DLuders

What Will the 2H2011 8081 "Extreme Cruiser" Set Be?

What Will 8081 "Extreme Cruiser" Be?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of vehicle do you think the 8081 "Extreme Cruiser" set will be?

• Motorcycle or Trike (for cruising the open highway)
    • Hot Rod or Lowrider (for cruising the streets)
    • High-Speed "Cigarette" Boat (for cruising the waves)
    • Rocket (for cruising the universe)
    • Cruiser-Class Ship (like those used in the Navy)
    • Star Wars Attack Cruiser (built Technic-style); there have been Star Wars Technic sets in the past.
    • None of the above

I disagree,

Why do you think this set is bad?Lego is primary for children and children like cars and even better cars with suspensions.I don´t think this set is worse than another set with only few functions...

I'm quite happy with what I see so far in the set. We don't need another Technic model that has PF elements. IMHO, working suspension, steering, and a fake engine are all that a proper Techinc off-road set needs. As mentioned earlier, I really like all the black panels as well. I'm guessing this set will be in the $50-$60 USD range, and if so, I will be buying it. Based on what I see so far, I'd rather have this set than the supercar. :grin:

Edited by dhc6twinotter

And 2 new pics :

8081m.jpg

80812.jpg

Well... This appears to be the finalized model and I must say that I cannot believe that Lego is in fact using the smooth gray Toggle joints instead of producing the black ones again... Those gray pieces look completely out of place on this model... :thumbdown:

Edited by crowkillers

Well... This appears to be the finalized model and I must say that I cannot believe that Lego is in fact using the smooth gray Toggle joints instead of producing the black ones again... Those gray pieces look completely out of place on this model... :thumbdown:

Hey, can a mod please delete my old "crowkillers" account? I logged in to double check because I was pretty sure that I did have a dormant account under that name for quite some time. I just want to use my real name from now on... Thanks... :thumbup:

Does not look that bad to me. I like the new wheel disks and the panels. What I do not like are the stickers and yes, I would really appreciate the black toggle joints as well.

Hmmm. This model looks rather uninspired coming from TLC. Also agree with the grey angle pieces. that just doesn't look right at all. :sceptic:

This looks like a lesser version of the 8297 Off-Roader. Doesn't seem to have a lot of function except the usual (suspension, steering, opening doors/hood). At most a set for a very rainy day.

Of course there is a fake engine.

Do you really think that this already poor set could only have suspensions and steering mechanism ?

Don't think this set is a masterpiece.

But it has all the functions it needs. It's size (aprox 13x30x13studs) is acceptable, it has a lots of panels , new wheels, and I guess the price will won't be that bad either. Of course Afol's would love to have seen more functions; but we get those withe the Unimog... But for kids it is a good introduction to the wonderful world of Lego Technic!

Would have loved to see a different color though....

I would buy it for my daughter. She likes black and Technics. Hopefully it won't be too pricey in Canada.

And what are those wheels? New?

Those wheels I was surprised to have them in my 8069 Backhoe, but in yellow, since the picture in the box show them with 3 holes instead of 6. I looked for the 6 hole version on peeron and bricklink and found none. So if I checked well, I guess they´r new.

lego8069_030.jpg

Cumps

That's strange, my 8069 has the "old" 3-hole wheels. :sceptic:

Edited by legolijntje

The Bricklink.com Inventory of the 8069 set shows the 41896c01 combination "Yellow Wheel 43.2mm D. x 26mm Technic Racing Small, with Black Tire 81.6 x 38 R Balloon (41896 / 45982)". Note the 3 Technic Pin holes in each wheel. If Mortymore's set came with 6-hole wheels, maybe TLG is transitioning to a NEW wheel of the same 43.2mm diameter, as merman noted. :cry_happy: I don't see any other possibilities on the Bricklink "Tire on Wheel Relationships" webpage.

41896.jpg45982.jpg8069-1.jpg8081m.jpg

I'm quite looking forward to this set. It doesn't look like it's going to be a complicated high-end set, but looks like a fun simple set to both build and play with, especially for younger kids.

Just this last week I've been thinking of building a Batman Tumbler MOC in Technic* but didn't really have many black pieces. I think this will be the perfect set to form the foundation of that build.

*Yes it's been done before, and really well, but since when has that ever stopped us? :)

It looks like the suspension at the back might be trailing arm suspension. Hopefully it will have independent rear suspension, but if there is an engine, I'm not sure how this will be set up. If there is a differential, then the rear suspension might be linked. Or perhaps the engine is only linked to one of the rear wheels. Any other thoughts?

I think that I will get a few copies of this set, but mainly for the variety and number of black panels, as I need them for a MOC I'm working on.

I just checked my 8069 Backhoe Loader that I received mid last week, and it has 3 holes in the wheels. Could we be seeing the start of a whole new set of wheels with 6 holes?

Edited by Splat

We get one of these medium-sized off roaders every few years. It seems decent enough and looks larger than the previous ones. I like the black panels. It's interesting that they are going back to 6 hole hubs, which they had used throughout the 80s and 90s.

I prefere the 6 hole hubs as it kinda looks more like wheel nuts, kinda. I just think they look less weird anyway.

I just see that the roof has 2 red stripes. Are it stickers or is it printed? What do you think? If it's printed it will be the first new style technic panel that's printed (as far as I now).

I think it are stickers.

Edited by legolijntje

Took a photo of both sides of the new rims

lego_6holes_rims_2011.jpg

cumps

PS: I found this just now.

An Axle 5.5 With Stop (BL ref:32209) can be fully inserted on new rims from one side, but on the older 3 hole version (BL ref:41896) it can't, because the axle receptacle is different on this 2 rims.

lego_6holes_rims_2011_03.jpg

lego_6holes_rims_2011_04.jpg

Edited by Mortymore

I just see that the roof has 2 red stripes. Are it stickers or is it printed? What do you think? If it's printed it will be the first new style technic panel that's printed (as far as I now).

I think it are stickers.

I hope for a sticker.