MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I agree, the price for the podrace is awful, that high of a price (100 CAD) for a set of mostly 700 small pieces with nothing to justify it quite frankly, no minifigures, large molds, etc

2 hours ago, OOM-9 said:

The droideka model on the other hand looks fantastic and even if it has no articulation will be great on display. The mini fig size droideka may be the worst one ever. The legs are very weird and too distracting, and it has no neck gap unlike every previous model. The head is smashed right down onto the chest area. So bizarre they can’t get this right. The best droideka build remains the first one IMO. Close enough in looks and could fully roll up into a rough ball shape. 

Saying it's the worst one ever is hyperbolic and utterly absurd when the horrendous, giant 2011 exists. This is easily the 2nd best one they've done but that's not saying much. They've never done better than the original 1999 version but this one at least looks decent. The rest have been consistently awful. After 25 years it's clear that making a minifig-scale Droideka with regular parts and making it durable enough for LEGO standards is impossible and we all need to push for a set of specialized Droideka molds. It's long overdue. 

I hope this isn't the last diorama... so many great scenes to still be made. I love the medium.

24 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

Saying it's the worst one ever is hyperbolic and utterly absurd when the horrendous, giant 2011 exists. This is easily the 2nd best one they've done but that's not saying much. They've never done better than the original 1999 version but this one at least looks decent. The rest have been consistently awful. After 25 years it's clear that making a minifig-scale Droideka with regular parts and making it durable enough for LEGO standards is impossible and we all need to push for a set of specialized Droideka molds. It's long overdue. 

What?!! come on the 2011 one isn't bad, in fact I'd have to say this new one is imo the 2nd worst easily! I mean look at those legs, big chunky light grey claws. Ughh!

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Minishark2000 said:

What?!! come on the 2011 one isn't bad, in fact I'd have to say this new one is imo the 2nd worst easily! I mean look at those legs, big chunky light grey claws. Ughh!

No, the 2011 one is horrendous. I'm currently looking at a comparison of every singe one LEGO has made and it is by far the worst. Even the ugly, oversized 2007 version is better. The new one is a huge improvement over most of them. The worst part of it is the head beign smashed down onto the body but the rest is fine. I'm not surprised they used that claw piece for the legs on the new one, though I was hoping they would have used the new mech finger piece, that would have been so much better.

Edited by ToaDraco

Dioramas aren't my thing, but the terrain sculpting on this one is just fabulous. As for the droideka, the large one looks epic, and while the minfig-scale one is kinda the right size now, it looks like their only source material was the large one after they'd already finished it, and that it was definitely just an afterthought. The head looks goofy as heck, but the legs and blasters are quite good. Definitely seems like too much plastic up the top (chunky head) with not enough down the bottom (legs aren't connected to the round brown section that should be there).

The Droideka and Diorama look great!
Generally these aren't really my kind of sets, and I'll still skip the Droideka, but I might go for the diorama.
Especially if it comes with an interesting anniversary minifigure :devil: 

Regards,
Mitch

1 hour ago, CF Mitch said:

[…] but I might go for the diorama.
Especially if it comes with an interesting anniversary minifigure :devil: 

It doesn‘t. There is an anniversary minifig that‘s still unaccounted for, but it‘s not gonna be included in any of the sets scheduled for May :tongue:

I am surprised we have not heard about the next magazine gift yet. The issue with Chewbacca should release tomorrow or Saturday in Germany and usualy some people get it early. Hope we'll get a 5th minifig in a row! Fingers crossed :thumbup:

Looking more closely at the Droideka, it looks to me like it has a function for the arms to swing forward and backward like it's shooting. Just look at the way the arms are attached. If so, that's pretty neat.

The buildable Droideka is rather well done. The minifig scale one looks absolutely awful tho. The price is too high — 50€ would've been much more reasonable than 65€.

The diorama is... mediocre, I guess. Definitely the most sauceless one we've got yet. The build is okay, but I genuinely have no idea who this was made for. Why would anyone be willing to pay 80€ for a microscale Podracing diorama?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The diorama is... mediocre, I guess. Definitely the most sauceless one we've got yet. The build is okay, but I genuinely have no idea who this was made for. Why would anyone be willing to pay 80€ for a microscale Podracing diorama?

I don't get it either, but at least online there seems to be a lot of demand for TPM stuff. I suppose we'll see if the keyboard demand translates into actual sales, but I'm not sure.

I also worry that if this doesn't do well, lego's going to off the diorama theme. There are so many good dioramas for them to do, they just made an odd choice. Even if the goal is working in TPM, I don't know why they think this would do better than a Duel of the Fates diorama.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

3 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I am surprised we have not heard about the next magazine gift yet. The issue with Chewbacca should release tomorrow or Saturday in Germany and usualy some people get it early. Hope we'll get a 5th minifig in a row! Fingers crossed :thumbup:

Okay, just saw the first review and the next magazine gift will be a Mano N-1 starfighter minibuild. The magazine is set to be released 19 April in Germany.

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It doesn‘t. There is an anniversary minifig that‘s still unaccounted for, but it‘s not gonna be included in any of the sets scheduled for May :tongue:

Aw, I figured as much...
Well, alright, then.

Regards,
Mitch

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I also worry that if this doesn't do well, lego's going to off the diorama theme. There are so many good dioramas for them to do, they just made an odd choice. Even if the goal is working in TPM, I don't know why they think this would do better than a Duel of the Fates diorama.

I have that same worry. I want Lego to make a Star Destroyer Bridge diorama because, for me at least, it would absolutely slap as both a play-set for kids and an excellent way to display imperial officer figures.

The big droideka is a 10/10, the small one is a 5/10 and the Podracing diorama is very well done however I’m just not that interested in it.

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Okay, just saw the first review and the next magazine gift will be a Mano N-1 starfighter minibuild. The magazine is set to be released 19 April in Germany.

The streak is over! Damn I was wondering what other figures they could put in the magazines that kind of fit for the magazine. 

the more I think about the more I like the original droideka minifigure might be nostalgia talking but I know it’s clumsy compared to todays building standards I can’t make my Mind up if I like this new one of not. Definitely needs the official pics to help me decide 

1 hour ago, CloneCommando99 said:

I have that same worry. I want Lego to make a Star Destroyer Bridge diorama because, for me at least, it would absolutely slap as both a play-set for kids and an excellent way to display imperial officer figures.

We are getting into the waters of wishlisting but I want to add Darth Vader and the bounty hunters.

If they retire dioramas and not give us a Mustafar Duel or Palpatine's Arrest then Lego really is stupid, just because one thing doesn't sell doesn't mean others won't, it's their fault for picking bad choices for dioramas instead of good ones like what I said above or a Star Destroyer Bridge,Duel Of The Fates and some Clone Wars ones.

Nothing/nobody has said the dioramas are getting cancelled. However in the same breath I do feel like they along with the helmets and midi scale ships do take away from system scale sets. For me what these sets are they just aren’t worth the money they are good but to expensive even on sale I wouldn’t get them.

Also it is 25th anniversary for TPM realistically what other scenes could they do for a diorama? Most of them are of iconic scenes with dialogue. For me TPM doesn’t have much of that at least not to make a set that would sell.

Whereas AOTC and ROTS do kind of have more scenes suitable for a diorama, they aren’t going anywhere.

The podracing set looks good. Since it’s a very dynamic scene I do think they could have included something to reflect that. Maybe a scrolling background like the NES set or something. 

2 hours ago, Llewop said:

Also it is 25th anniversary for TPM realistically what other scenes could they do for a diorama? Most of them are of iconic scenes with dialogue. For me TPM doesn’t have much of that at least not to make a set that would sell.

They could do a diorama as the remake of the old Jedi Defense I and II from 2002, basically part of the hallway/cutting through the door scene of Qui gon and Obi, with some droids and droiekas, maybe some nemoidians?

3 hours ago, Llewop said:

I can't tell what you're saying here, are you saying most of the iconic scenes are dialogue? Because I'm not sure I've ever heard someone praise TPM's dialogue before. Are you saying most of the iconic scenes don't have dialogue for the quote? If so, I would say the podrace qoute isn't really a super iconic line either.

But either way, duel of the fates, right? Probably the one part of TPM most people agree is pretty good, and it has minifigures (which I do think is a factor here, to be honest. People like minifigs).

I very much like both the driodeka and diorama. I was honestly envisioning the diorama as the pods sweeping through the starting line/grandstand area, but the iteration LEGO chose looks pretty good.

It looks like two of the May 4th GWPs will be a keychain and then a patch with the 25th Anniversary R2-D2 logo on them. I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.

30 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I very much like both the driodeka and diorama. I was honestly envisioning the diorama as the pods sweeping through the starting line/grandstand area, but the iteration LEGO chose looks pretty good.

It looks like two of the May 4th GWPs will be a keychain and then a patch with the 25th Anniversary R2-D2 logo on them. I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.

I think both builds look good ( I will only get the diorama on sale like I have for all of them so far).

the gwp won’t get me to buy anything this may the 4th.  I did buy the tantive boarding last week because I decided not to wait.  

the tantive boarding set is cool.  I had some damaged pieces though but thankfully Lego is sending replacements.