Ngoc Nguyen

42180 Mars Crew Exploration Rover

im excited for this set since it seems to be focusing on playability rather than looks. seems like the right direction to me. still stumped on the orange and grey logo thing though

Thanks for creating the topics.

I am excited for the entire space series. That will probably be an all at once purchase.

The amount of functions and stuff with this set is great. And great to have an actual theme in a single year. I can see the classic space logo on this but not the ship and loader.

8 minutes ago, MangaNOID said:

Is there a crew size discrepancy thing going on with the front seats and the relaxing quarters?

It's still acceptable. I think that there will be a bigger scale issue between sets.

Looks like the terraforming truck from Alien: Covenant, especially from the back. And here I was expecting the RT rover from Prometheus!

Edited by Maaboo the Witch

30 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Any idea what the "body extension" function is for?

I think it combines with the module from 42181 to expand the space.

The amount of system parts (2 containers and whole interior) is really something special here. I appreciate details made by technic parts with few system elements, but here, they went full on :D 

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Any idea what the "body extension" function is for?

See it in the other way. Body retraction. To fit better in a spaceship.

It is really cool!

1 hour ago, MangaNOID said:

Is there a crew size discrepancy thing going on with the front seats and the relaxing quarters?

Minifigs fit into the panels pretty well. And it makes sense to have a bigger chair in the cockpit than in the kitchen.

4 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Steering link on front hub looks like 5L.

Unfortunately I don't think so, the whole assembly is at least 13 but rather 15 wide, so 6L links will do just fine.. On the other hand it has Ackermann steering geometry implemented in front of the axle by moving the steering point outer than the pivot point (actually it seems to be 2 studs outer, which is way too much). I guess they only did it just to be able to use those 6L links (which is just lame)..

3 hours ago, Akbalder said:

Do you see which part is "pluggable" with the other space sets?

The connector is behind the living quarters (which have a toilet that's cooler than the ones from City, but I digress). Which of course implies you can only attach something when the rover is stretched out. But this set does not look to have something that 'comes off' which you can then add to the other sets. Unless the entire living quarters can come off, but then I'd have expected them to show it on the box.

I'm also totally convinced the City Space components will fit too. They use after all the same orangy connector.

Has a - interconnectivity - crossover between themes ever been done before by LEGO?

(BTW, as a kid, this lineup would have had me in ER, on oxygen supply, and attached to a heart monitor. As an adult evidently not as much because these really are playsets first and Technic sets second)

Edited by JimDude

23 minutes ago, JimDude said:

these really are playsets first and Technic sets second

This. On the other hand, technic parts do seem to fit the theme well I think.

One more detail I noticed. There's a toilet in the top right corner of the interior. First toilet in a Technic set?

15 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

One more detail I noticed. There's a toilet in the top right corner of the interior. First toilet in a Technic set?

Reminds me of a rather specific scene in The Martian.

What I like is idea to use brake disc as wheel hub caps...

Edited by 1gor