesthetically pleasing or as sturdy.

For a set that's advertised as UCS (and at that price point), Lego needs to be delivering brick-built designs and not house-of-plates.

This is a set clearly aimed for kids, not afols. It's meant to be played with, not to be put on display. The plates design makes it look like it's made of random junk. Like a favela ghetto house, or something from Mad Max. I'm just slightly worried about how the two latest UCS sets have been play sets. I hope it's not the end of advanced, detailed looking models. It will be interesting to see what follows next.

To be fair the Sand Crawler was never the most attractive vehicle, and they've probably done the best they could within the number of parts assigned to the designers. I guess the minfig range is ok if you are into jawas and/or droids.

I'm not.

Given they want US customers to pay $299 I can only assume this is going to be well over $400 in Aussie dollars.

A definite miss for me.

This is a set clearly aimed for kids, not afols. It's meant to be played with, not to be put on display. The plates design makes it look like it's made of random junk. Like a favela ghetto house, or something from Mad Max. I'm just slightly worried about how the two latest UCS sets have been play sets. I hope it's not the end of advanced, detailed looking models. It will be interesting to see what follows next.

It's hard to see a kid just stroll into a shop and drop 299 on a LEGO set, but in saying that theres enough play features incorporated that suggests the SC is not exclusive to just AFOLs. Its not the UCS type of set we have been accustomed to in the past, it seems LEGO is moving this particular UCS out of that 'exclusive' club to appeal/cover more of the market. So we end up with a UCS/Playset hybrid.

Personally I would have been more than happy to pay 100 more for a no nonsense SC that looked more like the CUSSOO version with PF and just a couple of Jawas thrown in for novelty, but i can't speak for everyone, it is what it is.

While the new one is of course more detailed and has better figures, I still sort of prefer the old one due to it's more solid brick nature compared to the tons of plates in the new one...

This model is UCS only on the box.

The way the Sandcrawler is designed is very far from the UCS style.

It is just a big playset, nothing more.

It's hard to see a kid just stroll into a shop and drop 299 on a LEGO set

What Lego understand is that many fans of the original trilogy are now parents and buying sets like this for their children while still secretly (or not so secretly) wanting it for themselves.

Amazing set - I feel privileged to be able to add it to my collection.

People moaning about the definition of UCS suddenly makes lego look very nerdy - please...try and maintain your self respect, if not for yourselves but the rest of us?

Under £0.10 per brick so the price is good to excellent.

Amazing set - I feel privileged to be able to add it to my collection.

People moaning about the definition of UCS suddenly makes lego look very nerdy - please...try and maintain your self respect, if not for yourselves but the rest of us?

Under £0.10 per brick so the price is good to excellent.

If you're an adult and buy Lego for hundreds of dollars, I'd say you're a nerd no matter what. And if you actually PLAY with the lego, then there's no doubt. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm not ashamed of my Lego habit (even though my wife does her best to make a point of what a geek I am). But personally, I am more into the actual building process than the playing.

This thing... is a beauty. I'm not going to buy it so I can get one of the other D2C sets out this year, but wow. This Sandcrawler is so much better than the almost decade old version. I would have liked a Lars homestead, a nameplate and an Aunt Beru minifigure to justify the price, but you get what you get.