drdesignz

What do you think about flickr's new design?

Well, after reading everyone's reactions around the web I was expecting it to be awful, but after going and looking around at it I actually have to say I like it. Being able to look at more of an album at once is kind of cool, I think it looks nice. Plus, the new increased storage space is really welcome to me, so even if the layout change bothered me I imagine the massive amount of picture space we now get would be enough to make me happy.

Then again, I'm not one of those people who freaks out and screams (Or even notices, generally) changes to Facebook, so perhaps I'm a little too hard to phase in this regard.

Now all I have to do is make a cover photo for the top. A train, most likely.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the cover photo feature to work (the picture is selected properly, but I can't get the placement to work the way it should). Other than that, though, LOVING the new changes! :thumbup:

It more difficult to recognize some kind of structure now, less evident to get an overview :sceptic:

Still, personally I think it's too early to cast a judgement, maybe over some time people will say it's much better than before.

Either way, currently when I'm checking Flickr it seems to be flooded with pictures saying "Flickr is dead" or similar :wacko: .

Although the design may not be desirable, you can't argue with the amount of FREE space you now get.

I challenge someone to upload a terabyte of pics. You can't beat free storage.

I can't view as much at once as I could before, and I can't seem to get the option to change the size of the thumbnails to actually activate. It tells me they're resized, but the feed looks the exact same. I find the whole thing chaotic and weird. Are there still the little square notation boxes on pictures? Because I haven't seen any.

All my complaints are negated, however, by the fact that I don't, uh, actually have a flickr account. I just used it to view the LEGO pool to see MOCs or upcoming sets.

1Tb is great. Layout not so much. Buggy.

:classic:

Edited by robuko

1TB of storage is fantastic but seems to be one hell of a kick in the teeth for those who have forked out for a pro account!

Personally, I hate the new layout, there was nothing wrong with it the way it was. The new version just hangs when you search a word, prefered it when you could search through pages rather than a constant stream. Whenever I click to search friends photostreams it also comes up with an error message & won't load their page!

Don't like the massive pictures either, prefered that the way it was too.

Could've been a lot better! The new version as it is sucks!

It now crashes my iPad safari browser from time to time. Who beta tested it?

The layout frustrates me a bit, to be honest. Part of what I liked about Flickr was how clean the interface was, and now it doesn't have that advantage to nearly the same extent. With that said, I'm sure I'll get used to it, and the other upgrades (like the ability for non-pro accounts to upload full-resolution pictures) will probably help to make up for any temporary inconvenience.

re: layout - Having recently uploaded and started using FlickStacker on my iPad the new web-interface doesn't seem so radical or awful.

re: Pro Account - I guess I will enjoy my "ad-free" experience for a while but I think I am unlikely to pay double the amount next year just to get rid of ads.

I hate the new "interface" . Impossible to resize favorites , my albums don't appear at the side of my photostreams......so many things I don't appreciate

I took a pro account 1 or 2 month ago because I have many photos (Lego and others stuffs to come); Now I see 1Tera for free......

So I pay to have stats, folders and no adds :classic:

Tell me what's the utility of a pro account now?

I have till august to decide if I want to change for a free account......(If I change, they 'll gave my money back of course)

Edited by Fabz

When I saw for the first time the new layout it took me a while to figure out how it worked; the terabyte of space is a great thing (I agree with Big Cam), on the other I prefer, for now, the old layout, because I believe it was easier to find various things. :look:

Even though it is a bit harsh to people that bought Pro for the extra space I love it. It is more modern. And 500000+ photos for free :cry_happy: .

I find it just difficult to navigate. I welcome the extra storage space, but I dont like when any website randomly decides to change the entire layout and interface.

On one hand, I don't like image intensive interface that, as you might expect, takes longer to load. (But I know I have a slower Internet service.) I also don't like that I have to scroll down farther to get to all the info I'd normally see next to a picture that's now below the huge black space that the picture is displayed on top of. (But I get that it's better presentation for photographers.)

On the other hand, as Cam said, I can't complain about all the extra space, and since I'm not even that active a member of the flickr community, the changes don't really bug me. If I use flickr, it's just as a host for images on EB, and I don't care if it's harder to find all the other options as long as I can upload a picture and embed it here.

I'm a bit lost I'll have to play with it soon. But we can't complain about what they give us, extra spaces are always welcome!

I can't find how to leave a group on Flickr (I just want to leave this one group), does anyone know if it was even possible before the new design ?

Edited by Sebeus I

I can't find how to leave a group on Flickr (I just want to leave this one group), does anyone know if it was even possible before the new design ?

Scroll down to the bottom of the Additional Information section and there's a red link that says "Leave group name?"

post-11254-0-30166300-1369337371_thumb.png

After you click that there's a confirmation screen:

post-11254-0-47481300-1369337424_thumb.png

I don't really like it. It takes longer to load, there is much less of an overview, and it's just not as convenient to use as it used to be. The new free space is nice of course, but a little annoying for me since I payed for a two-year pro account less than a year ago which is pretty much pointless now. And why can you only use recent uploads as your cover photo? :sceptic:

That said, I think many people are overreacting and should give the new layout a chance. I for one will keep using it as before and try to get used to it.