I've been eyeing such set for a while, but for the content, I can't justify the price tag. My son and I are very much into motors and else, but this set includes only one L motor and one battery box (who needs more?)

So, if you have such set, is it really worth it? Are you happy with your purchase, or got bored of it quickly?

Edit: I finally managed to get two sets (and I was pondering getting only one) ... for the basic crane then thinking one day opening the 2nd box and building the ultimate version. It'll be a while though as time is a precious commodity lately.

Edited by DrJB

I have it..but it is up the road in my other collection. :blush:

It really lacks another stage to the boom,I also think that Jurgens mod improves the playability.

902241_435343909911211_5353361_o_zpsbe7b71c3.jpg

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I've changed some it it round in LDD so it has a diff on all wheels and independent suspension, also parts/assemblies not needed are removed or simplified.

now there is a lot of room to add more mechanisms, this model is quite complicated so I say its worth the money.

its also the largest technic set so they clearly have made a good effort designing it, especially the boom.

Edited by SNIPE

I have it..but it is up the road in my other collection. :blush:

It really lacks another stage to the boom,I also think that Jurgens mod improves the playability.

902241_435343909911211_5353361_o_zpsbe7b71c3.jpg

Is it a coincidence that you shot your 42009 right next to that weapon of mass destruction?

By the way, I bought mine for 150 euros (Netherlands) and for that price you definitely get good value. S@H price of 200 euros seems a bit steep, but then again prices seem to be going up a bit since last year…

I guess we haven't had any new set in the US for a while, and I'm considering buying that because there is nothing else ... but really, for $220+Tax, I think it's way overpriced.

Really, it isn't too bad value for money, it's PPP is 5.7p (8.4c) which is better than other models like 8258, which like this one, only had one motor and BB (and switch). I've found it fun to play with, and am currently toying with how to modify it, as said, a slot of empty space can be made with room for more functions, like RC mods. I think it was a good buy.

I've been putting it together with my 6 year old nephew, and we both like it a lot. I had to use a couple of the panels on a moc I built, so we are currently stuck mid-way through book 6 until I order a couple more panels.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of thought went into it, especially the stabilizer design. However, I don't think the gearbox and associated gearing is that efficient of a design (certain functions are geared down, then up again), and the superstructure doesn't look that good.

I think whether or not the set is worth it depends on what you want to do with the set. If you want to build it and play with it, then I think some of the functions are pretty slow. My nephew still loves it though, and he's pretty mesmerized by the stabilizers. As a parts pack, the set is excellent, and even better than the 8258 Crane Truck.

Just my $.02.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

It was a must have for me because I missed out on grabbing 8421. I added extra parts to enhance the look of the set and built the extended boom by Chrismoi59 and will add r/c in the future.

It doesn't have the playability of a loader, an excavator or a set like 9398 for obvious reasons. Cranes are slow moving and this set is no exception but it looks really nice on display.

12330875925_f610cf60fb_c.jpg

Edited by therealjustin

I have this set as well (thanks to a very perceptive brother), and I would definitely say get it. Even if you don't build it, it is an excellent parts pack, along with a few uncommon/unique pieces such as the long rope, the small short ropes with 1x1x1 stud, 32L axle, and the red sliding 8 tooth gears. If you do build, it is fairly involved, but enjoyable. Its performance is not overwhelming, but it's a very good set for what it is. By the way, the B model is also fantastic, which is something to consider these days.

Brick_Sticker

I just decided to get this, but only because i had $265 in VIP Credit & Gift Cards from my birthday & christmas. Other than the 41999 and the 42000, this was the only appealing 2013 model. Now that i have seen the upcoming Loader & Bulldozer, i am pretty glad i got this crane. If anything, it makes for a load of yellow MoC parts.

I like the set. Had it built normal and now have the Ultimate version built. Next mod is the extended boom.

I have this set and I was rather satisfied. The build itself was a lot of fun and lasting. The set is good value for the money. ~2600 parts and I paid 160€ on Amazon for it. So this is really a good value in my opinion.

Also, the B-model is really cool and so you get basically 4 models from 1 set. And I think this set has nearly everything to build cool C-models as wel. I wonder why none appeared yet.

Was thinking of getting a second set so that i could make the b model. Don't want to take apart the Ultimate one as i would probably never build it up again :P

was a must buy for me because i have the old one (8421) if you have the old one you will how interesting a crane like this is to build. also most of the pictures you see dont really do the set justice... it looks far better in real life. maybe if you go out and find one already made in a shop for a display it might help you decide whether its worth its price tag

was a must buy for me because i have the old one (8421) if you have the old one you will how interesting a crane like this is to build. also most of the pictures you see dont really do the set justice... it looks far better in real life. maybe if you go out and find one already made in a shop for a display it might help you decide whether its worth its price tag

That's a bit my dilemma as well, I do have the 8421 and another older crane. So far not sure what the 42009 brings to the table, except for the new parts. I guess you get to a point where you have so many sets and the 'parts' do not appeal as much. I know I'll regret it few years down the road if I don't get it ... most likely will wait for a TRU sale and grab one ...

Edited by DrJB

I have it and while the A-model isn't that much fun to play with stock, it is great for parts. One day i plan on building the B-model. Hopefully it'll be more fun to play with. After that it will probably be parted out like most of my other sets.

The only reason i got this set because i had the opportunity to get it really cheap.. (€100,79 true story!!!)

Building it was fun, Lot of hours of building!

But for some reason it doesn't make me as happy as the 42025 does. Maybe i am not that into cranes, loaders and shovels..

I think it's worth it. I had great fun building it with my son and we were both suitably impressed with the end result. Admittedly, he's not played with as much as some of the other models we've done, but it looks very nice on display.

I've been waiting for it to be cheap on amazon or similar, but it hasn't really gone down at all. Might have to wait until 42030 comes out.

42009 have only been on the market for a little more than 6 months. I would think it's too soon to expect a price drop.