Still the 8258 and the 42009.  I've disassembled and built the 42009 about 6 times. I must acquire a new 8258. I sold mine years ago when I thought I was more interested in modular buildings. Now I grind tha Technic and modulars can co-exist.

Andy D

My favourite of recent times is 42029, because I managed to get my hands on it and I think it's underated. I found it very playable. There are sets gone by that i never bought, like 8258, 42043 and 8880 that I loved the look of and reading about them but never managed to buy them.

H

42030 because it was my first remote controlled Lego set which is really neat to control the functions in this way.  42042 is next and would be my favorite if it were remote controlled too (my 1st technic purchase for me).

I'm a little bummed that I missed out on the 42025.

Edited by teos

Out of what i have

overall complexity and build experience + set theme: BWE

playability: Volvo 350 LF

looks: Xerion, hands down

42009 is also close to my heart since it is the first flagship set i ever got, after girlfriend opened Pandora's box with the 42028 dozer probably thinking "how could this ever go overboard?"

Def 8880 for me. I must have got it when i was 10. Played an displayed it for ages. I just recently built it again… I'm 32 now. Still love it! 

42009 is my favorite Lego set. With some improvements, I think this crane is one of the best looking sets. 

But 8110 unimog have a spot in my heart too.

My all time favorite is probably still the 8868 Air tech Claw Rig, but it was the 8110 Unimog that brought me out of my dark ages.

I do agree with Gabi_BC, the Xerion wins in the looks department by a big margin.

I don't know if I've ever had a favorite. The one set I remember the best which I had back in the days is 8235. Despite the size and the studded building technique which I don't really like today, it's probably my favorite among the sets I had as a kid.

Right now I would say 42054 Claas Xerion is one of my favorites, overall. I'm a sucker for tractors and construction machines and the Claas really appeals to me.

I haven't acquired 42009, 8258 nor 8043 yet(!) so I won't pick these... but the fact that I intend to buy them used/New after they went out if production says a lot.  Of the recent years since I was introduced to the Lego Technic hobby, I would lean towards 42039 (many awesome c models) and 42030 for its playability... but that's from a coolness factor.  In reality the sets I would truly classify as favorites, for me, are the ones I've built and rebuilt again and again and the ones I've modded a lot.  For me that's these three:

42042 crawler crane (my vote for true favorite)

42040 fire plane 

42022 hot rod

These aren't the biggest sets I own but I would never part them out for custom builds nor take them apart except to rebuild them again and again.

I have two favorite sets:

8043 motorized excavator. Still have a (partially destroyed) 2010 catalog with it. Got a NXT instead of 8043, still regretting it. Searching for one that isn't very high priced. 

8649 Nitro Menace. Was wishing of getting it since a long time, actually saw it in a catalog and later they had it on back of the instructions. I am a sucker for Racers sets and with it bring lime, fantastic stickers and NOS bottles - I absolutely love it. 

To me, best technic set ever goes hands down to the 8880 supercar.

In the studless era, that's tough as I quite like the Arocs but I'm not really fond of pneumatics. This should definitely go to the Claas Xerion...its guts are very clever, it looks beautiful with or without stickers, it is relatively inexpansive regarding its size, it's easy to play with (without having to bother with the PF battery box), it has magnificent tires, interesting functions, and it's easy to create new attachments for it.

On a side note, I'm getting rid of my Unimog and my Volvo Front Loader to make room for the 42009 crane.

Edited by charlesw

I would say 8258 is one of my favorite Techinc sets, but very close is the 8461 F1 Williams Race Car. A great and unique model.

As I said in Best Technic Set discussion:

Surprisingly I would say 42048 Race Kart! It's inexpensive, so good lookin' and it has nice gearbox and steering from steering wheel (no HoG). And Jims' inspired green-white colour scheme is just so cool :sweet: Some pics of my both race karts:

4FaTdo6.jpg

mrvXC9p.jpg

eqXIsMz.jpg

NUVG6KR.jpg

I just love this set :wub:

For me it's definitely 8043, the techniques used, the complexity, the playability and the modability make this the best overall package in my opinion.

subjectively i have to mention 8466, it was my first big LEGO set and it's the only one i keep put together for the last 5 years. I just love the way it looks :classic:

My would be 8858 no doubt , small very well build interesting functions , what more you could have ? did I said best looking "pick-up" ever build by lego? 

I have even look very closely and compare it with 42029, similar truck, and 8858 wins... 

I prefer to keep my sets individual, as building with a limited range of bricks greatly increases the model creativity. As a result my pick would be 42038 Arctic Truck. The model itself is flawed but the balance of pieces (suspension, gearbox, tracks, beam/panel ratio) makes it a great basis for Remix creations with the EV3 and smaller technic sets.

6 hours ago, thekitchenscientist said:

I prefer to keep my sets individual, as building with a limited range of bricks greatly increases the model creativity. As a result my pick would be 42038 Arctic Truck. The model itself is flawed but the balance of pieces (suspension, gearbox, tracks, beam/panel ratio) makes it a great basis for Remix creations with the EV3 and smaller technic sets.

I do the same too, but I mixed my 42038 with my 42029 and 9394, because they have all the pieces to make virtually any vehicle (I also threw in my pf parts)

Edited by BrickByBrick Official
Wrong set number (42029 not 42049)

8 hours ago, MacKaiwer said:

As I said in Best Technic Set discussion:

Surprisingly I would say 42048 Race Kart! It's inexpensive, so good lookin' and it has nice gearbox and steering from steering wheel (no HoG). And Jims' inspired green-white colour scheme is just so cool :sweet: Some pics of my both race karts:

4FaTdo6.jpg

mrvXC9p.jpg

eqXIsMz.jpg

NUVG6KR.jpg

I just love this set :wub:

Awesome! I have 2 of these as well. One of these will forever be on my shelf :)

Not yet found a set the can beat 8880, for build experience, complexity, engineering principles, functions and looks, no other set has ever really come close to it.

We have a topic for Best Technic Set, so I will be merging this one.

(done)