Yatkuu

An internet tale Winchester/Shaun of the Dead project on CUUSOO

Not to be a jerk but it says Belgium under his avatar.

Sure, hence why I am surprised to notice that only when reading the article :laugh:

This totally deserves the 10,000 votes it got. May this set make many people very happy. Good job Yatkuu. I hope it sells well.

Congratulations for reaching the 10.000 votes. Very nice.

As for the possibility of producing this set:

With all the attention gained by the media and Simon Pegg, there would be a really negative image impact for Lego if they shut this down. I think we'll definitely see this set in the future :wink:

Not to sound impatient, but have you heard anything about TLG having discussed this project with their "LEGO Jury"?

How will Lego actually make the set. Will they use an exact copy as yours? If so, do you have the instructions for them,

or will they build it just based on your idea? I really can't wait to see more updates and to see it on the shelves in the near future. :classic::thumbup:

Not to sound impatient, but have you heard anything about TLG having discussed this project with their "LEGO Jury"?

Haha, trust me I'm as impatient as you here!

I do have some contacts with them but all I know is that they are working on it, nothing has been decided yet. It's only been 19 days now, and they said 4 to 6 weeks so I'm afraid we'll have to be a bit more patient.

I would actually not be surprised that the review would take even longer... first they need to bring everyone involved around the table - not an easy thing in big international companies! I think the CUUSOO team is based in the US, the discussions are taking place in Billund... They have a lot of questions to address - I'm not sure which topics exactly and how soon these are addressed but there is the feasibility from a commercial stand point, marketing, supply chain, compatibility with their scheduled release agenda... not to mention the "controversial" nature of the topic! In addition to that there is the licensing question... meaning more people to be involved in the discussions!

Moreover, one could consider that it's not just the question of doing this set or not that is on the table here, it's a defining moment for CUUSOO and perhaps even for TLG to a certain extent. They have never done anything like this.

How will Lego actually make the set. Will they use an exact copy as yours? If so, do you have the instructions for them,

or will they build it just based on your idea? I really can't wait to see more updates and to see it on the shelves in the near future. :classic::thumbup:

The Win is a fairly simple build, I'm sure they could retro-engineer it based on the pictures! That being said, it's mentioned upfront on CUUSOO that they will do their own version if the project gets a green light, and it could very well end-up being very different than the initial concept. (One good example, nobody saw the MC Microworld coming)

If anyone is interested in knowing a bit more about how it all happened the BrickBlogger just posted a nice wrap-up of the whole story (Thank you SilvaShado!)

Edited by Yatkuu

I would guess that compatibility with their normal set schedules doesn't matter. These are limited run special editions, and I expect they run parallel to the main lines. Perhaps there would be an element of scheduling if there are a bunch of sets that get approved close to each other, but that's about it.

In all fairness, the Minecraft CUUSOO project had very little direction. I dont recall specific sets or MOCs that could be replicated. This however, is a full on Modular style building. I can see a few tweaks here and there like the SNOT sidewalk/street will have to go. As well as figures will need to be looked into for torso printing.

I just hope all goes smoothly.

All right everyone, time for some bad news... actually, it is probably the first bad news about this project since the day it all started.

LEGO just issued a negative review for the Winchester project, read all about it here.

I understand that a lot of people are going to be disappointed by this decision... some may also see it as a relief and that's ok too I guess. All along the project development I have tried to make a point of respecting everybody's opinion and I will continue to do so by accepting LEGO's decision. I knew the rules upfront - in the end it's their call.

Feel free to discuss the outcome of this project - I think it's healthy and normal as LEGO fans to discuss and try to understand how this company works.. what they are exactly trying to do with this CUUSOO initiative. But in any case I won't be a part of that debate. I've literally put everything I could in this project and right now I would rather just forget about it.

Thanks again to everyone who supported the project, it's been a great adventure.

PS: Congrats to the EVE project for reaching 10k supporters last night, I wish these guys better luck than the Win.

I'm so sorry to hear this, just noticed the rejection on Cuusoo. At least Yatkuu you have earn't everyone's respect for a wonderful and creative MOC.

All right everyone, time for some bad news... actually, it is probably the first bad news about this project since the day it all started.

LEGO just issued a negative review for the Winchester project, read all about it here.

I understand that a lot of people are going to be disappointed by this decision... some may also see it as a relief and that's ok too I guess. All along the project development I have tried to make a point of respecting everybody's opinion and I will continue to do so by accepting LEGO's decision. I knew the rules upfront - in the end it's their call.

Feel free to discuss the outcome of this project - I think it's healthy and normal as LEGO fans to discuss and try to understand how this company works.. what they are exactly trying to do with this CUUSOO initiative. But in any case I won't be a part of that debate. I've literally put everything I could in this project and right now I would rather just forget about it.

Thanks again to everyone who supported the project, it's been a great adventure.

PS: Congrats to the EVE project for reaching 10k supporters last night, I wish these guys better luck than the Win.

Considering they sell products with 16+ on them, I think this is a massive fail by TLG.

If you make your own instructions for it, I expect many people would download and build their own. I know I would, if I could get all the pieces.

I'm sorry Yatkuu. This was a really great project. I hope this didn't give you a negative view on CUUSOO, and I hope you'll continue to post amazing projects.

I wonder why they say their core target audience is 6-11?? What documents do they have or marketing data they have collected that indicates 6-11 is the core audience? ^-11 cant even buy their own toys....I buy any castle sets out there and they probably say 6-11 or 6-14 or whatever...

Edited by natesroom

Wow what a blow. That is disappointing to say the least. Who do they think voted it up to 10k votes? Certainly not 6-11 year olds.

Is there an Appeal process?

In 10 pages, I'm sure someone said this, but I really can't avoid it now that TLG has done what they were obviously going to do from the start...

It's a very nice build. It should have been blogged and admired by everyone, especially modular and/or Shaun of the Dead fans. If Cuusoo hadn't existed when it was built, everyone would have enjoyed looking at it and life would have moved on, just as it would with any great MOC, no expectations and no eventual disappointment.

That said, once TLG became involved, the standards changed. It is, no matter how much we want to resist it, a toy company that has always made it clear that children come first. This MOC is from an R rated movie that centers around violence and gore. Not only would it require a licensing deal to be associated with the movie, but the parents of TLG's primary customer base would object, even without looking closely enough to see that the MOC itself isn't offensive. It's how people work, and TLG would have to be insane to take that risk.

Why is anyone really surprised that it isn't being made?

Seriously.

If this had simply been released as "a new modular that fans may recognise" without the official tie-in, it might have happened. It wasn't.

The lesson to learn here is that TLG isn't going to abandon their primary customer base for AFOLs. It isn't going to happen. Sure, they'll make a set aimed at us, like the upcoming Sopwith Camel, but not if doing so would associate their brand with something inappropriate. The Camel can be viewed as historical, thus taking the real associated violence out of it. This MOC can't be separated from it's background when presented as a scene from a movie only intended for adults.

Considering they sell products with 16+ on them

Apple and oranges. When a UCS set is released as 16+, it isn't because the source material could be offensive to children under 16, it's because of safety/skill considerations. Releasing this, even as 18+, would still put an adult themed movie in the LEGO brand. That will never happen.

What a bummer :cry_sad: Would love to have the pub even by itself.

Hopefully TLG can take the pub design and make it into a modular building of some sort. Now they know there is a market for a tan 2 storey pub such as the Winchester. Or they could release the building on its own with nothing inside like a Creator building if a pub is too offensive. They can also release the minifigs inside the set, without the weapons of course.

Still hoping it would be released in some way though. :blush:

sad news, and especially odd considering

- the zombies monster hunter coming soon.

- the modulars are surely aimed at older than 6-11 year olds

- many other sets are 14+ or 16+

- Cuusoo is a 'niche' and must be at least partly aimed at AFOLs or collectors. Is the Hayabusa aimed at 6 year olds?

Noooooooooo! This is bad news for everyone today whether they voted or not. Oh well at least you shared this excellent model with us even if it's not made into a set it still made my day a few weeks back. Thanks for sharing this awesome pub!!! :sweet:

If this had simply been released as "a new modular that fans may recognise" without the official tie-in, it might have happened. It wasn't.

With all due respect to the quality of the model, it probably wouldn't have been mentioned on Conan or have reached 10,000 votes if it had been presented as such.

It seems there are implicit checks and balances in this system:

Cuusoo is 18+ but TLG's target audience is 6-11.

Non-licensed projects have low visibility.

The thought crossed my mind if I wanted a non-licensed MOC to pass approval, I'd pledge my 1% take to a charity in return for their grassroot support. There's no way I could climb that mountain alone. :sadnew:

Why is anyone really surprised that it isn't being made?

Seriously.

Yeah, your post pretty much sums up my thinking as well. This was never going to happen.

I think the license itself was probably as big an obstacle as the R rating as well. For a mass market line of products sure, but for a one off niche thing I can't see it happening. Minecraft and (potentially) EVE are different cases as they are owned by very small companies who have a very close relationship with their fanatical fanbase. I get the feeling their license negotiations are more along the lines of "we want to make Lego based on your thing", "awesome, go for it" ;)

I also have doubts based on the size and potential cost and suspect this may be the downfall of the western town if it gets the votes. I'd love to be wrong on that one though.

I still like checking this stuff out and I'll vote for the ones I want to support but I agree that a lot of stuff, even popular stuff, on there stands very little chance of getting made.

Edited by Ash

Its not about the target age for sets, its about the fact that LEGO feels that a set based on a movie with that level of violence in it could tarnish its image.

All of the film licenses TLG has produced to date (Harry Potter, LOTR, POTC, POP, Star Wars etc) have (best as I can tell from IMDB) been rated no higher than PG-13 in the US. Shaun was rated R in the US so its clearly more violent than these other properties.

The reasoning by Lego is quite bollocks. They shouldn't have used inappropriateness for 6-11 year olds as the main reason. Several of Lego's best selling themes are based on films inappropriate for 6-11 year olds yet the sets are still produced and sold and bought by parents for such young children.

It's also ironic that this got rejected just when Lego is about to release a zombie graveyard set which is at least equally graphic and violent to Yatkuu's build. It's quite disappointing that they can't release this even as a S@H exclusive.

@jonwil: Yeah, that's more like the reason. I find it disrespectful of Lego to use fake arguments to back up its decision. It's not like their core audience can watch PG-13 movies in cinemas either, or can they?

Edited by Nagyzee

I also have doubts based on the size and potential cost and suspect this may be the downfall of the western town if it gets the votes. I'd love to be wrong on that one though.

Its clear from what LEGO have said that the Western set (if it reaches 10k) would only be made as a single building.