Hi again, i got some free time to upgrade the axle, about the wheels, it is supposed to use these http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=3739c01#T=C https://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=2903c01#T=C, however, it could use these http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?id=47727#T=C with some modifications because the tires are too wide (at least you use the smaller ones or 3rd party narrower ones); i made the axle to fit for an small unimog, like a 401 or 411, but i think that this same axle could work, for example, for a G63 6x6 or a G500, i also tried to put steering and suspension on it, my work so far:

640x473.jpg

640x473.jpg

And the updated LDD file: http://bricksafe.com/files/imanol/mini-portal-hub-axle/front%20drivetrain%2005-24-16.lxf

Now a new axle, this time, for Pinzgauer-like vehicle, it is based on my previous small axle but with small modifications and with independent movement, it uses the same steering principle as ZBLJ tatra´s transmission, it is a WIP now but i will see if i can complete it and put a better suspension system:

640x473.jpg

640x473.jpg

The LDD file: http://bricksafe.com/files/imanol/mini-portal-hub-axle/suspension%2005-25-16.lxf

Has anyone been successful with a swing-arm type suspension, similar to VW Bug or Porsche 356/912? I have seen a few rough implementations around and am working on one of my own, but thought I'd come to the mountain (metaphorically speaking) and see if it's been tinkered with...

It's been done before, but not in the way you're talking about. Most Lego Tatras have swing arm suspension, but for a truck. But, it would probably be the simplest form of independant suspension you can have, and should be very simple to implement.

Thought I'd throw this in its from my Mercedes truck of the future comp. Could do with more tweaking as I rush built it once but it works nonetheless. Its designed to have fake disk brakes.

26983705640_d9c0f896a5.jpg

Ldd file is on my bricksafe folder here

Great topic but... everything you build is based on cv/u-joints... anything steerable driven with knob gears...?

Great topic but... everything you build is based on cv/u-joints... anything steerable driven with knob gears...?

I took the same question in another topic as a challenge and made a front axles concept with knob gears. I thought it would be nice to post about it here too.

I tried to make something sturdy with substantial ground clearance. The wheel hubs are supported above and beneath the horizontal knob gear. The gear rack has been stabilized with an extra slider. Opposed to what the incorporated pivot offset would suggest, the gear rack side should be seen as the back side of the module. The small Ackermann effect is mainly the result of the gear rack moving along a straight line and two tie rods (composed from pin-axle connectors) linking the gear rack to the pivot points. The overall Ackermann effect is quite small, although it still suprised me after building this concept. You should be able to tweak the Ackermann effect by changing the pivot points or the points where the tie rods connect to the gear rack, but the options are limited in this compact setup with 6 knob gears eating up a lot of space :wink:. The upper input axle is for drive and the lower input axle is for steering. It would probably have been more convenient if these operated the other way arround.

I don't have the knob gears, so I built this concept using 12 tooth bevel gears instead of knob gears, which also works just fine.

800x450.jpg?c=1800x450.jpg?a=1800x450.jpg?a=1800x450.jpg?a=1800x450.jpg?b=1

This concept has been inspired by the only image that is still alive on this MOCpage.

LXF-file here.

Edited by Didumos69

A 19-stud rear axle with independent suspension and differential lock (the latter by Sariel). Haven't tried it out yet but it feels pretty solid.

axle01.jpg

axle02.jpg

axle03.jpg

axle05.jpg

axle04.jpg

The second independent suspension looks great, could be useful for a SUV moc.

A very basic mod to the steering rack and hubs gives the setup Ackermann geometry; the trade-off is a limited steering angle. I do think, though, that the structure can be reworked to accommodate the former without incurring the latter.

Does anybody mind having very simple and compact designs in this thread as well? I think this thread is missing the very nice 5-width (or 7-width if you include the wheels) steering design by @laix that was originally used in the Mini Mobile Crane MOC from 2012:

steering_1_small.jpg

That's a very useful design for mini/micro scale, and I was happy to discover it.

See laix's folder on Brickshelf for details.

Hello.

I want to build a Supercar. Till now i just build Trial Trucks and other Suv´s.

Now my Question.

Has anybody an Idea how i can use These parts:

LT Suspension

Exactly. Do you know some ldd files or something like that for an example?

Take a look at 42000 or 8461's instructions, they are used for F1 style cars with pushrod suspension.

Thanks. But These are way too wide. I want to use them for a supercar.

Then I'd recommend using/taking a look at 42039's suspension setup.

Thanks. I looked at the pdf from the Lego Support. I like it. I´ll build it in.

First off: Excuse me for my bad english. 70% is from Google translator :)

Hello Guys. Me Again :)

I am building / trying to build :D a Man TGS 6x6 and have a few Problems.

1st Problem: I have some Problems putting the Servo onto the Front Axle. Does somebody know a good solution to build in the Servo on the front axle without loosing much space?

2nd Problem: The rear axle has many gears and i fear that if i connect the 1st rear axle with the 2nd rear axle the gears may snap and the 2nd rear axle will be very weak.

Here´s the ldd file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/45c0st5chmtnkmj/Man%206x6.lxf?dl=0

Hope you Guys have some great Solutions :)

Thanks

1st Problem: I have some Problems putting the Servo onto the Front Axle. Does somebody know a good solution to build in the Servo on the front axle without loosing much space?

2nd Problem: The rear axle has many gears and i fear that if i connect the 1st rear axle with the 2nd rear axle the gears may snap and the 2nd rear axle will be very weak.

Hope you Guys have some great Solutions :)

Thanks

I opened your file, and I have a few questions:

-Do you need the portal axles? Without them you can lower the axles and there will be more space for whatever you want to put on top .

- Why no diffs? The differentials will make easier to steer it, and the building will be more reliable, without snapping gears.

I am modifiying it right now, with diffs and portals , but I don't see why you want them

Edited by LXF

Hi :)

Thanks for your quick answer :)

To be honest i dont understand what u mean with "lower the axle"

But to the second question i dont use diffs because i want to drive in Terrain :)

Thanks for your effort.

I opened your file, and I have a few questions:

-Do you need the portal axles? Without them you can lower the axles and there will be more space for whatever you want to put on top .

- Why no diffs? The differentials will make easier to steer it, and the building will be more reliable, without snapping gears.

I am modifiying it right now, with diffs and portals , but I don't see why you want them

Edited by KikoTube

Hi :)

Thanks for your quick answer :)

To be honest i dont understand what u mean with "lower the axle"

But to the second question i dont use diffs because i want to drive in Terrain :)

Thanks for your effort.

Lower the axle - move the axle down a bit

The diffs aren't that bad , many offroad MOCs have them

Now I understand why you want to put portals on it, to increase the clearance , am I right?