Oky

[ENTRY] Treasure Island

Ahoy there! This is an entry for the Mini Set Category.

In the middle of the Caribbean, there is a tiny island with a palm tree where the fearless pirate Cutlass Jane hides here treasure.

53114979646_0f03a579f8_z.jpg

A skull marks the spot! Use the shovel to remove the sand and reveal the shiny doubloons!

53115182749_faf64221fe_z.jpg

This 30-piece set also includes a small tub and paddle that she can use to get to the island.

53114979616_5f477077ca_z.jpg

This would be the first mini set to feature a female pirate!

53115475338_3b5d9f25cd_z.jpg

I hope ye fancy me entry. Comment away, mateys! :pir-wench:

2 hours ago, Oky said:

This 30-piece set also includes a small tub and paddle that she can use to get to the island.

53114979616_5f477077ca_z.jpg

Simple yet effective - great work! :pir-huzzah2:

Lovely idea, i like the choice of accecories, main character, crow's nest as a craft and the way that hidden stash is built. Very nice. I'd say that there's lot of good thinking in here, play value and i would say life too, tho Your palm tree looks a but whitered ;) it's sort of reminds me of a chinese cabbage honestly ;) i understand that You've wanted to use it to establish the fact that it's clearly thats an island, and nothing fits an island better than a lonely palm tree, but i wonder if this element could have been done in a better and provide more fun during plays. Like what if there was a little islanders totem instead? Or if it was a pirate's/soldier's grave, or even small mast, top of the mast, which could hint, indicate a possiblity that there's a whole wreck burried under that little piece of sand ;) A wreck with even more treasure ;) 

Then again i think it could use little color, maybe i'm just a purist, but i do think it would look better if You'd change that paddle into red at least :) And if any changes would allow that a red parrot could sit somewhere on the highest top of the island, to greet tourists, it would give it even more charm ;)  

Wow very cool job indeed. Those new pieces can really make a difference and bring such a set to a level that wasn't possible back in the eighties. 

Extremely clever.  The shovel/crate gimmick is original and well-executed.  The crow's nest is a nice callback to 6260.

The minifigure herself looks good, and it's nice that the top part of the legs matches the bottom part of the monster hunters corset, but the cowboy boots and star belt buckle don't really fit a pirate IMHO.

I agree with the other comment that this needs more color; swap out the palm leaves for regular green, the oar for a red one, and it would look a lot more like an official set.

The palm leaves also look pretty sad, can they be stacked on top of each other without part 68888 so they stick out more?

What a neat little play set! The hidden stash play feature is very well executed. Another thing I'd suggest is to add a 1x4 tile over the palm tree to cover some gaps and give the tree some more stability.

I agree with most of the comments and suggestions already given by others. The palm tree design is a bit strange, a red oar would add some much needed color and the star buckle doesn't fit the pirates too much. If you really want to keep the fancy boots, use the same color plain hips - or turn this one around for the presentation.

Otherwise a very strong entry as is expected from you. :)

This is a very charming little build! It's extremely impressive how much play value and visual appeal you managed to pack into a model that's smaller even than a lot of modern polybag sets. Cutlass Jane is also a great design, making clever use of parts from outside the Pirates theme to create a look that stands out brilliantly from other LEGO Pirates figures ("classic" and modern alike)!

Aye, others said it, it looks great my only suggestion is revisiting the tree, it looks a bit off, although I could not have done any better so... happy building :) 

The simplest ideas are the most effective!

I like the minimalist build, the intergration of the storage crate into the island, the choice of legs and torsos for our lady-pirate! This is me being selfish, but you give her a hook-hand, and I'd buy the pieces to replicate this set in a heartbeat!

I echo the other replies, you really got that miniset vibe right incorperated in the modern style. 

Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Let me address some of the f the criticisms. 

On 8/14/2023 at 7:58 AM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Great to see a female pirate! That eye patch looks funny though :pir_laugh2:

Yes, I noticed this as well while putting this fig together. Odd how they designed it so that the patch is just kinda drooping down from the top of her head, but it’s one of the few female pirate heads.

On 8/14/2023 at 8:07 AM, Mazin said:

i do think it would look better if You'd change that paddle into red at least :) And if any changes would allow that a red parrot could sit somewhere on the highest top of the island, to greet tourists, it would give it even more charm ;)  

I did think about adding an animal of some kind, but couldn’t find a good way to add one in a way that looks good. Besides, I doubt anything could survive on an island with nothing but a single palm tree. 

As for the paddle, I was never a fan of the red ones. I was going for the more realistic color scheme in modern sets like in 70411 Treasure Island.

70411-1.jpg?201411050841

On 8/14/2023 at 3:23 PM, iragm said:

The minifigure herself looks good, and it's nice that the top part of the legs matches the bottom part of the monster hunters corset, but the cowboy boots and star belt buckle don't really fit a pirate IMHO.

Fair point. I just really liked how these legs match the rest of the figure as you said and thought they were piratey enough. 

On 8/15/2023 at 12:20 PM, MstrOfPppts said:

Another thing I'd suggest is to add a 1x4 tile over the palm tree to cover some gaps and give the tree some more stability.

The tree is actually a lot more stable than you might think and doing this would interfere with the play feature. 

On 8/15/2023 at 12:20 PM, MstrOfPppts said:

The palm tree design is a bit strange

While I don’t disagree, I wanted to use some modern parts for it, and this is how LEGO does palm trees in recent mini sets like the Friends polybags. 

On 8/14/2023 at 3:23 PM, iragm said:

The palm leaves also look pretty sad, can they be stacked on top of each other without part 68888 so they stick out more?

If you do that, not only are the leaves offset, but also point upward too much. 

On 8/14/2023 at 8:07 AM, Mazin said:

I wonder if this element could have been done in a better and provide more fun during plays. Like what if there was a little islanders totem instead? Or if it was a pirate's/soldier's grave, or even small mast, top of the mast, which could hint, indicate a possiblity that there's a whole wreck burried under that little piece of sand ;) A wreck with even more treasure ;) 

interesting suggestions, but I don’t think they would fit the story of the set. As you said, I was going for that typical island with palm tree look. 

Rebuilding this at home after the competition. I absolutely adore this build, it’s truely the most “pirates” set from all the builds we saw.