laix

LEGO Technic Mini Mobile Crane MOC

After finishing my MOD of the LEGO Technic 9397 I wanted to add pneumatics to other sets. My choice was the LEGO Technic Mini Mobile Crane 8067. To make it more interesting I decided to use it's parts and make a MOC loosely based on the Liebherr LTM 1200 5.1.

And this is what I came out with.

ltm_1200_51_1_small.jpg

All functions are comparable to bigger scale models like e.g. the LEGO Technic 8460.

- 5 axles steering system actuated by a 20t, 12t gear reduction on the back

- four outriggers to stabilize the crane while lifting

- a rotating crane, mounted on the new turntable elements (99010, 99009)

- the crane is lifted pneumatically with a Pneumatic Cylinder (47224c01)

- the crane consists of two booms so it can extend

- a hook with rope

- dummy engine :wink:

The most difficult part was the steering system and it took several attempts to realize it. I got inspired by the LEGO Technic 9390 and developed the idea. This results in a modular system of small size. The turning radius is nearly 40 cm.

ltm_1200_51_3_small.jpg

Note: None of the axles meet in a pivot point which causes some problems (slipping wheels, vibrations), especially on the front axle. I made this compromise according to the small scale.

More detailed pictures of the steering mechanism to be found on Brickshelf.

The Boom is lifted by a Pneumatic Cylinder (47224c01). Two Small Pumps (x191c01) provide the air. I used a Technic, Shock Absorber 6.5L, Complete Assembly (Normal Spring) ( 731c05) to run the pumps manually. With an 1L stroke you have to push about 20 times to lift the heavy boom.

ltm_1200_51_5_small.jpg

The boom is extendable and uses Erik Leppen's design. It's really strong and fits the scale quite well.

ltm_1200_51_6_small.jpg

ltm_1200_51_7_small.jpg

More detailed pictures to be found on Brickshelf.

I'm very happy how everything turned out and I hope you like it as well :classic:

Regards, laix

Edited by laix

Fantastic!

I really like how you managed to fit so many functions in such a small scale! Congratulations!

And you have many solutions that I'd like to try on my present MOC attempt. I was playing with the idea of using a worm gear straight on a rack to achieve a compact assembly...I'd like to see how your solution.

WOW! Awsome! I like it very much! Youlwil make instruction for it? :cry_happy:

I like to hear others like it. My Brickshelf-Folders are public now so, you can take a look at the pictures and I'm willing to answer every question. I may take some photos when I disassemble it :wink:

I was playing with the idea of using a worm gear straight on a rack to achieve a compact assembly...I'd like to see how your solution.

As I wrote, it's not my design, but Erik Leppen's.

Edited by laix

Really nice model. Some people here wold be glad for instructions, including me.

Well done! Glad to see some great small MOCs, it's quite a challenge to fit stuff in.

Love the "custom" pump and how it's stored away when not in use.

Small mocs such as yours are really cool, because they are hard to build due to limited space and generally much tougher.

Hey guys,

thanks for all your positive feedback, it makes me proud and happy :classic:

Unfortunately there will be some major exams the next months and I won't have that much time building Lego or creating instructions. But I will try to continue building some small size models after studying all day. Just looking for some inspiration :wink:.

Best regards,

laix

Best MOC I've seen in quite a while!

Not every MOC needs to be big, as is shown here :laugh:

Great job, excellent piece of work!!

Excelent work! I like small models with good design and cool functions and your crane is one of them. :thumbup:

Hey ho,

I recreated the crane in LDD and want to share it with you :classic: With several groups to hide and unhide it should be possible to rebuild it by this file.

Mini Mobile Crane

Have fun.

laix

Edit: Lego Digital Designer lacks in some parts, you have to replace the fake parts by these:

- Technic Turntable Small under turret (99010, 99009)

- Pneumatic Cylinder (47224c01)

- Two Small Pumps (x191c01)

- Pneumatic Switch (4694b)

- The 6 red Liftarms 1 x 9 Thick (40490) should be yellow

Edited by laix