Piranha

2012 Pirates?

I have conflicting opinions on this.

PotC was a summer release last time, correct? and we did get a mini update in the form of the Black Pearl (which I have very little interest in acquiring) so it could get a few more sets if it sold well.

There are also some characters missing, like the Governor AND skeleton pirates from the Black Pearl so there should be other sets TLG cold come up with.

There are also additional pirates movies in the works, so since LEGO already has the license for the movies, if the sets did well, I would think they would continue.

On the other hand, we haven't really heard anything about the theme continuing at all, and throwing Davy Jones in the Black Pearl set did seem like a way to get him out there. (Then again, my feelings on the Pearl are he might be the ONLY reason to get it, and maybe LEGO knew that!)

I think we need more people to chime in here... expect this discussion to get a blog entry soon

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Actually, I believe PotC was a May release. In other words, it was somewhere between winter and summer waves.

And I think that the theme may go on hiatus even if other movies are in the works. There haven't even been any trailers for the next one yet, which means it could very easily be one or two more years before the fifth movie hits theaters. And that's a long time for a license which, from my experience, doesn't sell a lot of toys except when new movies are out or at least on the horizon.

The way I see it is this, Lego has the license, but for how long I don't know. The sets were released to coincide with the latest movie, then the black Pearl was released to coincide with the DVD release of the movie. So now the hype has died down. It wouldn't surprise me if Lego wait to see if a next movie happens, then release some more sets to coincide with that. So POTC may well be dead for a while, but could resurface again with a release of a new movie, if they still keep the licence. Harry Potter theme came back again, so there's no reason why POTC won't come back a few years down the line either. In the mean time, Lego could well do another classic pirate line to fill the gap in between. We shall see :pir-classic:

I believe the license is with Disney itself and it was big coup with Toy Story 3, Cars 2 and PotC... maybe it was only for a couple of years, but if Cars and other Disney properties keep coming, I think PotC will be fair game.

Edited by ZCerberus

I also would like to mention the similarity to the Indiana Jones theme, now that also came out to coincide with the 4th film, but was still around a year or two longer to make more sets. So I think there is a chance that POTC can stay around maybe 1-2 more waves possibly, after all I heard the sets were selling very well. :shark:

I think they can come up with more sets if they decide too. I don't think they've necessarily run out of ideas as much as I think they’ve run out of easier ideas.

I can imagine a majority of sets they might produce (Blacksmith's shop, Barbossa crew battle pack, Kraken, Shipwreck cove, British fort in Port Royal) if they intend to continue this line.

All I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope! I personally thought the PoTC sets were pretty good, and I hope it gets continued. :jollyroger:

I was told in an email a couple 'o months ago that we will always have some pirate sets on our shelves.(This email was from Lego)

However I think that if we do see any new POTC sets then it will coincide with a new theme. I don't think we will see a UCS Flying Dutchman, many people would want it, but you'd have to be a TFOL or AFOL to actually buy it! I hope I am wrong :pir_laugh2:

As much as I liked the POTC theme I would love some new Pirates sets. Small ships like the Caribbean Clipper would be awesome.

:jollyroger:

I think LEGO needs to get some decent Imperial Soldiers sets on the shelves. I mean, London Escape was okay, but only two soldiers. There have to be some more soldiers in the sets.

Edited by efullner

I think the classic pirates themes have more nostalgia for AFOL and AFOl are those who remember the BSB and Imperial Trading Post, etc. Now its all about POTC, which is fine..but IMO we are at a juncture, I think POTC have a way to go and clearly TLG does what they want when they want and Im sure have dozens of ideas floating around (which ultimately might end up in a handful of sets or at least another wave of POTC), will we see the classic pirates return? Yeah I think we will..Im always searching the net for blogs and other inside scoops, will it be soon? No, probably not, in fact, very very doubtful. One can hope, but you might wanna hope for other things right now. TLG knows how popular and how much money that the classic pirates earned for them and there is no way, I believe, they would ever let this be a thing of the past...but you never know....

I personally think the POTC sets and movies are super lame. The classic pirate sets are where its at. I hope they release regular pirate sets in the future.

If they would have some Classic Pirtes sets, shouldnt we already have atleast some news from them? I personally think that they wont be coming back just yet, how ever, im hopefull. Meaning if the POTC line doseent get another wave as in that thread have been sayed. Íf i may say my personal option, i think that they cancel POTC line, but also keep the Classic Pirates in ice for a while yet.

Captain Becker

If they would have some Classic Pirtes sets, shouldnt we already have atleast some news from them?

I don't think we can count the lack of news as evidence classic pirates aren't coming back. After all, we have no leaks of any new PotC, nor many other mid-year themes which will surely have sets like Space (whether it be Alien Conquest or something new) or Castle (whether it be Kingdoms, Lord of the Rings or a new theme).

Personally, I don't think we'll get classic pirates in 2012 because Lego would have been hoping PotC did brilliantly and they would have planned ahead for that with potential new set designs. My guess is a return to classic pirates in 2013.

I have to say what I would really like to see to finish of the POTC line would be Midi-scale ships with a captain and two crewmen. Affordable fleets, small enough to display in fleets, and small enough to do a variety on shelves at a time. Captain and crewmen of all ranks and cultures.

Given that the Midi scale Star Wars sets seemed to be something of a flop (based on the fact you could pick them up for next to nothing from the bargain bins full of them), I can't see it being a popular idea with Lego. And the current ships are already pretty scaled down versions, I think if they were smaller you'd either not include minifigs at all or stick to one particularly relevant character like the forthcoming Star Wars planets sets.

Given that the Midi scale Star Wars sets seemed to be something of a flop (based on the fact you could pick them up for next to nothing from the bargain bins full of them), I can't see it being a popular idea with Lego. And the current ships are already pretty scaled down versions, I think if they were smaller you'd either not include minifigs at all or stick to one particularly relevant character like the forthcoming Star Wars planets sets.

As much as I wish you were wrong, I think you nailed it on the head.

Us AFOl's would love ships like that, but they probably wouldn't sell as good with the kids.

Ironically I missed one of the midi sets and ended up buying the falcon I think for :pir-laugh: $55

I head to have it.

I have to say what I would really like to see to finish of the POTC line would be Midi-scale ships with a captain and two crewmen. Affordable fleets, small enough to display in fleets, and small enough to do a variety on shelves at a time. Captain and crewmen of all ranks and cultures.

The good thing is that if you have the time and patience, you could build an amazing one all by yourself. When a set seems unlikely to come out, or isn't as good as I hoped, I remember that I can always improve it or build one myself! :pir_laugh2:

That's a good attitude to have anyway. :pir-cry_happy:

i would really like to see the Interceptor or the Dauntless but of course, the pirates are the "good guys" so we wont be seeing those until later.

another set that would be cool would be Port Royal or Fort Charles

I really hope they'll continue with any Pirate theme (POTC or classics). PotC because the films are brilliant and it has nice complete sets with buildings (like London Escape). Classics because for the same amount of bricks, the price is much lower :D

I think they'll do another year with Pirates, 3 or 4 new sets or sth like that and after that they can start with sets from the newest POTC movie. There are some ideas which would sell good:

- Tortuga (some inn's and drunk pirates),

- Swann's mansion,

- blacksmith,

- One of the imperial ships or an imperial fort,

- The huge prison in the beginning of the second movie (I think) (they can make a set from it where JS needs to search for the key in that building and put some soldiers in it (with pirates being in prison),

Oh well, first of all, I'll have to wait till the Black Pearl hits the shelves here in Belgium :D

Edited by DaMaximus

In addition to previous post of me:

when you go to the lego POTC site and you enter this code: 4193-4VFVT-87 (I bought the London Escape lately), you'll get a video where a designer talks about combining London Escape and Mermaid Attack to build Port Royal

In addition to previous post of me:

when you go to the lego POTC site and you enter this code: 4193-4VFVT-87 (I bought the London Escape lately), you'll get a video where a designer talks about combining London Escape and Mermaid Attack to build Port Royal

You can build Port Royal with London Escape and Whitecap Bay, so technically you need two of each sets so you can display both the instructions have been posted else where on here.

Edited by RJH

You can build Port Royal with London Escape and Whitecap Bay, so technically you need two of each sets so you can display both the instructions have been posted else where on here.

I found the topic after I posted it :D

but I don't think I gonna buy 2 of those sets as I don't really like having some exclusive minifigures 2 times :D

My guess is a return to classic pirates in 2013.

I think this is likely but on the other hand there's a possible fifth PotC film due out in 2013 which could result in another wave of PotC sets instead. So although I think there will be another pirate based wave in 2013 whether it's classic or PotC I think depends quite a lot on that film release. (Personally I'm hoping for classic pirates!)

You know, if we don't get any LEGO original pirate sets for awhile, it'd be really cool to see one or more sets based on Peter Pan...wouldn't it be cool to have Captain Hook and Smee minifigs?

TC

I don't care wether classic pirates return or another wave of POTC, as long as there's an actual pirate line.

There have been dark years when the classic pirate line ended, many years passed before the new pirates came, atleast 10 years !

If I would have been born a few years earlier I could have bought the Black Seas Barracuda and Skull's eye Schooner or any other classic pirate set, I waited years for a new pirate line to come but it didn't so I had to go through a lot of trouble to get my hands on one of the classic pirate ship sets (yes, I'm still frustrated about it).

I just hope they keep the pirate line alive.

You know, if we don't get any LEGO original pirate sets for awhile, it'd be really cool to see one or more sets based on Peter Pan...wouldn't it be cool to have Captain Hook and Smee minifigs?

TC

You know, I was just thinking about this the other day when I was watching the "Neverland" program on SyFy (which, by the way, is terrible - I don't recommend it to anyone). But yes, while it's no replacement for Classic Pirates, I would love that line, a lot of iconic set material. Imagine the Jolly Roger! Maybe Hook could be done with Bellatrix's hair? :pir-grin:

Maybe Hook could be done with Bellatrix's hair? :pir-grin:

A new generic wig pice would be better. We're badly in need of period wigs.

If a new PotC film is coming out, I would expect TLG to capitalize on it. Shame if so, I'd like to see the Imperial Armada revisited.

I don't care wether classic pirates return or another wave of POTC, as long as there's an actual pirate line.

There have been dark years when the classic pirate line ended, many years passed before the new pirates came, atleast 10 years !

well said, I just want more pirate based legos!