Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

I feel Lego stripped the set of all the tonal aspects and colour scheme that was one of the core aspects of the appeal, how the design took itself seriously. It reminds me of what they did to the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set. They've stripped it of the visuals that appeal to the primary demographic. Instead they've just applied an asthetic for another theme - in this case going along with their lion knights castle or more cartoony fantasy sets.

The official set looks like it's a childrens cartoon version of Dungeons & Dragons despite its primary audience both due to concept and pricing being late teens/adults. Like many other Lego sets, this one feels like it does not understand the target audience. As for the build itself, the Dragon is excellent. The rest of the build is a downsized, less detailed and more cramped situation. I don't see the justification for people to get it as opposed to just finding a way to acquire the Dragon seperately and depicting the Dragon alongside other sets.

Usually when higher resolution images appear the set looks better, but I'm not so sure on this one. It does feel a bit too small. Only by a bit, but there's something about it that lacks detail. Still excited to see it in-person and from more angles, but it may be less tempting. Hmmm...

Interesting that it has a DLC adventure.

9 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

I feel Lego stripped the set of all the tonal aspects and colour scheme that was one of the core aspects of the appeal, how the design took itself seriously. It reminds me of what they did to the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set. They've stripped it of the visuals that appeal to the primary demographic. Instead they've just applied an asthetic for another theme - in this case going along with their lion knights castle or more cartoony fantasy sets.

The official set looks like it's a childrens cartoon version of Dungeons & Dragons despite its primary audience both due to concept and pricing being late teens/adults. Like many other Lego sets, this one feels like it does not understand the target audience. As for the build itself, the Dragon is excellent. The rest of the build is a downsized, less detailed and more cramped situation. I don't see the justification for people to get it as opposed to just finding a way to acquire the Dragon seperately and depicting the Dragon alongside other sets.

They've made it more cartoony but the most important parts of the set are still there in my opinion

So far the set looks good to me. Not really a fan of how the inn is done, but the dragon looks great.

5 hours ago, Scarilian said:

I feel Lego stripped the set of all the tonal aspects and colour scheme that was one of the core aspects of the appeal, how the design took itself seriously. It reminds me of what they did to the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set. They've stripped it of the visuals that appeal to the primary demographic.

Or they believe the demographics of people that will buy this is much wider than you think.

Posted (edited)

Many people complain about everything: colors, details, size, price, etc., but I will say that I like it. I like the color scheme more than the original because it's not so boring and immediately catches the eye. It's more fairy-tale-like, but that doesn't mean it's for children. Also, the red dragon is more iconic to D&D than the green one, and I like this change.
I also don't understand complaining about details. For example, the trees in the original are either old casts of conifers and a large tree built like in the old Forestman sets from the 90s. In the new version there are cool conifers using fern parts from 10316 and a larger tree built in the style of 10305. Not to mention such things as the great Tiamat's shrine, nicer dock, etc.
Many people also complain that the set is smaller. Maybe they're right here, but when I look at it, the width is similar, but the whole set is a bit lower. I would say that the tower itself is the same size, but the rock on which it stands is set a little lower, which makes Beholder's cave also a little lower. The dragon is also a bit smaller, but I like it better. In addition to being a better species of dragon, it has more organic shapes and fabric wings. the green dragon from the original looks a bit like a set that could have been released by the Creator series, but had a better range of movements and posing.
As for the price, it is indeed a bit expensive, but you should remember that licensed sets have their own rules. The price increase is also influenced by the large number of new prints(love beholder Shield), large fabric dragon wings and capes for the minifigures. Additionally, the set includes many more iconic monsters. Apart to the dragon and Beholder, we will also get an owlbear, a displacer beast, a gelatinous cube, skeletons, Black Puddings, myconids, kraken tentacles and something else may be hidden. I wonder what's hidden behind the door of the little tower. Overall, if I use my insiders points and add a GWP mimic, I think it's worth it.

P.S. It is worth noting that the set is also accompanied by an exclusive campaign, which probably also affects the price.

Edited by Nilker

Posted (edited)

I see on more new character : the innkeeper + 3.5 skeletons.

Also, the figure with golden armor seems to be either male or female according to the different pictures (has various hairpieces + beard option).

Edited by Khargeust

50 minutes ago, Nilker said:

Many people also complain that the set is smaller. Maybe they're right here, but when I look at it, the width is similar, but the whole set is a bit lower. I would say that the tower itself is the same size, but the rock on which it stands is set a little lower, which makes Beholder's cave also a little lower.

It is actually funny when people complain about the Set beeing smaller, when it is often criticized, that they would be to big. And overall I would say the size difference isn´t that big - the inn looks a bit smaller and maybe the width of the whole Set is a bit smaller also, and you are right about the rocks, though I think the tower itself is actually bigger than in the fan design.

50 minutes ago, Nilker said:

The dragon is also a bit smaller, but I like it better. In addition to being a better species of dragon, it has more organic shapes and fabric wings. the green dragon from the original looks a bit like a set that could have been released by the Creator series, but had a better range of movements and posing.

I like both Dragons, but the green one was build to fit around the tower, which looks really good, but when you have the dragon on itself, the wings just look terrible really - whereas the red dragons wings look much better, though he wouldn´t fit around the tower like the green one, which also is something that many complained about, but I actually think this was a good choice.

In the end there are always things that are better in either the fan design or the Set and it is pretty much based on your own tastes. There are some neat details in the set and things like the dragon that I like there, but also things like the inn that were better in the fan design. I guess there was a reason for the roof design of the inn, since it looks really strange but I can´t say what that would be. I guess the Designer interview will show.

Have to say I’m disappointed, the initial ideas submission looks far better. To me it almost looks like Lego from a couple of decades ago, sort of lazy and basic. Maybe I will feel different when it’s officially released but given the recent excellent designs of Rivendell,Lions Castle, Viking Village etc this seems …. Less so especially given the price. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, kuzyabricks said:

Picture of the box just leaked. Awesome interior, dragon has back legs and figures look great. Will definitely be picking it up!!

[Redacted]

Here is the link! (Hope it's allowed)

It's modular too which I am very pleased with. Am personally going to convert this into either a black falcon tower or a crown knights tower (2008 faction) Will decide once I pick up the set. $360 seems a little steep but that's Lego for yah

You should probably remove the link because the mods don't want direct links to leaks, though discussing them and saying where to find them is A-OK.

As for the actual set, in a word 'incredible' !

Glad that I was right about the gelatinous cube, love the other little monsters too. Considering stuff like the myconids and armoured skeletons it mean whilst we might only a few actual minifigs we do get more non-minifig figures ( like how I wouldn't call the Lego battle droid a minifig but it's not nothing either)

45 minutes ago, Khargeust said:

I see on more new character : the innkeeper + 3.5 skeletons.

Also, the figure with golden armor seems to be either male or female according to the different pictures (has various hairpieces + beard option).

I imagine most of the 'player character' minifigs will have that feature, which is nice.

Also interested that the cloaked villain appears to also be the tavern keeper.

A campaign to go with the set is fun, though I must I admit when I've played 90% of the time it's been 'homebrew' improvised campaigns, and I've never DM'd a premade campaign.

Edited by Agent Kallus

I will get this, but it is no longer a day one purchase as it has lost the wow factor compared to the fan design. For me the color scheme change is a major downer, and the dragon losts its appeal. But still a good set.

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

Also interested that the cloaked villain appears to also be the tavern keeper.

You can notice that in the inn, the door leading to the "back room" leads straight to the beholder's cave. Perhaps the innkeeper's story is deeper and darker than we think ;). By the way, I counted 5 new door molds in the set and it's great.

Posted (edited)

I hope its not 3.5 skeletons, Hopefully the arms and legs for that 4th skeleton are scattered somewhere in the set like lego does in some sets, scattered bones would certainly fit the look and feel

edit: just noticed number 4 has at least 1 arm, and there is what looks like something white beside the pillar, and maybe a white hand or leg clip visible in the cube? So it feels like probably 4 full skeletons in total

Edited by Ixen Darastrix

Didn't take long for more details to emerge on the minifigs as well (see reddit). I wonder why the leakers can never take pictures at a right angle and at a decent enough quality. And how about using an image host instead of instagram for once... :))

One thing that's nice ( and would help of used it when actually playing D&D ) is that all the areas are properly connected with paths the minifigs can use be it stairs doors or ladders. I do wonder what's inside the small tower connected to the main structure by the bridge.

I wonder what race the rogue is meant to be. They look grey skinned but the pictures are HD so it's still hard to tell. 

1 hour ago, Nilker said:

You can notice that in the inn, the door leading to the "back room" leads straight to the beholder's cave. Perhaps the innkeeper's story is deeper and darker than we think ;). By the way, I counted 5 new door molds in the set and it's great.

Perhaps he stole a dragon egg and that's what attracted the red dragon's ire. 

3 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I imagine most of the 'player character' minifigs will have that feature, which is nice.

Looks the halfing fighter also has a two sided two gendered head. Though this is a lot better for the CMF than the set as one is likely to get multiples of the CMF figures, less so of the set.

Posted (edited)

Looks like we might be getting almost every class with bard as the only overlap between set and CMF. List below ( with some assumptions).

Artificer - None but it's not one of the main 5e players handbook ones anyway

Barbarian - Dwarf: CMF

Bard - Dragonborn: Set, Half-Elf: CMF

Cleric - Dwarf: Set

Druid - Halfling: CMF

Fighter - Halfing: Set 

Monk - none as far as I can tell.

Paladin - Dragonborn: CMF

Ranger - Aarakocra: CMF

Rogue - Really unsure, it could be a short Goliath or something type of Genasi or a Drow or a half-Orc or something else entirely: Set

Sorcerer- Tiefling: CMF

Warlock - Githyanki: CMF

Wizard - Elf: Set

The races and classes for the set ones were guesses ( though the dragonborn bard is pretty obvious), so the halfling fighter might actually be intended to be a gnomish paladin for example.

Edit: saw the close up pictures from Reddit that @R0Sch mentioned ( weirdly enough they're in a comment and not their own post) and the grey skinned rogue is definitely a half-Orc.

Edited by Agent Kallus

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Didn't take long for more details to emerge on the minifigs as well (see reddit). I wonder why the leakers can never take pictures at a right angle and at a decent enough quality. And how about using an image host instead of instagram for once... :))

Instagram is much more convenient and gains a lot more traction nowadays 

15 hours ago, Scarilian said:

I actually like the set.  I don't agree with your statement.  I feel completely justified in getting this set I like the dragon and all the brick built creatures.  I like the design and the layout of the set.  I agree that it is downsized and the dark red roof did look better but I still think it's a great set that has charm and a story to tell.  

Posted (edited)

So do we know the UK Price?

(Also I was inspired by this set today, making a second BG3 character ( I'm doing a Co-Op run with my sister) and I made my character a green dragonborn bard.)

Edited by Agent Kallus

Is it bad I actually like the finished set more than the original design? Like yeah, it's smaller and less moody, but I love the brighter fantastical colours and the dragon feels so much more like a classic DnD dragon. However, still not picking it up due to the price.

One thing I’m noticing that I really love is that none of the outfits have any skin showing on them, so you could easily swap around the heads to change the composition of the party . . well, except for the halfling probably but it’s still very much appreciated. 

23 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

One thing I’m noticing that I really love is that none of the outfits have any skin showing on them, so you could easily swap around the heads to change the composition of the party . . well, except for the halfling probably but it’s still very much appreciated. 

It seems to be that way and the upcoming CMF in September will be that way also.  This will make for an insane amount of customization of figs.  All the prints and printed legs look great.  I actually can't wait to get this set on the 1st.  

I’m not sure but is the short gold chain the dwarf has a new mould? The end which connects to the silver ball is upright like a sink plug with an anti-stud on the bottom to connect the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Bugbot20082 said:

I’m not sure but is the short gold chain the dwarf has a new mould? The end which connects to the silver ball is upright like a sink plug with an anti-stud on the bottom to connect the ball. 

No I don't believe so there have been short chains before like that. I believe that ball has a hole at the bottom and the stud from the chain is where the ball fits onto.