The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Now that the theme is known, what I’m eager to see are the dimensions and the color scheme;

first: will it be very tall or very large ? In older cities, the tallest building is often a church or the town hall; then I assume that it shouldn’t be taller than TH. For the number of pieces, it has to be on two plates. With AS, the mini buildings with their different shapes and colors made the whole block appear not too massive. Also, the fountain in the middle made a recess on the building (flower and photo studio behind it), so the façade of the whole ensemble wasn’t all gathered near the main sidewalk, it made the area more open.
second: will it be monochromatic or will the aisles be of a different color ? If it’s too much of a same hue, it will dwarf all the buildings around it. The shape of the whole thing will also play a major role of the curb appeal it will produce.
I guess I will have some major city rearrangements to do next January, but hey, it’s Lego ! So everything is easy and possible !

3 hours ago, Lion King said:

I think Police Station does have a new arch piece?

It was technically "new" but shared with other themes released at the same time. A common, versatile mold being "borrowed" from other themes that have budgeted for it is possible, but a bespoke mold being developed specifically FOR the modular is far less likely.

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It was technically "new" but shared with other themes released at the same time. A common, versatile mold being "borrowed" from other themes that have budgeted for it is possible, but a bespoke mold being developed specifically FOR the modular is far less likely.

Well but why? I mean, what makes a modular that different from other Lego sets? Also, wasn´t the same said about ideas in the past and they also got new parts then? ;).

17 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Well but why? I mean, what makes a modular that different from other Lego sets? Also, wasn´t the same said about ideas in the past and they also got new parts then? ;).

It's mostly a matter of the philosophy of the modular series. They focus on clever building techniques using existing parts, rather than needing new "bespoke" parts designed specifically for them. And unlike a licensed Ideas or Icons set, there's no "requirement" that they accurately represent an existing intellectual property, so there's no situations where a brand-new part would be the only satisfactory option.

I do wonder if this building will be modernistic or somewhat more 'classic' in style.

Also, I could see how the brachiosaurus will span multiple floors - it may take up more of the piece count, but at the same time allow the building itself to have less, with the open 'floors'. I could see many exhibits being micro builds (e.g., space ship), and prints on tiles.

I am quite excited by this release, but at the same time somewhat disappointed that it is not a school, hospital, or theater.

On 10/8/2023 at 12:21 PM, jonwil said:

A building with a large amount of sand yellow (aka dark tan) as the primary color would be great and would certainly fit with the style of any number of museum buildings around the world.

Also remember that modulars don't normally get new molds (the double bass in the jazz club was an exception because it wasn't technically a "new mold" since it was created already for canceled Vidiyo product)

Afaik, that policy has been abandoned for some time. I think there was an interview with Jamie Berard some time back where he said that, while that strict limitation had been true for the first few years, by now the modulars have such a standing that they could also get new moulds/pieces. The Jazz Club also had that new piece that fits under the 1x2x6 arch in the pizza oven, for example.

Though, from the outside it's propably hard to tell what set an element really was designed for, as usually a new element gets used in many sets upon release.

1 hour ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

Afaik, that policy has been abandoned for some time. I think there was an interview with Jamie Berard some time back where he said that, while that strict limitation had been true for the first few years, by now the modulars have such a standing that they could also get new moulds/pieces. The Jazz Club also had that new piece that fits under the 1x2x6 arch in the pizza oven, for example.

Though, from the outside it's propably hard to tell what set an element really was designed for, as usually a new element gets used in many sets upon release.

Yeah. And I think they just start to use new colors in existing pieces that other sets don’t have? I can’t remember. Which new colors for those existing parts… Guess I will dive back into researching. 

I’m asking for recommendation: what kind of lighting kit you have used to light up your modular city? 

I may sound picky but I am looking for some simple and not too much wired. I don’t want to modify the bricks.

The new LEGO Animal Crossing sets have been officially revealed and their release date is March 2024. Brick_Clicker in one of his videos did say that the modular most likely be revealed this month. Anybody else think it's possible?

47 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

The new LEGO Animal Crossing sets have been officially revealed and their release date is March 2024. Brick_Clicker in one of his videos did say that the modular most likely be revealed this month. Anybody else think it's possible?

Well, i thik it’s more likely becuase it will be available on Oct 27 for pre-order as I heard.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:54 PM, Lion King said:

Yeah. And I think they just start to use new colors in existing pieces that other sets don’t have? I can’t remember. Which new colors for those existing parts… Guess I will dive back into researching. 

New colors of existing pieces in modular buildings isn't a new or recent thing—the Green Grocer (third ever modular building) had recolored parts that were new to it, such as the sand green 1 x 2 bricks with groove and 1 x 8 brick, both of which were new to that set (and only later used in one other set each, making them particularly rare).

6 hours ago, Lion King said:

Well, i thik it’s more likely becuase it will be available on Oct 27 for pre-order as I heard.

I hope it's true.

8 hours ago, Shiva said:

Ain't that earlier than usual?

Assembly Square had an even earlier October reveal. Everything else has typically been around early December. My guess is the earlier reveal for these extra-large modulars is meant to give people time to adjust to the additional cost.

Ginger Ninja, ahh, cheers.

AS price has gone up quite a bit. So this museum, might be around the same cost as AS is now.

“Update (12. October 2023, 09:51 a.m.): In the meantime, further information about the upcoming modular building has appeared. The usually well-informed Instagram channel from maxbautde tells us the first details about the rooms and the furnishings.

[…]

The new details from the rumor mill now confirm that the modular should have a base area of 48 by 32 knobs. It is also confirmed that a total of seven minifigures will be included in the LEGO Modular Building 2024. As a large exhibit, a Brachiosaurus skeleton is said to stand in the atrium. On the first floor there is probably a natural history exhibition, while on the floor above a collection of space and science artifacts can be admired. Some references to the LEGO story are also supposed to be housed here. Under the roof is the current information according to the office of the curator. The museum is also said to have roof windows, i.e. like many classic modulars, a skylight.”

From: https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-modular-building-2024-leak/

As expected, I’m not surprised about 48x32 baseplate. I have seen some modular fans wishing for a museum on 32x32 baseplate. The amount of pieces is too much for a single 32x32 baseplate, in my honest opinion… I welcome a 48x32-wide museum!

I'm more than ok with a museum but a 48x32 baseplate will seriously mess up my city layout.

On 10/11/2023 at 7:15 AM, Ginger Ninja said:

Assembly Square had an even earlier October reveal. Everything else has typically been around early December. My guess is the earlier reveal for these extra-large modulars is meant to give people time to adjust to the additional cost.

Yes and I also think it could have something to do with the avengers tower coming out soon , both expensive sets being released quite close together so people probably need to save up if they want both!

9 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

And now that the Avengers Tower has been leaked, I'm just waiting on the modular Museum pics soon.

Yes me too! If I don’t buy anymore sets for the next six months I at least want the tower and and the museum and I’ll be happy