MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

16 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Unfortunately I think the big ticket sets have already been reserved for the UCS Tie Interceptor and UCS Sail Barge. Has Lego ever released three UCS/MBS sets in a single year?

Yeah, in 2021.

I don't think we have confirmation that the sail barge is 2024, either, but it would make sense.

33 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Oh yeah I don’t disagree ESPECIALLY about the Arena it’s just insane we STILL haven’t gotten an arena after 21 years and counting!

We know one was in development at one point- there are prototypes of the beasts. I wonder why they didn't end up doing it.

53 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, in 2021.

I don't think we have confirmation that the sail barge is 2024, either, but it would make sense.

We know one was in development at one point- there are prototypes of the beasts. I wonder why they didn't end up doing it.

I would love to see the area in some form, but I don't think it would work at a UCS/MBS. The entire scene is a flat surface with some posts, with area seating around it. Maybe the full area could work as a microscale like the Colosseum, but I think the scene lends itself better to a $170ish set with just 1-2 posts and the three creatures, with 8-9 figures. I wonder if it's a situation where there is just too much consumer interest in spaceships, etc. to lend a flagship set to some (essentially) dinosaurs for Star Wars. The amount of new moulds that would be expected (whether needed or not), as well as the inevitable complaints that it didn't include what x consumer wanted may also be a turnoff:

The stands are too large to be included in a set effectively for less than $350 or so, but also too large to be anything other than a boring and incomplete build if they did do that (since they couldn't do the whole area "economically." The beasts would need new moulds (at least 1-2 each) to look best for a set that is kinda an experiment for the theme at the necessarily price point (no spaceships or duels - and even the last $50 duel did badly). There are 4 posts, each of which would be too repetitive to be attractive to a consumer, and if you built the ground around them, it would be flatter than 75334 (which is saying something). And inevitably people would complain that they didn't include this or that list of jedi that they wanted. 

20 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I would love to see the area in some form, but I don't think it would work at a UCS/MBS. The entire scene is a flat surface with some posts, with area seating around it. Maybe the full area could work as a microscale like the Colosseum, but I think the scene lends itself better to a $170ish set with just 1-2 posts and the three creatures, with 8-9 figures. I wonder if it's a situation where there is just too much consumer interest in spaceships, etc. to lend a flagship set to some (essentially) dinosaurs for Star Wars. The amount of new moulds that would be expected (whether needed or not), as well as the inevitable complaints that it didn't include what x consumer wanted may also be a turnoff:

The stands are too large to be included in a set effectively for less than $350 or so, but also too large to be anything other than a boring and incomplete build if they did do that (since they couldn't do the whole area "economically." The beasts would need new moulds (at least 1-2 each) to look best for a set that is kinda an experiment for the theme at the necessarily price point (no spaceships or duels - and even the last $50 duel did badly). There are 4 posts, each of which would be too repetitive to be attractive to a consumer, and if you built the ground around them, it would be flatter than 75334 (which is saying something). And inevitably people would complain that they didn't include this or that list of jedi that they wanted. 

Exactly my feelings. I've never personally understood what people were after with the arena. It's certainly iconic, but not an interesting or reasonable build in my opinion.

1 hour ago, ginja said:

Exactly my feelings. I've never personally understood what people were after with the arena. It's certainly iconic, but not an interesting or reasonable build in my opinion.

I think it just comes down to people wanting something represented in Lego without necessarily considering how it would work practically. 

9 hours ago, Meaf said:

I think it just comes down to people wanting something represented in Lego without necessarily considering how it would work practically. 

I agree wholeheartedly. I would love to see the scene represented in a Lego set, but also have a hard time imagining it being done justice in a way that wouldn't instantly turn off two thirds of the community.

Maybe some small parts of the scene could work as individual sets, but it just doesn't lend itself well to a building toy like Lego.

11 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

The way I've always thought they'd do an MBS is like this-

A semicircle or third-of-a-circle shape for the stands, broken up by a main arena gate and the balcony seating segment where the main villains sit. The stands themselves would not be THE most interesting thing, but they would be hollow, and as such wouldn't take up as much of the part count of the set as I think people think. Another element of them could easily be making that hollow interior of the stands geonosian catacombs- allowing you to fit in something like the scene where Obi-Wan spies on the separatists, or where Dooku holds him in captivity. Obviously we'd have the three posts and three (brick built) beasts, and I think we'd also likely see a midi-scale gunship, maybe ~300 pcs- giving you the spaceship you mention being needed. (and as for the last duel doing badly, I gurantee you that if it was anything other than a gray slab mainline set based on a lot of people's least favorite star wars disney+ show, it'd have done better. Don't think it was due to being a duel.). As for people complaining about it not having a billion new molds or including their favorite random jedi- they do that with everything. Look at the clones as an example. At first it was not enough clones, and now it's every other set and people are still complaining that x clone isn't out or that the helmet holes are bad or they don't like the printing style. (I feel like the Kamas being printed instead of cloth is a more legitimate gripe, but it also affects more than just clones, so I'm leaving it out.). Pentaki would be no different than any other set in that way.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:27 PM, NoOneOfImportance said:

IMO the arena would only need to be 60% of the build the other 40% could be a Geonosis Cannon,Droid Factory,The Cart that they put Anakin and Padme on,Prison Cell where they hold Obi Wan,and the CIS meeting room where you first see the Death Star plans like I don’t see how they couldn’t make this for 400-600 dollars and include like 30 figures (with 10 of them being B1’s and B2’s)

Local Walmart stocked the BP early! Building one right now (only bought one), but the 10-15 they have probably won't make it past Christmas

That TPM 25th Anniversary logo on the AAT polybag is very nice looking. I imagine we'll see that with the Podracer Diorama and Droideka as well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one other set that ties to this anniversary. I have a gut feeling that we won't get any playsets, besides Lego finally doing a Royal Naboo Starship possibly. I don't think they'd just do one microscale diorama next year as opposed to three last year and two this year, so I wonder if there will be a second diorama that will either be a retail exclusive or we just haven't heard about it yet. A Duel of the Fates diorama would be such easy money for Lego and next year would be the perfect year to do one. 

5 hours ago, ForgedInLego said:

Local Walmart stocked the BP early! Building one right now (only bought one), but the 10-15 they have probably won't make it past Christmas

Now I'm tempted to go hunting for one myself. 

11 hours ago, The Stud said:

That TPM 25th Anniversary logo on the AAT polybag is very nice looking. I imagine we'll see that with the Podracer Diorama and Droideka as well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one other set that ties to this anniversary. I have a gut feeling that we won't get any playsets, besides Lego finally doing a Royal Naboo Starship possibly.

I'm somewhat optimistic that maybe, just maybe, we may eventually get the royal starship this year. Sure, it's absolutely a random want; however, I do have it on good authority that some years back, TLG was heavily considering doing the set. It was slotted for a release window around the 20th-anniversary sets in 2019, IIRC. Unfortunately, it was dropped for what I believe was a combination of two issues they foresaw: (1) not having an appropriate number of parts to nail the shaping (I'm assuming curves and such, but they do have a number of new pieces now), and (2) the color (they were going to do it in LBG and assumed fans would not be happy with it not being chrome). I think they could pull it off now if they chose to do so for the USD $160 slot. Though, I do understand if it's still something they are hesitant to produce. An updated Gungan sub or MTT would be nice alternatives although I would like to see something they've never done before. 

The royal starship could make for a cool set to celebrate TPM’s anniversary, but I‘m not sure how good it’d look in LBG, even if they get the shaping right :laugh: Metallic grey would definitely look better, but I imagine the model would require lots of pieces that aren’t available in that colour yet :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The royal starship could make for a cool set to celebrate TPM’s anniversary, but I‘m not sure how good it’d look in LBG, even if they get the shaping right :laugh: Metallic grey would definitely look better, but I imagine the model would require lots of pieces that aren’t available in that colour yet :shrug_oh_well:

Hachiroku24 on YouTube made a MOC a few years ago in LBG, and I think it looks excellent: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TXFbNlnGX1I&pp=ygUaSGFjaGlyb2t1MjQgcm95YWwgc3RhcnNoaXA%3D

I’ve always wanted them to make this ship, and to me, this is a good alternative. However, my main concern if LEGO did it is that not all of the pieces would be LBG. I don’t feel like small patches of DBG would achieve the same look. 

3 minutes ago, Rwbricks said:

Hachiroku24 on YouTube made a MOC a few years ago in LBG, and I think it looks excellent: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TXFbNlnGX1I&pp=ygUaSGFjaGlyb2t1MjQgcm95YWwgc3RhcnNoaXA%3D

I’ve always wanted them to make this ship, and to me, this is a good alternative. However, my main concern if LEGO did it is that not all of the pieces would be LBG. I don’t feel like small patches of DBG would achieve the same look. 

Don't get me wrong- Hachiroku24 does some great work- his transformers mocs and the way he does bigfigs like Lizard and Venom are both miles upon miles beyond anything I could do- but I can't see lego putting that model out as an official set in 2023. It's an excellent MOC, but I think it shows why lego hasn't done an official set of this ship yet- aside from all the curvature, it's entirely monochrome, and lego is not a fan of that. As others have said, I think the most we could see is an 18+ midi-scale one.

I don't know why we're all taking the TPM label to mean a royal starship anyway. I feel like the MTT fits so much better in a variety of ways- it's a combat vehicle, the CIS uses it and we've been saying for a year or two now there isn't enough big CIS stuff, it's able to fit in a variety of situations from the era, etc. If you ask a standard kid if they'd rather have a massive rolling tank that unleashes a legion of droids, or a diplomatic cruiser that may be slightly shiny in some areas, 99.9% of them are going with the tank.

I could also see a remake of naboo starfighter and vulture droid. It's been 9 years since the last yellow naboo fighter, and 10 since the last vulture droid. Lego used to love releasing the naboo fighter every 4 years or so, and it's probably the most iconic ship out of TPM. It's also another 2-pack of opposing starfighters, and lego seems to be a fan of that set style right now.

22 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't know why we're all taking the TPM label to mean a royal starship anyway. I feel like the MTT fits so much better in a variety of ways- it's a combat vehicle, the CIS uses it and we've been saying for a year or two now there isn't enough big CIS stuff, it's able to fit in a variety of situations from the era, etc. If you ask a standard kid if they'd rather have a massive rolling tank that unleashes a legion of droids, or a diplomatic cruiser that may be slightly shiny in some areas, 99.9% of them are going with the tank.

Now that you bring it up, an MTT is a much more likely option. It works a a companion/adversary to the Gunship and AT-TE, and they have remade it before, so we know they know how to do it. 

On a separate note, as someone who hasn’t gotten an Ewok since the 2009 Battle of Endor, is the Ewok in the advent calendar technically a new mold? My family and I are going out of town for the holidays, so we opened the rest of the calendar this morning. Without spoiling the specific day, when we got to the Ewok, I noticed that it looks to be dual-molded between the hood and the body/fur. Is this a new occurrence, or am I just out of the loop when it comes to Ewoks?

19 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I could also see a remake of naboo starfighter and vulture droid. It's been 9 years since the last yellow naboo fighter, and 10 since the last vulture droid. Lego used to love releasing the naboo fighter every 4 years or so, and it's probably the most iconic ship out of TPM. It's also another 2-pack of opposing starfighters, and lego seems to be a fan of that set style right now.

I think an MTT is very likely to happen within the next few years, but I believe Lego would be more likely to go for the blue/gray CIS color scheme from TCW over the brown color from TPM. I agree that kids would be more interested in an MTT over the Royal Starship, but I also think kids would also be far more interested in clones to fight against a tank of battle droids as opposed to some Gungans. And if it weren't for the fact that we have Mando's N-1 on shelves right now, I'd say next year would be perfect for a new Naboo Starfighter. 

It is interesting to wonder what Lego conceivably could do for the 25th anniversary of this movie that helped kick off the Lego theme, but I'll probably take my speculation and predictions to the Wishlist thread.

1 hour ago, Rwbricks said:

Now that you bring it up, an MTT is a much more likely option. It works a a companion/adversary to the Gunship and AT-TE, and they have remade it before, so we know they know how to do it. 

On a separate note, as someone who hasn’t gotten an Ewok since the 2009 Battle of Endor, is the Ewok in the advent calendar technically a new mold? My family and I are going out of town for the holidays, so we opened the rest of the calendar this morning. Without spoiling the specific day, when we got to the Ewok, I noticed that it looks to be dual-molded between the hood and the body/fur. Is this a new occurrence, or am I just out of the loop when it comes to Ewoks?

If it is dual-molded, it would be a new mold. And if it is a new mold, I highly doubt they'd make one just for a calendar, so I wonder if more endor sets may be coming. (Where's that Bunker/Village MBS?)

40 minutes ago, The Stud said:

I think an MTT is very likely to happen within the next few years, but I believe Lego would be more likely to go for the blue/gray CIS color scheme from TCW over the brown color from TPM. I agree that kids would be more interested in an MTT over the Royal Starship, but I also think kids would also be far more interested in clones to fight against a tank of battle droids as opposed to some Gungans. And if it weren't for the fact that we have Mando's N-1 on shelves right now, I'd say next year would be perfect for a new Naboo Starfighter. 

It is interesting to wonder what Lego conceivably could do for the 25th anniversary of this movie that helped kick off the Lego theme, but I'll probably take my speculation and predictions to the Wishlist thread.

My thoughts here are that lego may want to simultaneously use clones and the more iconic brown MTT, and there is an option- Battlefront 2 prominently featured the brown MTT on naboo fighting a clone legion. 

As for the N-1, I'm wondering if a different color scheme, smaller size, and being part of a 2-pack would be enough to differentiate it from Mando's. It feels like it should be, but this is the same company that doesn't like putting out system versions of a set if the UCS version is already on shelves unless it's about to retire.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:26 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't know why we're all taking the TPM label to mean a royal starship anyway. I feel like the MTT fits so much better in a variety of ways

Lego right now tends to re-release sets with a twist. The AT-TE was Utapau-based whilst the Gunship was a variant we’ve never had before. I really think we are more likely to see a blue MTT based on TCW, instead. 

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

My thoughts here are that lego may want to simultaneously use clones and the more iconic brown MTT, and there is an option- Battlefront 2 prominently featured the brown MTT on naboo fighting a clone legion

Not only that, but there is a brown MTT in the Invisible Hand's hangar during the battle of Coruscant!

IMO the thing is that CIS livery beats the monochromatic Trade Federation colour schemes any day of the week, they’re just more visually appealing and often make for a good contrast against the GAR vehicles we’ve seen so far. 

7 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

As for the N-1, I'm wondering if a different color scheme, smaller size, and being part of a 2-pack would be enough to differentiate it from Mando's. It feels like it should be, but this is the same company that doesn't like putting out system versions of a set if the UCS version is already on shelves unless it's about to retire.

A smaller scale would be great. I don't think a new N1 would have to worry about Mando's version. Surely that one will be on its why to retirement by the time the summer wave hits. All the retailers around me have already stopped stocking it months ago.

5 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Lego right now tends to re-release sets with a twist. The AT-TE was Utapau-based whilst the Gunship was a variant we’ve never had before. I really think we are more likely to see a blue MTT based on TCW, instead. 

A lot of that seemed down to the minifigure selection. Lego knew fans wanted Cody and Fox for some time and this was their chance to finally include them. While a blue MTT could probably include another clone commander I'd rather see Lego take the opportunity to finally release a Boss Nass figure with the Trade Federation version.

16 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

IMO the thing is that CIS livery beats the monochromatic Trade Federation colour schemes any day of the week, they’re just more visually appealing and often make for a good contrast against the GAR vehicles we’ve seen so far. 

I don't think either color pallet is particularly interesting. Many of the CIS vehicles including the MTT are still predominantly gray in color like the majority of Star Wars sets. The splashes of blue isn't enough to break that up. The colors of the Trade Federation may be fairly boring but the one advantage it does have is that there's a lot less brown vehicles out there compared to all the gray. The Sail Barge and Sandcrawler are really the only other two major ones.

Personally, I prefer the brown and tan of the Trade Federation MTT and AAT to the light gray and dark blue of the Separatist versions.

8 minutes ago, wesker said:

A lot of that seemed down to the minifigure selection. Lego knew fans wanted Cody and Fox for some time and this was their chance to finally include them. While a blue MTT could probably include another clone commander I'd rather see Lego take the opportunity to finally release a Boss Nass figure with the Trade Federation version.

I don't think either color pallet is particularly interesting. Many of the CIS vehicles including the MTT are still predominantly gray in color like the majority of Star Wars sets. The splashes of blue isn't enough to break that up. The colors of the Trade Federation may be fairly boring but the one advantage it does have is that there's a lot less brown vehicles out there compared to all the gray. The Sail Barge and Sandcrawler are really the only other two major ones.

Boss Nass would be perfect in a Trade Federation MTT variant + the blue variant hasn't been seen in canon in years while the brown has more significance as it is a more iconic 25 anniversary set. I also don't think we've had a Gungan in 5 years now, so getting Gungans on shelves again for new fans would be better than even more clones since we already have 7+ sets on shelves. 

However, I don't think the color of ships dictates a ton of what Lego does, so the grey CW variant shouldn't be any different. TLG had a chance to make a really cool chrome N1 for Mando but instead just made ANOTHER grey SW ship. I assure you they do not care about SW sets all being grey. Either way, I do think we see a Trade Federation MTT in 24' or 25' cause it has officially been too long since we had any big playscale CIS ship. 

5 hours ago, ForgedInLego said:

Not only that, but there is a brown MTT in the Invisible Hand's hangar during the battle of Coruscant!

This. People need to understand that apart from the vulture and tri-droids, separatist capital ships, and droid gunships, none of the vehicles of the CIS that appeared in the films or the original EU continuity were CIS blue/grey. The 2008 Filoni CW series chose to apply that paint scheme to vehicles that never had it in the films. The AATs in ROTS seen in the background of the Felucia battle scene where Secura gets shot were Trade Federation Tan. 

I can understand people wanting different color schemes but prefer ones that are more visually consistent with the actual movies. Depending on the parts, one can always color-swap many parts to get what one wants. We've seen where many people have done that with the current gunship to significant effect. 

Edited by joebiwankenobi

All I hope for in a new MTT is its scaled closer to the 2007 version, I could care less about the color scheme honestly. I think at the speculated 160-170$ price point they can get close.

Although the topic is veering slightly to the off, my point regarding the MTT was less about an MTT being re-released in 2024, but for whenever LEGO decide to release one which I think is soon. 

A lot of the discussion seemed to assume if an MTT was to be released it HAS to be next year for TPM wave. I don’t think this is the case. 

15 hours ago, joebiwankenobi said:

People need to understand that apart from the vulture and tri-droids, separatist capital ships, and droid gunships, none of the vehicles of the CIS that appeared in the films or the original EU continuity were CIS blue/grey. The 2008 Filoni CW series chose to apply that paint scheme to vehicles that never had it in the films. The AATs in ROTS seen in the background of the Felucia battle scene where Secura gets shot were Trade Federation Tan. 

Yes, but Lego is seemingly moving towards the blue colour scheme for their droid sets. If your point was entirely correct in this context, we’d have never seen a blue STAP released in the battle pack just. 

Nobody is saying Lego should release a blue MTT for the 25th anniversary of TPM. 

5 minutes ago, Gontron said:

All I hope for in a new MTT is its scaled closer to the 2007 version, I could care less about the color scheme honestly. I think at the speculated 160-170$ price point they can get close.

Sadly we live in a time where Lego is obsessed with downscaled, less complete sets. I’d have zero faith in them producing sets of this calibre you mention at a similar price point. The Coruscant Guard Gunship was the final nail in the coffin for my hope. 

Edited by ArrowBricks