The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Like has been said before, changing minifigs heads, if necessary, is very simple and cheap... i like to vary a lot with the minifigs in my modular street, although i keep it rather casual, so no figs with too excessive clothing or gear... so as long is i get new minifigs with my modular, it is okay. I can't believe that there are no other pictures leaking....the boxes and building instructions must almost be ready by now....a lot of  employees from the printers must have seen it....

Edited by LegoSjaak

3 hours ago, SwissBrick said:

Me too, I just spend all my creativity at work and when I do "Lego", I just enjoy the relaxing and meditative effect of building, being surprised by new techniques etc.. As for the colors and so on, everyone's opinion is legit and none should criticize others' opinions...  You're not alone :-) Sometimes there is traction about a city layout, sometimes not.. it was more the case 5-6 years ago, but nowadays there is much more traction on incredible MOCs, and there are plenty of them.. Not fond of the diner as it is today, but I already know I will have to get it. Cheers!

+ me makes three! You're both not alone!

#jesuishemlockfalls

Sooo ... if this is a genuine leak, why is the leaked image in this thread still not deleted? Merely an oversight?

The five sets that are just boxes of bricks just got leaked ALL come with classic smiley heads and a 60TH 2x4 Tile!  
Could be a extra reason for the smiley omission?

Edited by Ghostcat

I know there is the question regarding if it's a corner or not.  I'm trying to imagine how it would lock at the two pins/tech bricks to Assembly Square if those are open stairs we see for this Diner Modular.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Anyone think this infers it's a corner based on this detail?

Im guessing the pathway leading to the stairs is a brick and a tile high so it has the connectors built in.
So NO its not a corner

Edited by Ghostcat

12 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

The 100% no doubt in my mind is:

The 2018 modular will be a multi level building created from lego bricks; there will be a very detailed lower floor, likely mostly covered in tiles, with one or two upper floors that aren't as detailed. There will likely be between 1 and 10 minifigures total. The building will have some sort of theme, possibly more than one on the different floors.

Oh, now you really went out on a limb there, didn't you? Daredevil. :laugh:

Nice one!

8 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

This https://i.imgur.com/8JnoH3v.jpg looks strangely like a modular... 

By the way does anybody know how to do hidden text/ spoiler tags?? 

:sweet:

Press the eye icon in the menu bar of the text field.

It's to the left of the smiley icon.

Spoiler

Et voilà!

Edited by Withacee

7 hours ago, SFmuscle73 said:

I know there is the question regarding if it's a corner or not.  I'm trying to imagine how it would lock at the two pins/tech bricks to Assembly Square if those are open stairs we see for this Diner Modular.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Anyone think this infers it's a corner based on this detail?

I think it is a corner building but the corner is on the opposite side to the stairs which are to the rear of one side of the building, i think we are missing one whole side of the facade. 7 studs are missing from the leaked picture on the right side. How Curious. If you look at this from the perspective of brick bank ,we might not have seen one whole ground floor business like the Laundromat is to one side .

Maybe thats why it hasn't been removed as its definitely raised the hype level but not thrown the baby out with the bath water.

35 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

I think it is a corner building but the corner is on the opposite side to the stairs which are to the rear of one side of the building, i think we are missing one whole side of the facade. 7 studs are missing from the leaked picture on the right side. How Curious. If you look at this from the perspective of brick bank ,we might not have seen one whole ground floor business like the Laundromat is to one side .

Maybe thats why it hasn't been removed as its definitely raised the hype level but not thrown the baby out with the bath water.

Mmmm....nice thought!

Assuming the image is real then I'm hoping it's just an early preliminary image and that the final product will include minifigs with the classic smiley faces. If it does get released with the faces we see in the picture though, then I think I can justify the reason for them doing this.

When the modulars first started out the minifigs were never intended to be a major feature of the sets and I think they just used the classic faces to appeal to adults who remembered the faces like this from their childhoods.

As the sets have evolved over the years, the designers seem to have placed more and more emphasis on the idea of a "theme" or "subtle storyline" running within each model. Not so much with AS but definitely with DO and BB. 

When trying to create the suggestion of themes or stories in the sets it's much more effective if the minifigs can be brought to life with different faces giving them more character. It might look a little jarring next to previous models in the series but if the designers intend to continue this trend of running stories or play features in the sets then I think it was only a matter of time before they made this switch to the modern style faces.

2 hours ago, Wookiee said:

I think it is a corner building but the corner is on the opposite side to the stairs

I doubt it’s a corner building. We can already see about 24 studs worth of building, plus 6-8 studs for the stairs to the left. The only way they could make it a corner building would be if they were to add an extra 16x32 baseplate, but I’d be surprised if they were to do that 2 years running (given the necessary price increase), and if they was a proper corner on the opposite side then then why would they have shoe-horned in the slightly fake corner for the rounded edge into the alleyway?

Edited by DeanLearner
Spelling

27 minutes ago, DeanLearner said:

I doubt it’s a corner building. We can already see about 24 studs worth of building, plus 6-8 studs for the stairs to the left. The only way they could make it a corner building would be if they were to add an extra 16x32 baseplate, but I’d be surprised if they were to do that 2 years running (given the necessary price increase), and if they was a proper corner on the opposite side then then why would they have shoe-horned in the slightly fake corner for the rounded edge into the alleyway?

I agree, it can't be a corner building. It's hard to tell for certain but I think I can make out 28 studs wide which leaves 4 for the steps at the side, but either way there definitely wouldn't be enough room on a 32x32 base plate to include the steps on the left and an extra sidewalk along the right hand side of the building. 

I wonder what sort of detailing will be included on the wall next to the stairs? This building might look a lot better when the official images are released as there is still a lot left to be revealed. I must say I'm not very keen on the 4 windows next to the cream/tan section of wall. The brown meshed fencing pieces (not sure of the exact name) look a bit un-creative compared to windows on previous modulars.

There are 26 studs worth of width clearly visible. If you look at the curve on the right side of the building, my guess is that there should be another 2 studs of wall on the right side of the teal/blue pieces, which leaves 4 studs for the stairs on the left.

16 minutes ago, Rick said:

There are 26 studs worth of width clearly visible. If you look at the curve on the right side of the building, my guess is that there should be another 2 studs of wall on the right side of the teal/blue pieces, which leaves 4 studs for the stairs on the left.

You're right, it's definitely 26 wide.

2 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

s Assuming the image is real then I'm hoping it's just an early preliminary image and that the final product will include minifigs with the classic smiley faces. If it does get released with the faces we see in the picture though, then I think I can justify the reason for them doing this.

When the modulars first started out the minifigs were never intended to be a major feature of the sets and I think they just used the classic faces to appeal to adults who remembered the faces like this from their childhoods.

As the sets have evolved over the years, the designers seem to have placed more and more emphasis on the idea of a "theme" or "subtle storyline" running within each model. Not so much with AS but definitely with DO and BB. 

When trying to create the suggestion of themes or stories in the sets it's much more effective if the minifigs can be brought to life with different faces giving them more character. It might look a little jarring next to previous models in the series but if the designers intend to continue this trend of running stories or play features in the sets then I think it was only a matter of time before they made this switch to the modern style faces.

Beyond all that, I think there are more fans of the modular buildings today who have basically come to expect higher detail in modern sets. Post-90s kids who are finally old enough for Creator Expert, AFOLs who never had LEGO as kids but got into it through the collectible minifigures or through other Creator Expert sets or through buying sets for their kids, etc. For these TFOLs and AFOLs, the nostalgia for “blank slate” minifigs just isn’t as big a factor as wanting figs from other sets and themes to fit in on their modular street.

I remember after Assembly Square was announced seeing a lot of questions on sites like Facebook about why the figures were so plain compared to other sets. You know all the AFOLs who see stickers in Creator Expert or D2C sets as inexcusably cheap for what should be a premium product? That’s how generic smiley faces feel to many people who don’t have that nostalgia for them.

Well, another couple of days will reveal who's guessed right or wrong....

At least the speculation has been fun!

Why do we have to wait for the annoucement quite longly? Longer time than in 2014 for the Detective's Office. But don't forgot: the official press release of 10260 {Diner} is will be until 28/11!

Edited by Brick Lover

10 minutes ago, Brick Lover said:

Why do we have to wait for the annoucement quite longly? Longer time than in 2014 for the Detective's Office. But don't forgot: the official press release of 10260 {Diner} is will be until 28/11!

What do you mean with 'is will be until'? 
Will the announcement be on the 28th or do you mean somewhere between now and the 28th as maximum?
Regarding the Diner design. I actually like it quite a lot and I think it can be a great build to make with lots of fun. You will never fit everyone's taste and if you try that you will probably get some boring stuff. 
Hopefully the anouncement comes soon.

Just now, Brickolta said:

What do you mean with 'is will be until'? 
Will the announcement be on the 28th or do you mean somewhere between now and the 28th as maximum?

I meant the annoucement will be somewhere between now and the 28th as maximum.

4 minutes ago, Brick Lover said:

I meant the annoucement will be somewhere between now and the 28th as maximum.

I think it will be on the 23th or on the 27th Cyber Monday.

49 minutes ago, Brick Lover said:

I think it will be on the 23th or on the 27th Cyber Monday.

It has already been said here that it will be the 29th, but I am not sure if that has been confirmed.

Perhaps the only telling thing I might have seen in this that could possibly be stretched to imply a fake is the big honkin' gap between buildings this one leaves even when they're aligned and connected! The Parisian Restaurant comes close with its side stairs, but this one looks more separate. But of course, it's most likely stylistic, and probably looks better from another angle, so I'm still on the "real" side.

Just seen a new Lego Rebrick competition has just been launched, and the grand prize.... "THE NEXT CREATOR MODULAR due to be announced at a later date."

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/rebrick/contest-page/contests/expert-rebuilder

This 100% confirms that whether the diner is fake or not, there will definitely be a new modular set for January 2018 and it will be announced imminently.

35 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Just seen a new Lego Rebrick competition has just been launched, and the grand prize.... "THE NEXT CREATOR MODULAR due to be announced at a later date."

This 100% confirms that whether the diner is fake or not, there will definitely be a new modular set for January 2018 and it will be announced imminently.

Finally some confirmation about something, now eagerly awaiting the Grand reveal.

Thanks a lot for the info.

37 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

That is a very relaxing message...there will be a modular!! Yess!:sweet: