Ngoc Nguyen

42171 Mercedes-AMG F1 W14 E Performance

46 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Maybe it's a bit early to jump on conclusions like that? The set clearly has shock absorbers, it also has pullrod suspension at the rear, and has HOG added. There's no cutout over the engine, but a removeable section, and we got the slick tires. Development compared to 42141 is clearly visible, so it's definitely not the same. We will have to wait and see with the set in hand if all these things are enough to have a decent build, but it's almost certainly better than the McLaren. 

Yes yes, I already revised the misinformation. At the time there were no official images available.

That so called "development" is reflected in the price as well, so "better" is relative.

19 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

That so called "development" is reflected in the price as well, so "better" is relative.

You are right, we need to wait and see if it is "better overall", but it's certainly not "worse in terms of functions" :) 

The bump on the front seems to be here to let the direction axis go under it. It's strange that TLG did not find another solution.

The pullback version looks better. :laugh:

17 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Thanks. I now found the high resolution assets from LEGO newsroom and the red shock absorbers are visible. Double row?!

*snip*

That's just the opposite one reflecting off the beam

Well, this is a no for me. Did not buy first one, will not buy that one. They are so far, far from the ~2000's if we compare what Lego could do back then and now. However I do welcome new tires, always :D

Yeah, other than the new tyres , wheel covers, and spoiler panels, I have the parts to build this set (without stickers) so I’m not sure why I would buy it.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:31 AM, R0Sch said:

It's not just you. It's a reskin with a 10% price increase. Not even an attempt to add some details to the engine, let alone a gearbox or some sort of different function to the McLaren. At least they didn't print the wrong model year on the box this time.
LEGO-Technic-42171-Mercedes-AMG-F1-W14-E

Let´s not forget that the McLaren was almost a 100% price increase over 42000 with about 25% more pieces.

59 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Let´s not forget that the McLaren was almost a 100% price increase over 42000 with about 25% more pieces.

42000's RRP was $130 in 2013, which is worth around $160 in 2022, when 42141 was released for $200. Not sure about your math, but 160*1.25=200

I'm surprised it's not the 2021 Mercedes F1 car, the W12, or one of the championship winning cars. The rear tyres need to be wider and those curvy plates on the front nose should not be there. The driver would not see the track if they were ona real F1 car. I like the pull back model and will look out for both in the shops.

I'll be waiting to buy just the tires and potentially the rim covers. Its a shame TLG didnt add anything more unique to this, and IMO this set is meant for collectors and displayers more than builders. The tires almost make it tempting, but then everything else is fairly uninteresting. A daytona diff in the rear might have helped it sell more as a parts pack.

17 hours ago, kbalage said:

42000's RRP was $130 in 2013, which is worth around $160 in 2022, when 42141 was released for $200. Not sure about your math, but 160*1.25=200

I work in Euros so 42000 was 100  euros or 80 GBP back in the day - half what the McLaren cost. USD has appreciated a lot since 2013 so the price increases there are not as much as in EUR or GBP, for instance.

Edited by valenciaeric

7 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I wonder who will make drag race car using that tire.

I'd certainly like to attempt a drag car using those lovely looking slicks!  I don't know whether I'll be able to afford the set when released (have to wait and see). But i think a drag racing car (maybe not quite a pro-mod but something more street), would look insanely good using those slicks on the rear, then the wheels from the Creator Vespa set used as skinny front wheels. :D

Things the CADA alfa romeo f1 does better:

• Printed tires
  • Narrower front tires compared to the rear
  • Reinforced differential
  • 4 shocks on rear not 2
  • Disc brake wheel hubs
  • 226 more pices
  • Printed wheel covers
  • Will probably be cheaper
  • No color vomit (i.e mostly black internal parts)
  • Optional Motorizatiom

The cada version also doesn't have:

• Reinforced CV joints
  • Reinforced wheel hubs (from 42160)
  • A gearbox
  • A flappy paddle shifteR
  • Removable nose
  • Fake electric motor (as far as I can tell)

What's even more interesting is that the Buwizz channel on youtube added a bu-wizz 3.0 and 2 buwizz motors while retaining the cockpit space, keeping the engine, steering, suspention, etc

and yet there was still space under the engine for a gearbox, and also this MOC has a working flappy paddle shifter, 8 speec gearbox, engine, steering, diff, and it uses 4 of the shocks from set 42143! IN BOUND!

Edited by SNIPE

2 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

Optional Motorization

It can but for some reason doesn't mention in instruction.

2 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

It can but for some reason doesn't mention in instruction.

Oh WOW!. this is amazing

Edited by SNIPE

For me…

CaDA Alfa Romeo F1 is the best looking one, but I couldn’t care less about Alfa Romeo. (And they’ve left the sport now)

LEGO McLaren F1 is the worst looking one, but McLaren is my favourite team. 

LEGO Mercedes F1 is the middle ground both as a set and as a team that I like.

I look forward to seeing if @LukasRSDesign uses the slick tyres on any of his future F1 Mocs

By my rough calculations from measuring pixels, the new tires have a diameter of around 80mm.

To fit into the existing tire sizes, they could be 81.6 mm.

Edited by Aurorasaurus

This is some kind of evolution of mclaren. And I will buy this and build it. mclaren I bought just as investment, as that is original pirelli.

But 42000 still was much better, even it was not branded, did not had specific parts/panels etc.

40 minutes ago, Jurss said:

This is some kind of evolution of mclaren.

Is it though? From what I've seen, the front and rear axles are constructed similarly.

I wrote "some kind". This has HOG steering, I think maclaren didn't had, there are finally more proper tires, also paneling looks better, that halo looks somehow better. Yes, suspension is almost the same as in first similar set - silver champion. There are not much options with the same suspension arms.

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

suspension is almost the same

Rear axle is pullrod instead of pushrod this time

1 hour ago, Bensch55 said:

Rear axle is pullrod instead of pushrod this time

Yes, because W14 had a pullrod suspension at the rear, but this years W15 had switchrd to pushrod (like seen on Aston Martin AMR24) due to aerodynamic reasons.