What do you think is the best technic set LEGO has released since the start in 1977?

My main question is what you think is the all-time best set, but considering the different strengths and factors of different sets you might want to mention several:

- Best design

- Most complex/best functions

- Most revolutionary

- Most underrated

- Best small set

- Great, but forgotten

etc. etc.

Share your opinions:)

I like the LEGO TECHNIC Space Shuttle 8480 kit. It has a motored function (long before Power Functions came along), fiberoptic cables, and LOTS OF HISTORY behind it. The 1,366-piece set was sold in 1996 for US$158, and would be considered a "flagship" if re-released today. :thumbup: After the real Space Shuttle retires later in 2010, this Lego Set will be a museum piece to commemorate mankind's most complex machine.

8480-1.1180387354.jpg

Edited by dluders

I'm sure this has been asked a million times before,

but the answer to your question probably lies in one of these 3 sets:

8880.jpg

8480-large.jpg

8868-1.jpg

The ability to rotate the turntable of the air claw rig using pneumatics was pure genius!

They are probably regarded as the most technical sets built by Lego, certainly by old school builders,

However in terms of the new studless models, these 3 sets must rank fairly high, although the bulldozer does not fit everyones tastes as it is not that complex, it did provide a good cheap source of power functions parts when it was released.

8455-1.jpg

8275-1.jpg

8421big.jpg

Paul

Edited by paul_delahaye

- Best design - 8258 - Crane truck (maybe also 8285 - Tow truck)

- Most complex/best functions - 8455 Backhoe (most likely to be replaced with 8043 this year)

- Most revolutionary - 8275 Motorized bulldozer (PF, RC, tracks...)

- Most underrated - 8448 Supercar

- Best small set: 8259 - mini bulldozer

- Great, but forgotten - 8851 - Excavator

That indeed is a difficult questions as there have been many great sets, each with it's own strong points. And it's rather weird to compare sets I own with sets I don't own e.g. the 8480 Space shutle seems to be very very good, but I can't say, cause I don't have it and will propably never be able to build it due to lots of parts I don't have.

But if I'd have to choose I'd say:

- Best design: 8285 Tow-Truck

- Most complex/best functions: 8868 Airtech Claw Rig for it's pneumatics & compressor.

- Most revolutionary: 8275 Motorized bulldozer for the powerfunctions

- Most underrated: 8846 Yellow Tow Truck

- Best small set: 8846 Yellow Tow Truck

- Great, but forgotten: 8846 Yellow Tow Truck

Conclusion: the 8846 is my favorite set (partly for nostalgic reasons) & 8868 is the best technical set IMO.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

I'm sure this has been asked a million times before,

Sorry about that, but has it been discussed on this forum? Guess I'm not very good at searching :tongue:

Anyways, a set I think is worth to mention as the underrated ones, is the 8273 Off Road truck. For only 50$ you get a big load of functions and pieces.

Edited by Pauger

Talking about underrated sets, personally I'm very fond of the 8436. Superb design (remember, it's all liftarms and old Technic panels) plus excellent playability with the pneumatic functions, and don't forget three various modules to play with. Also a very universal choice of parts, as we can see from many fan-made 8436 mods & alternative models.

Edited by Sariel

These would be my choices in the categories provided:

Best design: 8868 Airtech Claw Rig

Most complex/best functions: 8480 Space Shuttle

Most revolutionary: 8094 Control Center (numerous innovations with the programmability, model concepts and mechanisms)

Most underrated: 8446 Crane Truck

Best small set: 8259 Mini Bulldozer

Great, but forgotten: 8839 Supply Ship

My overall all-time favorite is 8868, followed closely by 8480 and 8455. The 8043 excavator has not been officially released yet, but it looks like it will be right up there with these sets. :thumbup:

My opinion is probably biased by extreme nostalgia but for me it has to be 8880.

8880 was released just before my dark ages and was on display at a toyshop near my house. I'd cycle past that shop everyday just to lust after the built model on display in the front window. At the time I had only a few small sets and the sheer scale of this model blew me away.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after many years I got hold of the set and was not disappointed in anyway. The set still managed to exceed the lofty expectations I had after so many years of coveting it.

Subsequently I had acquired 8868 and 8480 but somehow these don't hold the same mystique as 8880 (I actually still have to build 8480, so this opinion may be subject to change).

Edited by phool

From all time it's hard to pick between 8880, 8480 and 8868.

8868 was an amazing set with all those pneumatics and compressor. The 8455 was also great (had even more pneumatics) but was just too small for a flagship. Pneumatics are pure awesomeness, oozing with cool! :cry_happy: . Like the bulldozer 8868 did lack mechanicle complexity but, unlike the bulldozer, it was a marvel of impressive machinery on a small scale, like a finely detailed model, steam powered traction engine to the bulldozers cheap remote controlled toy. If Lego wish to ever improve on this, improving the pneumatic range of parts is where to go from here I think.

8880 was true innovation, most importantly functionaly, but also in style. It looks amazing even today. Square beams make your eyes see rounded shapes and proper supercar styling. It had many new parts which allowed new functions never seen before like 4 wheel everything and a sychronised gearbox. It's only flaws are the high levels of friction in the 4 wheel drive train/gearbox and the inability of the gearbox to handle high levels of torque, both flaws have never been properly resolved to this day in newer sets IMHO. If Lego wishes to improve on this great set then these flaws must be addressed. This current gearbox format (with pairs of synchros, all of which are the same size, are placed side by side) is unrealistic and getting dated now.

8480 was for a very long time the benchmark in terms of complexity. It was a very long time before 2009's crane truck which has been the only thing to compete with it's complexity. 8480 was also mainly white :wub: obviously and on top of all that complexity you got two motors, two switches and fiber optics. And this was 14 years ago!!!!!! Looking forward, the crane truck mentioned earlier could have been a worthy successor to the shuttle. But while it was about the same complexity, it didn't beat it. Many of it's gears were used as knob wheels, many of it's funtions had no drive trains to power them. The bulk of the gearing down was done in the motor and the LA's leaving not much left to do yourself besides lots in 16t gears meshing with more 16t gears. 8258 was still arguably the best of the decade, but for these flaws, it wasn't quite as good as the smaller, cheaper 8480.

As great as these sets were, i'de like to think there is still better to come. Wonder what 2011 will bring :wink:

Edited by allanp

I'm curretly collecting old technic sets (used, in good condition, stickers, box and instructions present) and what I just don't get is why the sets we all consider above to be some of the best ever made don't seem to hold there worth logically?

ebay

Average selling price of 8880 is £80 - 90

Average selling price of 8480 is £90 - £120

Average selling price of 8868 is £80

In yet a set like 8285 (Tow Truck) which is only a few years old and although had a couple of pneumatic cylinders was nothing special is currently selling for between £110 - £130. I just don't get it? Anyone know the logic of what makes 8285 so expensive? I now kick myself for not picking this up at Legoland a couple of years ago for £82

Edited by paul_delahaye

It's very difficult to say which is the best, and the various personal tastes certainly don't help with that.

For me, these are some of the best sets (ordered chronologically):

8094 - first control center, first set with 2 motors, unique models

8856 - flex system, best Technic helicopter so far

8839 - first Technic ship

8868 - first pneumatic compressor, one of the most complex models

8880 - first all wheel drive+steering with suspension, first truly stylized supercar

8485 - evolution of the control center, that dinosaur looks so cool!

8480 - among the most complex, unique model

8459 - air tank!

8455 - most pneumatics in a single set

8275 - first set remotely controlled using PF

I'm curretly collecting old technic sets (used, in good condition, stickers, box and instructions present) and what I just don't get is why the sets we all consider above to be some of the best ever made don't seem to hold there worth logically?

ebay

In yet a set like 8285 (Tow Truck) which is only a few years old and although had a couple of pneumatic cylinders was nothing special is currently selling for between £110 - £130. I just don't get it? Anyone know the logic of what makes 8285 so expensive? I now kick myself for not picking this up at Legoland a couple of years ago for £82

As you, I'm also collecting older sets, and it's true that some don't appear to be as expensive as newer (and less interesting) sets, but that's not the sort of thing I would complain about :grin:

However, lately I've been having to spend more money on sets, so maybe people are beginning to realize how good those sets are compared to some of their newer cousins.

For example, looking at the ones I bought:

8880: €40 in 2007 (with box & instructions)

8868: €52 in 2009 (no box)

8094: €43 in 2009 (no pen)

8480: €116 in 2010 (with box & instructions)

8485: €63 in 2010 (no instructions, no adaptor)

Edited by grepin

Price is not merely a function of goodness, it is also a function of scarcity and being sought. Supply and demand are at work. For example, the old Expert Builder engines set, 858, is one of the most expensive sets I have ever purchased, yet it is not very large or impressive. This is due to the fact that it was only sold in one country and not very many were sold. Some of the other "best" sets you mention were made in high volume. Not only that, the kids who could actually acquire these "master" sets tended to be the same type of kids who kept them complete and in good condition. Even a kid recognized an 8880 as a treasure and kept it carefully. On the other hand, a much smaller set was more likely to be mixed in with the pile, played with harshly, or lost. Some of these smaller sets therefore cost more. The other component is who is looking for it. A lot of current fans know about 8285 and are looking for it, so that commands a high price (demand). Far fewer people know about 8868 so, even though it is arguably better and clearly much older, it sells for less.

No matter how you look at, collecting old sets isn't cheap, but it sure is fun.

Anyone know the logic of what makes 8285 so expensive?

That's because today people love models which dazzle. That's all.

This year, the 8043 dazzles AND has great and complex functions. :)

IMO, this model is in my top 5. With 8868, 8480, 8421, 8466 and 8258.

Oops, it is a top 6. :tongue:

Edited by Anio

The other component is who is looking for it. A lot of current fans know about 8285 and are looking for it, so that commands a high price (demand). Far fewer people know about 8868 so, even though it is arguably better and clearly much older, it sells for less.

That might explain it. I have noticed this trend too, that the flagship Technic sets of the last 6 or 7 years have increased in price faster than the flagship sets from the 90s. It could simply be that the demand for the older sets has peaked out. Most people who wanted those sets would have already gotten them by now, with sites like ebay and BL having been around for many years now.

The condition of the sets also needs to be factored in though. Recent sets tend to have a much larger proportion of MISB copies on sale, and the used copies are also likely to be in better condition. MISB 8285s are easy to come by, while there are currently no MISB 8868s on Bricklink and they come up maybe once in 6 months on ebay. Even though a used 8868 is cheaper than a used 8285, a new 8868 will probably cost quite a bit more than a new 8285.

reactivating an old thread:

Some votes in the categories:

- Best design: 8258 Crane Truck

- Most complex/best functions: 8868 Airtech Claw Rig for it's pneumatics & compressor, 8880 for best car-functions and introducing all revolutionary parts necessary for a real car-design, 8480 for the first occurrence of a gear-box for supporting several functions with just one motor, 8043 for the most complex gear-trains in a standard set (but probably the 8258 could compete here very well)

- Best mid-sized set: 8455 for it's thousands of pneumatics and 8459 for it's clever and cute overall design, great playability, great functions and it's airtank

- Most revolutionary: 8275 Motorized bulldozer for powerfunctions – but overall this is only a mid-ranged model

- Most underrated: 8479 – The barcode system is outstanding and the truck itself is full with great gear-trains

- Best small set: 851 – IMHO the best looking tractor (very realistic ferguson) with a really very clever because simple mechanism for raise, lower and driving the implements – 856 Bulldozer competes here very well – astonishing linkage-system with ingenious geometry – both are designed very realistic though consisting mainly of standard studded bricks -

- Great, but forgotten: 8848: Great looking unimog; lever and linkage driven scoop and bed are fascinating, 851 and 856 could be mentioned here too

well, not all sets fit well into this categories or win some category but are nevertheless one of the greatest ever, so here is my overall-list of greatest sets ever:

8880: s.a. The best car ever - has introduced all (and more) stuff used today by other supercar-designers - not to forget one of the best b-models

8421: One of the best really big sets cause of design&look, very clever boom-extending, very clever synchronizing between boom-extension and winch - the under-dimensioned pneumatic can easily be pimped with two cylinders more and connecting the retracing air-circle with the valve too

8258: s.a. superb design and overwhelming complexity

8868: s.a.

8480: s.a.

8455 and 8459: best mid-sized sets with astonishing design and functionality

Unoriginal question to ask... what kind of daft person would start a thread like this?

oh wait

8455 hands-down. Pain in the a-- having to pump air into the systems all the time, too bad an airtank or 2 couldn't have been implemented but I see no way in such a compact set, but a centerpiece and so true to life.

Other notables:

8459/39/64 Pneumatic Front Loader

8285 Tow Truck

8421 Mobile Crane (too bad the boom doesn't stay up though with modifications)

8043 RC Excavator

8448 Supercar

8466 4x4 Off-Roader

8462 Tow Truck (2 airtanks!)

Price is not merely a function of goodness, it is also a function of scarcity and being sought. Supply and demand are at work. For example, the old Expert Builder engines set, 858, is one of the most expensive sets I have ever purchased, yet it is not very large or impressive. This is due to the fact that it was only sold in one country and not very many were sold. Some of the other "best" sets you mention were made in high volume. Not only that, the kids who could actually acquire these "master" sets tended to be the same type of kids who kept them complete and in good condition. Even a kid recognized an 8880 as a treasure and kept it carefully. On the other hand, a much smaller set was more likely to be mixed in with the pile, played with harshly, or lost. Some of these smaller sets therefore cost more. The other component is who is looking for it. A lot of current fans know about 8285 and are looking for it, so that commands a high price (demand). Far fewer people know about 8868 so, even though it is arguably better and clearly much older, it sells for less.

No matter how you look at, collecting old sets isn't cheap, but it sure is fun.

I've noticed at least on Amazon.com that if somebody buys a set, others that have that same set raise their prices because of demand. Kind of gouging but hey some people will pay the outrageous prices on even smaller, long since retired sets.

ebay

Glad I bought 3 of them in 2006 when they were released at $119 MSRP USD. Now look at the prices for MISB or even NISB...crazy prices, even the 8421, bought 2 of them new in 2005 at $149, now look at what they are going for...another out in space price...

These would be my choices in the categories provided:

Best design: 8868 Airtech Claw Rig

Most complex/best functions: 8480 Space Shuttle

Most revolutionary: 8094 Control Center (numerous innovations with the programmability, model concepts and mechanisms)

Most underrated: 8446 Crane Truck

Best small set: 8259 Mini Bulldozer

Great, but forgotten: 8839 Supply Ship

My overall all-time favorite is 8868, followed closely by 8480 and 8455. The 8043 excavator has not been officially released yet, but it looks like it will be right up there with these sets. pirate_thumbup.gif

Oh yeah, forgot about the 8446, i bought one last summer at a reasonable price on eBay, brand new. An odd beast indeed, but still a cool looking crane truck, the jaws are very unique. And I like the green color...

Edited by TechnicFreak

All time best Technic set is the 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig for me, released in 1992. From aesthetic point of view, it has a clear and beatiful design. Looks like the real thing, even sounds like the real thing. Compressor and pneumatic for the first time. Authenticity, because the pneumatic design comes closest to real one's hydraulic system. Challenging building and outstanding playability. I have (or had) ALL the Technic flagships since 1977, but 8868 is the crown jewel of my entire LEGO collection. This set still hasn't been surpassed.

My favourites per decades:

From the 70s

853 Car Chassis: started it all, the first supercar with working Inline 4 cylinder fake engine, 2-speed unsynchronized transmission, adjustable seats and rack and pinion steering, missing working suspensions though

852 Helicopter: the first helicopter is amazing for it's age, features collective pitch control and flybars with paddles

857 Motorbike with Sidecar: one of the coolest Technic motorcycles, good functions, design comes close to Model Team standard, although no working suspension unfortunately

From the 80s

8860 Auto Chassis: revolutionary compared to the first supercar, flat V4 cylinder fake engine, Ackermann steering, 2-speed unsynchronized gearbox, Tatra-style suspension on rear wheels and superb seat mechanism are worth mentioning

8859 Tractor: impressive, has all the proper tractor functions and various attachments can be added

8855 Prop Plane: amazing flight controls, very realistic operation, missing the rudder though

8865 Test Car: 3-speed unsynchronized transmission, foldable headlights, Ackermann steering with a very good geometry, V4 fake engine and finally independent double whisbone suspension on all wheels for the first time

8862 JCB Excavator: super pneumatic and gear driven functions, impressive set even nowdays

8854 Power Crane: first pneumatic crane truck with marvellous functions, although none of them was motorized, super playable

From the 90s

8094 Control Centre: drawing machine and sorting robot arm are simply awesome

8868 Air Tech Claw Rig: revolutionary compressor and pneumatic system for the first time, big ovation to Olav Krøigaard, the lead designer of this set, it is like the real thing, works like the real thing, sounds like the real thing, rack and pinion steering, V6 fake engine with cooling fan driven by two (!) differentials, sturdy, brutal, stunning, playable, unbeatable, LEGO Technic at it's best, wow effect

8880 Supercar: the alpha and omega for supercars, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel independent (double whisbone) suspension on all wheels, 4-speed synchronized gearbox, Ackermann steering, foldable headlights, V8 fake engine, function-wise it is better than the UCS supercars of nowdays

8485 Control Centre II: moving T-REX and helicopter are simply genious, I really miss the universal sets like this, wow effect

8480 Space Shuttle: 5 motorized functions carried out by only 2 motors, fiber optic system, cool manual features, design awesomness, miraculous, some consider this set the best of all - with a reason, wow effect

8459 Pneumatic Front-end Loader: best front loader so far, with pneumatic pistons and airtank, super playable

8479 Barcode Multi-Set: barcode!, touch sensors, flex system, unique and awesome, my copy still works fine and a joy to play with, even my girlfriend likes the american style garbage truck the best :wink:, wow effect

8462 Tow Truck: best tow truck so far in this scale, complex pneumatic system with two (!) air tanks for towing, slightly futuristic but nice look, you can tow the heavy 8868 rig with it

8448 Super Street Sensation: 5-speed synchronized gearbox + reverse, V8 fake engine, modular design, gull wing doors or convertible top with dumping system, independent suspension on all wheels with a very good geometry, the last classic supercar in the Technic line

From the 00s

8455 Backhoe: king of the manual pneumatic sets with 10 (!) pneumatic cylinders, authenticity, super playable and looks like the real thing, it has even a fake engine, best backhoe so far, wow effect

8421 Mobile Crane: outstanding design and mechanics, super steerable, it has an authentic motorized and synchronized boom - winch mechanism (which 42009 lacks unfortunately) and 3 stage telescopic boom for the first time, wow effect

8275 Motorized Bulldozer: brought Power Functions system to Technic, simply brutal, Toy Innovation winner in 2007 - that means something, wow effect

8258 Crane Truck: very complex and clever gear system driven knuckle-boom, rig looks like a real Volvo, if only it had double wheels at the rear

From the 10s

8043 Motorized Excavator: super playable, amazing aesthetics, compactness and complexity, IMO it will remain an icon among all Technic sets and will be one of the most sought-after in the forthcoming decades, the masterpiece of Anders Gaasedal Christensen, wow effect

8110 Mercedes-Benz Unimog U400: set new standard for authenticity, great and advanced suspension system with Panhard-rod for the first time, compressor and pneumatic system, best MOC-able set

42009 Mobile Crane MK II: complex and heavy mobile crane with 5 motorized functions (2 stage outriggers are simply awesome), turning of this behemoth works like a charm, could be easily used as an intercontinental ballistic rocket launcher after some modification :devil:

41999 4X4 Crawler Exclusive Edition: design and functions are better than it's original, exclusive and fun to play with

42030 Volvo L350F Wheel Loader: don't listen to the croakers, this set is magnific, super playable and goes well with other remote controlled Technic models, especially with 42114 dumper

42043 Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245: one of the most complex and beloved Technic sets to date with function paradise, upgraded pneumatic and compressor system, 4-wheel steering, working all-wheel suspension for a truck for the first time in this scale, super motorized and manual functions, probably Markus Kossman's magnum opus, wow effect

42054 CLAAS Xerion 5000 Trac VC: terrific tractor with superb rotating cab and with a unique 3 mode steering system

42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS: finally a true supercar in the new millennium, Uwe Wabra at his best, the PDK gear shifting mechanism is a miracle (after some minor modification :tongue:), wow effect

From the 20s

42114 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler: after building all LEGO Technic flagship sets from 1977 to 2020 recently, wow feeling comes rarely, but it happened when my copy of this set was first put into operation, this is a modern classic with it's automated gearbox (first in LEGO Technic history!) and first time I feel that implementing Control+ was worth the effort

42131 Cat D11 Bulldozer: this one is a beast with expanded and improved bulldozer functionality, only the fake actuators at the back are disappointing, but if you love yellow construction machines and ready to spend big money, this dozer won't disappoint you, a worthy successor to the legendary 8275

Edited by Interceptor

@interceptor: very well spoken.. apart from some subtle tonality i would undersign all of these votings - even the unimog when the most important criteria is authenticity

All time best Technic for me: 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig. For aesthetics (clear and beatiful design), mechanics (compressor and pneumatic for the first time), authenticity (because pneumatic design comes closest to real one's hidraulic), challenging building. In my opinion it is an all time classic, the crown jewel and the ONE I would keep if I had to sell my entire LEGO collection.

My other favourites are (sorry if list is too long and not fit the original question totally) :classic:

From 70s

856 Bulldozer (one of the best small sets, bulldozer from only bricks and plates)

857 Motorcycle with sidecar (coolest motorcycle for me so far, massive and blue)

From 80s

8860 Auto chassis (revolutionary compare to the first supercar)

8859 Tractor - harvester (cool features and parts pack)

8862 Excavator (updated pneumatics, impressive)

8854 Power Crane (it had almost all the crane functions you are excited about regarding 42009 although none of them was motorized)

From 90s

8094 Control Centre (robotic arm is pure awesome)

8868 Air Tech Claw Rig (simply the best)

8880 Supercar (the alpha and omega for supercars)

8480 Space Shuttle (5 motorized functions carried out by 2 motors, fiber optics, cool manual features)

8459 Pneumatic Front-end Loader (best front loader so far, with airtank)

8479 Barcode Multi-set (I know you are devided but my copy still works fine and joy to play with, even my girlfriend likes the american style trash truck the best) :wink:

From 00s

8455 Backhoe (king of authenticity, super playable and looks like the real thing, best backhoe so far)

8421 Mobile Crane (for wonderful design and mechanics, IMO 42009 is not trully a successor to it in every aspect...)

8275 Motorized Bulldozer (for bringing PF to Technic line, simply brutal)

8258 Crane Truck (for being very complex)

From 10s

8043 Motorized Excavator (for playability, IMO it will remain an icon and will be one of the most sought after)

8110 Unimog (for authenticity)

I couldn't have said all that better myself :) 100% agree!

..........Wonder what 2011 will bring :wink:

The freakin Unimog! Add that to the list for sure as I now have 4 all time favorite sets.