Tacker

Technic 2014 Discussion and Speculation

I'm not criticizing the functionality, I'm criticizing the looks. It just looks messy in my opinion, just like 42008. Oh well, to each their own :classic:

I had it in my mind to build a skip truck. It looks good, the blue parts are very welcome, but I would need to see more detailed images (and what other sets come out) before I could decide to buy or not. That looks good for a first set for someone. I guess a mix of simple and more complex sets. I love lego no matter how simple.

H

Is the cab orange or yellow? looks orange-y to me for sure!

It's definitely yellow. Just compare the color of the cab to the color of the PF battery box switch (which is orange).

I'm not criticizing the functionality, I'm criticizing the looks. It just looks messy in my opinion, just like 42008. Oh well, to each their own :classic:

I'm not too fond of it's appearance either. The cab seems a bit simple.

On the other hand, the color scheme is okay and it will have some nice functions. Maybe it's not too bad.

Just looking to this picture, the set looks pretty good to me. :)

It's growing on me :wink:

Maybe I should reserve judgment until we get better, high-res pictures. Now, where are the other models?! :laugh:

It just looks messy in my opinion, just like 42008.

IMO the 42008's looks are great, only tarnished by the fat front tyres, the green 1x3 thin beams sprinkled everywhere, the "missing" micro panels on the side slopes, and the lack of extra black cylinder panels underneath those on the sides.

As for the 42024, I don't appreciate the colour scheme: three primary colours is too BOLOCs for me. Then again, I must see and feel more of it to have a consolidated opinion.

In my opinion, it looks very cute :blush:

You fancy the truck?

That is the dutch for you. :tongue:

I look forward to getting this set.

42024 Container Truck - This is the highlight of the sets (possibly not including the special set which is normally added later) It's a European style Skip Truck, 6 wheels, similar scale (wheel size) to the flatbed truck of the other year. It has a Yellow Cab, Red lifting arms and comes with a Blue Skip. Likely also a £49.99 set. Power functions can be added but are not included. It's functions appear to be steering, and loading the skip. I guess you will be able to tip the skip as well. No sign of an engine. Looks like the truck below, but imagine with a yellow cab and the blue bits are red.

My description from 2 months ago to the day was fairly accurate I think, I'm just amazed how well the images stayed protected this year from the public.

Edited by paul_delahaye

Whoever recently complained that there is no uniform scale across technic sets may have his wish granted. I see more and more of those wheels on recent sets ... and on very similar-sized trucks. I'll mention 8041-1 , 8052-1 , 8071-1 , 8109-1 , 8292-1 . IN fact those same wheels are on the EV3 sets as well ... I'd call this set a 'medium' size at best ... and possibly there is a good market justification for it, but really ... I'm happier with more 'innovations' as when TLG introduced the telehandler 8295-1, wheel loader 8265-1 and off-roader 8297-1 in the same year. All those 3 were quite substantial and would have qualified for the 'flagship' title in their own right ... Looks like time to quit the hobby for few years, and come back later ...

Edit: ... Nah, I'll stick around for the NEW COLORS

Edited by DrJB

That's kind of silly, isn't it. 1H sets are always smaller, and the cargo plane is also coming.

Well what this truck and 42008 should look like then? Please provide "not messy" version I want to see it so bad

I could use those new blue 5x11 panels right now. Glad they found an excuse to put some blue in the model. You might argue it is too many colors, but for a parts pack it makes the set more valuable.

Well guys, in order to not offend anyone this time i'm currently practicing how to sound joyful and happy when the first pictures start appearing.

"YEY, yet more un lifelike gearboxes and LAs, that's exciting isn't it!"

"Hooray, look at all that colour vomit! I've always said everything needs to look like a sick pizza to counter the fact that 1 part per step maybe 1 part too many for the target demographic!"

Yeah, i'm working on it, pwomise :laugh:

Still working on it! :innocent: Edited by allanp

I could use those new blue 5x11 panels right now. Glad they found an excuse to put some blue in the model. You might argue it is too many colors, but for a parts pack it makes the set more valuable.

I agree, Blue looks very sharp in MOCs, so it will be nice to have some more colors.

I am happy with the size, and I like that the PF is an add on. To many of the Technic sets are creeping too high in cost, partly because of PF. While the truck looks a little clunky for me (mostly in the back), many models looked better in person, than in TLG photos (8081, 8110, 8069, and even 9398 come to mind).

Edited by Thirdwigg

Well what this truck and 42008 should look like then? Please provide "not messy" version I want to see it so bad

What a completely unnecessary post. I'm not allowed to post my opinion? Get real.

Edited by jantjeuh

Challenge accepted for a TechLUG contest.

897600PersonnagescelebresTrollfaceChallengeaccepted203303png.jpg

The way 42008 is built is a nightmare.

What a completely unnecessary post. I'm not allowed to post my opinion? Get real.

Well it's obvious that if you find the looks of these 2 great models "messy" then you must have a vision of how they should look like?

I just want to see it from your point of view. I can see what these models look like and I don't think that they are bad, messy, inconsistent or anything like that. But I can't see your examples of how it should be. So I cannot compare "your version vs TLG's" to see where did they "fail"

I personally find 42008 very solid and compact construction, and I Iike how it is designed and build

Edited by Omikron

Does any one know roughly when the 1st half 2014 set get released?

January rings a bell...

They should be showing up in December.

Hopefully some more blue parts and panels will show up in the other sets. :classic:

Well it's obvious that if you find the looks of these 2 great models "messy" then you must have a vision of how they should look like?

I might have an answer to this, keep the truck, change the cab like 8109 has !

Ah, ok. I misunderstood the tone of your post, nevermind.

As what 42008 'should look like'.. I think a better cab design, like 8109's, would go a long way. I also dislike the uniform green colour, makes it look a bit drab and boring. I would definitely liven it up with off-colour striping/better stickers/something like that. I would also move the second pair of wheels forward, and shorten the midsection. Finally, I would either make the set wholly pneumatic or fully operated by actuators, not a mishmash of both. That might improve things somewhat in my perspective.

We're getting a bit off-topic here though.

Edited by jantjeuh