The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

3 minutes ago, Kallego said:

My expectations were to high, no modular in the cny line. But it's a nice restaurant building with mod potential.

http://brckmrg.de/80113-1

I’m just looking at the pictures on Reddit now and wondering what I’d need to do to turn it into a modular!

I was in the Leicester Square store today and got to see the museum built - in real life I really like the colours! Also, I hadn’t clocked the skylight on the little office.

522FAB7A-3A46-4098-BD5C-3ED8505C161C.jpeg

B7455C89-5A32-46C6-B7B4-03D6DA181ED0.jpeg

10 hours ago, Westbrick said:

I’m just looking at the pictures on Reddit now and wondering what I’d need to do to turn it into a modular!

I’m pretty sure people will but 2 sets and combine them to make a modular.

On 11/4/2023 at 8:19 AM, cebelicamya said:

I really prefer the look of museum without the extras.
The picture is from Tiago Catarino review on youtube.  

K9qA9PR.jpg

Looks like the Haunted House got upgrade to a Haunted Mansion.

I’m glad to see some people who saw Museum in real life change thier minds on the olive green color. I do like  that color scheme! 

@henrysunset, thanks for post! The museum sandwiched between police station and boutique hotel do look GREAT! It’s not that bad at all. 

1 hour ago, badbob001 said:

Looks like the Haunted House got upgrade to a Haunted Mansion.

I preer a 16x32 “Haunted Townhouse” modular, lol. But Halloween is over…

A couple of reflections on my part:

-I think as some have pointed, it would probably have been better if the window frames would have also been white - it would help break up the olive green.

-Some museums have their biggest pieces as the 'center piece'. I wonder if Lego considered having the dinosaur as you enter the building.

-It would have been great if they had made the dome in trans-clear, similar to the German Reichstag.

-I really think they should have placed some windows on the sides of the building.

-The fences at the front are nice but I think it took a lot of the piece count.

On 11/4/2023 at 5:19 AM, cebelicamya said:

I really prefer the look of museum without the extras.
The picture is from Tiago Catarino review on youtube.  

K9qA9PR.jpg

All fine and well, but I think you should have mentioned you photoshopped out the white and grey parting line between the first and second floors. Are the parts all available to even do that IRL without major modifications? That said, I do like that look without the parting line, since I've always felt the strong color line has been one of the things about the modulars that I've felt should be used only occasionally, and not on every building. Personally, I'd think about getting rid of the brown line at the center of the windows on the 2nd floor too.

33 minutes ago, hikouki said:

-Some museums have their biggest pieces as the 'center piece'. I wonder if Lego considered having the dinosaur as you enter the building.

-I really think they should have placed some windows on the sides of the building.

What some museums are you talking about? Are you talking about MOC museums?

Well….Here is a thing - Museum is not a corner building, it is a straight one. Why should it have windows for both sides fi you put other modular buildings next to it? In my personal opinion, it would be great if museum has DOUBLE corners - it could hae windows on both sides but not on the back - makes it a nice end block. 

8 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Well….Here is a thing - Museum is not a corner building, it is a straight one. Why should it have windows for both sides fi you put other modular buildings next to it? In my personal opinion, it would be great if museum has DOUBLE corners - it could hae windows on both sides but not on the back - makes it a nice end block. 

There are issues with a double corner that I think might lead Lego to avoid a building like that. For one, some modular owners (myself included, currently) only have space to display the sets in a single "row" instead of a full city block—in which case a double corner couldn't really fit neatly "next to" anything else. Also, even for people who do have the space, a double corner would basically force the "depth" of a block to only be a certain length, since one side of the block would be a fixed length, and the opposite side couldn't vary without the introduction of an inverted corner.

That said, I do think making this modular a double corner could be a feasible and potentially good-looking modification! You'd probably want to shift the building so that it's centered on a pair of 32x32 baseplates instead of one and a half. Doing that would allow an extra eight studs on either side of the building, plenty of space for sidewalks. Depending on whether you want it to actually adjoin the neighboring buildings, you could also add an extra three studs of depth at the ends—a slight increase in interior space, though at the expense of some of the few details at the back like the downspout and rear windows. An alternate option that might allow more details to be preserved and for even more space to the sides would be to add a full 16x32 baseplate "addition" on either side—doing so would give you extra space if you wanted to extend each "wing" of the modular or add planters like the ones in front, though if you did that it might risk throwing off the proportions of the base model.

41 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Some real-life museums.

16 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

There are issues with a double corner that I think might lead Lego to avoid a building like that. For one, some modular owners (myself included, currently) only have space to display the sets in a single "row" instead of a full city block—in which case a double corner couldn't really fit neatly "next to" anything else. Also, even for people who do have the space, a double corner would basically force the "depth" of a block to only be a certain length, since one side of the block would be a fixed length, and the opposite side couldn't vary without the introduction of an inverted corner.

That said, I do think making this modular a double corner could be a feasible and potentially good-looking modification! You'd probably want to shift the building so that it's centered on a pair of 32x32 baseplates instead of one and a half. Doing that would allow an extra eight studs on either side of the building, plenty of space for sidewalks. Depending on whether you want it to actually adjoin the neighboring buildings, you could also add an extra three studs of depth at the ends—a slight increase in interior space, though at the expense of some of the few details at the back like the downspout and rear windows. An alternate option that might allow more details to be preserved and for even more space to the sides would be to add a full 16x32 baseplate "addition" on either side—doing so would give you extra space if you wanted to extend each "wing" of the modular or add planters like the ones in front, though if you did that it might risk throwing off the proportions of the base model.

I think a more revolutionary idea was including the option for a double corner. This modular is really best displayed as a standalone.

I don't like the idea of displaying modulars in a block at home. I don't have a museum area, too. LOL

2 minutes ago, hikouki said:

Some real-life museums.

Well, you had me confsued thinking you were taking about lego museums, but I got you now.

16 hours ago, henrysunset said:

I had the distinct pleasure of building this set early through the LEGO Fan Media program. I love the Modular series and am familiar with the entire series - and have built the 6 most recent sets.  Since I have the set-in hand, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the set!

There has been a lot of discussion about the decision to release in December instead of January.  My two theories are that:
1: They had a different AFOL set planned for this holiday, but something went wrong.
2: It is an intentional strategic change to capture more sales at the holidays by making the modular into a family tradition. (especially with changing global economic outlook.)

8Y1A8462-2-1200x300.jpg

The banner and instruction book are marked (c) 2024, indicating that the decision to change the release date was probably late in the year.

A really great DETAILED review. Thanks. Your explanation to why the Museum was moved up to December makes sense. Which also makes it for sure that the Orien Express was pushed back for a January for some reason.

22 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

4 minutes ago, hikouki said:

I think a more revolutionary idea was including the option for a double corner. This modular is really best displayed as a standalone.

I feel like a double-corner buidling could be more interesting to form some blocks as a stand-alone building. Like… 

Jazz Club - Boutique Hotel       Natural History Museum        Cafe Corner  - Bookshop

you have 3 blocks on a single shelf. It would be an interesting layout to crate streets.  

I’m up for inverted / L-shaped building too.  I have faith in modular dssigners. 

I'll probaby build it centered on two full baseplates. It doesn't look that good right next to other modulars and needs some space.

20 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

All fine and well, but I think you should have mentioned you photoshopped out the white and grey parting line between the first and second floors. Are the parts all available to even do that IRL without major modifications? That said, I do like that look without the parting line, since I've always felt the strong color line has been one of the things about the modulars that I've felt should be used only occasionally, and not on every building. Personally, I'd think about getting rid of the brown line at the center of the windows on the 2nd floor too.

Well, actually former Lego designer Tiago Catarino photoshopped it, i just screenshot it from his youtube review, because i also think that it looks better without white and tan lines in between. On 1:3 mark he also suggests conecting 1st floor and ground floor windows with some tan bricks, which is also a nice idea. I agree with hikouki that, modular would probably look even better if the window frames were in white. I would also change candle pieces and put them in white, basically I would prefer the whole window area in white. It would look nicer with white central pillars, more cohesive.

t8GjF6I.jpg

20 hours ago, hikouki said:

A couple of reflections on my part:

-I think as some have pointed, it would probably have been better if the window frames would have also been white - it would help break up the olive green. 

39 minutes ago, cebelicamya said:

Well, actually former Lego designer Tiago Catarino photoshopped it, i just screenshot it from his youtube review, because i also think that it looks better without white and tan lines in between. On 1:3 mark he also suggests conecting 1st floor and ground floor windows with some tan bricks, which is also a nice idea. I agree with hikouki that, modular would probably look even better if the window frames were in white. I would also change candle pieces and put them in white, basically I would prefer the whole window area in white. It would look nicer with white central pillars, more cohesive.

t8GjF6I.jpg

OK, cool. I wasn't trying to accuse or anything, just wanted people to realize that the picture had been modified and that it might not be possible to get those results without major modifications. I hadn't seen that video, so thanks for posting it.!

3 hours ago, Silverhurst said:

OK, cool. I wasn't trying to accuse or anything, just wanted people to realize that the picture had been modified and that it might not be possible to get those results without major modifications. I hadn't seen that video, so thanks for posting it.!

:thumbup: yes i know u weren't. But you are right, i should have mentioned it was photoshopped.

Edited by cebelicamya

I was thinking the same too. Right in the center with only one view from the second floor instead of the two open spaces to look down into the first floor. 

On 11/6/2023 at 3:23 PM, BrickFit26 said:

A really great DETAILED review. Thanks. Your explanation to why the Museum was moved up to December makes sense. Which also makes it for sure that the Orien Express was pushed back for a January for some reason.

The odd thing is that we have an AFOL modular set releasing a few days beforehand as the Avengers Tower, so it's not like the 18+ line isn't getting something new at the same time. And again, A-Tower is a modular as well, which means this is the closest that two modulars have released to each other (to my knowledge).

17 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

I was thinking the same too. Right in the center with only one view from the second floor instead of the two open spaces to look down into the first floor. 

Having the brachiosaurus in the center would probably mean having to shove the reception/gift shop area off to one of the sides, though, which feels a bit odd to me when those are some of the first places a visitor would go after entering or before leaving. Also, don't forget, if you only have one atrium instead of two, you'd have to squeeze both the brachiosaurus AND the stairwell into that space, whereas in the current set there is a separate atrium for each.

I think a "big exhibit in the center" type layout works better for museums with a floor plan that extends further front-to-back and not just side-to-side, so that even if the main exhibit is visible from the door, there is still an "anteroom" of sorts for the reception desk which you have to pass through before entering the main exhibit spaces to see their contents up close. I could see that sort of thing working if you modded the set to use a 48x48 baseplate instead a 32x32 baseplate and a 16x32 baseplate (or two 32x32 baseplates, as some people considering a "double corner" version have suggested). But an expansion like that would obviously be a lot more work than one that mostly moves the contents of the current set around while keeping the building itself close to the same overall size.

In any case, I'm definitely very excited to see what sort of mods people come up with for this set! After all, even if you choose to keep the floor plan mostly "as-is", the fact that the floor area is so spacious and most of the exhibits are removable makes the interior VERY customization-friendly!

@Aanchiryou're right. But i can still see it kinds of work. Or maybe even swap out the brachiosaurus with the new T Rex fossil head set xoming out and have thay rifht in the center.

@NoOneOfImportanceexactly. I think thats more than enough for to keep AFOLs happy.