2 minutes ago, Jockos said:

You got me thinking. Though I don't know the reliability of the 'retired' tags, seeing the summer line-up of upcoming sets only the Porsche is motorized (maybe the Lunar Rover too, but not confirmed), so it's an indicator they are really downsizing the whole system. I wouldn't be too surprised to have a brand new system next year, with a last C+ set of its kind like it was in 2019 with 42095.

I'd rather expect a new system in 2026, they can still release a car or a tracked vehicle with the integrated hub next year. 

5 minutes ago, Jockos said:

You got me thinking. Though I don't know the reliability of the 'retired' tags, seeing the summer line-up of upcoming sets only the Porsche is motorized (maybe the Lunar Rover too, but not confirmed), so it's an indicator they are really downsizing the whole system. I wouldn't be too surprised to have a brand new system next year, with a last C+ set of its kind like it was in 2019 with 42095.

Another thing, this might explain the curiously low price of the 42160 Audi.

3 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I'd rather expect a new system in 2026, they can still release a car or a tracked vehicle with the integrated hub next year. 

...or even in 2027 for the 50th anniversary!

1 minute ago, Aurorasaurus said:

Another thing, this might explain the curiously low price of the 42160 Audi.

Yes. And interestingly, there have been only 3 sets (2 if we exclude Osprey) across themes with the 'dumb' hub...

11 hours ago, R0Sch said:

I'm assuming this hub will use these motors from HoiPo, the front steering motor being geared down with planetary gears and the drive ones running much faster.
5x5TD81.png

Interesting findings. Not sure is this motor as same as the motor used in Buwizz buggy motor?

1 minute ago, kingiswide said:

Interesting findings. Not sure is this motor as same as the motor used in Buwizz buggy motor?

I wouldn't think so, that one can take 11.1 volts.

The only thing positive to me about this whole PU C+ system is the dumb hub. Its form and connection points allow easier integration into the structure. Too bad it's getting phased out without appearing in more sets.

9 minutes ago, allanp said:

I wouldn't think so, that one can take 11.1 volts.

Good point, thanks a lot for your reply.

Posted (edited)

Looking at the photos of the hub, I have more observations:

• There seem to be optical encoder rings behind the drive motors, giving the hub ability to measure their RPM and thereby having an option of an intelligent electornic differential and constant speed control. This is very useful to keep the model going straight!
  • Drive motors seem not to be inline with the output axles, hence they don't seem to use planetary gearing, but a double stage gearing with normal gears first and red bevel gears second. This indeed would allow for very high RPM, but torque might be questionable. Or they are inline and use just one stage plenatary gearing...
  • The steeering motor basically reuses the same magnetic ferrite and probably the gearing from L motor.
  • USB charging port is probably in the back between the drive wheels
  • The 6 LEDs are probably lid up via light pipes simillar to the one for status LED. I would not expect them to be very bright due to safety concerns.
  • I expect the fiber optics to be simillar to the ones used back in the 90's but having end shape simillar to the one used for PU and PF LEDs - slightly recessed pin.

Edited by Zerobricks

Interesting how pictures of the internals/motors for this set have leaked before the set itself. An integrated hub like this may be a step backwards in some respects compared to the usual modular hub and external motor system, but the multiple LEDs on the hub are something new. Hopefully the associated fiber-optics are better than the previous ones and will expand the lighting options for MOCs.

On 4/26/2024 at 7:21 AM, kbalage said:

I just noticed today that in addition to the XL Motor and the Simple Medium Linear Motor, the Technic hub is also marked as retired. Is this the usual game they play, or is it really gone? Because if it really has been retired, then this move supports more our theories about downsizing Powered Up to phase out the system rather than a promising expansion with specialized parts.

On lego.com/en-gb neither Medium Linear Motor #88008 or Technic Hub #88012 are shown as retired, although the motor is marked as temporarily out of stock, so it may be as you say TLG playing games. The XL Motor #88014 has been retired for ages.

Posted (edited)

Thx for the pics. I'm drawn to a few new parts/recolors and the hub isn't as big as i thought it would be

Edited by SNIPE

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

I was still hoping for a physical controller.

Me 2.
What I don't get is why we charge with 5V but the battery can only go up to 3.7V-4.2V max. Is there a transformer built in or what?

Edited by R0Sch

Just now, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

Is it 1:16 autotransporter scale?

No, too big. More like Ford GT scale (same wheels and wheelarches).

I am not mistaken, lighting is realized using optical fibers or (less likely) new kind of electrical connection, with at least 6 ports available.

3538 11x5x2 arched top mudguard in black is new

42195 3L smooth driving ring connector on blue is new

2457 angled panel on blue is new

32015 #5 112.5' connector on blue is rare(last release is 2021)

41239 liftarm 13L on blue is rare(last release is 1 on 2023. But 2022 and 2021 released only on FLL sets so real last release is 3 on 2020. Before that, 7 on 2017, 2 on 2010.)

#21 and #22 2x5 panel on blue is rare(last release is 2023 but that is FLL sets so real last release is 2022)

32449 4L half thick beam on blue is very rare(last release is 2008)

New small curved panel size is 3x9 and perfactly match with Ford GT40's 3538 11x5x2 arched mudguard panel and huracan's 2459 9x2x3 arched mudguard panel.

Uhm... the front spoiler... at the right and left end of the lower lip... Why are they using a blue 2L liftarm on each end and not blue toilet paper part (aka comma part) as in te middle of the lower lip? 

6 minutes ago, XTN said:

Uhm... the front spoiler... at the right and left end of the lower lip... Why are they using a blue 2L liftarm on each end and not blue toilet paper part (aka comma part) as in te middle of the lower lip? 

I bet it's because of logistical/economical reasons. These toilet paper panels would be the only place where they are used, and the blue liftarms are elsewhere, too, so it's easier to put the latter here.

5 minutes ago, Jockos said:

I bet it's because of logistical/economical reasons. These toilet paper panels would be the only place where they are used, and the blue liftarms are elsewhere, too, so it's easier to put the latter here.

My first thought too, but there is one, just an inch away, right in the middle of the lip... probably the same numbered bag.
Well, nvm, TLG must know what they're doing.

3 minutes ago, XTN said:

My first thought too, but there is one, just an inch away, right in the middle of the lip... probably the same numbered bag.
Well, nvm, TLG must know what they're doing.

Oh, you're right, I didn't notice at first! Maybe the piece there is longer than just 2M, so that's why there isn't this toilet paper

They should’ve made this a generic technic supercar. It looks nothing like a cayman

6 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Me 2.
What I don't get is why we charge with 5V but the battery can only go up to 3.7V-4.2V max. Is there a transformer built in or what?

That's pretty normal for electronics with single cell lithium batteries. You want a charging voltage above the battery voltage, to ensure that current flows in the right direction!