Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

Posted (edited)

Weird to see this so soon, and before a non-blurry pic of the space CMF.

The dragonborn seems to be a Paladin  of Bahamut, with Bahamut on his shield.

I think the bards legs would work well with rangers torso, when trying to use these parts for a ranger of other races.

Szass Tam's face reminds of the fantasy era castle skeletons but that's no bad thing.

1 hour ago, Darth Phallus said:

Are we sure it is not Fake??

MaxBautde's Instagram had been a pretty reliable source thus far, I expect it's real. 

Edited by Agent Kallus

I hope the new armour part ( used for the Paladin) is open at the back so it would be compatible with other back facing neck attachments like the wings, or a backpack or anything that would fit.

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

I hope the new armour part ( used for the Paladin) is open at the back so it would be compatible with other back facing neck attachments like the wings, or a backpack or anything that would fit.

very unlikely, obviously it will be open on the sides for the arms, but I don´t see that happening for the back as there is no other reason for it other than to make it fit with wings and such but oposing to that it would just look very bad to have the Armor on the front only for every other character than the Aarakocra. So yeah I think the chances for that happening are very low and I am actually happy about that.

After collecting my thoughts on the set, I have to say I absolutely love it.

The build is extremely impressive — there's so much going on, bit it never feels messy or incoherent. The front looks fantastic with the colorful tavern, the detailed landscape, and a huge tower with a wall in the back. The interior is packed with various rooms and hidden details.

The minifigures are awesome too — big variety of races and classes, lots of new prints, interesting accessories. The Beholder looks incredible, and I also love the addition of a Gelatinous Cube. The Dragon looks very impressive and really unique (where are its eyes tho?).

I've seen some complaints that the original set was much better because of a unified colour scheme, which I don't really get — isn't the DnD aesthetic about the variety, all unique characters and locations somehow blending seamlessly? I'll take a colorful set anyday over a one using only green, grey and brown.

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

very unlikely, obviously it will be open on the sides for the arms, but I don´t see that happening for the back as there is no other reason for it other than to make it fit with wings and such but oposing to that it would just look very bad to have the Armor on the front only for every other character than the Aarakocra. So yeah I think the chances for that happening are very low and I am actually happy about that.

I think it's unlikely too but I think it wouldn't look bad to have the print showing at the back, especially as you could then add separate back armour if needed, or a backpack or a neck attachment with studs to use to mount the shield and a spear or something.

But fair enough, I can see why you wouldn't want it, I just think it could be interesting and different, and allow more options.

Posted (edited)

I have to say I am very dissapointed... the druid and witch are gorgeous. Some printed bodies look usefull and I like the fact there is a new axe (while not being very impressed by the design. Saw too many better custom pieces) . The rest ... meh.... I can't get over the fact we don't get any new beard. 2 dwarfs and I can't tell which is worse... At least they could have done a recolour of an existing beard piece like the hair-beard-combo from Dreamz... and now I see the cmf dwarf doesn't even have leg printing. 

Edited by Gorilla94

The minifigures look really good. Can anyone more familiar with DnD remind me what each one is supposed to be? I can't find the original list.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

The minifigures look really good. Can anyone more familiar with DnD remind me what each one is supposed to be? I can't find the original list.

1- Dwarf barbarian

2- Githyanki Warlock ( githyanki are vaguely frog like extra dimensional warriors)

3- Tiefling Sorcerer ( Tiefling's are descended from devils, though that doesn't mean they are evil)

4- dragon Paladin (Of Bahamut god of good dragons)

5- Halfing Druid ( Halflings is just a less copywrited way of saying Hobbits)

6- Aarakocra ranger ( Aarakocra are a D&D bird people race)

7- Mind Flayer ( Mind flayers are tentacle faced monsters that want to turn other people into mind flayers and dominate all dimensions, they feed on minds and the big brain on legs is an intellect devourer and they do exactly what the name suggests)

8- Strahd ( he's a vampire)

9- Half-Elf Bard ( one elven parent, the other human, bards in D&D are performers that's are sort of a jack of all trades, with a little bit of magic but also melee skills

10 - the Lady of Pain ( she's the guardian of dimensions or something and not as evil as the name might imply though she's not a character I know much more about personally)

11 - Szazz Tam ( an evil undead Lich and leader of the nation of Thay, he was an antagonist in the D&D movie ( Honour among thieves))

12- Tasha the Witch Queen ( a human witch who has made many powerful spells and has ascended to power beyond humanity)

1-6 and 9 are all player characters ( basically when playing you pick a class ( paladin, bard, sorcerer etc) and a race ( Dwarf, Half-Elf, Aarakocra, Githzerai etc) so what they've done is pick a few combinations to make with parts that are designed to easily swapped to customise characters ( so no skin printed on the torsoes etc). 

7 is a generic enemy and 8,10,11 and 12 are named characters mostly enemies.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Agent Kallus

Posted (edited)

The cmf are nowhere near as useful to me as I had hoped. I will probably get a couple of two of them for figures, and a few other the others to use as parts. But I won't be buying boxes now I've seen them.

Is no 2, 3, 6 and 9  made to be male or female? The first face looks male and the second face looks female or vice versa. A good change if it is. 

Edited by MAB

32 minutes ago, MAB said:

Is no 2, 3, 6 and 9  made to be male or female? The first face looks male and the second face looks female or vice versa. A good change if it is. 

Yes, although it's number 1 and 5, not 6.

It looks like that according to the character sheets in the promotional pictures that the rogue is an Orc, not a half-Orc and that the fighter is a Gnome.

Of course that has literally no effect on how one can use these figures or Thier constituent parts, I just thought it was interesting.

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you! I played a bit of DnD in high school but I couldn't remember any of the races beyond the normal fantasy ones. (Humans, halflings, dwarves, elves, etc.)

Official images of the set are out on the Legoleak reddit.

As someone who does not know much about the game I must ask: What is the many-legged creature on the shield? 

It looks great in the life style shots.

I wonder why they did the large tree in black, but the smaller trees in brown?

The blue/purple roof and the red/orange dragon are really nice updates to the design as a set, although I can also appreciate the original, especially with the dragon wrapped around the tower.

6 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

As someone who does not know much about the game I must ask: What is the many-legged creature on the shield? 

A displacer beast - the set features a brick-built one (the dark thing with tentacles). Think of a dark-furred, six-legged panther with tentacles and you kinda know what it should look like ;)

19 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

It looks great in the life style shots.

I wonder why they did the large tree in black, but the smaller trees in brown?

I would guess they did the other trees in brown because that is the more natural look - and the big tree in black because it was done that way in the fan design - and it might also be a link to the older Sets and Lion Knights Castle where they have done it the same way - also possible it was easier for them because more of the parts needed might be Production than in brown.

43 minutes ago, Cyprinus said:

A displacer beast - the set features a brick-built one (the dark thing with tentacles). Think of a dark-furred, six-legged panther with tentacles and you kinda know what it should look like ;)

Thank you. I have learned something new today.

8 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Hope this helps

This is immensely helpful for us uninitiated: thank you!

Been following and voted for this set since the day it was created, was going to pick it up day one but just bought an insane ultra agents/dino 2012 lot for $300 DX this is why I never should have redownloaded eBay :((( With Baradur being a must won't be picking up this d&d set for awhile 

Posted (edited)

Very interestingly the set's official press release confirms the CMF for September.

1 hour ago, williejm said:

This is immensely helpful for us uninitiated: thank you!

3 hours ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

Yes, thank you! I played a bit of DnD in high school but I couldn't remember any of the races beyond the normal fantasy ones. (Humans, halflings, dwarves, elves, etc.)

Official images of the set are out on the Legoleak reddit.

Glad to have been helpful :classic:

2 hours ago, Cyprinus said:

And they also show up in the 'Honour among thieves movie' ( which is actually an incredible film IMO, I was a bit uncertain about them doing a poor job but they knocked it out of the park) if you watch that. You can see one in the high sun games.

Edited by Agent Kallus