Oh, for crying out loud! I can only afford a limited amount of Lego in one time period :cry_sad:

I'm thinking I'll have to pass over the Grand Prix Racer - a shame, considering all the white parts in that set - and save up for the mobile crane. Maybe I should rob a bank.

The same feeling.

The biggest nightmare: sell at ebay auction contest winning crawler....to buy new sets

Looks like a 20t gear to me, but I don't think it does anything in that model. There is a 16t gear behind it that meshes with the 16t gear next to it. I'm not sure what the purpose of the 20t gear is, but my guess is that it is a hand crank used to program the position of the motor behind it. I don't know anything about Mindstorms though, so I could be totally off.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

is this a 20 tooth double bevel gear or something new?

23410_10151223620086637_1835904596_n_zps6bdc86ee.jpg

IMO 20 tooth bevel

Pneum and LA in the same set ?

What a very very big error of taste...

How hell can a designer make such a newbie mistake ?

Edited by Anio

Why mistake? Maybe we can see this as a model that is meant to bring peace between the two warring factions of LA-ists and Pneumaticists :laugh:

Why mistake? Maybe we can see this as a model that is meant to bring peace between the two warring factions of LA-ists and Pneumaticists :laugh:

Totally agree with this post. With all the above mentioned functions (LAs and pneumatic together in one set for proper functions) the service truck can be an icon among the mid sized Technic sets. It seems this year we have 3 flagships (with "The Boss"). What an epic year. Thank you LEGO. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Pneum and LA in the same set ?

What a very very big error of taste...

newbie mistake?

LAs are good in holding the position and they are used on functions which must hold the position over a long time. so this was a good decission. and pneumatics are good to bring power to places which are hard to reach.

sorry, if this was a newbie, it was a intelligent newbie and this newbie had made a very good decission.

have a nice day

Edited by efferman

That's really insulting, I think you retract that :thumbdown:

Where are you guys getting these pics from!?. I can't seem to find any on Flickr.

Great to see a big 4-way gearbox on the 42009 new mobile crane. Is there a second 2-way gearbox on the other side?

I always felt the 8421 Mobile Crane was overrated, but a lot of people don't know it's faults before they buy it which has resulted in such a high aftermarket price. It's a very fun build, and great to look at, but underwhelming in functionality to me. The 8480 Space Shuttle is the kind of set that feels truly "finished". I'd love to replace the V6 engine with a 6-way gearbox from 8448/8466 to try to link everything in.

42008 Service Truck looks fantastic in green. Red has become my least favourite TECHNIC colour, enough to turn me completely off some sets like the 9398 Crawler. I really wish LEGO would try some new shades, like maroon or rust instead of the bright red they always use.

Oh yes, those new sets are great... I personally don't like yellow machines, but the mobile crane cuold change my opinion... The service truck is a real beauty... For me a must-have.

Any pictures of the monster truck?

Pat

niger.jpg

just shown this picture to my credit card so it knows, what is to do in august ;-)

Well, for the supercars we had already an all-time-king with the 8880: a set which defines and caburizes the summit of a certain technic category.

Now it seems same is going on for mobile cranes...

Both of these are incredible in my opinion.

The crane for function, the service truck for looks. Finances permitting, I think a trip to the shops will be in order :-)

Jennifer

newbie mistake?

LAs are good in holding the position and they are used on functions which must hold the position over a long time. so this was a good decission. and pneumatics are good to bring power to places which are hard to reach.

sorry, if this was a newbie, it was a intelligent newbie and this newbie had made a very good decission.

have a nice day

Well, I am not an expert in engines, but I guess that V engines, L engines and flat engine all have their advantages and drawbacks.

Do you imagine a vehicule like a hurricane using 2 different kinds of engine ?

I think it is important to use the same technology for the same features in a vehicle. It is a matter of "consistency".

Wow, very impressive!

On the "LEGO Events" Facebook page, someone said this:

"Actual piece count is 2606 parts, based on info at the event. The arm extends to 70 cm, and has articulated steering."

2606 parts?!!! *oh2*

Seriously?! Someone already mentioned this would be the biggest Technic set ever, but 2606 pieces.....that's outrageous!! :sweet::thumbup:

After seeing pictures of the service truck I think I like it even more than the mobile crane! I don't even have space for all the stuff I keep built as it is let alone for all the new stuff I must have.

I am thinking the crane to be $300 CDN at least :/

Edited by jadedomg

Pic of Service Truck:

towtruck_zps1a8b5e3b.jpg

Nice to see all the green parts!

Interesting mix of pneumatics and linear actuators. Looks like the rear stabilizers have two mLAs, the boom has a single LA, and the unfold mechanism uses a small pneumatic cylinder.

There are obviously two pneumatic valves. Any ideas what the second valve does? [EDIT: Looks like the upper section of the boom with the hoist is telescopic and is moved in/out by a pneumatic cylinder]

It's nice to see a small pneumatic cylinder, but I'm not sure I like a mix of pneumatics and linear actuators. I do like the two steering axles.

Definitely a must buy for me!

Ok I admit I got a big shock seeing that la in the service truck, but it is pretty cool how they mix pneumatics with la,s this time so I can live with it, I would have like pneumatic s to lift the main arm but ill get over it,

The service truck looks great, am I rite saying we have one small and one large cylinder? What's does the large one do?

It looks like a lot of functions in a medium size set :)

I think it is important to use the same technology for the same features in a vehicle. It is a matter of "consistency".

Where does that line of logic come from?

The service truck looks great, am I rite saying we have one small and one large cylinder? What's does the large one do?

it extends the winch boom ontop of the recovery arm

I think this section can be opened... wonder what could be inside :sceptic:

ngwlj4.jpg

It's most likely where you seperate the chassis from the superstructure, like in 8421. Now that I think of it, That doesn't work very good with a geared slew... so i fear that may be 100% manual.

Edited by Pauger

Looks great!

I would imagine the four functions of the superstructure gearbox are

1. Winch

2. Elevate boom

3. Extend boom

4. Direct power through the turntable to the chassis gearbox, which will

-- 1. Extend outriggers

-- 2. Deploy outriggers

Also, doesn't it look like they alterede the boom of the crane compared to the preliminary, fuzzy picture? I seem to remember the sides of it covered by yellow 5x11 panels, rather than the new style 3x11 with the pin holes. :sceptic:

EDIT

This looks like a perfect crane to make fully RC, as it seems to have lot of room for some fancy solutions! :grin:

Edited by D3K

I wonder whether the towing fork rotates this time. It doesn't look like it on the picture, but maybe they locked it in place to make it look tidy for the fair?

And I think it is important to use the right tool for the job, whatever that may be.