88 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Wonderful!

It's a colorful explosion, the likes of which are rarely seen in a LEGO set. I'm talking about…

11675298875_d9e70370c5_b.jpg

Set Title: Cloud Cuckoo Palace

Set #: 70803

Theme: The LEGO Movie

Pieces: 197

Minifigures: 3 + two creatures

Year of Release: 2014

Price at Release: USD 20

Just browse the pictures? Flickr set

INTRODUCTION

This set always looked like a must-buy. Crazy bright colors, crazy cute colors, and the main characters (with Wyldstyle's hair, unlike the Melting Room) in a cheap set? I'm sold. So how does it stack up in person? Let's find out!

BOX

Not even Friends sets have this many colors. This box is a burst of bright, cheerfulness. It might hurt some people's eyes, but it makes mine very happy.

11675328135_f1bf1dc4e3_b.jpg

The back of the box doesn't show much of anything different from the front. You either want the pretty colors or you don't.

11675576313_d03a1e90df_b.jpg

If you couldn't tell, the set comes with Unikitty, Emmet, Wyldstyle, and a suave-looking robot named Executron. His name sounds like an old Space theme.

11675325365_637b79c21f_b.jpg

CONTENTS

Oh my, the colors! Already this looks like a lot of fun.

11675320155_9ac55136e0_b.jpg

The front of the instructions show more of the beautiful bright art for this set.

11676105466_2e9cf8c6fa_b.jpg

My instructions had a printing error in them - bunch of parts on top of the pink arch disappear for a while, and then come back. Not a huge issue, but it doesn't happen that often that instructions have errors so it's always interesting to note.

11675559353_40a9869d03_b.jpg

MINIFIGURES

To some the minifigures in this set might not seem all that exciting, since it's just Emmet and Wyldstyle again and they come in other sets. This is the cheapest set in which to get Wyldstyle's hair (not counting the collectible series), so that's cool, and Emmet has an exclusive head that I'll discuss more below. The Executron looks pretty cool and snappy too.

11675549053_5245c14f1f_b.jpg

This Emmet has his own scared expression, and Wyldstyle has her reverse angry face. I really wish Wyldstyle had also gotten a different pair of expressions in at least one set, but oh well. Hers are good as they are anyway.

11675308705_65ede98295_b.jpg

In this set Emmet has some type of tracking device on his leg symbolized by a red stud. Wyldstyle's hood is nice as always. Exectron sadly has no back printing, but he's in a simple suit and doesn't really need any.

11675550333_6bbb2afbb6_b.jpg

Here's this Emmet on the left compared with the Emmet that comes in all the other sets. The happy expression in this set is so much better. I really don't like the eyebrows on the other happy face, and this one just seems so much more pleasant.

11676107356_3f6c9f1e90_b.jpg

I much prefer the scared Cloud Cuckoo variant as well. The more common one is silly and all, but the Cloud Cuckoo one feels much less annoying and seems reasonable. I could see using it in a variety of MOCs, whereas the regular one will almost always make a MOC funny.

11675542463_faef0fe64f_b.jpg

Unikitty and the snail are excellent, cute creatures. Unikitty gives off very whacky vibes, and the snail is just plain cute.

11675535353_e4c465289e_b.jpg

Unikitty is basically a 2D creature so she looks the same from the other side just without a face. The snail gets some green stripes on his back, making his look more interesting.

11676078846_6b9c761638_b.jpg

EXTRA PARTS

The extra parts are great in this set, since there are a bunch of small bits in unusual colors, and having more of those never hurts! You even get an extra printed eye-piece.

11675295695_0f4fd69aa1_b.jpg

SET

First up is this little catapult to launch pretty transluscent flowers. It makes use of a yellow life preserve (actually with the same construction as the "scope" on the Flying Flusher plane), and fires pretty well.

11675676354_cb65b4b34b_b.jpg

Here's the palace! Sure it's really just a wall, but what a wonderful wall it is. It kind of looks like if LEGO made a CandyLand theme, this would be a set from it. The "cloud" base looks convincing as clouds, and even though there are a lot of different colors mashed together, it seems to work.

11675300335_506ddda499_b.jpg

Often I might critisize a set for using too many little bits, but I love the use of 1x1 round tiles here. The plethora of colors makes it look like beautifully colored stone-work.

11675670784_9453fa7d1b_b.jpg

The big sun looks nice too, as do the printed dishes and flowers. Really, everything is quite on-point to create a beautiful model.

11675538653_49976a5891_b.jpg

The one "play feature" is that you can turn the gears to make two things spin at once. How much fun is that? Not really all that much I'd say, but it doesn't intrude on the look of the model so why not have it.

11675669194_14fc60f569_b.jpg

COMPLETE SET and CONCLUSION

11675324085_69f21e9e54_b.jpg

The Cloud Cuckoo Palace is an unusual and striking set. The model is really quite lovely, and the parts selection is tremendous for anybody that likes fun colors. The minifigures included are nice too, especially the Emmet with better Emmet face and complete Wyldstyle with hair and hoodie neck-piece in a cheap set. I'd recommend you pick this one up. It's worth it!

I agree with your comments about the Emmet faces. I prefer this one overall. So which one is more common? I have the melting room but no other sets with Emmet (though I know he is in many other sets). The CMF looks like a completely different face too.

This looks like something straight of a Kirby game. A lot of those parts would be useful for recreating parts of the Wonka factory, too.

Is Unikitty's tail a new part? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Looks like a great piece for making Lego versions of a certain herd of little ponies.

So which one is more common? I have the melting room but no other sets with Emmet (though I know he is in many other sets). The CMF looks like a completely different face too.

The Cloud Cuckoo one only comes in this set. The one in Melting Room also comes in Getaway Glider, Bad Cop's Pursuit, Super Cycle Chase, and Lord Business' Evil Lair. You're right that the CMF has a completely different set of faces as well.

Is Unikitty's tail a new part? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Looks like a great piece for making Lego versions of a certain herd of little ponies.

Yep, it's a new part. Should be useful for that purpose indeed :laugh:

Nice review. This set is sure to appeal to girls!

Girls? Girls!? I love this set! :grin:

Thanks for the review Clone O'Patra, even though I was already going to buy the set. :wink:

Thanks for the excellent review!

If I bought one LM set, this would be it. The model is really cute and well made and it's a cheap way to get regular clothes Wyldstyle. And as a brony, I can't help but love Unikitty. :grin:

Oddly enough the set I'm looking forward to the most. Going to get this alongside the ice cream truck and the super cycle.

Pink sets here I come!

This set looks great! Love the path, it looks like it came right out of a MOC!

Executron reminds me of Agent Smith from the Matrix - especially with those sunglasses!

exactly what i taught, especially after seeing it again yesterday

What a fantastic little set! Lego has honestly gone all out on this theme and I love it, so much creativity and the general impression it makes is overwhwelmingly positive. The fact that this set appeals to both genders of all ages is just another merit of how innovative this set is, brilliant stuff.

So I just bought and built this set...

Officially my favorite Lego set of all time. For really no special reason aside from the fact that it makes me happy.

And Unikitty. I love Unikitty.

I picked this up the other day. Love the colors and I do have to say that Unikitty is awesome. its cute and weird at the same time, which I love.

Great set, so many colors! The number of pastel colors is great, I can't wait to use the pink 1x1 round tiles in a MOC!

So I just bought and built this set...

Officially my favorite Lego set of all time. For really no special reason aside from the fact that it makes me happy.

And Unikitty. I love Unikitty.

That has to be the best reason to love Lego, ever.

I wasn't keen on any Lego Movie sets, till I saw the Ice Cream machine, and now this! I've been thinking about doing an Adventure Time MOC with my family - and this is perfect for the candy kingdom. Math!

Great review! I loved this set. So many colourful pieces!! :laugh:

Edited by Jared

Daughter got this today. This is indeed a very nice set. The colour + minifig selection is very well done.

And about Mr.Smith from the Matrix: exactly my idea. And to add: the movie, from what the trailers give away, remind me of the Matrix as well.

@LukeWarmTea,

This is my (very loose) interpretation of Candy Kingdom, I was totally inspired by the icecream truck and by the cloud cuckoo sets to make this. I also have the ice cream truck but don't really know how to integrate it into the MOC. Ideas?

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=90591

WP_20140109_011%201.jpg?psid=1

Sorry I missed your comment! I think that's a really fun looking MOC, as to how to integrate the ice cream truck, I say look to the cone. The cone is where it's at. ;)

Fantastic review! I got this set for my birthday (which was Saturday) and it lives up to my expectations of being cute and fun to look at.

I just put together this set last night, and one thing that was missing from this review but would have been nice to see is the picture showing the new/rare parts. I was surprised to find the 1x2 white palisade bricks, which haven't been in a set in many years. These will be great for many MOC builders, too bad there are only six in this set. Let's hope this is a sign we'll see them again soon in another set or two. After having seen the movie... I feel an urge to pick up another 2-3 copies of this set to add more executrons, make Cloud Cuckoo land bigger, and get more of those white palisde bricks!

I must say, if there was an award for LEGO set you most wish were made out of candy... this is probably the winner hands down. It's hard to look at this set without getting a toothache, but I love it!