Ngoc Nguyen

42175 Volvo FMX Truck & EC230 Electric Excavator

31 minutes ago, allanp said:

Я думаю, что это на самом деле аккумулятор.

you are absolutely right!  PU500

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

are in the 2000-parts range

You have a remarkably relaxed interpretation of "2000-parts range".  One is 2274, the other is 2793.  That is a 519 piece difference, or a 23% difference.  If we round, the former is closer to 2,000 pieces, the latter 3,000.  Not to mention the former (with the fewer pieces) is not only one vehicle but two, unlike the AROCS.  The AROCS was a flagship, whereas this is not even close..  THe AROCS was motorized, this one is not... I mean the differences are endless.  I really dont think these are sets to compare, even if we exclude the price issue.  

3 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Maybe, but the Arocs was a way cooler model, regardless of price

My comments were definitely about the price.  In fact, by stating "Folks have to stop making these comparisons" the operative word here is "these" referring to the price.  This should be clear with my comment about inflation, and nearly 10 years that had passed between AROCS release and now.  If you throw out the price discussion, not sure why you even quoted me.... 

Edited by nerdsforprez

22 minutes ago, Danil said:

you are absolutely right!  PU500

"The PU500 is a trailer-mounted, diesel engine driven, prime power generator unit". So, it's perfectly accurate to describe it as a generator.

18 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

You have a remarkably relaxed interpretation of "2000-parts range".  One is 2274, the other is 2793.  That is a 519 piece difference, or a 23% difference.  If we round, the former is closer to 2,000 pieces, the latter 3,000.  Not to mention the former (with the fewer pieces) is not only one vehicle but two, unlike the AROCS.  The AROCS was a flagship, whereas this is not even close..  THe AROCS was motorized, this one is not... I mean the differences are endless.  I really dont think these are sets to compare, even if we exclude the price issue.  

My comments were definitely about the price.  In fact, by stating "Folks have to stop making these comparisons" the operative word here is "these" referring to the price.  This should be clear with my comment about inflation, and nearly 10 years that had passed between AROCS release and now.  If you throw out the price discussion, not sure why you even quoted me.... 

Yes but TLG are the masters of their own universe in price setting and when they want to they can adjust them to give better value for money to push sets they think won´t be as popular. I honestly wouldn´t be interested in this one even at half the price as it is Assault on Hoth UCS in Technic flavour - 3  mini builds with not a lot going on in any of them.

2 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

3  mini builds with not a lot going on in any of them

Which is my point.  I don't think there is any meaningful comparison between this and 42043

To be honest, I don't see a Volvo truck in the cabin design.

The boom on the excavator is too flimsy.

Double bucket shameful.

And at that price, lego should be doing better.

I think the design department is getting lazy or lego doesn't have any interest in their customers anymore.

1 minute ago, Dafgek81 said:

Double bucket shameful.

I think the design department is getting lazy or lego doesn't have any interest in their customers anymore.

As aforementioned, I'm okay with the boom, but the double bucket is a hard pill to swallow. It's just plain lazy.

1 hour ago, Dafgek81 said:

Честно говоря, я не вижу в дизайне салона грузовика Volvo.

Стрела у экскаватора слишком хлипкая.

Двойное ведро позорно.

И при такой цене у LEGO дела обстоят лучше.

Я думаю, что отдел дизайна становится ленивым или LEGO больше не интересуется своими клиентами.

In the last two decades, as the market shows, managers rule.  And people who are creatively perfect, who have thoughts, ideas and who are ruled by inspiration, have unfortunately faded into the background.  And this is true in almost all areas.

57 minutes ago, Dafgek81 said:

Double bucket shameful.

Lego is still profit seeking corporation so they so are interested in customers. Design is not lazy, it is well taught and calculated.  You know, I don't like new Hollywood movies and love the old ones. I think nowadays Hollywood became lazy and cheap. But the new movies are still breaking the box office records. Which means regardless of my taste business model is doing just fine.  It is Hollywood which is adapting to the market because they care about the profits. So either I downgrade my standards or I can start looking for movies elsewhere (f.e. foreign countries).

Found a few more pictures of the set. Not great, not terrible. 

236756_4.webp

236756_5.webp

236756_6.webp

Based on those images, I will get this, let the kids "play" with it for a while then look at a decent size C model. I am thinking a flat bed truck and dozer combo.

On 5/1/2024 at 5:47 PM, msk6003 said:

I can't see well not but if it has #6 90' connector in orange it is also rare(last release is 2 on 2022. before that and exclude FLL set, 2 on 2003 is last.)

#6 90' connector on orange conformed.

On 4/16/2024 at 7:37 PM, R0Sch said:

ULx14cx.png

Top left 3x13 frame is also conformed.

There are excavator buckets with central reinforcement plates; I saw that IRL in Liebherr eherled excavators and on JCB 4CX...but I'm not sure about Volvo

quality,100

In the first of the new pictures of the excavator you can clearly see the seam between the buckets. It isn't present in the 2nd picture where it is lifting the generator. 

6 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Top left 3x13 frame is also conformed.

Where exactly in the model did you see this?

Definitely 2 buckets side-by-side. But as @1gor mentioned, buckets with central reinforcement exist in real life (I've also seen those in construction sites) so I don't see a problem with this double-bucket approach to simulate it. 

31 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Where exactly in the model did you see this?

It looks like there might be 2 at the rear of the truck for the chassis.

Posted (edited)

White stickers are so white compared to the panels. I don't recall such difference in colour on another white set, f.e. 42100 

Edited by Oh_Hi_Mao

7 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Based on these images....looks like a single bucket

Nope, it's definitely two.

43 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

It looks like two in that First picture, while it looks like one in the second picture. I'm pretty sure the second one was photoshopped. This is a really bad design decision for an official Set.

Can't say I had much hope for this set to be perfectly honest, and I find myself proven correct... It seems so boring. Like Erik said, it's a whole lot of not much going on... The excavator only having two cylinders feels like a spit in the face

2 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

What am I missing? If two....this should be cleaved. 

236756_6

someone else said perhaps its photoshopped. That would be an awfully lot of trouble to go to for a lego pic. Not sure I agree with that. 

9 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

What am I missing? If two....this should be cleaved. 

You can see the division very faintly if you look closely, and the gap between the two is noticeable where both buckets curve.