MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

27 minutes ago, Dr.Cogg said:

Picture of what the ship looks like in Star wars:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/1c/Scimitar-USC.png/revision/latest?cb=20190604143506 

I was hoping that the new version of the Sith Infiltrator would be an improvement over the last two, but this one looks like a downgrade. For me its the shaping and the price. 

After seeing EvilKirk's Scimitar in minifig scale. Then these smaller can look OK, but not great.

It pretty much looks exactly like what I’d expect a downscaled Scimitar to be to be honest, which is to say it’s fine. Whether or not I buy it will depend on whether Darth Maul’s Bloodfin speeder is also included, it’s essential for the scene the set is based on.

It’s  weird to give Qui-Gon his poncho (makes me hopeful that the Ahsoka the white variant this summer will have one too) but not a hood and cape for Darth Maul. 

I do think LSW as a theme generally struggles to get ship sizes right though, even within budgetary constraints. Ships that should be small and nimble (e.g. Mando’s N-1, Shin’s Fiend Fighter etc.) are oversized, whilst larger ships are often undersized.

Saw looks cool, but I’ll wait for higher quality pictures to form a final opinion. Looks like the Scimitar will have some sort of drop function to plop out those probe droids.

Sith infiltrator was the only set I looked forward to the most this year not counting the Mandalorian battle pack.
The build looks horrible, the price is even worse cause we are paying $15 for the "free" anniversary figure.
No Panaka that was rumoured is criminal, only 3 figures for the only The Phantom Menace anniversary set with figures for 25 years is so outrageous.
Do not want or need Saw Guerrera, but I have to ask why are they not using the Echo (from Marvel) leg piece for him? Why are we still not using the monkey kid hilt for Maul? Why Fives wasn't in this set and Saw in the New Hope/Rogue one hallway?
No special tile or a brick showing Maul or something special from The Phantom Menace to celebrate the anniversary like Return of the jedi got last year.
25 years since the movie and we still do not have majority of the characters and the ships from the movie.
Idk how anyone can support or have excuses for this absolute thrash that's thrown to us for premium prices.

3 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Sith infiltrator was the only set I looked forward to the most this year not counting the Mandalorian battle pack.
The build looks horrible, the price is even worse cause we are paying $15 for the "free" anniversary figure.
No Panaka that was rumoured is criminal, only 3 figures for the only The Phantom Menace anniversary set with figures for 25 years is so outrageous.
Do not want or need Saw Guerrera, but I have to ask why are they not using the Echo (from Marvel) leg piece for him? Why are we still not using the monkey kid hilt for Maul? Why Fives wasn't in this set and Saw in the New Hope/Rogue one hallway?
No special tile or a brick showing Maul or something special from The Phantom Menace to celebrate the anniversary like Return of the jedi got last year.
25 years since the movie and we still do not have majority of the characters and the ships from the movie.
Idk how anyone can support or have excuses for this absolute thrash that's thrown to us for premium prices.

No offense, but some of these complaints are pretty unreasonable and others are misdirected.

Putting aside the fact that I have no clue where you're pulling $15 from (but seriously, what?), I think it's pretty clear the anniversary figures are not the issue. Lego could and would have sold us this set, with three figs, for $70. They've had worse prices. That doesn't make it not an issue, but the fact that they're giving us anniversary figures isn't what the issue is- it's the prices, and based on the other revealed sets with 25th figures, there's no reason to assume they're playing a significant role in price inflation. The issue isn't that Saw Guerra is adding an oddly specific and high cost to the set, it's that lego's inflated prices significantly.

The system sets don't have special anniversary bricks or tiles. This might be a reasonable complaint for the droideka or podrace diorama, but it doesn't really make sense for the infiltrator. There was no reason to expect it would have one. 

Again on the minifigures, the complaint about not enough is just not realistic expectations.  I post this *standing* in the LEGO SW aisle (yes, really), and the non-location sets I see in front of me are:

Mando N-1 - $60, 2 figures + Grogu + BD droid (basically 2 figs)

Ahsoka’s T-6 - $80, 4 figs

Gunship - $140, 5 figs

AT-TE - $140, 5 figs + 3 battle droids

Falcon - $160, 5 figs + R2 + D-0

Mando Fang Fighter - $100, 3 figs + astromech

TIE Bomber - $65, 3 figs + Gonk droid

Spider Tank - $50, 2 figs + Grogu

Yoda’s fighter - $35, 1 fig + R2

Pirate Snub fighter - $35, 2 figs

Obi-Wan’s fighter - $30, 2 figs + astromech

And then 3 battle packs.  Whether you agree or not, 3-4 figures in a $50-$100 set is pretty much par for the course at this point.  Even going back a few years, the Imperial Shuttle, General Grievous’ Fighter, the X-Wing, they all followed that pattern too.

Not too thrilled on design for the Sith Infiltrator. The front of the nose isn't too bad but the back half that connects to the cockpit just looks incredibly awkward. Don't really like the new build for the Sith Probe Droids either. They look too flat and boxy compared to the previous design from the 2015 set.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

Again on the minifigures, the complaint about not enough is just not realistic expectations.

For me its more an issue with the Phantom Menace sets as a whole and not the Sith Infiltrator specifically. TPM sets are few and far between these days and only getting three minifigures for the film's 25th Anniversary just doesn't cut it.

Lego has been doing a fantastic job at covering highly requested characters from other parts of the franchise and continues to remain on top of their game for the Original Trilogy, Clone Wars and Mandoverse. It just becomes frustrating that The Phantom Menace still remains neglected when it comes to proper minifigure coverage.

41 minutes ago, wesker said:

For me its more an issue with the Phantom Menace sets as a whole and not the Sith Infiltrator specifically. TPM sets are few and far between these days and only getting three minifigures for the film's 25th Anniversary just doesn't cut it.

Lego has been doing a fantastic job at covering highly requested characters from other parts of the franchise and continues to remain on top of their game for the Original Trilogy, Clone Wars and Mandoverse. It just becomes frustrating that The Phantom Menace still remains neglected when it comes to proper minifigure coverage.

I think that's a fair gripe, my main point is just to highlight that, in all honesty, I really don't know where the expectation of lots and lots of figures in medium-sized ship builds is coming from, since it's pretty much never been the case.  Just going back to some random sets to further cement my point - The Twilight (2008, $100, two figures + R2 + Rotta the Huttlet); 20th Anniversary Slave I (2019, $120, 5 figures including an anniversary fig); Resistance Troop Transport (2015, $70, 4 figures); Solo TIE Fighter (2018, $70, 4 figures).  

Vehicles are a bit of a crapshoot as it is with minifigure amounts, but the general rule for the past, say, 5-10 years seems to have been 3-4 figures and maybe a droid if it's less than $100 (and this obviously does not include battle packs).  There are examples of sets that may have had a 5th figure, but realistically expecting anything beyond 4 for this set isn't super realistic.  It's entirely possible that if this wasn't a 25th anniversary set, it would've literally just been Anakin, Qui-Gon, and Maul.

I like the sith infiltrator, I'm glad they're making it smaller this time, the 2015 one was fat and bloated. It is pricey, but whatever I guess not like I expected anything less these days. As for the figs, I'm honestly fine with the three, I'm lucky enough to have a lot of phantom menace figs but don't have characters like watto which would have been a nice inclusion for this set like the 2015 infiltrator.

The main thing I don't like, and don't Lynch my guys but I watched mandr's video on the set leaked image, and I agree with what he pointed out, the middle rifle sticks up way too high and needs to be lower by 1 or 2 plates. Otherwise imo the build is really nice looking.

My final gripe is the saw gerrera Minifigure, I know we don't have HD photos yet but he is just wayyyy too green, like it's actually off-putting to me how green be is, it just doesn't look good from not only an accuracy standpoint but an aesthetic colouring standpoint too. I want to love it I really do and I'll try, but that colour might be an insurmountable gripe. Maybe if it leans heavily into the sand green I'll be fine with it but I'm not sure, maybe it's just the box art saturation making him look brighter green than he actually is, who knows.

28 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Vehicles are a bit of a crapshoot as it is with minifigure amounts, but the general rule for the past, say, 5-10 years seems to have been 3-4 figures and maybe a droid if it's less than $100 (and this obviously does not include battle packs).  There are examples of sets that may have had a 5th figure, but realistically expecting anything beyond 4 for this set isn't super realistic.  It's entirely possible that if this wasn't a 25th anniversary set, it would've literally just been Anakin, Qui-Gon, and Maul.

You're right about the standards that are in place for LSW, 4 minifigs for a $70 ship is fairly typical these days. Of course, I think most of us would like to see more, and I find it disappointing that Lego sort of skimps out on minifigure numbers so often.

As mentioned by another user, the real issue is arguably the lack of TPM minfigs overall. Lego is only releasing 1 playset for the movie's 25th anniversary, and that 1 set only includes 3 characters from the film itself. On top of that, these three characters are all retreads with nothing much new or exciting - you can essentially buy similar figs on Bricklink for reasonable prices.

Think of all the other possibilities we're missing out on: new Padme costumes, an updated Panaka or Nute Gunray, TPM C-3PO, Shmi, Boss Nass, updated Jar-Jar or Sebulba, TPM Palpatine, Watto, Chancellor Valorum, new Naboo pilots or guards, the list goes on. But instead of us getting ANY of these characters to celebrate 25 years, we're looking at another Sith Infiltrator with pretty much the 3 default characters it could include.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Qui-Gon to be here with his poncho again, but there have been a dozen Maul figures over the years, and young Anakin isn't anything special (compared to many other Anakin variants they could make).

Sigh, I guess we'll try again in 2029 :(

42 minutes ago, Minishark2000 said:

My final gripe is the saw gerrera Minifigure, I know we don't have HD photos yet but he is just wayyyy too green, like it's actually off-putting to me how green be is, it just doesn't look good from not only an accuracy standpoint but an aesthetic colouring standpoint too. I want to love it I really do and I'll try, but that colour might be an insurmountable gripe. Maybe if it leans heavily into the sand green I'll be fine with it but I'm not sure, maybe it's just the box art saturation making him look brighter green than he actually is, who knows.

Not enough people are talking about this. He's aggressively green. He makes the lego House Atreides uniforms look like a dull color choice. He's the guy that won't shut up about how he carpools and uses re-usable grocery bags. He swims in the chicago river on St. Patrick's day. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wesker said:

Not too thrilled on design for the Sith Infiltrator. The front of the nose isn't too bad but the back half that connects to the cockpit just looks incredibly awkward. Don't really like the new build for the Sith Probe Droids either. They look too flat and boxy compared to the previous design from the 2015 set.

And it's not just the Phantom Menace, it's the entire prequel trilogy that gets neglected, in fact I think Attack of the Clones gets it even worse. I just bought the Bounty Hunter Pursuit from bricklink for $70 because I've long since given up on LEGO ever remaking that set and I've pretty much given up ever getting Jango Fett's Slave I. Dare I even mention the lack of a Petranaki arena. That said, I've been itching to get Sebulba's Podracer for quite a long time too. I'll probably break down and get the fantastic 2011 set at some point. Maybe someday they'll realize there is a big market and demand for prequel sets from the generation that grew up with them but sadly it won't be any time soon. 

Anyway, I'll probably end up getting this new Scimitar because it's one of my favorite ships in all of Star Wars and its smaller size would give me a bit more space on the wall for other ships if I replace the 2015 version. I have all my ships mounted on the walls in my LEGO room using the LEGO art bracket pieces. I still need to see better pictures of the Scimitar from different angles and see the interior for a final judgement though. I do think it's at least an appropriate size and I really like how the cockpit window is done. That's definitely the worst part of the 2015 version in my opinion, and heck most LEGO versions have done a bad job with the cockpit window. 

Now I'm just waiting to see the Grogu rescue set. I'm hoping it's a decent build. It might be the only set I actually pick up on release since it's fairly cheap and desirable and the May 4th patch and keychain are worthless and definitely not worth spending a ton of money to get.

Edited by ToaDraco

one thing I think would have been a good idea for this year, instead of another UCS Tie fighter, how about a UCS Sith Infiltarater for the 25th anniversary. 

7 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

Do we know when the Captain Rex Microfighter will release?

June. I might get it. But I’m going to prioritise Fives because he’s probably never gonna show up in another set again after the Tantive hallway retires. Whilst with Rex, Lego’s probably going to make some more sets with him in the future.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Not enough people are talking about this. He's aggressively green. He makes the lego House Atreides uniforms look like a dull color choice. He's the guy that won't shut up about how he carpools and uses re-usable grocery bags. He swims in the chicago river on St. Patrick's day. 

He’s got to get the luck he needs for running a partisan rebellion somehow.

But jokes aside he is a little too green. But otherwise it looks like a good figure. Especially since it looks like Lego remembered to include a metal toe print. (And no he didn’t need an amputee leg because he’s always wearing trousers over his robot leg)

I had had enough with Hasbro’s BS about 10 years ago and jumped ship to Lego.  I’ve been pretty happy, until the last few years. Lego prices are insane. Where I once bought almost every sets each year because I could afford it, for the last few years I have picked and chosen VERY carefully. I REALLY need to have a set before even thinking about it and honestly most of what they have been producing I find way to expensive and just plain bad sets no matter how they try to gift wrap them and make them seem special. So far nothing this year, waiting to see the Summer battle packs.  I was able to pick up some stuff last Fall when there were sales all over.  Saved quite a bit.  Except for an occasional outlier set, picking stuff up during the holiday sales, even if they are a year on shelf, works just fine for me.  While lego has always been an expensive hobby, I think there are some of us feeling priced out at these levels.

The diorama looks nice enough when you forget that it's not a MOC but an actual set (costing 80 euros at that). The droideka looks good but I'm not interested in those large buildable droids (except when it includes Darth Malak... maybe). As for the Sith Infiltrator, I'm a Lego Star Wars fan since 1999 yet somehow I never got myself a system scale one. I might pick it up at a good discount. I don't think Saw Gerrera is that interesting a character but I don't mind him being included.

I personally actually like the Sith Infiltrator. While it’s a bit smaller than the last one and of course proportions are gonna be a bit affected by it, the detailing is there. I think it’s leagues better than all of them except the last one. But the last one was $90 USD back in 2015 which is like $120 now so it’s like near double the price of this bad boy. So I think given the big price discrepancy, the new one is a good deal imo. Same argument for the minifig debate, there’s four minifigs in the 2015 one and there’s three in this one (considering Saw is a bonus), so for a $50 drop off it’s not bad and in range with The Night Buzzard (cool name). Biggest problem for me is the eyes of Maul. So in totality I think the set is fine, I just don’t like Legos approach to these anniversaries where you only get like one system scale set for them and the rest are just dioramas and brickheads which I have no interest in. I think if there were more TPM system scale sets where Padme and Panaka could show up like a Flash Speeder or a Gungan Sub which also add more color to all these grey sets, people wouldn’t be complaining about it. I think they could of done a couple more TPM sets instead of a Dark Millennium Falcon or Jedi Bob’s Starfighter. 

Posted (edited)

After careful reflection, I still like the Infiltrator. 

Yes, I’m disappointed with the Maul figure, to some degree. Yes, there’s no confirmation if Maul’s speeder is there. Yes, it’s downscaled. 

But, I really like the design of this. I think the downscaling works because nobody wants to pay 90-100 which is where we were going with the last rendition. I personally don’t think the inclusion of a Padme or a Panaka would have made this more complete. Plus, that Saw Minifigure can be sold for probably atleast £20.

At the moment, I still need to see the interior and the back of the ship to decide whether this is a good set, but I’m happy enough with this. 

If you’ve been wanting a Maul for ages, I can understand being upset with the lack of cape and hood. 

I am doing my best in treating this set as objectively as possible, including ignoring the lack of TPM minifigures in other sets. What is or isn’t included in other sets should not influence my opinion on the set. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

The Infiltrator looks fine. Nothing spectacular for the fifth playscale  iteration of this ship. Some things look better than past models and some things don’t, but at the end of the day this is the least exciting of the TPM related sets this year to me. I do hope the speeder is included though and we just aren’t seeing it. I also agree from these blurry pics Saw looks way too green.

I wish they would have filled a TPM slot with a brand new build of a ship or scene from that movie that they’ve never ever done. Unlike with the OT, there are still so many PT ships and scenes that took a significant chunk of screen time that have never been represented at all…  

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The second I saw the set leaked I looked for your post, did not disappoint.

*artist’s bow* :grin:

Personally, I’m okay with Maul, Qui-Gon, and Ani being the only TPM minifigs in the set. Sure, Panaka or Padme would’ve been nice additions, but personally I feel the value is still there (especially with Saw included, but y’all knew I’d say that :laugh_hard:)

On the whole, I’m satisfied with the TPM content this year. Sure, it’s not all that much, but still more than what other movies got for their anniversaries :tongue: 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

27 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

On the whole, I’m satisfied with the TPM content this year. Sure, it’s not all that much, but still more than what other movies got for their anniversaries :tongue: 

Likewise, fingers crossed the brickheadz pack looks good. 

If they’ve done this many sets for arguably the worst prequel film, we are in for a treat next with ROTS’s 20th anniversary. 

22 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

22 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

No offense, but some of these complaints are pretty unreasonable and others are misdirected.

Putting aside the fact that I have no clue where you're pulling $15 from (but seriously, what?), I think it's pretty clear the anniversary figures are not the issue. Lego could and would have sold us this set, with three figs, for $70. They've had worse prices. That doesn't make it not an issue, but the fact that they're giving us anniversary figures isn't what the issue is- it's the prices, and based on the other revealed sets with 25th figures, there's no reason to assume they're playing a significant role in price inflation. The issue isn't that Saw Guerra is adding an oddly specific and high cost to the set, it's that lego's inflated prices significantly.

The system sets don't have special anniversary bricks or tiles. This might be a reasonable complaint for the droideka or podrace diorama, but it doesn't really make sense for the infiltrator. There was no reason to expect it would have one. 

I'm more with PreVisla on this one. But I'm quoting these two points of view  I as a reminder that each is entitled to his/her own opinion on a set. Agree or disagree with each other. But do it in a civil manner please.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Personally, I’m okay with Maul, Qui-Gon, and Ani being the only TPM minifigs in the set. Sure, Panaka or Padme would’ve been nice additions, but personally I feel the value is still there (especially with Saw included, but y’all knew I’d say that :laugh_hard:)

I always feel when they do a wave on a film that they need to do something new or different so in a way I’m  a little disappointed. A royal cruiser might have been more popular than another infiltrator. An MTT is long overdue (we might still get one maybe if there is an unknown set around the £100 mark) they could have even done an N1 and Vulture droid double pack starfighter double packs seem to be in fashion atm. I don’t want to go in to wishlisting but there is a lot they can do system scale wise with TPM maybe in another 5-7 years we might get something different 

15 hours ago, CloneCommando99 said:

He’s got to get the luck he needs for running a partisan rebellion somehow.

But jokes aside he is a little too green. But otherwise it looks like a good figure. Especially since it looks like Lego remembered to include a metal toe print. (And no he didn’t need an amputee leg because he’s always wearing trousers over his robot leg)

If you swim in the chicago river, not dying from the water uses up all the luck you gain from doing it on st patrick's day.

Oh yeah no you're 100% correct, it's a good figure overall. The green isn't realistically something they could have avoided- lego doesn't have colors muted to the extent they'd need besides just making saw black or gunmetal grey, which wouldn't work for the character either. 

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I was originally going to say that while I don't think it's because of the anniversary figure, it does look overpriced, but looking at it more... I actually think the price is fine. 4 figs and a build that does seem pretty sizable and solid when you actually look at the parts used.

I also agree that the TPM anniversary isn't as little as people are making it out to be. It's more or less the same as ROTJ.