Did anyone notice that The LEGO Movie is showing now at the top corner?

-Sci

You mean on the marquee, in the upper right corner of the image? Yes! Before I saw the actual sticker I was hoping it would be another sticker on the sheet, and that you could peel it off and put it on the building, but it's just part of the larger picture and not a sticker of its own. You could cut it out with scissors, but because of how it is in the photo it's at an angle, and it wouldn't fit squarely on the marquee on the model.

I bought mine a few months ago but havent built it yet since there are other things in the queue ahead of it. I wonder if they'd let me return it and then buy another one so I could get the sticker...

It's a real shame if TLG doesn't give those of us who already have it some way to get the sticker. Let us send in the proof of purchase from the instruction manual or something and send it to us. I'll even include a SASE.

Does this set still follow the tradition where the second floor can be cloned and used for the 3+ floor? Having the roof-stairs right over the 1st-floor stairs seems to support this. Has anyone tried this?

I've seen mods that move or remove the roof-stairs, which obviously breaks the ability to clone the floors up. Stairs do take up a lot of interior space. Would you trade the floor-cloning design for more detailed interiors?

Does this set still follow the tradition where the second floor can be cloned and used for the 3+ floor? Having the roof-stairs right over the 1st-floor stairs seems to support this. Has anyone tried this?

I've seen mods that move or remove the roof-stairs, which obviously breaks the ability to clone the floors up. Stairs do take up a lot of interior space. Would you trade the floor-cloning design for more detailed interiors?

Yes, it does follow that tradition. It's a great feature in this case as it means you can add more screens.

This has probably been asked, but are the modular buildings intended to hearken to a certain style of architecture or certain cities? Obviously there seems to be a lot of European influence, but some have a bit of an American (San Fran) vibe as well.

I think they are inspired by different locations. From my observation:

Parisian Restaurant: definitely inspired by Paris and meant to be there

Palace Cinema: the inspiration is the Chinese Theater in Hollywood

Fire Brigade: appears to an old American firehouse

Town Hall: would fit in many places in Europe or America

Pet Shop: Looks European to me, although could be in a place like San Francisco

Grand Emporium: reminds me of Britain, but could be found in lots of places

Green Grocer: Looks like it is from Europe

Market Street: Looks Dutch

Cafe Corner: European?

Thanks! Which ultimately just gets to one point - these are awesome regardless, and in the LEGO universe, we can make towns that represent wherever we like. I actually sold off my entire modular collection (I had them all up through the Pet Shop), but the new Parisian Restaurant has made me decide to get them again. Lucky that so many, save for the Green Grocer and Cafe Corner, are still available in retail.

For the promotional LEGO Movie poster sticker, do they provide you with one sticker or two? I believe for the in-box posters, two are provided so you can stick them to both sides of the window. If they only give you one, do they expect you to stick it over one side of an existing sticker?

And regarding the 'unfinished' backsides of the roof, do you think this was just laziness / cost-cutting or was the roof designed to be a facade? I don't believe the Hollywood Chinese Theatre has a facade roof but perhaps there are other real-world examples that do. Are they any examples of someone trying to 'finish' the roof?

Edited by badbob001

This has probably been asked, but are the modular buildings intended to hearken to a certain style of architecture or certain cities? Obviously there seems to be a lot of European influence, but some have a bit of an American (San Fran) vibe as well.

Probably the two most city or region specific are the Palace Cinema and the Fire Brigade. The Palace Cinema is very much based on that strange California "Faux" architecture that gave us things such as the Chinese Theater. (Whereas a more common American Theater would probably be more Art Deco). The Fire Brigade just screams US Industrial Northeast from early to mid 20th century. Pretty much any area from New England and New York across the rust belt to Cincinnati or Chicago.

For the others I always thought the Town Hall looks a bit more American than European, as I tend to picture the Euro ones having a bit more in the way of ornate decorations nailed on. But that may just be my misperceptions. Pet Shop and Green Grocer feel more European than North American, but not outrageously so. Grand emporium feels a little more London than US, in sort of the opposite of the Town Hall, it has a bit more ornate decoration going on than you typically see in similar US examples. But as in all things there are exceptions, and it works fine mentally on either side of the big pond. Cafe corner always makes me think of Amsterdam. But it works fine for say New York (just add a layer of grimy yuch.)

The Parisian Restaurant is a great example of how we should be careful reading too much into locations for these things. Yeah it is obviously meant to represent a "Parisian Restaurant", and really carries off the look and feel. But I think the designer was actually inspired by a restaurant in New England.

Now what we really need is an example or two of building styles from South America or the Far East. (Hmmm? Hong Kong strip club would probably be vetoed on brand fit, wouldn't it?)

For the promotional LEGO Movie poster sticker, do they provide you with one sticker or two? I believe for the in-box posters, two are provided so you can stick them to both sides of the window. If they only give you one, do they expect you to stick it over one side of an existing sticker?

And regarding the 'unfinished' backsides of the roof, do you think this was just laziness / cost-cutting or was the roof designed to be a facade? I don't believe the Hollywood Chinese Theatre has a facade roof but perhaps there are other real-world examples that do. Are they any examples of someone trying to 'finish' the roof?

I got the sticker with the Palace Cinema purchase. It is indeed for just one side. For now, the sticker remains untouched. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to Bricklink another window and just use the sticker for the outside.

Ok, you have to get this set! This is definetly my favorite modular, even if it lacks in the creative techniques we're used to seeing in these. I'll admit I was reluctant to buy this at first sight, too, but then I got it and I don't regret it one bit! The build was a long and fun adventure, too. Looks fabulous from a far away view looking right at the center :drool: ! You just have to get this!!!! :grin:

The Chinese Theater in Los Angeles is pretty much one of a kind. A lot of the older theaters still around in California are Art Deco, newer ones are the nondescript suburban stucco (or whatever) I've seen all across the country. I'd have to second the idea that San Francisco is certainly a city with enough diversity in architecture to contain all of these buildings...

I'm almost finished building this beauty (Christmas/Birthday present to myself), and I'm having tons of fun.

I don't really understand why it got criticized for lacking creative building techniques. Sure, maybe there weren't any new techniques used and all the tricks were well known to long-time builders, but it's still a really interesting and mostly non-repetitive build that to me is up to the standards I expect of a modular. Building Pet Shop and especially the Grand Emporium felt much more straight-forward...

I may or may not mod my Palace Cinema a little, though, the ground floor feels way to empty to me. It could use some seating opportunities for the moviegoers to hang out before the autitorium is opened, or maybe a small bathroom... :classic:

The auditorium itself could use some modding aswell, but I may leave it as it is as I kinda like it.

Got this for my birthday last Thursday & built it on Friday/Saturday. Wasn't a bad build at all, could've done with tiles on the baseplate inside the theatre/cinema though & still think the limo looks weird!

I only recently emerged from the Dark Ages and built the Palace Cinema.

What did everyone do with their spotlights and crowd control barriers?

I don't really like having them just randomly placed on either the sidewalk or "around" the cinema.

Did anyone do anything interesting with them? I was thinking that the spotlights could go on the roof? Did anyone do that with their spotlights?

I only recently emerged from the Dark Ages and built the Palace Cinema.

What did everyone do with their spotlights and crowd control barriers?

I don't really like having them just randomly placed on either the sidewalk or "around" the cinema.

Did anyone do anything interesting with them? I was thinking that the spotlights could go on the roof? Did anyone do that with their spotlights?

I just store these lights and barriers on the roof. ;)

I might MOC this set into the Palace Museum. I'd make a Johnny Thunder exhibit in the cinema section and add other historical items. :excited:

Hello, here is my theater. I changed the roof line, signage,  and the overall height of the building. here are some older pics of the palace… workers are pouring the sidewalk and stuff...

47116642091_c7cd619e86_b.jpg

46202720225_6026212002_b.jpg

33241225988_9cce321def_b.jpg

47071236862_b6e2c1d7ef_b.jpg

So the roof top is a ninjago training school seemed fitting… I think I made that with two white mech ninjago sets, I need to finish/polish it so each person will have a locker with their color. and tile the floor of course.

33247984808_3caf556c1d_b.jpg

Edited by TinCan